455 E 84th Dr
Merrillville, IN 46410Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://gambaristorante.com/
- Phone: (219) 736-5000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Wine Bar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Gamba Ristorante is the ideal setting for any special occasion. It is perfectly suited for weddings, holiday parties, rehearsal dinners, corporate lunch or dinners, brunches, birthday parties and bridal showers.
- Private Party Contact: Michaelle Gamba 2197365000x
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment every Thursday Nights 7-9pm
A word from Gamba Ristorante
The former owners of the Venezia Bar & Grill and Café Venezia, Benito and Hilda Gamba, have combined their efforts into the Gamba Ristorante. Located in Merrillville, this restaurant is housed in an architectural masterpiece, which is hard to miss with its circular design and copper roof. Modeled after upscale restaurants in exotic European locations, the menu offers classic Italian cuisine. The wine room boasts storage space for 1,000 bottles. A banquet hall holds up to 175 people and looks out onto an open courtyard.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Gamba Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Merrillville, IN ›
Gamba Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (28)fit for foodies (26)romantic (26)good for groups (16)notable wine list (14)neighborhood gem (14)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (6)late-night find (4)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Delicious, hidden findADLADLADLDined on 11/4/2014Great hidden find! Menu variety is quite good, service was attentive and friendly, food was prepared, seasoned, presented quite nicely. Only odd thing was the entry way! Took a wrong turn and then the host had me lead the way out instead of following her - a bit rude about it too. Thankfully, the evening took a quick positive turn after that and remained a pleasant evening among friends and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy2Dined on 11/1/2014Food was outstanding. Nice atmosphere. Good wine list to choose from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGKatadinDined on 10/24/2014Food was superb and the waitstaff attentive and helpful. Would definitely go there again and recommend it highly.Special Features:
- Fantastic!JulesDined on 10/18/2014The ambiance of the restaurant was spectacular, the staff was friendly and attentive - they treated us like we were family/ VIP. Food was outstanding. Best meal I've had in years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Find!PatiD13Dined on 10/18/2014We were traveling and found this restaurant via Restaurant.com - and would never have found it otherwise. What a wonderful experience. Quiet so that you can actually talk (not scream) to your table partner. Professional service. Food was excellent - and they have half orders of some items which allows a "average female appetite" to have and appetizer as well as an entree. They keep your white wine on ice - a lost art in many places. Signore Gamba is on site, stops at every table, and in general, runs a tight ship.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Meal was just ok, not hot, just warm. Nothing special. They brought out our meal to another table, it sat there then they say their mistake and brought it to our table. Not very classy! Probably why it was warm.
- TotalexperianceTotalExperDinDined on 10/9/2014Server inexperienced and was not familiar with basics of menu. At 6:30, ran out of soup. Entrees were poor. We have been here multiple times and this was noticeably different in all respects.Special Features:
- ClassyyourbestfriendDined on 10/2/2014Only about three real class places in town. I wish folks were more dressy when they come. We have enough casual places. Jeans and tee shirts don't go with sitting next to someone in a suit and dress shoes. Great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a race horse that's a muleforurconsumptionDined on 9/27/2014really tried to like this place. It was our third try the other night. 3 strikes it's out! Servers are good, building is awesome, food sub-par. If you want to go some place for the view - go there. If you want good food - go some where else. They need to get a new head chef and take a good look at what they are trying to do. There's no dish on the menu that's worth the price or going back for. I like fine dining and don't mind paying the price if worth it. Don't have the concept down and seem to miss the point on dishes that are made there.
- Local GemgutenappetitDined on 9/27/2014Gamba's was first-rate in food and service. We went to celebrate an occasion and it was the perfect restaurant and made our celebration very memorable, relaxing and totally enjoyable. Food and service was excellent. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GailieDined on 9/18/2014Great place for all your celebration needs and then some!!!!Special Features:
- Birthday celebration hitAmobDined on 9/13/2014We had a wonderful first visit at Gamba and quickly made the desicion we would be coming back. The attention to detail was top. I had mentioned in my online reservation that this was a bday celebration and they paid attention and made it very special. The food and wine (and desserts) were wonderful. We eat out often in Chicago and it is splendid to find a quality (and Chicago worthy) resturant a mile from home. Cider braised pork!!! I hope this is a special often.Special Features:
- GerryDined on 9/9/2014I have reviewed Gamba before but it gets better everytime we go there. Fois gras, pasta with scallops and shrimp, lamb loin, and truly outstanding veal loin made for a very memorable dinner . Half orders are available. I would nominate Gamba as the outstanding restaurant in Northwest Indiana!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Jewel of a RestaurantGerryDined on 9/2/2014We had a wonderful late lunch in a private room for the five of us . Good wine selection and very reasonable prices. The food was outstanding! Our party had potato/ fennel soup, mussels, shrimp and scallop risotto, veal scallopini, and wonderful beat salad. All very delicious. Service was excellent. I would not hesitate to recommend Gamba's , and certainly plan to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gamba never disappointsMOsikaDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I were celebrating our birthdays at Gamba Ristorante. The food was absolutely delicious and beautifully prepared. We ordered the oysters and carpaccio for appetizers. I would recommend both. I had a seafood pasta dish that was a generous portion with an abundance of shrimp and scallops. My husband ordered the Chicken Saltimbocca, which he also enjoyed. The service was attentive, friendly and accommodating. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Best in area, hands down!!!!!!!!JDKnowzGoodFoodDined on 8/21/2014greeting and taking care of patrons for 25 years! Great food, excellant service & welcoming atmosphere make Gamba's the best restaurant in NW indiana and competes with Chicago's best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!jlafave22VIPDined on 8/21/2014Great bar menu and wonderful service! Food was high quality and expressed vibrtant flavors. However, you should make an early reservations as many menu items are limited in quantity and may not be available at later dining hours.Special Features:
- Outstanding NW Indiana Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/18/2014I have been eyeing this place form afar for quite awhile, and finally decided to go to celebrate my wife's birthday and our anniversary. The decor is wonderful, with an ambiance rarely seen here in NW Indiana. The service was Very good, and the food was outstanding. The sous chef even took time out to come and personally speak to us, and then brought us the most wonderful peach sorbet and tiramisu that we have ever had. Even the company was good - the folks at the table next to us took time to chat with us and we all had a wonderful time until it was time to close. We will definitely be back, as this place is much too good to stay away from, especially being as close to us as it is.Special Features:
- Just passing thru townOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2014We needed to take a dinner stop in Merrilville, and turned to the OpenTable listing. A great find. I am sure we will regularly stop here on trips to Chicago. Extremely tasty dishes. Very nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant dining experienceJOHNDined on 8/11/2014My wife and I recently went to Gamba's to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were promptly greeted by Mr. Gamba as if we were family. The server was very helpful and attentive throughout the evening. Our food was truly outstanding. The entire experience was something we will fondly remember for years. We endorse Gamba Restorante with our highest possible recommendation for fine dining enthusiasts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gambab2good2uDined on 8/9/2014Want to treat yourself, or just be good to yourself? A trip to Gamba's restaurant is in order. Food is wonderful, you get what you pay for.Special Features:
- The following 134 reviews are from the Gamba Ristorante reviews archive.
- Excellent food! Excellent service!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2014Truly, truly enjoyed this restaurant! Our service was phenomenal! The food was superb! The boneless ribeye was succulent, it melted in your mouth! Definitely going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemByTeeDined on 7/19/2014Gamba's is definitely off the beaten path. We even had trouble finding the entrance. However, my husband and I had an excellent server and a delicious meal. We will visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningFoodieVIPDined on 7/19/2014From the greeting at the entrance, to the top-notch service, to the interesting selections on the menu everything about the night was great. With so many tasty choices on the menu it was really hard to pick an entree. We did not go wrong with the evening risotto and the pennette. Both had rich flavors that permeated the dishes. I would definitely return and hope to do so soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentEaterDined on 7/9/2014Food was decent but the portions are smaller than desired. Good ambiance for a night out or romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/8/2014Disappointing. Second time at this restaurant and was expecting same experience as first time. Kale salad is excellent. Ordered lamb loin. It was rubbery and fatty. My date ordered the meatball pasta dish which was good, but seemed overpriced for a pasta dish. Seated at a table close to where are waiter seemed to be stationed. It was awkward talking with her hovering. A table of 8 was seated nearby and man at the head of the table spent a considerable amount of time on his cell phone. Left a lot to be desired. No desert menu - only ice cream. If I return I will go only for the kale salad and a glass of wine.Special Features:
