Galeto Brazilian Grill
1019 Clay Street
Oakland, CA 94607Neighborhood:
BrazilianPrice: $31 to $50
Galeto Brazilian Grill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://galeto.com/
- Phone: (510) 238-9388
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, Saturday (close for lunch) Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Steakhouse, Brazilian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please coordinate event by contacting our catering manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cross Street: 11th Street
- Public Transit: Galeto is conveniently locate 1 block north of the 12th street Bart station located at Broadway and 12th Street
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Galeto is near several public parking lots, adjacent to the building at 11th street,there is a central parking, and directly across Clay street there is the Oakland Convention Center's parking lot.
A word from Galeto Brazilian Grill
More than our name, Galeto is our signature dish; the finest free range all natural chicken bathed in a seven-herb marinade you will find nowhere else, roasted to perfection, and served up family-style. Galeto is the heart of what we do. And if tender chicken roasted in the Brazilian tradition is the heart of Galeto, its soul is our attention to quality, freshness, and sustainability. Galeto is where we serve free-range chicken, fed nothing but organic corn, wheat, and soybean meal; never any animal byproducts, GMOs, antibiotics or pesticide-treated grains. Galeto is where appetizers are also served to your fill. The endless feast includes Sopa de Capeletti, your choice of delicious pastas, and a salad bar featuring chef-designed and green salads prepared daily; cutting board offerings of salami, aged prosciutto, and a variety of cheeses; and Mediterranean varietiesContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Galeto Brazilian Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (39)special occasion (31)fit for foodies (24)neighborhood gem (22)romantic (11)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (10)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- nice. but loudHeathDined on 11/22/2014Good food, but noise level on a Saturday night was high due to nightclub upstairs. Drowned out the Bossa Nova and most conversations. Passion Fruit Mousse was delightful. And the beef when it came around was juicy and tender. The Pinot Noir from Chile was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Service at GaletoPapaGCrabtreeVIPDined on 11/22/2014Went to Galeto Grill tonight to celebrate our anniversary with my lovely wife Giovanna Moresi-Crabtree I have been to other Brazilian Restaurants before, but never have I seen so many choices and delicious flavors in one place! The service is second to NONE and the price is more than reasonable. we will be back and bring everyone that will come with us to this great spot! Congratulations Galeto Grill for exceeding our expectations and with everything else the desserts and coffee were excellent!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ValuePaulDined on 11/20/2014This is a fun place to be... just see those Meat Servers walking around with a knife, kind of funny... But if you are a family with kids... be careful.... Great food, very fresh... nice and clean, very airy ambience...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glovesmVIPDined on 11/18/2014This place is amazing! The idea of a Brazilian churrascaria could be executed well or not well at all with the amount of meat they go through. I first asked how many meats would be coming around - 12 types - and paced myself to be sufficiently full and not overly full. The servers were great and very attentive and the quality was top notch, each meat perfectly done and not overcooked. I would love to come back here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very friendly, attentive staff. Delicious food!MichDDined on 11/16/2014Owner (bald guy), very warm, friendly and attentive. Staff in general are all very friendly and attentive. Food, is delicious and perfect ambiance for a date night. Not too far from Jack London Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved :-)VioletDined on 11/7/2014Fantastic super friendly staff -- they make you feel at home :-) Great food -- delicious meats and salad bar. Planning to be there again soon :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- captain9Dined on 11/5/2014From the front desk throughout the restaurant, we were treated royally. The ambience was great. The food was outstanding, reminding us of Brazil. The service was divine. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceYummyDined on 11/1/2014We here for the first time this weekend. The service was excellent and the food was incredible. My only suggestion would be to add a little more variety to the meats like sausages..... We will go back we have a number of Brazilian friends that would really enjoy it.
- Mediocre service and foodDaveyRVIPDined on 11/1/2014Like so many others, a Travelzoo promotion led us to their door. Once every 10-15 minute visits by the sole person assigned to the dining room filled with tables with very limited variety of meats eventually gave way more than half way through our meal to 2-3 "meat carvers" eventually showing up. This lead to more frequent visits of food other than that self served from their salad bar though did not address the limited variety of choice. Would not return.
- A Great Place in Oaklandgood4UDined on 11/1/2014Galeto is a place where you come in hungry and leave as full as you want to be. The Salad Bar is extensive and every thing is fresh and very tasty. It's a meat lovers delight but you don't have to partake because there are many other optionsSpecial Features:
- Improve on FoodBigfoodieDined on 10/28/2014I have eaten at Brazallian steak house before and this one had very little selection from salad bar and meats. It's not worth the price for just sirloin. They didn't have much options meat. For the same price at a different Brazilian steakhouse, there are at least 3 time more options. Wait staff was not attentive despite us being the only table there. She spent whole time talking at the bar. Meat servers were very nice and provided excellent service. Way too overpriced for quality of meal.Special Features:
- Great DinnerDmacivDined on 10/18/2014Great Oakland brazilian steakhouse. Much better alternative than going all the way to Espetus or others in SF. The service was quick and the food enjoyable. The meat did look pretty rare but maybe this is how they intended it to be. Either way our party was ok with it but someone who enjoys more well done meat would probably not like it. The other bummer was my dad cracked his tooth on an olive pit that was in his guacamole. Put a damper on his meal needless to say.Special Features:
- Outstanding service and foodelsowindyDined on 10/14/2014Wanted to try this place out since we love this style of Brazilian dining. We had great service, and the atmosphere was perfect. Able to converse with out a lot of background noise. The food was excellent and the wait staff was very accommodating. Must save room for the parmesan pork, juicy and the best thing they have on the stick next to the chicken they bring on a small grill. The salad bar has so many choices, and my favorites were the quinoa salad with cranberries. My husband loved the red hot pepper salsa, but beware - this is for folks who like it hot! Wasn't able to try everything, so we will be back. Good place for a festive dinner with good friends.Special Features:
- DisappointedRONSVIPDined on 10/11/2014Our first issue was the 35 minute wait with a reservation at 8:15pm. The staff was overwhelmed, some waiters were also bar tending at the same time. The food when it finally did come was very good, the buffet seemed like and afterthought, nothing that worthwhile to choose from compared to many other of the Brazilian style restaurants. We kept wanting to give this place a chance ordered desserts which again were very good but it took 30 minutes to get. Unfortunately there were too many stumbles that overshadowed the food.
- meh.chiiDined on 10/11/2014I had a coupon for this place via travelzoo. First impression is that the place seemed nice. I like that the restaurant is not overcrowded. appetizers were average, I enjoyed the salad bar, soup was boring, the meat was good. Dessert was not included in my coupon but the group I was with decided to get some desserts too. One thing that bothered me throughout the night was how SLOW the service was. I understand that they were understaffed but the apology I received from the waiter did not seem genuine. It bothered me that when the bill came I automatically had to tip him 18% (assuming because I was in a group of 6). They need to work on better service since I am being force me to tip 18%. Will NOT go back, would never pay full price!!
- Great find!SouthStarDined on 10/8/2014Nice Brazilian BBQ (churrascaria/rodizio) style. It's a great place to dine with friends and family. The staff is outstanding and food amazing. The salad bar could offer a little more varieties and maybe a few more different types of meat if the price keeps the same. If decreasing the price I'd agree with the rotation as is. Quality of the meats are amazing however. The pasta offered is a little too much as I hate to see food go to waste. I assume that the pasta does go to waste the majority of the time as it shows up almost at the end of the course when we're full from all the meats and salads. The finance person in me is wondering if they analyzed that into the cost effectiveness of the biz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Galeto GrillnopadinnerDined on 10/6/2014Come ready to eat! This is a buffet type restaurant so they bring different kinds of meat to your table until you tell them to stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very poor serviceartcDined on 10/5/2014This is our second visit to this restaurant and their service is only getting worse. We'll never go back
- B-day DinnerdrefromthebayDined on 10/3/2014The food was good. Go prepared to eat, a lot. The Gaucho's that served the meat were great! The hostess' were great!Special Features:
- Great FoodBURGEEBDined on 10/3/2014Great food and excellent service, would gladly take friends and family here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening celebration!lawstudent16Dined on 9/22/2014I couldn't have asked for a better dinner experience to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. The staff was attentive and friendly from start to finish. The food was amazing. I can't recall the names of all the things we had but the pasta, cheesebread and sirloin were stellar. If you have a chance, GO! It is worth the visit- as it is such a delightful atmosphere and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!!!kry510VIPDined on 9/20/2014This is better than Espetus in SF in my opinion. The AYCE meal comes with pasta and they have more options at the salad bar. Not to mention, they have a warmer on your table! They have a portable "stove" that keeps your food warm. Their service is also AMAZING. We ordered sangrias and our waiter made a new batch and gave us a free refill! Now THAT is SERVICE! :)Special Features:
- Very enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/17/2014My husband and I enjoyed our experience at Galeto. The service staff and owner were very friendly and engaging. The only criticism we had was that the bacon wrapped pork and beef were a bit on the dry side, but the sirloin was like butter and melted in one's mouth and the rest of the food was very good. We had ordered ravioli's, but unfortunately our attentive waiter was not told that the kitchen was out and he came back very apologetics. The salad bar was excellent and the mango salad superb.Special Features:
- Great foodJackieDined on 9/14/2014The food was really good. There was not one thing I tasted I didn't like. I like my meat well done, and they honored that on the churasco. Reservation was easy. I couldn't understand why it was not packed... maybe the price and location? not sureSpecial Features:
- LOUD LOUD LOUDrng1101VIPDined on 9/13/2014This is the worst dining experience ever! We tried to use a dinner for 2 with wine from TravelZoo, but since I only had the purchase confirmation email and not the voucher, it did not work. We tired to make the most out of it. But what was most bothersome was the noise level was out of control. The only positive thing here was the manager tried to help with the voucher issue and the waiter, who forgot to bring our wine, comped us on the wine when he eventually brought it. I have tried authentic Brazilian steak places in Sao Paulo (for example Barbacoa) and this place fails to compare. I may still reconsider them for lunch, maybe it will be more manageable.
- Great meat, salad - deafening noiseFoodFanDined on 9/13/2014Odd combination of Brazilian BBQ and pasta course. I'd skip the soup and pasta, go directly to the great salad bar and wonderful grilled meats. We really wanted to try the passion fruit mousse but I was so assaulted by the noise level that we skipped dessert.Special Features:
- when your reputation is at steakBURGEEBDined on 9/12/2014awesome food and service, great choice of meats with a friendly atmosphere. I would definitely "steak" my claim on this gem, its a great place to "meat" up with friends :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thanks...its a great experiencemontel2007Dined on 9/11/2014Thanks.we went for moms anniversary. .she had a great experience. .we hope you keep up the great service..interactions with clients was great to me..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/10/2014We had the travel zoo voucher. The service were great and food were good.Special Features:
- decent food but needs some workartcDined on 9/7/2014We had a travelzoo voucher so our food was about 40% the regular price. If we could always use a voucher this place would be well worth it. But for full price, NO. It's mostly about the really, really ill-trained staff and resulting poor service. The food was decent- really liked the salad bar; didn't appreciate the re-cooked chicken. Overall the meat selections were hit-or-miss (mostly well-done which is a mistake). The service in courses is a weird and probably ill-informed concept, and overall the food didn't come out quick enough. The place was relatively empty, probably because the exterior lacks a prominent identifying sign, making it difficult to find. We would go back if they reduce their prices. Otherwise, it's a pass.
- Tasty food but overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/6/2014From the 4 courses, some the appetizers and meats were very flavorful. Others were quite bland and forgetful like the soup and some of the various meats had the same seasoning. The side dishes were very bountiful and delicious. However, service was still very slow. The menu was overpriced. Overall it was an OK experience dining out with the special voucher for two but I would not pay full price for the too casual atmosphere for the dollar to be spent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a typical rodizioWAYMMDTDined on 9/5/2014Churrascaria-light w/an Italian twist, plan on a 2-hr leisurely meal: To start, our waiter served appetizers (pao de queijo, fried polenta & banana), followed by a soup (cheese tortellini in a nice & light chicken broth) and then we chose a pasta (choice of 2 pastas & 3 sauces). Next we headed to the salad bar, which had everything from meats & cheeses, grilled eggplant, baba, hummus, & guac(!), to rice, beans, fish(!) and a delightful "Brazilian crepe w/shredded chicken," plus actual "salads" (lettuce, potato, couscous, and quinoa). Once we got our salads, our waiter brought our pasta & galeto. Then the meats started (no red/green signal & we only counted 6 meats, good picanha & top sirloin). No pineapple :( but pretty good tres leches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service....what service?BeachBabe5Dined on 9/5/2014We walked into an empty restaurant and were placed in a table smack center. The hostess asks "is this okay?" as we look around at all the empty tables. I start pointing at another table near a window and she snarks, well those are all reserved, so this is your only option. I think, "why would she even ask?" We sit down and are swarmed with wait staff-in-training. Nobody seems to know anything and they all have to ask each other questions. They would not accommodate my gluten allergy and served us soup and pasta even though I asked for an alternative. The food was mediocre, at best. It was buffet-style and everything was stale and overcooked. The meat on spits was so awful...no flavor and tough for the most part. The fusion was a FAIL!
- Expect improvements each timelocalcommentDined on 8/30/2014I've eaten at Galeto twice now- when they first opened, and now again for my birthday. The first time, they dropped a full glass of wine all over our table, but things happen and the food was all delicious. They didn't have tres leches cake. Since then, I've been waiting to go back. Before checking them out again recently, I decided to look at all their reviews. There were a lot of people who were disappointed that it was not 100% rodizio; there were also a lot of people who didn't think the meats came quick enough. So, then we went and I was impressed to see that our server explained to us the difference and offered Galeto or Brazilian style, the latter meaning they bring meats as soon as you want. To top it off, they added tres leches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brazilian Grill I've TriedJayNVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great new addition to downtown Oakland. The grilled meats were fabulous, especially the chicken - very tasty and unique. The steak was also excellent and is available from rare to well done. The servers are very attentive and make sure everyone tries each cut and gets as much as they want. If you want more, just ask! The salad bar is awesome, far more than "salad" including fish, meats, hummus, grilled vegetables, guac -- yum, could easily make a meal of it, but don't! If you try everything you will fill up, so save room for grilled meats. The space is beautifully designed - high ceilings, really cool bar, generous seating area and warm, romantic colors and lighting. Friendly owners and staff, very accomodating. You'll want to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceSarakudayDined on 8/15/2014Service was slow, only had 1 waiter serving the meats and it wasn't coming out fast enough. The meat selection is slim, not many choices. The salad bar was great.Special Features:
- WolfGWolfgDined on 8/15/2014I would not consider this place a top of the line Brazilian Steakhouse, but what they charge is equal to a top of the line place. Everything about the place is, in a word, modest. The cuts of meat that they bring around are tasty, but limited. The night we were there, there were only four cuts of meat. Usually, you would expect to see at least double that. The salad bar is okay, but nothing elaborate. I didn't like that they brought a small charcoal griller to the table to keep some chicken wings warm. The smoke from the charcoal was too much and I had to have them take it away. There seems to be a subtle effort to get you to fill up on the basics before the meat starts to come around. The service was, again, okay.
- SmartSmartDined on 8/10/2014I like the chicken on the grill and the pasta. What I didn't like was getting a bill for the pasta. I have been to Espetus Restaurant and the way they bring out the meat, you are not eating there waiting, the just flows. Also I like my meat cooked medium rare and all the meat was on the well done side. I feel your price are high compare to Espetus. On the noise and family came in with the sons and the little boy started running back and forward in the Restaurant and no one said nothing. The only reason why I would not commend to a friend, because most of my friend as being to Espetus, and you prices are the same but not the same amount of food.
- All around awesome...SqueevenDined on 8/9/2014If there was one complaint it is that I hardly had a chance to breathe between more food appearing.(I know, I know tough life huh?) Everyone and everything was excellent on our visit. I couldn't have been happier unless they offered a service to roll me out to the car after filling me with so much food. It's hard not to fill up on the "Salad Bar", I put it in parenthesis, because there were so many things other than salad, including some very tasty hot dishes.
- Not a big meat eatereasilyentertainedDined on 8/8/2014But found the food wonderful and left very full! The salad choices were awesome. Just about anything you want was available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.