401 Depot Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.muer.com/
- Phone: 7347690592
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 3:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 3:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Early Bird: Monday - Friday: 3:30pm - 5:30pm, Sunday: 3:30pm - 4:30pm
Light Fare: Sunday: 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Mark Sanchez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: The Gandy Dancer also offers off site catering for corporate receptions, product launches & business lunches.
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Band on Sunday's from 10:00am until 2:00pm. Live Band on Wednesday's from 6:00pm until 10:0pn through end of August.
A word from Gandy Dancer
Known in railroading days as "the finest station between Buffalo and Chicago", the majestic Michigan Central Railroad Depot deserves that commendation more than ever as the Gandy Dancer now.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Gandy Dancer - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Gandy Dancer reviews from OpenTable diners
309 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (234)romantic (157)good for groups (104)fit for foodies (103)scenic view (102)neighborhood gem (100)great for brunch (78)notable wine list (62)great for lunch (45)great for outdoor dining (19)kid-friendly (17)late-night find (13)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (9)Show More
- will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014what a nice way to spend a Sunday! The food and music were perfect. We had a great server. He took care of table maintenance, an art form that has gone by the wayside. It was a special treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeStealthDined on 10/18/2014Great food and great ambiance for special occasions. Special menu printed for our special occasion. Waiter was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a destination restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Valet parking made for an easy entry. We had a short time to dine before a concert but our server was fantastic. Wine and beer list was nicely varied. Warm bread with salmon pate was a tasty was to being the meal-also recommend the butternut bisque. My companion had the duck which he raved about for days. My pecan crusted mahi mahi was a bit bland after the plethora of explosive flavors to that point of the meal, but it was acceptable. Would definitely return when in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Returned againOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Each time that we have dined here, it has special memories, thanks. Everything about the food, service, etc. remains great. Our server did a very wonderful job, also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- <3JGrantDined on 10/16/2014Out of all the places to go in AA...this is my fave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Thoroughly enjoyed the experience......first time attending, will certainly be back!Special Features:
- BrunchpetesDined on 10/12/2014The Eggs Benedict was tasty although they scrimped on the hollandaise sauce and it could have been a lot warmer. The made to order omelet was excellent. Everything else that I tried was excellent. The number of choices was amazing.Special Features:
- Fantastic!luv2eatDined on 10/11/2014The customer service here is amazing. I had mentioned that it was my husband's birthday when making the reservation and he was greeted with a "happy birthday" when we walked in. It made his day:). They also brought out a creme brule with a candle in it for his birthday treat. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServicePippiDined on 10/11/2014We went before the U of M game. We had excellent food, great recommendations and great service.Special Features:
- Great spotLuv2dineDined on 10/11/2014This was a great find for our weekend in Ann Arbor. Food was amazing and the service was fantastic. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nocooking4meDined on 10/10/2014First ate here 25 years ago and the food did not disappoint. Our server was very pleasant but forgot our bread for about 15 minutes after we asked for it. The calamari appetizer was light and crisp. Portions were generous. Everyone in our party had a seafood dish and not much was left on our plates.Special Features:
- Worth a (rail) stop!A2fanVIPDined on 10/9/2014The Gandy Dancer is a unique restaurant set within the old Ann Arbor Railroad Station. The ambiance of a yesteryear is mesmerizing, but the service is modern-age great. The menu boasts a broad array of American fare and we were surprised by the quality and freshness of the seafood in particular. While the menu varies seasonally, the cranberry infused, pecan encrusted mahi-mahi was awesome and the apple embossed seabass delightful. The wine menu could use a tinkering between low-end drinkables and over-priced high ends, but the cocktail menu is great. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Solid but not blown awayyoungkoterDined on 10/7/2014It was a very good choice but it was definitely nothing special. Had the prime rib and it was okay. Wine list was fairly good. Had this tuna/avocado tar tar of sorts. Was a little flavorless honestly.Special Features:
- Sentimental journeySeldomopinioniated1Dined on 10/6/2014The beautiful stone construction of this classic era building carries one back to the age of the industrial revolution when many grand new enterprises were prospering in the Great State of Michigan. This old railroad station, built in the gilded age of rail transportation features the architectural detail that was common to that era. We watched over the tracks as a whitetail doe and her fawn evading a large house cat bold enough to believe he could fell an animal many times his size. The service was as fine as I have had in European restaurants and the autumn features on the menu were not only imaginative but truly delicious. The butter nut squash bisque was particularly tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014The food, drinks, view and service were all delicious!Special Features:
- Something for everyoneMGM7Dined on 10/5/2014We had a diverse group and everyone loved Gandy Dancer. The food was great - we could carry on conversation without shouting - the service was superb - they thought of everything! Wonderful experience and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodbloomDined on 10/5/2014Food was great many years ago and but when recently visited food was not as expected. Most food are too salty and was disappointing. Manager offered free desert but we just left after main meal.Special Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/4/2014I would dine here all the time if I lived closer....always a great dining experience from start to finish. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep coming back!A2ReduxDined on 10/4/2014We have eaten at The Gandy Dancer for about 30 years. It is always exceptional, great food, excellent service, interesting venue. It is located in a former train station, so every so often a train goes by, right next to your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!JohnkipDined on 10/3/2014We had an awesome time on our anniversary dinner! service and food were top notch. Our waitress was very friendly helpful and made many suggestions for different menu items! Added bonus was the menu was personalized for our special day!!!Special Features:
- Great staffFranDined on 9/30/2014Overall, the waitstaff is very warm, genuine, friendly, and happy to see the customers. You feel as though they really appreciate your business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- our first anniversarylovebirds1Dined on 9/28/2014My wife and I had an absolutely memorable time. Everything was perfect, from the time drove up to the valet parking, to the reception we received at the front, our table placement and menu noting our 1st Anniversary, the waitress Patty who was exceptional to the menu which was very selective and offered great choices, to the food which was superb (the best prime rib I have had in a very long time), through our dessert, the attention by the manager, the return to the valet with our car waiting for us. It was a perfect evening. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Excellent, like always!spartanalum12Dined on 9/28/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at the Gandy Dancer this weekend. It was a special occasion so the menu prices were justifiable (it's a little pricey). As always, the food was incredible. The Dynamite Scallops are a staple appetizer for our family; we could make a meal of them! Even my sister who does not like seafood tried one and loved it. The recommended fish was fresh and the lobster was cooked to perfection. The drinks were great too. We hesitated ordering the autumn sangria in fear of it being too sweet, but it ended up being refreshing with just the right amount of sweetness. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- ClaustrophobiaKeithSDined on 9/27/2014We were seated in a small anteroom which I found, as the evening wore on, to be confining and uncomfortable. Restaurant was not that busy, but I understand that you sit your two-tops where you have them. Wasn't really able to enjoy the dinner. Now, the waiter was skilled, attentive, and service was excellent. Food likely was good, or better, but I was outside my comfort zone and didn't finish the entre. Room had not windows, room for one other two-top and a four-top.Special Features:
- Not disappointed!Jm48108Dined on 9/26/2014We went for our 45th Wedding Anniversary. We both just wanted an extra special meal to commemorate the occasion. We had a lovely mea. The food offered many choices, was well prepared and on the special side that we were looking for. The staff greeted us with anniversary wishes from the moment we arrived. Even our menu wished us Happy Anniversay!Special Features:
- Consistent experienceProfessorVIPDined on 9/25/2014I dine here often with business guest. Key is the ambience. Service is usually good but can be mixed.Special Features:
- A lovely birthday celebrationJanetDined on 9/25/2014In among my colleague Elaine's other birthday celebrations, I wanted to take this good friend out for a quiet birthday dinner where we could unwind after completing an especially busy time we'd had with a project. It was just a Wednesday night after work, but the staff made it special with Elaine's name on the top of her menu, a birthday dessert, and wonderful service that allowed us to have a leisurely time relaxing and talking. The Gandy Dancer is really a go-to place whenever you need a lovely setting, good food, attentive wait staff, and just an overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MuerFanDined on 9/22/2014Love coming to this restaurant great food and service every time.Special Features:
- Good, but not impressed.IwantedtoenjoyitDined on 9/21/2014I will say that my wife and I were impressed with Gandy Dancer until we sat down. The hostess mentioned that the third and fourth set of dishes would be removed after our server came, which never happened. As I looked down the row of tables, I saw this didn't happen at any table that I could see. Our food came quickly, but there was a serious gnat problem in that outdoor area. Many tables observed this. I will always say that I try to be as polite as possible as I know what wait staff go through on a daily basis, so I know I wasn't rude during our visit. However, I had the lemon sauce from my Whitefish poured into my lap as our Waitress was sitting the plate done, even as I tried to warn her. Luckily I was able to get out of the way.Special Features:
- Always perfectFancyfreeDined on 9/20/2014I have always loved the Gandy Dancer and it has been years since I was there. We went for a birthday dinner this weekend and it was excellent, every part of it. It was relaxing and enjoyable, the salmon rockefeller was wonderful, clam chowder awesome.Special Features:
- Still great after 40 yearsMikeH15Dined on 9/20/2014We have eaten here for 40 years and it is still a great place to go. The menu updates but not too fast or too often, its just right. Quality and quantity is on the mark. Its still fub to watch the trains come and go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reunion weekendZestructionDined on 9/19/2014Met for a reunion with college buddies and families, around 20 people. Everything was great, from our server Jenny through the food. Only small issue was the temperature at our table - too cold for most of mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good!GoBlueDined on 9/19/2014We had a group of 10 and they put us at a great table. The food and the service were excellent and the pace of the meal was very nice. We will go again!Special Features:
- Special OccasionYodelDined on 9/19/2014This is a special occasion restaurant. The food is delicious and the service a great. We always go on University of Michigan's Parent's weekend with our son. It doesn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PretentiousFlyingSuzVIPDined on 9/19/2014We ordered and tasted a variety of fish dishes. Each was served with sauces that tasted like store bought salad mayo or dressing. The salmon was over cooked. Nothing good to say here. Our view was dirt and railroad tracks--pretty ugly. The service was rushed.
- Great Building!!specialoccasionDined on 9/19/2014Our last visit to The Gandy Dancer was really average. We went to Celebrate a 25th Wedding Anniversary. The menu was clever, with the names and Happy 25th across the top. The Brie was excellent. The Shrimp Cocktail was chewy and watery, with a very strong taste of fish. The Fillet was excellent, and came with 2 stalks of Asparagus. The Whitefish had no flavor at all, even though it was encrusted. Our server was nice enough, the service was slow. One person in our party had to keep moving because he was seated in a heavily used aisle area. The building is beautiful!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Many excellent restaurants in Ann Arbor. This one tops the list so far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMsDavisfinedinningDined on 9/17/2014I went to the Gandy Dancer for my bithday and loved my dinning experience. The service was great, food was good although it was a little cool. The wine was great. I will definitely return soon. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experience!CarolDined on 9/16/2014The best Gazpacho I've ever had! Service was excellent. There were six of us dining and we all ordered a different fish entrée. We all commented how delicious it was. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. I would highly recommend dining there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!nopeDined on 9/16/2014Definetely recommend anyone who would like to enjoy the outstanding food in AA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.