402 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gallonerony.com/
- Phone: 2122656660
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Roberto Lopez
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Gallo Nero
Gallo Nero is the new hidden gem of Hell's Kitchen. Located on 44th Street, between 9th & 10th Avenues, Gallo Nero has the great promise of becoming a new breed of tratoria with an exceptional wine selection. It's rustic feel is in tune with the wine and the friendly service only makes the place a very lovely spot, perfect for romantic dinners all the way to friendly reunions. The menu consists of a variety of items that are made to compliment every kind of taste, starting with cold cuts, Crostini, Bruschetta and cheese selections, all the way to Lamb Shank, Gnocchi and Panini. To top it all off the wines are picked from the special small vineyards in Italy, bringing a unique flavor to the area that will turn anyone into a wine lover.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gallo Nero reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (56)notable wine list (42)fit for foodies (25)romantic (22)great for lunch (16)special occasion (11)great for outdoor dining (11)good for groups (7)late-night find (7)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- True Italyjpuff4Dined on 9/14/2014This place came highly recommended to me and it didn't disappoint. I went for a coworkers birthday and had a great time! I spent 4 months in Italy and have not been to a restaurant in the US with true Italian service-Genuinely friendly and energetic service! Just know, that true to Italian service, they will not give you your check unless you ask for it. I had the Gnocchi and it was fantastic! homemade and melted in my mouth. Bread and wine was also great. The ambiance was fantastic- they had all the windows/doors open so it felt like we were outside. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to someone else and would return myself.Special Features:
- Excellent dining spotBreakingBreadDined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed our time at Gallo Nero. The staff was exceptionally friendly. The only thing was the food came a bit late on to the table. Our party of five including a toddler, had a wonderful time. The wine list is exceptional too. When we first walked in it seemed like it was probably too small a place but when you come in and experience the place, the interiors make you forget how close to Times Square you really are. We loved everything we ordered. My husband finished off the lamb shank in 15 minutes despite the wait and my salmon was excellent. Can't say much for the split pea soup but everything else was perfect.Special Features:
- consistent good foodmal5Dined on 9/6/2014This is the second time that I was here for lunch. and the food is always good. The red snapper was delicious. The squid ink pasta dish is a favorite. The dessert I had was described as a chocolate soufflé but was more like chocolate lava cake. It was very good. I will definitely come here again.Special Features:
- A great surprise.neighborVIPDined on 9/2/2014Booked early dinner at this restaurant because it was close to the theater we were attending. Pleasantly surprised by the exceptional and efficient service at this restaurant. The food was also surprisingly well prepared. From the outside you would have thought this was just another small NYC restaurant. Excellent wine list. Don't pass it by!Special Features:
- NJGrandmaVIPDined on 8/21/2014Enjoyed a delightful pre-theatre dinner. Very tasty food and an exceptionally friendly waiter. Would definitely return to this cozy spot.Special Features:
- ReservationCatad08Dined on 8/17/2014No complaints with the restaurant, as we didn't get to eat there. Open table allowed us to make a reservation for a time when the restaurant was not open. They were just closing as we got there. Open Table may need to improve the accuracy of their information.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Romantic!fantasticfoodieDined on 8/15/2014I made us a reservation for 6:30 with the intention of going to an 8pm Broadway show. We were seated immediately and the doors were all open because it was a beautiful evening. We settled for a delicious and reasonably priced bottle of wine and were left alone to have a lovely evening together. We ordered the calamari to start (marginal) and I had a chicken dish with mashed potatoes and spinach that was fine. My boyfriend had the lobster ravioli special which, while tasty, was pretty small for the price. Would go back again for the ambiance.Special Features:
- BalletomaneDined on 8/14/2014We returned to Gallo Nero because of the proximity to the theatre and music venues. Althought the food is very good, the noise level is much more than "energetic". Possibly something could be done to mitigate the noise.Special Features:
- Service matters, Gallo Nero gets itLateNightCommuterDined on 8/13/2014Greeted quickly, offered a beverage and was introduced to Matt our server. He was available but not intrusive and his house suggestions were spot on representing what he claimed were specialties of the chef. I ordered the blue snapper over sun dried tomato and broccoli, served hot cooked perfect. I will return to sample other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent neighborhood ItalianHappyDiner1VIPDined on 8/7/2014We had a wonderful pre-theater meal - all food was well-prepared and very good, the server was knowledgeable about the menu items, the kitchen took care of special requests for food preparation without a hitch and we were made to feel welcome as if we were regular attendees instead of first time patrons...a very pretty room with the entire front open to the street made the space seem much larger. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FerraristiDined on 8/5/2014A liitle too noisy; we could have done without the blaring music. Vast menu with great variety. Attentive service.Special Features:
- Terrific Italian foodColofoodieVIPDined on 8/3/2014Authentic Italian cooking, wonderful ambience and service. I will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!WineisgoodVIPDined on 7/31/2014Good food and fun atmosphere. Try the restaurant's own wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid pre-show spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2014Gallo Nero is a 5-minute walk from Times Square and has a nice ambiance. The wine list is extensive and the pasta dishes are good. Service is excellent. If you're looking for a nice place to chat and nosh before a Broadway show without breaking the bank, this is it.Special Features:
- PerfectSully38VIPDined on 7/25/2014Great service, fabulous foods, the apps are amazing, a nice wine list and a server who was knowledgeable about them, doors open, cool breeze
- nice rustic placeBigdaddyDined on 7/23/2014Nice atmosphere-very tasty calamari, octopus salad, linguini. Service a little slow when busy, but efficient and friendly otherwise.Special Features:
- consistently awesomedineoutdameDined on 7/11/2014The quality of the food and service and really good everytime. The price/value is there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat!SplinkeyDined on 7/11/2014We found Gallo Nero by accident a few years ago and have become regulars. The food is wonderful and the wine selections are perfect. Staff is friendly and welcoming.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceFarleyDined on 7/10/2014My friends and I have a wonderful dining experience at Gallo Nero. The food was very good, the service was good, and the ambience was nice. We would go back there again.Special Features:
- Good Summer StopRunSilentDined on 7/5/2014Found this place on TripAdvisor during a recent trip to NYC; was a great little place for dinner in the summertime. A little small inside, but opens right out onto the street, so it doesn't feel cramped. The food and wine were delicious and well-portioned, and the service was well-timed. There was a bit of street noise and the tables were a bit small, but it was a fair trade for the atmosphere and the food.Special Features:
- Love Gallo NeroOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/29/2014Great food great service...we love this restaurantSpecial Features:
- Great place for small plates & wineBeadiDined on 6/27/2014First time I went just for a drink before the theater and fell in love with the place and the incredible selection of wine. This time I went again before the theater and had dinner. Appetizers were amazing; food did not disappoint. Next time we'll have small plates--big selection and they have specials. Best part is it's in the theater area and tourists don't know about it.Special Features:
- Nice before the TheaterOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/21/2014We have only been here for lunch, but it is a great place for a casual lunch and close to the theaters - but not too close. Ambiance is ver casual with doors opening on the street. Food is very nice and simply served.
- Nice surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014Gallo Nero was a very nice surprise for both myself and all members of the party. Food and drinks were very reasonably priced for this neighborhood and location. The meal was paced well with drink orders, appetizers, and the main entree. I would certainly return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014I loved the relaxed and homelike feeling. Lacey, our waitress, and Brian were very helpful in choosing our foods and wines. They were very attentive and charming. We had an assortment of appetizers . The grilled octopus was fab! Wine choices excellent! Overall experience was great! Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FindAlelujiaDined on 6/8/2014I truly enjoyed myself at Gallo Nero. I highly recommend their Spinach stuffed Ravioli; they were succulent, soft, and the sauce is to die for. It's very cozy, with a great ambiance. The wine list is entirely Italian; ask your waiter for a recommendation if you are unfamiliar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceWGuyVIPDined on 6/6/2014Our food, wine and service was great! an Italian restaurant that you need to trySpecial Features:
- The following 706 reviews are from the Gallo Nero reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/26/2014we enjoyed the evening , the food was really nice the service excellent and although near al the buzz of the theatres it was quiet in a good waySpecial Features:
- Pricey, but nice.WiniVIPDined on 5/24/2014This could have been a romantic spot, but while we were there there was a family with kids that were loud. The food was great, the service was wonderful. It is a small place, but sweet.Special Features:
- Pre-theater dinnercraigDined on 5/22/2014We brought relatives here that were visiting from Iowa and had a great time. Very good service, food was great, as was the wine. Prices for both food and wine are very reasonable. Great street scene, hip restaurant. All good.Special Features:
- Great placeBarberVIPDined on 5/21/2014It was not a first time and as usual it was great expirienceSpecial Features:
- Great wines and specialsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/11/2014Delicious and authentic Italian restaurant, trattoria styleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistentTopperDined on 5/11/2014I've been here many times, and for the most part, the food has been consistently good. It's a bit pricier than the other restaurants in the area except for Marseille, but you can't get some of the wonderful appetizers anywhere else, and the entrees are excellent. I keep going back.Special Features:
- Tiny in size, BIG in flavor!NotmystyleVIPDined on 5/10/20143 days later and we are still talking about our meals; they were FABULOUS! We started with the Speck prosciutto, tomato and fontina crostini, and they were plenty to share. Then the Portuguese octopus, black olives, capers, potato salad came, and I was sold. All the flavors were jumping with happiness in my mouth. My friends ordered the pork piccata, the spinach ricotta ravioli and the hanger steak, and they could not stop raving about them. The service was wonderful, very helpful at making recommendations and efficient. This place is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failed metimeflies1Dined on 5/10/2014I brought 4 other friends with me to dinner here. I have eaten here many times and I've always enjoyed the food. A warning that it does get quite noisy if you,re having dinner pre theater. The burrata and bruschetta with chicken and pesto were fresh and perfect starters along with a caesar salad. Among us we had steak, salmon, shrimp, pasta for main meal. Everyone was fresh, tasty and not oversauced. Steak was done to perfection. We ended up with 3 bottles of wine for dinner which made things pricey. Be aware with 5 of us, they restaurant automatically added a tip in the check.
- Avoid if you canFoodieVIPDined on 5/10/2014We were suspicious re the reviews and found this restaurant to be awful. How can one ruin a Caesar salad? The ravioli were bland and overpriced for their cost. Avoid this place if u can is all I can tell you.
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/9/2014I went for a pre-theatre dinner on Friday, May 9th. The service is friendly and pretty fast. They have an amazing beer list for a small restaurant - really interesting choices. I had an IPA I had never heard of and loved it. Then, we shared the burrata which melted in our mouths. We each had a pasta dish and mine was delicious - orrichieta pasta with vodka sauce sausage and broccoli rabe. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Charming theater district ItalianCilla123Dined on 5/9/2014Teeny tiny restaurant with great food and friendly service. We went on Friday nights with a reservation. Arriving early, we sat at the bar and decided to just eat at the bar. It's a small place ad the 55 seats are packed in tight. Turned out to be a good move. We enjoyed a cheese platter and bruschetta as a starter and a well seasoned and delicious hangar steak and my husband had a salmon pasta special. Both were delicious. We finished with some yummy pistachio cheese cake and a complimentary shot of limoncello. Good experience overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great wine bar with fantastic foodcrg39VIPDined on 5/9/2014Perfect spot for a glass of wine and dinner before the theater. Delicious specials!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Place Pre TheaterpearlgirlDined on 5/3/2014Although I was a little disappointed, overall it was a good place to grab a meal if you are going to the theater. The place has charm and the food was pretty good.Special Features: