402 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gallonerony.com/
- Phone: 2122656660
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Roberto Lopez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Gallo Nero
Gallo Nero is the new hidden gem of Hell's Kitchen. Located on 44th Street, between 9th & 10th Avenues, Gallo Nero has the great promise of becoming a new breed of tratoria with an exceptional wine selection. It's rustic feel is in tune with the wine and the friendly service only makes the place a very lovely spot, perfect for romantic dinners all the way to friendly reunions. The menu consists of a variety of items that are made to compliment every kind of taste, starting with cold cuts, Crostini, Bruschetta and cheese selections, all the way to Lamb Shank, Gnocchi and Panini. To top it all off the wines are picked from the special small vineyards in Italy, bringing a unique flavor to the area that will turn anyone into a wine lover.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gallo Nero reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (66)notable wine list (47)fit for foodies (38)romantic (31)great for outdoor dining (14)great for lunch (14)special occasion (12)late-night find (8)good for groups (8)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (3)Show More
- Food great, service a bit offwoops81Dined on 10/12/2014We've been going to this little out of the main area of midtown bistro for several years. Food as always is excellent. Service is OK this time. Our attendant was a bit short on attention span. Normally we do not need a lot of patience but we had out of towners who are not used to the rush of NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!mommysrcDined on 10/11/2014It was our third time this restaurant. We always try to get there while in NYC. Food is fantastic and the atmosphere is so comfortable and welcoming. There was an item taken off the menu that we enjoy. They made it for us. The black Sambuca at the end was a nice touch . Will definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Charming ItalianGothamfanDined on 10/11/2014This was the second time my husband and I have eaten at Gallo Nero. This is a wonderful little Italian restaurant close to all the theaters. It's fairly tiny, so you'll need reservations! Wine bottles line the shelves and the decor is wooden rustic. The wine list is extensive and Italian; the food takes a simple but exquisite approach. Green beans and beets arrive perfectly crisp in a salad; the salmon is expertly cooked with a deliciously seared crust, served on a bed of spinach, garlic and red cabbage; the gnocchi was just the right texture, offered in a flavorful tomato sauce. The tiramisu is not too shabby, either!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodKateDined on 10/11/2014We really loved the food. The octopus salad was delicious. After all the reviews about wonderful service, I was disappointed in our waiter. While not rude, he was not very friendly. After being told we could sit wherever we wanted, we were then asked to move because they were busy. There was only one other occupied table. Granted it was filling up when we left, but the table we first sat at, was still empty. I would definitely go back for the food, but make sure I had a different waiter.Special Features:
- consistently deliverstimeflies1VIPDined on 10/7/2014While not always outstanding, this restaurant comes close. My favorite Italian place in the theater district. Serbice is hood without being intrusive. Good wine selections. Although pricey, enjoy the rich buratta to startSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and comfortableFoodstruckVIPDined on 10/6/2014I ordered the Clams Oreganata as an appetizer and the Lasagna as my main course. The clams were delicious though I did find charging $18.00 for the six medium sized clams I received was a little much. The Lasagna at $16.00 was superb and the bechamel sauce creamy and light. Definitely a superior italian restaurant that was a delight to discover. I shall look forward to return.Special Features:
- GOOD BUT NOT GREATlarryDined on 10/4/2014WELL LOCATED FOR A PRE-THEATRE DINNER. SMALL AND CROWDED-- NOT MUCH SPACE BETWEEN TABLES. THE OCTOPUS APPETIZER WAS GREAT. LIMITED MENU-- PASTA WAS GOOD. COUPLE AT NEXT TABLE HAD TO SEND MEAL BACK-- PORK WAS ALMOST RAW. SERVER WAS ACCOMMODATING, EFFICIENT AND GOT US OUT IN TIME FOR THE SHOW.
- Unexpected TreasureaudimimsDined on 10/3/2014Found this little gem on word of friend living in Hells Kitchen! I love it! The wines they have available are superb! The food is wonderful, all with a little Gallo Nero twist. The staff is amazing, very attentive in a very busy restaurant- know the menu and the wines and make dining a pleasure! One of my favorite places to go when I am in the city, and I travel from Florida to get to them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014The weather is still nice, so the walls (doors) are open and even though you are inside, with the doors open it's charming. We were there at 2pm and the restaurant was quite empty and quiet. The food is quite good and the service was extremely pleasant.Special Features:
- Delicious and what a wine list!BeadiDined on 9/28/2014Every time I go here, I'm not disappointed, nor are my guests. They had a bolognese as a special that was literally the best one I have ever had. Everything was chopped perfectly, the nutmeg was not overwhelming and the added arugula made it extra special. Loved it! And of course, the wine list is just superb. My favorite so far......the white amazon--Black to White.Special Features:
- True Italyjpuff4Dined on 9/14/2014This place came highly recommended to me and it didn't disappoint. I went for a coworkers birthday and had a great time! I spent 4 months in Italy and have not been to a restaurant in the US with true Italian service-Genuinely friendly and energetic service! Just know, that true to Italian service, they will not give you your check unless you ask for it. I had the Gnocchi and it was fantastic! homemade and melted in my mouth. Bread and wine was also great. The ambiance was fantastic- they had all the windows/doors open so it felt like we were outside. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to someone else and would return myself.Special Features:
- Excellent dining spotBreakingBreadDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed our time at Gallo Nero. The staff was exceptionally friendly. The only thing was the food came a bit late on to the table. Our party of five including a toddler, had a wonderful time. The wine list is exceptional too. When we first walked in it seemed like it was probably too small a place but when you come in and experience the place, the interiors make you forget how close to Times Square you really are. We loved everything we ordered. My husband finished off the lamb shank in 15 minutes despite the wait and my salmon was excellent. Can't say much for the split pea soup but everything else was perfect.Special Features:
- consistent good foodmal5Dined on 9/6/2014This is the second time that I was here for lunch. and the food is always good. The red snapper was delicious. The squid ink pasta dish is a favorite. The dessert I had was described as a chocolate soufflé but was more like chocolate lava cake. It was very good. I will definitely come here again.Special Features:
- A great surprise.neighborVIPDined on 9/2/2014Booked early dinner at this restaurant because it was close to the theater we were attending. Pleasantly surprised by the exceptional and efficient service at this restaurant. The food was also surprisingly well prepared. From the outside you would have thought this was just another small NYC restaurant. Excellent wine list. Don't pass it by!Special Features:
- NJGrandmaVIPDined on 8/21/2014Enjoyed a delightful pre-theatre dinner. Very tasty food and an exceptionally friendly waiter. Would definitely return to this cozy spot.Special Features:
- ReservationCatad08Dined on 8/17/2014No complaints with the restaurant, as we didn't get to eat there. Open table allowed us to make a reservation for a time when the restaurant was not open. They were just closing as we got there. Open Table may need to improve the accuracy of their information.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Romantic!fantasticfoodieDined on 8/15/2014I made us a reservation for 6:30 with the intention of going to an 8pm Broadway show. We were seated immediately and the doors were all open because it was a beautiful evening. We settled for a delicious and reasonably priced bottle of wine and were left alone to have a lovely evening together. We ordered the calamari to start (marginal) and I had a chicken dish with mashed potatoes and spinach that was fine. My boyfriend had the lobster ravioli special which, while tasty, was pretty small for the price. Would go back again for the ambiance.Special Features:
- BalletomaneDined on 8/14/2014We returned to Gallo Nero because of the proximity to the theatre and music venues. Althought the food is very good, the noise level is much more than "energetic". Possibly something could be done to mitigate the noise.Special Features:
- Service matters, Gallo Nero gets itLateNightCommuterDined on 8/13/2014Greeted quickly, offered a beverage and was introduced to Matt our server. He was available but not intrusive and his house suggestions were spot on representing what he claimed were specialties of the chef. I ordered the blue snapper over sun dried tomato and broccoli, served hot cooked perfect. I will return to sample other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent neighborhood ItalianHappyDiner1VIPDined on 8/7/2014We had a wonderful pre-theater meal - all food was well-prepared and very good, the server was knowledgeable about the menu items, the kitchen took care of special requests for food preparation without a hitch and we were made to feel welcome as if we were regular attendees instead of first time patrons...a very pretty room with the entire front open to the street made the space seem much larger. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FerraristiDined on 8/5/2014A liitle too noisy; we could have done without the blaring music. Vast menu with great variety. Attentive service.Special Features:
- Terrific Italian foodColofoodieVIPDined on 8/3/2014Authentic Italian cooking, wonderful ambience and service. I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!WineisgoodVIPDined on 7/31/2014Good food and fun atmosphere. Try the restaurant's own wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid pre-show spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014Gallo Nero is a 5-minute walk from Times Square and has a nice ambiance. The wine list is extensive and the pasta dishes are good. Service is excellent. If you're looking for a nice place to chat and nosh before a Broadway show without breaking the bank, this is it.Special Features:
- PerfectSully38VIPDined on 7/25/2014Great service, fabulous foods, the apps are amazing, a nice wine list and a server who was knowledgeable about them, doors open, cool breeze
- nice rustic placeBigdaddyDined on 7/23/2014Nice atmosphere-very tasty calamari, octopus salad, linguini. Service a little slow when busy, but efficient and friendly otherwise.Special Features:
- consistently awesomedineoutdameDined on 7/11/2014The quality of the food and service and really good everytime. The price/value is there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat!SplinkeyDined on 7/11/2014We found Gallo Nero by accident a few years ago and have become regulars. The food is wonderful and the wine selections are perfect. Staff is friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceFarleyDined on 7/10/2014My friends and I have a wonderful dining experience at Gallo Nero. The food was very good, the service was good, and the ambience was nice. We would go back there again.Special Features:
- Good Summer StopRunSilentDined on 7/5/2014Found this place on TripAdvisor during a recent trip to NYC; was a great little place for dinner in the summertime. A little small inside, but opens right out onto the street, so it doesn't feel cramped. The food and wine were delicious and well-portioned, and the service was well-timed. There was a bit of street noise and the tables were a bit small, but it was a fair trade for the atmosphere and the food.Special Features:
- Love Gallo NeroOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/29/2014Great food great service...we love this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Great place for small plates & wineBeadiDined on 6/27/2014First time I went just for a drink before the theater and fell in love with the place and the incredible selection of wine. This time I went again before the theater and had dinner. Appetizers were amazing; food did not disappoint. Next time we'll have small plates--big selection and they have specials. Best part is it's in the theater area and tourists don't know about it.Special Features:
- The following 711 reviews are from the Gallo Nero reviews archive.
- Nice before the TheaterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/21/2014We have only been here for lunch, but it is a great place for a casual lunch and close to the theaters - but not too close. Ambiance is ver casual with doors opening on the street. Food is very nice and simply served.
- Nice surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014Gallo Nero was a very nice surprise for both myself and all members of the party. Food and drinks were very reasonably priced for this neighborhood and location. The meal was paced well with drink orders, appetizers, and the main entree. I would certainly return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014I loved the relaxed and homelike feeling. Lacey, our waitress, and Brian were very helpful in choosing our foods and wines. They were very attentive and charming. We had an assortment of appetizers . The grilled octopus was fab! Wine choices excellent! Overall experience was great! Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FindAlelujiaDined on 6/8/2014I truly enjoyed myself at Gallo Nero. I highly recommend their Spinach stuffed Ravioli; they were succulent, soft, and the sauce is to die for. It's very cozy, with a great ambiance. The wine list is entirely Italian; ask your waiter for a recommendation if you are unfamiliar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceWGuyVIPDined on 6/6/2014Our food, wine and service was great! an Italian restaurant that you need to trySpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/26/2014we enjoyed the evening , the food was really nice the service excellent and although near al the buzz of the theatres it was quiet in a good waySpecial Features:
- Pricey, but nice.WiniVIPDined on 5/24/2014This could have been a romantic spot, but while we were there there was a family with kids that were loud. The food was great, the service was wonderful. It is a small place, but sweet.Special Features:
- Pre-theater dinnercraigDined on 5/22/2014We brought relatives here that were visiting from Iowa and had a great time. Very good service, food was great, as was the wine. Prices for both food and wine are very reasonable. Great street scene, hip restaurant. All good.Special Features: