Gallow Green & The Heath
542 W. 27th
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Gallow Green & The Heath
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theheathnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 564-1662
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday: Opens at 6:00pm
Offering Dinner, and Late Night Dining
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, English
- Executive Chef: R.L. King
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Nightly live Jazz ensemble
Friday and Saturday late night live band
- Special Events: For inquiries for special events, please email email@example.com.
A word from Gallow Green & The Heath
Gallow Green & The Heath serves a classically inspired modern take on American and English cuisine in an elegant railway station. Gallow Green & The Heath features live Jazz ensemble seven nights a week for dinner and the MCKITTRICK HOTEL'S house band, HEATHENS on weekend late nights.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Gallow Green & The Heath - Best Restaurants in Chelsea ›
Gallow Green & The Heath reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelEnergetic
special occasion (47)romantic (44)hot spot (37)good for groups (28)vibrant bar scene (22)fit for foodies (21)late-night find (20)neighborhood gem (18)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Perfect addition to a McKittrick nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/26/2014Outstanding food, gorgeous music, beautiful and symbolic atmosphere, and wonderful company from the Lindsay's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfully captivating! 5 stars.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2014Decor carefully selected to harmonize with the Sleep No More experience - like walking into the era itself. Staff were attentive & courteous, with equally captivating personalities & appearances. The woman in white was a delightful touch. Thank you as always for a phenomenal experience. I hope to return soon & spread the word among my friends & colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique experience akthough service.....scotty36Dined on 11/13/2014From the elevator to our table my guests were thrilled. Wine & food fantastic as was the atmosphere.. Unfortunately our table service was very poor with the waitress being rather unfriendly and twice failed to bring what we asked for......a shame really as it took the shine off what could have been a supreme experience.Special Features:
- joke1953Dined on 11/7/2014the ambiance was great. The waiter was kind and humorrous until the moment he thought, we won't spent more money. He threw the bill on the table with the remark : I assume you do not want to continue my services use. This before we asked for the bill. Perhaps we wanted coffee with brandy . Not any more. What n letdownSpecial Features:
- Good place for dinner with jazzkannyDined on 11/6/2014They have jazz live music from 6:30pm - 11pm everyday. Very good place to enjoy dinner with jazz music in mysterious and fashionable atmosphere. Good: Food was tasty. Waitresses are beautiful and stylish. You can enjoy music. Bad: The side dish of steak were only potatoes and pumpkins. I think it's better balance if it comes with more vegetables like carrots or broccoli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServicePollyAnnaMayDined on 11/5/2014We ate at The Heath prior to 'checking in' to The McKittrick Hotel for Sleep No More. The Heath is reminiscent of an English country pub - lots of dark wood panelling and wooden ceiling beams. We were expecting pretty standard pre-theatre food but our meals were great. The menu reads a lot like that of an English pub - good comforting fare - but it is prepared with more flare and innovation. One of the highlights of our experience was the exceptionally band and singer and the delightful hostesses who swooned around the tables stopping to chat with the guests. So we absolutely recommend The Heath either as a stand alone dinner or as a pre-theatre meal. Lots of fun and yummy food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food and drinks, nice ambience.ger007Dined on 10/18/2014I got a glass of Cabernet ($17). It came with the wrong glass and it tasted as a $3/bottle wine. As starter a Buffala burrata ($17 if I am not wrong). For the price I thought would have been a real whole burrata, it was instead that much that you could eat it in a bite. I thought was a joke. And for that little that I could taste, the quality was not good at all. As main dish, a fisherman pie ($32), made with scallops, shrimps and salmon. It had a tiny piece of salmon, 1! shrimp, and all the rest was scallops. If I will go back again, it will be just for a beer (in bottle). All this makes me think that the guys are a bit stingy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagicaleatplantsDined on 10/17/2014You could say that this is a 'themed' restaurant, but that would be doing The Heath a grave injustice. However, everything within is a cohesive experience: decor, menu, ambiance, LIVE JAZZ ENSEMBLE, and actors who make you feel welcome to a night out from the past -and not Medieval Times. On the spendy side, but portions are very generous. Servers won't judge you if you just want to come in alone and order a glass of wine and a few delicious sides, but they are also capable of serving large groups a fully plated A-level experience. Though connected to the off-broadway hit "Sleep No More," you don't have to have seen the show to enjoy your dining experience: The Heath is a stand-alone standout. They also are vegan and allergy friendly.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere!Mrandmrsg16Dined on 10/11/2014The Heath was such a great place to celebrate a special occasion or go on a date. The ambiance was great, it had low lighting, music was just the right volume, service was attentive but not overbearing, cocktails were different and innovative, food was delicious, and the whole experience was like stepping back in time. We had the beef and ale pie which was amazing! Nutella icebox tart for dessert yum! I'd recommend The Heath to anyone who wants a cool and unique night out. Oh and check out Gallow Green for a drink afterwards. The rooftop bar has a magical setting.Special Features:
- Go back in time!thegangof4VIPDined on 10/8/2014The ambience of The Health is fun! There are costumed characters walking around the dining room who engage with the diners to set the roaring twenties theme. The live music was an unexpected treat! The food was good; especially the pork chops and sticky toffee pudding dessert!Special Features:
- It's an experienceHungrywumpusDined on 10/3/2014Music, card tricks, lucky prize drawings, lots going on here to liven up your dinner. It's a destination all it's own, unique for NYC and a great choice for an entertaining evening. Desserts were really good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmosphereSteakhotdogDined on 9/25/2014My date and I felt like we were walking onto a 1930's James Bond movie set at an underground bar. The duck tartine was smokey and had good texture. The dark n stormy's were a little too sugary for my taste. We then had the steak with acorn squash and potatoes. Both excellent. I order my steak medium rare and it came out rare but I still did not complain because it was so fresh. The band was great and played well in the background. It had the noise level of a coffee shop but had potential to get everyone dancing. I would recommend taking someone here you care about-not a first date. The waitress was a little unsavory but everyone has a crumby day once in a while so we didn't hold it against her or the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingTraumamdVIPDined on 9/25/2014cool bar upstairs but the food was disappointing, the prices were high for the meager portions.
- Birthday SurpriseJannVIPDined on 9/25/2014We were celebrating a friend's birthday. I chose this restaurant because the reviews were very good. We were transported via elevator to the 6th floor into a 30's supper club with jazz band & smoky lighting. The staff, most are actors in the "Sleep No More" play being performed on the premises. After we ordered, the "owner" Kathryn approached us and entered us into a raffle. Women were dressed in period gowns and men in white tux jackets. The food; Seafood pie, Benne Cod(fish & chips) & desserts, one of which was won in the raffle-Banoffee pie & apple bread pudding were excellent. The Wagyu flatiron steak was a bit chewy. Altogether, we had a memorable evening and can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fortune favours the bold...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014An evening at The Heath effectively suspends your life outside its doors. Ambience and food balanced comfortably with service that maintains the flow through period jazz, song and setting. The Mandalay bar session added cinematic showtime to polish off a delightful visit. Who knows, maybe on your visit there will be cabaret in the restaurant and burlesque in the bar. The Heath never fails to serve up a delightful surprise.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014This place was an amazing experience! Highly recommend for a fun night out!Special Features:
- AmazingVioletBlueDined on 8/27/2014I've never had an experience like this, ever. The Heath has incredible food, exquisite cocktails, outstanding atmosphere, terrific jazz (which doesn't dominate the atmosphere), and all at the same time it's like you're in some incredible 1940s film -- where you're warmly welcomed into a delightful storyline. There's nothing in the world like this place. Hail the wolves <3Special Features:
- WOW!beebyanDined on 8/23/2014Quite the dining experience...to say the least! ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Heath rocks!DininginNYCDined on 8/15/2014Such a wonderful atmosphere, great food, and very unique experiences! Keep up the good work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- explorenycDined on 8/14/2014Very attractive, unique atmosphere, romantic, vibrant, smart. Too many reserved tables at the Gallow Green Bar so that there was no place to sit for customers waiting for dinner reservations. the Wait staff was excellent, accommodating, and interesting. Food is terrific. Overall price about $120/person for dinner all in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Date NightPutsukDined on 8/14/2014Go here for a perfect date night. The atmosphere was incredible and would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal Nightfrostyw98Dined on 8/6/2014I came here on a recommendation from a friend who routinely enjoys the Sleep No More production next door. I'm not much for the interactive theatre, but she recommended that I try out the Heath and the Gallow Green next door. While I was down in New York City for a business trip, I made it a point to stop in. Being only a party of one, it was difficult for me to get a table here, but the bar ably handled my drink and dining needs excellently. I recommend any drink off the menu, and I can also vouch for the lamb entree and bread pudding dessert. I will definitely be bringing my date here the next time I return to New York City, and maybe we'll even dress to the theme.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InterestinghickDined on 8/2/2014The best place to eat before "Sleep No More" Priority check-in for the show Enjoyed my special phone call.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 90 reviews are from the Gallow Green & The Heath reviews archive.
- Sophisticated, Vintage FeelDevondinesoutDined on 7/26/2014This was my SO's first time in NYC and I wanted to take him somewhere unique, and that's certainly what we got! The decor and ambience of the restaurant is quintessential 1920's jazz club (with live band). Actors from "Sleep No More" circled the room in their white-tuxedos and exquisite gowns (accessorized with martini glasses) looking for "old friends." When we took our seats we were invited to participate in a lottery drawing while we looked at our menu's. We started with a cheese plate accented with dried apple slices and honey. My gin and tonic was on point!I would highly recommend one of their pies (I chose beef & ale), it was warm with a flaky crust and hearty pieces of beef. Spectacular and beyond memorable. The Heath is a MUST!Special Features:
- Amazing Experience all around!KittyKatVIPDined on 7/26/2014Amazing night w visiting guests! Mysterious, smokey Jazz Bar ambience, superb service, talented Singer/Band, 1930s Glamour, all perfection! We felt immersed in a mysterious dream! I wouldn't expect less from The Sleep No More/McKittrick Hotel. Thanks 4 a night of mystery, suspense, delicious food, & 1930s glamour! Dishes: the beef pie was succulent, scallops tasty & delicate, light 4 dieters, the pork chop w peaches, tasted of summer, bread was served w a honey-pepper butter! Bill for the food & experience was reasonable, considering the quality food, jazz band & chanteuse, and friendly service. Of note, I recommend to request that they engage you in the dream/play. If u get lucky & get a call or envelope, answer it, stay in character :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere but food lackingMikeDined on 7/25/2014Ambience is outstanding. Owners work the restaurant engaging clients and are dressed in formal attire. THey make the evening. I am sad to report, however, that the food is mediocre at best and extremely pricey.Special Features:
- ModerateMad0911Dined on 7/18/2014Although the food is not amazing, the ambiance is energetic I got the opportunity to sit in the private dinning car with my date and the experience was calming, romantic and extremely intimate.Special Features:
- A wonderful surprise!DavidVIPDined on 7/17/2014I didn't expect much. After all, it was just a quick bite before seeing Sleep No More yet again. But the food was marvelous! Many of the vegetables are grown on the roof and the food was excellent. It would have been a fine meal even without the incredible ambience. ENJOY!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique placejefflissVIPDined on 7/4/2014We just went for dinner but apparently this restaurant is linked to the McKittrick Hotel which is the site of an immersive theater experience which overflows a bit into the restaurant. Still quite enjoyable. Live jazz was playing while we were there. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceBeinsteinVIPDined on 6/28/2014First Time at The Heath The atmosphere was amazing The food was excellent and drinks strong Service was impeccable and the the theatrical experience was perfect Plan to come back againSpecial Features:
- So good, almostOmniverDined on 6/27/2014Overall a fantastic night out at the Heath, great service, phenomenal music. The *only* thing that killed it for us was both my wife and I ordered the lamb breast which while having a wonderful flavor, was essentially the tiniest portion of meat surrounded by a pile of fat. Nearly inedible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful AnniversaryMariZachDined on 6/26/2014Got to the hotel early to check out the rooftop bar which was beautiful but way too crowded. Retreated downstairs to the bar at the Heath. Very nice vibe and great drinks. We were seated at the exact time of our reservation. The jazz band was fabulous and not too loud, allowing for easy conversation. The wait staff was very responsive. Two staff members approached the table and asked us to put our names on a playing card for a dessert raffle. We had fun talking with them. Dinner was absolutely fabulous. Started by splitting a salad which was great. Then had the Sea Scallops and Flatiron steak. Both were absolutely delicious. Dessert was the sticky toffee cake accompanied by cappuccino...both winners. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Gatsby Meets The Addams FamilyOxy55Dined on 6/26/2014Dinner AS theater. Strong on ambience--a 20's (or maybe 30's, if I had to nail the period) speakeasy supperclub, surprisingly good food, an odd kind of New American mixed with Old Brit. Sounds clunky, but on the plate it works. Nice oysters first, then the fish pie (like a Shepherd's pie reimagined with scallops and other seafood)-- delicious. The owners, a glamorous and theatrical young couple in gown and dinner jacket--she's a knockout, and a talented flirt--cruise and chat up the patrons. Very good straight ahead jazz from the 20's and 30's--the other night just a great solo guitarist at first, then a quartet. Perfectly atmospheric--you hear everything but it's not obtrusive. I would go back again and again.Special Features:
- De-lish!ashkay85Dined on 6/21/2014Love this place and I keep coming back for more!! Get the Burrata and the Tagliatelle Wild Mushroom!Special Features:
- DindinVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great entertainment and ambience. The actors, musicians, design make it a totally fun night. The service from waitstaff, however, was incredibly slow. It was difficult to ask for anything. They also up-charged us from the prices listed on the menu. And we couldn't tell them because once the cheque was dropped it was impossible to grab a waiter again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- paulaDined on 6/20/2014Fantastic place to go for fun, music and food. Went for my birthday and had a great and memorable night. And the waiters are hot! Highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrating my daughter's 18th bdayXyloDined on 6/14/2014An epic experience. The staff all in character of a 1930s night club. So much fun. Already plan on going back for my youngest daughter's 18th birthday. Edward, John and other staff were very engaging. Loved the band and the whole vibe of the place.Special Features:
- Jazz and great foodDeeAnneDined on 6/7/2014The Heath is a 1930s-esque restaurant with amazing food and an atmosphere that is worth a trip to 10th ave. The service was exceptional. The owners (actually actors who are part of the atmosphere) give you personal attention, and if you are lucky there is even more to the evening. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique experience2foodiesDined on 6/6/2014We had dinner here prior to "Sleep No More." The show and the restaurant are intertwined, and the immersive theater of "SNM" began in the restaurant! The food was truly imaginative & excellent -- better than we expected -- but I think The Heath is best experienced as a prelude to "SNM."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very interesting dining experiencejsalVIPDined on 5/30/2014Went here for dinner. The terrine platter was good. The cod entree was a bit bland but the fries that came with it too salty. The nutella icebox tart was delicious but the serving too big. I normally do not have complaints about large portion sizes but it was too rich. Service was excellent. The place was a lot of fun but is not good for conversation as there is a band.I would recommend this to a friend.