- druggeri85Dined on 7/5/2014Waiter wasn't the most pleasant. He tended non-stop to a table nearby. Didn't pay much attention to us and was a bit snooty. Food was great but pricey and very small portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasedVIPDined on 6/17/2014Fabulous! First time to Gamba and it was great - food, service, atmosphere. We went for my husband's birthday and it was a wonderful place for a quiet, intimate dinner for adults.Special Features:
- Just OkaynotsureDined on 6/6/2014This was my third time being here. My first two experiences were fantastic, this one not so good. Must have had a new chef I'm assuming as the food was not worth the money at all. We ordered a flatbread pizza that was soggy and one of the ribeye steaks was not cooked at all. Was completely raw in the middle, we had to send it back. Not sure I will be able to bring myself to go back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!CPFoodieDined on 5/28/2014Would recommend for excellent food, atmosphere and service. Could not have had a finer time. Quiet and very intimate.Special Features:
- Fine Dining in NW IndianaGerryDined on 5/20/2014Server was owner's daughter, and very gracious and knowledgeable about the food. The food was outstanding and even though I ordered the small plate there was more than enough to eat. The tradition of fine dining continues at Gamba's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great @ Gamba!ThebaileysloveGamba1Dined on 5/16/2014Hidden gem in Merrillville, great food, romantic & moderate pricing❤️❤️Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for 20+ yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/16/2014Went to Gamba to celebrate many special occassions since my husband and I first offical date was at Cafe Venzia. We will be married 20 years this upcoming week. Many things have changed since Cafe Venzia has become Gamba however the great food, service, and passion for their restaurant and customers remain the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Restaurant!obiemvy6Dined on 5/13/2014This is the 3rd time me and my wife have gone to Gamba Ristorante. We love the food and service and try to make it here whenever we can for special occasions. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014The dishes we had were average at best. Nice place, but food presentation and taste was not impressive.
- DisappointednotcomingbackDined on 5/10/2014We liked it better when it was Cafe Venezia. We enjoyed the mature Italian waiters. The portions were larger. It was Not something that you could make at home. They were out of Tiramisu. Really? What mom was not going to have Tiramisu, so close to Mother's Day ! Benny Used to walk around from table to table asking people about the food. Instead the restaurant seems to be run by people under age 30, with no sense of tradition.Special Features:
- Not impressedCrowntownrnDined on 5/9/2014We went because wewanted to have a nice date night spot and heard good things about Gamba. The inside is different than any restaurant I have been at lately. The reastaurant didn't look busy but we waited for our food for almost an hour without any explaination from our server, which is rediculous. The food was not worth the wait. I expected way more. Frankly the food is much better at Coopers Hawk.
- disappointingrhs3Dined on 5/9/2014this use to be a great restaurant. on this day the food was below average and the service was very poor. the waiters were inattentive and did not even remember who ordered what and there were just 2 of us! the restaurant was not busy and thus this is not even a good excuse. the food was bland and lifeless. i could have stayed home and done a better job while saving a descent amount of money.Special Features:
- Well worth itsortoffoodieDined on 5/9/2014Cozy and comfortable ambiance. Great attentive service. I can honestly say that this was one of the best, most creative, appealing, appetizing and satisfying meal I have had in the area. Starting with crusty bread to housmade sausage (highly recommended) and chickpea fritter were delicious. One of the special of the day was a mushroom broth, so earthy, so rich, so taste that it left me wanting for more. For dinner arctic char was perfctly cooked. My wife had potato Gnocchi which were served in tomato based sauce. She was expecting a cream based sauce. Without any hesitation it was replaced. Needless to say she was quite happy. For dessert we had tiramisu, one of our favorite. If I had a more lighter and tastier version, I don't know where.Special Features:
- DissapointinggabnmanthaDined on 4/26/2014To cut to the chase: Arrived early to have a drink in the bar. Not very busy at all but 2 martini's took 10 min to receive. The bartender was nice but seemed overwhelmed w/ the 6 people at the bar & also taking care of the waiters station. Dinner was worse. The waiter was rather cold & wanted to rush us. We ordered the kale salads which were great. However, the risotto/tenderloin & asparagus dish a disaster. The risotto was runny & the tenderloin "chunks" were tough as ever. After 3 bites we were done. The owner did apologize and took both entree's off the bill. Obviously, we left disappointed. We've heard great things about Gamba's & were excited to go there.