402 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gallonerony.com/
- Phone: (212) 265-6660
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Roberto Lopez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Gallo Nero
Gallo Nero is the new hidden gem of Hell's Kitchen. Located on 44th Street, between 9th & 10th Avenues, Gallo Nero has the great promise of becoming a new breed of tratoria with an exceptional wine selection. It's rustic feel is in tune with the wine and the friendly service only makes the place a very lovely spot, perfect for romantic dinners all the way to friendly reunions. The menu consists of a variety of items that are made to compliment every kind of taste, starting with cold cuts, Crostini, Bruschetta and cheese selections, all the way to Lamb Shank, Gnocchi and Panini. To top it all off the wines are picked from the special small vineyards in Italy, bringing a unique flavor to the area that will turn anyone into a wine lover.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gallo Nero reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)notable wine list (50)fit for foodies (40)romantic (31)great for lunch (13)great for outdoor dining (11)special occasion (11)good for groups (9)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Absolutely Delicious!!!MegiDined on 11/23/2014We were looking for an early dinner (post theater) Italian meal... Something more trendy and less uptight than our typical "restaurant row" dinner. This was perfect. From the appeziters through dessert, the food was amazing! The sausage and broccoli app was delicious! We really enjoyed our bottle of wine from the great wine selection. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Find!tommyboy363Dined on 11/22/2014Had tickets to a show. Staff did a great job getting us seated, took our order quickly and served us quickly. Best Eggplant Parm ever! Great waiter. Loud and crowded....but it is NYC on a Saturday night! What do you expect?!!? Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant close to Theater Districtmutmut3VIPDined on 11/19/2014This was our second visit and again we enjoyed everything about our meal--the food was excellent, good atmosphere, great service, and there is a good--and reasonable--wine list, with a lot of by-the-glass choices if you don't want a whole bottle. We both had specials, I particularly liked my pumpkin ravioli in a sage truffle sauce. My husband thought his was also excellent. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great find...kids?jrs23Dined on 11/16/2014Excellent food and service. The place is a little gem with a great ambience. That said, they need a kids menu or half portions! While they treated my daughter like a princess, we were surprised they didn't serve half portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Too NoisyLifetimeNewYorkerVIPDined on 11/14/2014It's a shame that I can't recommend Gallo Nero, or go back there. It's tiny, and so noisy that you cannot carry on a conversation without almost yelling -- the deafening noise level is made worse by the continual playing of loud, unnecessary background music -- and it's so dark at the tables that you literally can't read the menu (we had to keep using the flashlight app on our cell phones). It's silly, because these flaws are easily fixed, but I guess they just don't care. Food was excellent and service was good, but it's not worth the unpleasant noise and darkness.
- Good Eats in the Theater DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/10/2014Gallo Nero was a very well-run restaurant with a laid-back ambiance and excellent food.Special Features:
- After the theaterPAmarineDined on 11/8/2014Great Manhattan spot for high quality, interesting dinner following a play. Service was exceptional. Tables were a bit close together. Appetizers were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bhtheaterratDined on 11/1/2014Very good pre-show dinner. The wait staff was very attentive and engaging. We followed their lead on a few choices and were not disappointed. We'll be going back the next time we're in town to see a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect before theaterdawnDined on 10/25/2014Our party of 4 enjoyed 3 courses of delicious food and wine. Hanger steak was a super star. Chocolate coconut cake was moist and scrumptious. Bruschettas were just right while gabbing and drinking. Pastas were wonderfully flavorful. Weather was lovely and the front was open.Special Features:
- food was great.. except...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/24/2014... except the dessert. We ordered the cheesecake (done with a "formaggio bianco" [sic -- "white cheese"] which was more like fluffy whipped cream than a heavy spackling paste. I like my cheesecake more like Junior's (firm) than something that could be served with an ice cream scoop. Service was super attentive!Special Features:
- felt we were in ItalyyorkieVIPDined on 10/24/2014Lovely Italian/European feel to the space. Brick walls added to the charm. Great Gnocchi and very good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightful eveningDowntownkidDined on 10/22/2014two jaded New Yorkers had a wonderful pre theater dinner. I almost hate to recommend it. Don't want it over run. Small restaurant, impeccable service, perfect menu that did not disappoint. What more could you ask?Special Features:
- Food great, service a bit offwoops81Dined on 10/12/2014We've been going to this little out of the main area of midtown bistro for several years. Food as always is excellent. Service is OK this time. Our attendant was a bit short on attention span. Normally we do not need a lot of patience but we had out of towners who are not used to the rush of NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!mommysrcDined on 10/11/2014It was our third time this restaurant. We always try to get there while in NYC. Food is fantastic and the atmosphere is so comfortable and welcoming. There was an item taken off the menu that we enjoy. They made it for us. The black Sambuca at the end was a nice touch . Will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Charming ItalianGothamfanDined on 10/11/2014This was the second time my husband and I have eaten at Gallo Nero. This is a wonderful little Italian restaurant close to all the theaters. It's fairly tiny, so you'll need reservations! Wine bottles line the shelves and the decor is wooden rustic. The wine list is extensive and Italian; the food takes a simple but exquisite approach. Green beans and beets arrive perfectly crisp in a salad; the salmon is expertly cooked with a deliciously seared crust, served on a bed of spinach, garlic and red cabbage; the gnocchi was just the right texture, offered in a flavorful tomato sauce. The tiramisu is not too shabby, either!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodKateDined on 10/11/2014We really loved the food. The octopus salad was delicious. After all the reviews about wonderful service, I was disappointed in our waiter. While not rude, he was not very friendly. After being told we could sit wherever we wanted, we were then asked to move because they were busy. There was only one other occupied table. Granted it was filling up when we left, but the table we first sat at, was still empty. I would definitely go back for the food, but make sure I had a different waiter.Special Features:
- consistently deliverstimeflies1VIPDined on 10/7/2014While not always outstanding, this restaurant comes close. My favorite Italian place in the theater district. Serbice is hood without being intrusive. Good wine selections. Although pricey, enjoy the rich buratta to startSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and comfortableFoodstruckVIPDined on 10/6/2014I ordered the Clams Oreganata as an appetizer and the Lasagna as my main course. The clams were delicious though I did find charging $18.00 for the six medium sized clams I received was a little much. The Lasagna at $16.00 was superb and the bechamel sauce creamy and light. Definitely a superior italian restaurant that was a delight to discover. I shall look forward to return.Special Features:
- GOOD BUT NOT GREATlarryDined on 10/4/2014WELL LOCATED FOR A PRE-THEATRE DINNER. SMALL AND CROWDED-- NOT MUCH SPACE BETWEEN TABLES. THE OCTOPUS APPETIZER WAS GREAT. LIMITED MENU-- PASTA WAS GOOD. COUPLE AT NEXT TABLE HAD TO SEND MEAL BACK-- PORK WAS ALMOST RAW. SERVER WAS ACCOMMODATING, EFFICIENT AND GOT US OUT IN TIME FOR THE SHOW.
- Unexpected TreasureaudimimsDined on 10/3/2014Found this little gem on word of friend living in Hells Kitchen! I love it! The wines they have available are superb! The food is wonderful, all with a little Gallo Nero twist. The staff is amazing, very attentive in a very busy restaurant- know the menu and the wines and make dining a pleasure! One of my favorite places to go when I am in the city, and I travel from Florida to get to them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014The weather is still nice, so the walls (doors) are open and even though you are inside, with the doors open it's charming. We were there at 2pm and the restaurant was quite empty and quiet. The food is quite good and the service was extremely pleasant.Special Features:
- Delicious and what a wine list!BeadiDined on 9/28/2014Every time I go here, I'm not disappointed, nor are my guests. They had a bolognese as a special that was literally the best one I have ever had. Everything was chopped perfectly, the nutmeg was not overwhelming and the added arugula made it extra special. Loved it! And of course, the wine list is just superb. My favorite so far......the white amazon--Black to White.Special Features:
- True Italyjpuff4Dined on 9/14/2014This place came highly recommended to me and it didn't disappoint. I went for a coworkers birthday and had a great time! I spent 4 months in Italy and have not been to a restaurant in the US with true Italian service-Genuinely friendly and energetic service! Just know, that true to Italian service, they will not give you your check unless you ask for it. I had the Gnocchi and it was fantastic! homemade and melted in my mouth. Bread and wine was also great. The ambiance was fantastic- they had all the windows/doors open so it felt like we were outside. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to someone else and would return myself.Special Features:
- Excellent dining spotBreakingBreadDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed our time at Gallo Nero. The staff was exceptionally friendly. The only thing was the food came a bit late on to the table. Our party of five including a toddler, had a wonderful time. The wine list is exceptional too. When we first walked in it seemed like it was probably too small a place but when you come in and experience the place, the interiors make you forget how close to Times Square you really are. We loved everything we ordered. My husband finished off the lamb shank in 15 minutes despite the wait and my salmon was excellent. Can't say much for the split pea soup but everything else was perfect.Special Features:
- consistent good foodmal5Dined on 9/6/2014This is the second time that I was here for lunch. and the food is always good. The red snapper was delicious. The squid ink pasta dish is a favorite. The dessert I had was described as a chocolate soufflé but was more like chocolate lava cake. It was very good. I will definitely come here again.Special Features:
- A great surprise.neighborVIPDined on 9/2/2014Booked early dinner at this restaurant because it was close to the theater we were attending. Pleasantly surprised by the exceptional and efficient service at this restaurant. The food was also surprisingly well prepared. From the outside you would have thought this was just another small NYC restaurant. Excellent wine list. Don't pass it by!Special Features:
- NJGrandmaVIPDined on 8/21/2014Enjoyed a delightful pre-theatre dinner. Very tasty food and an exceptionally friendly waiter. Would definitely return to this cozy spot.Special Features:
- ReservationCatad08Dined on 8/17/2014No complaints with the restaurant, as we didn't get to eat there. Open table allowed us to make a reservation for a time when the restaurant was not open. They were just closing as we got there. Open Table may need to improve the accuracy of their information.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Romantic!fantasticfoodieVIPDined on 8/15/2014I made us a reservation for 6:30 with the intention of going to an 8pm Broadway show. We were seated immediately and the doors were all open because it was a beautiful evening. We settled for a delicious and reasonably priced bottle of wine and were left alone to have a lovely evening together. We ordered the calamari to start (marginal) and I had a chicken dish with mashed potatoes and spinach that was fine. My boyfriend had the lobster ravioli special which, while tasty, was pretty small for the price. Would go back again for the ambiance.Special Features:
- BalletomaneDined on 8/14/2014We returned to Gallo Nero because of the proximity to the theatre and music venues. Althought the food is very good, the noise level is much more than "energetic". Possibly something could be done to mitigate the noise.Special Features:
- Service matters, Gallo Nero gets itLateNightCommuterDined on 8/13/2014Greeted quickly, offered a beverage and was introduced to Matt our server. He was available but not intrusive and his house suggestions were spot on representing what he claimed were specialties of the chef. I ordered the blue snapper over sun dried tomato and broccoli, served hot cooked perfect. I will return to sample other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent neighborhood ItalianHappyDiner1VIPDined on 8/7/2014We had a wonderful pre-theater meal - all food was well-prepared and very good, the server was knowledgeable about the menu items, the kitchen took care of special requests for food preparation without a hitch and we were made to feel welcome as if we were regular attendees instead of first time patrons...a very pretty room with the entire front open to the street made the space seem much larger. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FerraristiDined on 8/5/2014A liitle too noisy; we could have done without the blaring music. Vast menu with great variety. Attentive service.Special Features:
- Terrific Italian foodColofoodieVIPDined on 8/3/2014Authentic Italian cooking, wonderful ambience and service. I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!WineisgoodVIPDined on 7/31/2014Good food and fun atmosphere. Try the restaurant's own wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 721 reviews are from the Gallo Nero reviews archive.
- Solid pre-show spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014Gallo Nero is a 5-minute walk from Times Square and has a nice ambiance. The wine list is extensive and the pasta dishes are good. Service is excellent. If you're looking for a nice place to chat and nosh before a Broadway show without breaking the bank, this is it.Special Features:
- PerfectSully38VIPDined on 7/25/2014Great service, fabulous foods, the apps are amazing, a nice wine list and a server who was knowledgeable about them, doors open, cool breeze
- nice rustic placeBigdaddyDined on 7/23/2014Nice atmosphere-very tasty calamari, octopus salad, linguini. Service a little slow when busy, but efficient and friendly otherwise.Special Features:
- Always AwesomeksgoalieDined on 7/13/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Manhattan. Awesome food, service and experience! I am always treated like family. One of the best finds for gourmet food & service at a reasonable price. Great wine selection.Special Features:
- consistently awesomedineoutdameDined on 7/11/2014The quality of the food and service and really good everytime. The price/value is there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.