Gallo di Nero
1135 Bannock St
Denver, CO 80204Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Gallo di Nero
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gallodinero.com/
- Phone: 3038251995x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Mon-Sat 5pm-10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Joshua Barhaug
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Gallo di Nero
Here at Gallo di Nero, we believe that the journey is as important as the end result. We have partnered with a local farm to ensure that we always get the freshest products, treated with respect. Casual elegance, sophisticated bar program and gracious service all partner with the cuisine to create a memorable dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Gallo di Nero - Best Restaurants in Downtown / LoDo ›
Gallo di Nero reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)fit for foodies (17)special occasion (8)vibrant bar scene (4)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (4)romantic (3)hot spot (3)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014Excellent attentive service. The server was very knowledgeable about the dishes some of which had complex sauces. The food portions were very sufficient for the price. The lamb was cooked perfectly with a rich sauce over tender eggplant. The fish was also cooked perfectly and was wrapped in crusty slices if potato. We were given a free dessert for our anniversary which was outstanding. A pound cake with whipped cream and lemon curd. I would highly recommend this restaurant. More people need to know about it as it wasn't busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent on all counts!Jan1Dined on 7/19/2014The food is imaginative and tasty. The service superb - our server was very knowledgeable about each dish. The chef is very creative and we enjoyed everything about our meal. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningCasualDined on 7/14/2014Great food, great drinks and even greater service. I would go back tomorrow. Katy was our server. She was truly exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChuckVIPDined on 7/8/2014This restaurant is a great addition to the Golden Triangle. We have eaten there three times and the food has always been intersting and excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dining pleasure continuesDidiKVIPDined on 6/19/2014Return trip to Gallo was lovely as always. They've had some staffing changes, namely the departure of their pastry chef Celeste, but these things happen in the restaurant biz. Have hired a new bartender/staffer, Vanessa, who was super nice and I'm curious to see what her additions to the cocktail menu will be as they've not changed their cocktail list since opening last October. Food was excellent, had our favorite mushroom pizza, and tried the new chilled salmon and cucumber soup-yum! Looking for more good things to come our way from Gallo!Special Features:
- Great diningFloridianDined on 6/5/2014The pizza appetizer was delicious. But the best of the evening was the ribeye steak for two. Actually we shared it among our whole party of six. It was cooked to perfection and also delicious. The service was outstanding. We felt as if we had one server just for our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!TomandDianeVIPDined on 5/10/2014Try the peas and risotto and the pizzas, which are really more appetizers at this place are out of sight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to the neighborhood!JudeVIPDined on 5/7/2014We have eaten here twice. It is convenient to go there after visiting the Denver Art Museum or Library. The first time we had the Double Rib Steak that was surprisingly one of the BEST I have had in ages. Last night I went with a friend. We each had the carrot salad that was really good with interesting ingredients in it. My friend had the crudo which she liked but we both thought the appetizer was better than our entrees. I had the pea risotto which they were nice enough to let me substitute chicken for the pancetta. It was good, but a little soupy. They have several good wines by the glass. It was not very busy. I hope they get more popular as they are a great addition to the local restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 65 reviews are from the Gallo di Nero reviews archive.
- Awesome food and ambience!foodiebrisDined on 4/19/2014Heard about this restaurant from a friend, decided to try it out for a friends birthday, and it was a great decision. The food was well prepared and seasoned. The staff was very knowledgeable and accommodating. Additionally the ambience, was just right, allowing us to socialize, but yet the privacy to be among ourselves. I highly recommend this restaurant to anybody. Definitely try out the front range over roasted chicken!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New neighborhood gemLuv2golfVIPDined on 4/15/2014A friend recommended Gallo di Nero and I went twice within 6 days. Small menu with fresh ingredients. The second time I went, with 2 friends, we shared among us 1 salad, risotto, brussel sprouts, 1 entree and 2 desserts. We felt we had a lot of different flavors and had enough of each portion to really try. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- First time...FaceDined on 4/14/2014Definitely will not be our last! Food was incredible and wait staff was exceptional. They were very knowledgable about the dishes and passionate about the menu. The mushroom gnocchi was beyond fabulous!Special Features:
- MOREMOREDined on 3/29/2014A friend and I went to see Good People at the Curious Theatre last Saturday night and enjoyed dinner at Gallo di Nero before hand. Although the menu was limited, we found the halibut suited us perfectly and the carrot salad was also delicious as well. The wine list was excellent and the cheese plate we shared for dessert was a perfect way to end a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The PriceFrancisDined on 3/25/2014Overall, the dining experience was fine. However, the food was extremely overpriced for the quality and quantity. Had it not been for my industry discount the final bill would have been outrageous.
- Simply wonderful. Great lobsterFoodieDenverDined on 3/22/2014Simply wonderful. Great lobster and rib-eye special and the wine they selected was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good time and great food.SteveBDined on 3/22/2014The food is amazing and you can request a table near the kitchen and watch them prep your meal through the kitchen window. You can order a meal for yourself but it's much more fun to try many items and share with friends. The vibe is relaxed and fun. It's usually an energetic crowd and I cannot think of anything negative about this place. The wait staff understands food and wine. Parking is FREE and super easy. I generally don't like fighting the parking crowds right in downtown when I'm heading out for dinner with friends. Especially after a long work week when we are all just trying to relax. This place stays packed so I suggest a reservation.Special Features:
- Very good food and great spaceDaderickDined on 3/22/2014We had a very nice meal with our two kids. Food was good / very good. We had trouble finding something to order on the current menu since we're not big red meat eaters. Looking forward to see what changes this summer and fall. Service was very good. The space looks great and the cork walls keep the noise level down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent new menuDidiKVIPDined on 3/18/2014This place just keeps getting better. Chef's new March menu is inventive, interesting, challenges you to try things you normally wouldn't. Mushroom salad and mushroom pasta are amazing, mushroom pizza is delicious w/ smoky, cheesy mushrooms and the right combo of crisp but soft wood-fired crust. Detecting a mushroom theme here. Meat and fish dishes are also excellent. Beef carpaccio is nice, maybe a touch too much oil? Could use a few more vegetarian options next time? New bartender is settling in nicely and is inventive as well if you're curious what he can make you that isn't on the menu. House made desserts by Celeste are consistently delicious. Service is superb. A great crew overall. Will keep coming back to see what's next!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJillVIPDined on 3/10/2014When you are greeted with an explanation of how to navigate a menu it's usually a bad sign. What are they trying to explain away? The menu has three entrees, one of which is a steak for two. Not wanting either chicken or salmon, we tried risotto, and a good but small lasagnetti. The waiter asked, I said it was tasty but not much rice and thin. He gave me an odd look, left, and that was it. I understand the antipasto, primi... etc. but on a weeknight in Denver I don't want that much food and wasn't interested in either secondi. The menu seems to be written for the smallest amount of perishables; almost no fresh produce, mostly cured meats, two '"salads", one being roasted squash, and odd portions-our salads were larger than our pastas.
- Great place for cocktail and desserJustyVIPDined on 3/1/2014The cocktails were tasty and the bread pudding amazing. The majority of our entrees were delish with the exception of the char which was very raw on the inside. We'll definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gallo di Nero... superb!PS55Dined on 2/28/2014We'd heard about Gallo di Nero and decided to give it a try during Restaurant Week. We enjoyed every aspect of our experience, from the imaginative and well presented food to the wine, cocktails, ambiance and wait staff--everything hummed, not an easy thing to accomplish when your establishment is as constantly busy as Restaurant Week demands. Our compliments, in particular, to the Manager, who gets that the experience is as important as the food in winning a customer's repeat business. Every member of the staff, without fail, was friendly, knowledgable, professional and attentive. Our hats our off to Gallo di Nero! We'll be back soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All food was great but pizzaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/28/2014All food was great but pizza tasted exceptionally authentic like you find in Italy!!Special Features:
- This was our first visit toOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/26/2014This was our first visit to the restaurant and we were so impressed. It was the best restaurant week offering I have ever had in Denver. Large portions, great food and friendly service. I am telling everyone I know to come to Gallo di Nero. Still eating the leftover mushroom pizza. YUM! Way to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceDidiKVIPDined on 2/26/2014Gallo di Nero is my new favorite restaurant in Denver. The service is attentive and friendly and the food is inventive and delicious! Recently went there for dinner and had the white asparagus risotto, smooth and creamy. The chicken dish was tasty and filling, had enough to take home for the next day. The most unexpected and delicious dish though was the roasted acorn squash salad. You'd never think of having a roasted squash for a salad dish. It was fantastic! The pastries are house made as well and definitely worth saving room for. We'll be back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a wonderful dinnerlovevinoDined on 2/22/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Gallo de Nero!! We were not rushed and sat chatting for quite awhile. The woman who waited on us was FANTASTIC!!! Very knowledgeable about the menu and the wine list. She was especially helpful with the dessert list because she makes the desserts!! We gave her a huge tip and she deserved it! We will definitely be back to this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for the Golden TriangleBojiVIPDined on 2/20/2014Very friendly and GOSH----they remember you when you return! The food is very good---after 4 visits it is consistently great! DO NOT MISS the squash salad ! ! Artic char and mushroom pizza sooooo good. Nice friendly place, good service and comfortable surroundings. GO ! Plenty of parking on the street in front. AND they have Templeton Rye!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my lifeluv2dineDined on 2/13/2014tables for 2, are to close to each other. waitress not attentive. over priced, $10.00 soup . Oysters $16.00 per order (little oysters.) don't have Spamonii (sp) ice cream, remember its an Italian restaurant. I can not and will not go back. I am sorry.
- This is an intimate restaurantJoViDined on 2/8/2014This is an intimate restaurant that manages to keep the noise level down so dinner conversations can be enjoyed. The waitress went out of her way to make sure we had a wonderful experience. She was well informed about every dish on the menu and was able to answer, in detail, every question we asked. She had the homemade pickles and two small plates we ordered combined on one large platter. Each of the three pasta dishes we ate were delicious. The smoky flavor of their homemade pasta gave the dishes a very unusual and enjoyable flavor. The complimentary orange flavored meringue treats at the end of our meal were actually made by our waitress. They were an unexpected and delightful treat. Love this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian gem!JoelwineDined on 2/6/2014Great food, service and ambience. The oysters were the best we've ever had in Denver. The roasted squash salad was really good and the roasted chicken was to die for. All in all superb! Wine list could be better but well selected and fairly priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay neighborhood place...susanscabVIPDined on 1/25/2014Food was pretty good but no vegetables served. Sort of loud, but okay experience. Probably won't return.
- Best deal for rib-eyesusanatthecastleVIPDined on 1/25/2014The rib-eye for 2 was a great deal at $60. The steak was enough for 4 and amazingly tender and flavorful. We missed the grilled Caesar that they had a few weeks ago. Mushroom pizza was a great app. Dessert to die for. The Tiramisu or Budino if you can handle the rich chocolate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Dining ExperienceHollyBLeDined on 1/24/2014We have season tickets to Curious Theatre - always looking for good places to eat nearby. Gallo di Nero is our new favorite! Warm, comfortable ambiance. Server, Celeste, was cheerful, knowledgeable, and attentive. I enjoyed the White Lady martini - clearly prepared with care and panache. We started with a delectable Wood Fired Acorn Squash salad, and each had a pasta dish. My White Asparagus Risoto was sublime. The desserts were also amazing. Can't wait to go back; lunch menu looks great, too, and the patio should be sweet in warmer weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good effortluckyDined on 1/17/2014really had a nice experience at this well appointed neighborhood restaurant. great fast service from a knowledgeable waitress (Katie) and good food choices. homemade pickled veggies, nice salumi platter, great cauliflower soup w a nice touch of a foie gras croquette on top. interesting ribeye for two- big and tasty for my dining partners. authentic Bolognese w a great carrot base mellowing the acidity of the tomatoes- someone spent a lot of time on that ragu! sure we'll be back there soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for museum outingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/17/2014Gallo di Nero was accommodating, seating our group at the "chef's table" where we could watch the pizza dough twirling and the wood-fired stove. Service was great, and we enjoyed a lovely Malbec that fit the ambiance and the menu. The food we were served satisfied us with everything we tried -- from a lovely and creative antipasto plate to really well-made pizza, with lively and different toppings. Cauliflower soup was outstanding. We were headed to the Denver Art Museum right up the block, so this restaurant should definitely work to get itself represented on all the websites that claim to list restaurants near the DAM. It took me a bit of looking to find them on the Internet.Special Features:
- We went on a Saturday nightAnnieVIPDined on 1/11/2014We went on a Saturday night and the restaurant was full. We were seated immediately (with a reservation), and got our drinks promptly. We all shared the mushroom pizza as an appetizer and it was fabulous. The roasted squash salad was fantastic....good enough for me to try to make it at home. I had the Arctic Char and it was done perfectly. My husband had pasta with the boar Bolognese and said it was great. We split a couple of desserts....and I had low expectations despite a great dinner and I was won over. The brioche bread pudding and the pear almond crostata were both so good I can't pick a favorite (and I am a picky dessert eater). Would highly recommend. Great location too near the Denver Art & Still museums and Curious theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the SpecialKrisDined on 1/2/2014Gallo di Nero continues to impress us. The special pasta with duck confit, Duck Spaghettoni, was wonderful! We also split the roasted vegetable salad, which was perfectly prepared! The wine suggestion from Erica complemented the pasta superbly!Special Features:
- Great Service..... Okay food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013I really enjoyed the service here and thw wait staff was very warm and friendly. Would have liked to see more menu options and richer dishes. Otherwise I enjoyed the dinnerSpecial Features:
- I had never heard of thisOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/31/2013I had never heard of this restaurant, but it was one of few places to have available reservations on New Years Eve. Without having heard any buzz about it, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. I loved the atmosphere, with low lighting and rustic wooden tables. I had the Baby Leek Potage to start, and the Wild Boar Bolognese for the entree. It was wonderful. The Denver food scene is all about buzz, but I love that you can still find a nice restaurant with a great service and quality food and a completely unpretentious neighborhood crowd---oh! and we parked at a meter right in front of the restaurant for free (after 6)!Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/30/2013A number of restaurants have been in this location and now finally there is one that is incredible! With a chef from Elway's and Frasca, you can't go wrong. We explored a large portion of the menu and were beyond impressed with every single item. Perfect flavor pairings, perfect plate size, etc. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adored this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/26/2013At first glance, it appeared to be in a desolate part of town (we almost canceled our reservation while standing outside of the restaurant), but much to my surprise, the restaurant was beautiful, the staff was incredible and the food was excellent. I can hear the echoes of my third grade teacher saying "Never never judge a book by its cover." Definitely check this restaurant out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodkittyDined on 12/26/2013Everything was just fantastic. Looking forward to going back.Special Features: