Galvez Bar & Grill
2024 Seawall Boulevard
Galveston, TX 77550Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Galvez Bar & Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.discovergalvestontexas.com/galvez-bar-and-grill/
- Phone: 4095152145x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 6:30am - 11:00am, Sunday: 6:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Southwest
- Executive Chef: Patrick Havard
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Pianist on Tuesday-Saturday evenings and during Sunday Brunch from 11am-2pm.
- Special Events: Ghost Tour Dinners offered during the month of October on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday nights as part of overnight package and on Wednesday and Thursday to the public. Call 409.765.7721 for reservations.
A word from Galvez Bar & Grill
Galvez Bar & Grill is the go-to restaurant for local seafood as well as cocktails. Following a $900,000 renovation and the launch of a new menu, the new Galvez Bar & Grill now features fresh seafood from Galveston’s Pier 19, steak, Po Boys, award-winning Gumbo, salads and a variety of bar bites including filet mignon sliders and flatbread pizzas. Its Sunday Champagne Brunch is a top choice for Open Table users and was named as one of the top 100 brunch restaurants in the U.S. Special Theatre Menu available for The Grand 1894 Opera House and ETC patrons. Recommended seating time for shows is 6:30 p.m.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Galvez Bar & Grill - Best Restaurants in Galveston ›
Galvez Bar & Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (25)special occasion (23)scenic view (15)romantic (10)fit for foodies (9)good for groups (8)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (6)neighborhood gem (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Special Occasion FeastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Everyone will leave stuffed and satisfied. So many choices for all types of appetites and food preferences. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Renowned Sunday Brunch? Not so!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014My wife and I visited The Galvez for brunch this last Sunday, We had reservations and were promptly seated. Our table was very wobbly and the seat cushions were stained. The windows next to our table affording a view of the waterfront were very dirty, kids fingerprints, smudges, etc. The carpet in the dining area was also dated. Our initial impression wasn't very good. The buffet offered many choices of salads and finger foods, a little short on entrees. The boiled shrimp tasted a little old, the raw oysters were microscopic, and the portions of prime rib were ultra conservative to say the least. The omelets were wonderful, as were the waffles. The desert bar was excellent! All in all, you could get the same meal at any good breakfast shop!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good brunchJuanDined on 9/21/2014Very nice place, live music and good quality plenty of choices for Sunday brunch. One of our favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CoffeePleaseVIPDined on 8/24/2014I've been here many times. The seating area was nice and nicely updated. I think the selection of the buffet was reduced. I feel certain foods like eggs Benedict should not be a buffet item because the eggs harden and the english muffin gets tough. The prime rib was not very juicy and tender as I remembered. The waitstaff was attentive. Not sure if I would return with the rise in cost and decrease in selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpeccabletpolDined on 8/23/2014What a beautiful space, what delicious food, and what excellent service. Our waitress seemed genuinely happy to be doing what she was doing, and it pervaded the entire experience. This is a classy place. The warm corn bread with butter and jalapeno jelly that came soon after we were seated is a very nice touch. And that the kids menu was free--which I had read online ahead of time, but somehow forgotten--was a very nice plus. Next time we're in Galveston, we're coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OK, nothing speciallikesgoodfoodVIPDined on 8/22/2014Had a burger, waitress looked at me like I was from the moon when I asked how I'd like it cooked. Sure enough it came overcooked and was clearly low quality meat. They don't have a beer list and none of the staff seem to have even basic knowledge of beer. They have only one or two craft beers available, but finding out what these were was difficult due to the lack of a list and useless staff. The place has a nice atmosphere, could be so much better.
- Great Brunch BuffetDugaTuDined on 8/17/2014The Sunday Brunch Buffet has plenty of options to please everyone! I loved the seafood gumbo and prime rib, and the other tastes I indulged in were good. The eggs Benedict was lacking flavor but the perfectly cooked bacon made up for that. There was plenty to choose from on the dessert bar...I recommend the pecan pie, but I thought the carrot cake was dry. There are several dining rooms to choose from and we were in the back which is far away from the buffet but we relly enjoyed watching people playing in the pool. I'm sure in the winter this would be a boring view. A piano player plays in the lobby and if you sit in the front room you can enjoy the music and be closer to the main buffet. The wait staff was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place!dancingmegan1Dined on 8/3/2014We woke up on our anniversary with nothing to do, so after a little googling we ran across the Sunday brunch at Hotel Galvez. Not knowing anything about it, we showed up and much to our surprise there was a gigantic buffet and endless mimosas/champagne waiting for us. We say for about an hour and had the best service of our life! We were unaware that the mimosas and champagne were included in the price ($39.99), so we will take advantage of that next time! Amazing place, amazing food, amazing service. Perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than it used to be.happydinerDined on 7/27/2014The Galvez has had some problems with the quality of the Sunday brunch and they have solved some of them. The service is better in some areas. Wait staff is improved. No instructions on which line to join when you arrive. Valet parking is good, but 20 minute wait for car upon leaving is too long. The fool was mostly good. There were some interesting looking chicken balls on stick and they would have been good if they were warm. Coffee was not hot enough. Beef was hot and good, shrimp was cold and good, fruit was fresh and kept cold. I did not eat waffles or pastry. I think the high attendance at this brunch is due mostly to the guests staying at the hotel.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We enjoyed our time at the restaurant. We were disappointed that we were not seated at the windows looking over the water as requested in the reservation. They had that portion closed during this time. I do think since we were one of only two tables in the entire restaurant, they could have seated us there. We drove a long way to go to this place and were celebrating a very special 80th birthday for my mother-in-law. They were a very friendly staff. Our food was mediocre. We had the market fish, which was flounder, but it was fishy smelling. Not a good sign for fish that was supposed to be caught and served the same day and at 35.00 each, was not quite to par. I would highly recommend this restaurant for Sunday Brunch though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurfergirlVIPDined on 7/26/2014Food was good, but service and atmosphere was mediocre. Our server didn't know the specials of the day when we inquired, and we had to remind her about the drinks we ordered. She was pleasant enough, but... This restaurant in a hotel lobby has its challenges-people walking by in bathing suits, kids yelling, and lots of folks taking group photos. It was okay, but there are better places in town.
- Late BrunchMunnonDined on 7/20/2014This is the second time that I have eaten at the Galvez Hotel Brunch. First time was better in that we arrived about 45 minutes earlier. The earlier arrival allowed for a better selection of food to pick from with the trade being having to wait around other folks at this same time. When you arrive later there is less of a line and a lot less to pick from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Twice as nice??robinlc3VIPDined on 7/5/2014We dined her two nights in a row - thought after the first night, it was the server who was a little ditsy. At dinner the second night, we discovered its the kitchen. From the time we arrive, till our tortilla soup (which was magnificent) arrived, it took 45 minutes. Really? for soup? before we barely finished our soup, our steaks arrived - ugh.. The night before, we never got our soup, order was lost. Anyhow, it appears there is some trouble in the kitchen. 45 minutes for soup to arrive on a quiet Saturday evening with very few guests wont bring us back till things are worked out. Food is great, just takes way too long to receive.Special Features:
- Slowwwww serviceDine4agoodtimeDined on 7/4/2014We made a poor choice in dining tonight. Had 6:30 reservation. It took our waiter 10 minutes to greet us, and take our drink order. (Water, teas and soft drinks) it was 7:10 before those were delivered back to our table. A couple questions were asked about the menu and order was taken. Most everyone at the table ordered salads - varying types, and one person ordered the pasta. It was 7:40 before food was delivered. One salad was incorrect and had to be returned. The food was just okay, nothing spectacular. Definitely not a place I would recommend or return to. It was not just our table who received the slow service. Table next to us asked to close out their check early due to the slow.service. Manager made excuses for service.
- HJdineDined on 6/22/2014The overall experience was very good. We had overseas visitors and they were surprised to find a place with an ambiance that reflected some of the European flavor and décor. The only observation (most foreign visitors have this complaint about US restaurants!!) was that the temperature inside was simply too cold which makes the "after brunch" type of coffee and conversation difficult.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchTexasAggie98VIPDined on 6/15/2014The Sunday brunch is great. The desserts all seem to be bought somewhere else because they are not good. The bread pudding isn't bad, but it would be better with some extra sauce. Don't let that stop you. Everything else is so awesome, that you won't want or need dessert. If you do, I suggest one of the outstanding waffles with whipped cream and carmel sauce! The carving station with ham, lamb chops, and prime rib was excellent. I will say that the server needed more training. She kept saying excuse me every time she would refill water glasses, or bring anything over, even if we asked for it. It was too much. Overall the place is great. It is a little expensive, so it wouldn't be some place to visit everyday, but it is well worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome BrunchFatboyDined on 6/15/2014Our second time staying at the Hotel Galvez and it is consistent and excellent, the Sunday Brunch is the Best ever. If we didn't live so far away we would come every Sunday ( Calgary Alberta Canada ) The staff are the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed experiencethedinersDined on 6/14/2014We celebrated Father's Day early by eating at the Galvez bar & grill. The servers were very friendly and did their job well. My husband ordered the red snapper with the $5 addition of the crab sauce. There was plenty of crab but the sauce was very watery. I ordered the pawns and polenta with frazzled leeks. The polenta was very dry and the leeks were very frazzled. We also ordered a house salad each, which was a good start. The worst part of the experience were the flies. They swarmed everywhere! We mentioned them to the server who laughed and said they were bad and that some strips had been put up near the bar area to get rid of them.Special Features:
- Unsatisfying/blandYummyfoods73Dined on 6/14/2014The hotel is beautiful, but the lunch menu is over priced and the food was just ok. My table was not ready when we arrived, there were flies all around the area. The area is open so staff and people all over. Not romantic at all. Not worth it.Special Features:
- lovetoeatoutlovetoeatoutreviewDined on 6/8/2014This is a great place for a buffet however, I believe about $10.00 pp over priced. Because of the price, we would only be going for a special occasion and then maybe even passing it up because of the price. Lot's of good food like other buffets! The dessert area could use a little revamping. The cakes have huge pieces - seems like they could be cut about 1/4th of the size so you could get a few of each to test. You feel uncomfortable taking a huge piece and eating just a little because you do want to sample everything. There was lots of great seating - I don't think they have a bad room to sit in. Lot's of scenic views too. The staff was extremely nice and made you feel very welcome. You weren't rushed to get in and get out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 190 reviews are from the Galvez Bar & Grill reviews archive.
- Always a great brunch!SarahDined on 6/1/2014We live in Houston, but we love the Galvez for a special occasion brunch. The food is always great, and service is usually fantastic. If you have a party of four, I recommend making the reservation for at least 5 - we had 4 people and were crammed into a tiny table that should have only sat 2. By the time we all had coffee and mimosas, there was very little room for our plates! That was the only complaint I had for our brunch this week.Special Features:
- stellar brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/25/2014this defines an excellent brunch, a must try event.Special Features:
- Over The TopOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/18/2014Stayed at The Galvez for a wonderful weekend and made reservations for the Sunday Brunch and it exceeded by expectations, will make the 1.5 hour drive back just for the brunch.Special Features:
- Love this brunchRonnaskitDined on 4/27/2014This has to be the best brunch in Galveston or clear lake. We just love to spend a Sunday with them! EnjoySpecial Features:
- Birthday brunch for mompaperfoodieDined on 4/27/2014Amazing buffet for my mom's birthday brunch. Food was delicious and included a little of everything. Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- unhappy experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014It was my 2yr anniversary. I was so unhappy with the way we were treated. I made reservations with special instruction about the event my husband and I were celebrating at least a month before if not more. We drove from houston for a brunch a Galveston native had recommended. When we got there we were put at the back of the restaurant in the worst of tables and our waiter kept forgetting about us. Not a good way to start my anniversary weekend. I was embarrassed to have brought my husband here.
- Wonderful Sunday MorningMrsJayDined on 3/30/2014This is an outstanding Sunday Brunch. A large variety of food, something to please everyone, especially seafood lovers. The cold boiled shrimp, raw oysters, crab legs, and salmon were in good supply. Can't wait to go back. Oh! Did I mention the Mimosas?Special Features:
- Upstanding!ThomasBordelonDined on 3/16/2014We attended the Sunday brunch, very nice. Complimentary valet parking and the ambiance was elegant. My fiancé and I were very pleased and for an all you can eat buffet of food and for $100 it was well worth it. The 5 star chef did an amazing job. The Galvez will be seeing us again shortly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BrunchBestBrunch1Dined on 3/16/2014I took my brother and his wife for their 28th Wedding anniversary. I could not have picked a better place. Parking was complimentary and there was no waiting. The food was outstanding. Everything you could think of. The champagne was flowing freely. I would recommend their brunch to anyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great brunchpmissDined on 2/16/2014Everything was fresh and good, and there was a great choice offered. Great fresh oysters and crab! Very happy with it.Special Features:
- Suprisingly badmoocheeDined on 2/1/2014Only one other couple in the restaurant, bad sign! Steaks way overcooked, veges mushy and no flavor. Sauce for steak suppose to be shrimp, tasted like Campbell's soup. No bread.. cold corn muffins. Calamari was tough and cold. Very bright, felt like eating at Luby's. Very disappointing for this beautiful Hotel.
- Beautiful Location, Average FoodKatyBVIPDined on 1/26/2014The location is beautiful for a Sunday brunch. We were disappointed with the food. Crab Claws were soggy, the green beans tasted like they had been microwaved. Desserts were definitely not made on the premises. I am Not sure it is worth the cost to eat brunch here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice eveningssbn626bDined on 1/25/2014Wonderful meal, staff was great, a wedding was down the hall and had fun mixing with the attendees. Although I have been to Galveston many times, this was my first (but not last) visit to the restaurant.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchRonCDined on 1/5/2014We used Open Table to make reservations for Sunday Brunch. It was a bit pricey but WELL WORTH IT ! Usual stations - Omlette, waffles, desserts - plus a pasta station.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrankFrankyDined on 12/27/2013Hotel restaurants are never my first choice but we chose this for a meal after the drive from Austin. Food and service were very good but the restaurant was only one quarter occupied. Good and lively bar helped improve the mood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Much Money-Poor Quality FoodeatoutDined on 12/24/2013Since it was Christmas Eve, there were only 2 other couples in the restaurant at 6 PM. The food was pretty awful. The quality of the fish and chips were notably the worst I have ever eaten. Actually the chips were not too bad, but you would be hard pressed to find "any" fish in what they considered the fish part. The batter was unbelievably thick and soggy! The fish had no taste and of poor texture (that is, what fish you could find). The other entree was pork chops, scalloped potatoes and grilled vegetables. The pork chops were tough, but had good flavor. The grilled vegetables were so over done, you could not tell one vegetable from the other. The scalloped potatoes had no distinguishable flavor either. Wish we ate elsewhere!
- Not worth top dollarTQNDKDined on 12/22/2013Was very excited to try Galvez' Sunday brunch, as it was rated one of the best in Texas! Man was I disappointed! Absolutely not worth the top dollar they charge for a brunch like that! The bread wasn't either tasty nor did it appear fresh in any way! The selection of fresh fruit was disappointing in taste! Many of the hot and the cold entrees was just not the quality one would expect for a place that was rated highly! I would not recommend it - nor will I be back at either the Sunday brunch or the Galvez overall as the whole hotel was a complete let down!
- Not worthy of the hypeBethDined on 12/15/2013Lovely setting and the service was superb, but the food was hit and miss. Seafood was all great and plentiful, but not much else was as outstanding. The desserts were really a disappointment. They were not even tempting to look at. I expected better from the reviews I had read. Quantity is not nearly as enticing as quality.
- Brunchalicious!JaxieDined on 12/8/2013We've made an annual pilgrimage to brunch at the Galvez over Dickins on the Strand weekend for the past three years. Never disappointed. Magical culinary adventure the marries the past and the present under one roof. Champagne and mimosas generously served. Never an empty glass! Friendly staff and a scenic ocean view in the veranda make this a perfect experience regardless of the occasion. Truly the tradition continues!Special Features:
- Extravagant Sunday Brunch.BeejDined on 12/8/2013Good hungry, stay long, enjoy the vast variety of most every type of food. Most definitely something for everyone. If your in Galveston, go.Special Features: