452 South Fair Oaks Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91105Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.galesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6264326705
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Fausto Tinelli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Gale's menu adapts well to both office and personal catering. Check with us to see how our personalized menus can be tailored for your next event.
A word from Gale's
Gale's Restaurant is a totally local spot. It offers remarkably solid Northern Italian fare just down the road from all the hubbub. Couples, families and friends that seem to have just finished a day outdoors snuggle among the brick walls and small marble tables, drinking wine from elegant Brighton goblets. Start it off with a Burrata Salad or a steamed artichoke and then move on to the country-style Tuscan steak or one of the house made ravioli specials. For dessert, don't miss the Tiramisu or the Coconut Cake which is uncommonly tasty. The wine list is a favorite among the guests for it's variety and excellent value.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Gale's - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Gale's reviews from OpenTable diners
165 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (125)fit for foodies (86)special occasion (63)great for lunch (59)good for groups (50)romantic (26)notable wine list (25)great for brunch (24)kid-friendly (24)hot spot (15)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (9)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Hit and MissOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2014Came here last week and I enjoyed the roasted vegetable pizza but, my wife's mushroom ravioli was too salty for her. Service was good.Special Features:
- Top Notch ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014I've been to Gale's numerous times as I love the food. The staff remains the same, which to me is a very good sign. The host that greeted us was very friendly and accommodating, as were the two ladies that took our order and served our meal. I happily recommend this neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valuewinendineDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant is an excellent value. Great Italian food! Large portion sizes. Pasta was perfectly cooked and the meat sauce was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big DisapointmentlookingtobearegularDined on 8/22/2014I went to Gale's with my 16 and 17 year old children.....looking forward to a nice family meal. It was way too noisy......we could not hear each other. Our waiter seemed impatient with us, did not offer suggestions and did not come by our table during our entire meal. No water refill offer nor additional glass of wine the entire meal. Food was marginal at best. I think even the oil and balsamic was off.
- Will come back every anytime!JayhollaDined on 8/21/2014The food was fabulous! The service fabulous! Everything about this gem is delightful. I love the at home atmosphere. The star of the night was Raul! What a kind man with a wonderful personality! I almost caught myself calling him " Uncle Raul!"! My family and I will come back just to be served by him (and of course the food)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!GFAFoodDined on 8/21/2014We have been dining at Gales for years. The pasta al forno is a family favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodmaryslightDined on 8/21/2014I love the Poached Salmon Salad they serve as a Lunch special. It is so fresh and tasty!Special Features:
- consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/17/2014We have gone to Gale's for many years now, and its service and good are consistently good, very good. It is our go to spot for really good, not fancy or contrived, Italian food. The specials keep changing so there is always variety and something new to try. The waiters are attentive, the space is bustling without being loud. It is our favorite restaurant in PasadenaSpecial Features:
- pizza to ravioli to pastaleroyDined on 8/13/2014we had it all and it was very yummy...the service was terrific and dessert was great...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gale's is a terrific restaurantKdineDined on 8/10/2014This Italian inspired gem is well priced and has wonderful food. My swordfish steak was cooked to perfection and a beautiful presentation. The staff is friendly and well trained to delivery exactly the level of service you want. Take your time or in a hurry they are so accommodating this was about my 10th time at Gale's and I am always surprised how good it is. I recommend it for friends and families without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time to Gale'sYummyfoodDined on 8/10/2014The food and the service was great. The portions are big, I would recommend sharing. I felt a little out of place, I'm assuming it was because we went on a Sunday afternoon with all the regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- what did we miss?2alwayshungryDined on 8/9/2014Went to Gales based on the high rating. Nice atmosphere, friendly and efficient service but food quality was poor, poor,poor. Pork shank was dry and fatty while risotto was mushy and flavorless. My wife's shrimp with broccoli over pasta had adequate quality in the vegetable and shrimp but pasta was overcooked and from a box. Overall Gale's was a major disappointment and overpriced for the quality and experience despite the large portions of low quality food. The next day we went for dinner to a small, old school family Italian restaurant in San Gabriel which was blew Gales away in quality, value and fun at less than 50% the cost. Based upon our experience you can do far better without much effort in a town that has tons of good options.Special Features:
- Way Above AveragetoughcustomerDined on 8/8/2014Great food and service. Wonderful ambience. Giving others a run for their money. Ladies restroom is adorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place for LunchKathleenVIPDined on 8/7/2014Lots of yummy choices for lunch; salads, pizza and pasta, as well as main courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AN UNEXPECTED FIND IN PASADENA1KTravelerVIPDined on 8/5/2014I must admit I was skeptical going to an Italian restaurant named "Gales." Once inside the door, I was quickly proven wrong as we had one delicious course after another. We split appetizers of figs with blue cheese and the tomato and Burrata salad. Wow! The main course was a special Swordfish served with a dreamy olive and sundried tomato tapenade. For dessert, the sampler was a generous portion of the best desserts on the menu. Service was friendly, and very attentive. If you want the best in home style Italian food with fresh wholesome ingredients, be sure to check out Gales's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Northern Italian fare at its bestconnectrDined on 7/31/2014Gale's has superb food, served quickly by a reasonable attentive staff. The only issue was the noise level. Why do so many restaurants today have no sound absorbing materials anywhere? The bar was jumping and due to the proximity to the dining area the noise level can get way too loud. But the food is wonderful. Be sure to make reservations, no matter when you plan to go!Special Features:
- Something SpecialpoohDined on 7/30/2014I took my daughter for a date night and her Birthday, the food was very good, service friendly, not stuffy, the whole place seems warm and comfortable. We both really enjoyed the whole place. We ate, drank and talked..................thank you Can't wait to go back and try something else, being Italian and always cooking at home the food was a real treat and done so well......Special Features:
- Pasadena's best Italian restaurantfoodieVIPDined on 7/27/2014As always we left content. I've said it all before-- Pasadena's best Italian restaurant. Bon Appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingStayseaDined on 7/27/2014You can't go wrong with this restarunt. The food was incredible. The staff and service were amazing. The whole dining experience made for a great night with the familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Gale'sMimiDined on 7/25/2014Gale's has the best Northern Italian food in Pasadena and the menu always has some new items which can dazzle you. I recently had a burrata salad with roasted tomatoes, avocado and a bit of pesto sauce and it, as they say, "melted in my mouth."Special Features:
- Popular placeDelciciousDined on 7/24/2014Had a business dinner here and the food was delicious. It was very busy and the feel of the place was upbeat and friendly. Ambience just ok, but didn't matter since all else was just fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super TuscanRonRVIPDined on 7/23/2014Gale's combines great food with an affordable wine list. Rene always greets you like a brother and makes you feel at home. What more can you ask? Oh, and the food prices are reasonable. We love it.Special Features:
- Perfect in every wayazfoodieDined on 7/19/2014Had reservations, seated immediately, offered a drink and bread shortly thereafter. Great menu and wine, server was professional and personable. The pasta was so good and you can tell it was homemade. Very special. I unfortunately do not live in the area, but if I did, I would be a REGULAR.Special Features:
- Extremely PleasedFit4FoodDined on 7/19/2014This was my first visit to Gale's Restaurant where I met a friend for lunch. The menu was terrific and has something for everyone including very tasty and creative dishes. The fresh bread was served still steaming, and our meal was spectacular. We ate everything on our plate. The staff was extremely friendly and took great care of us. I will definitely be dining at Gales again - my friend and I plan to meet there again for our next lunch to try something else on the menu! Overall this is a great restaurant!Special Features:
- Alawys a treat!Beluga1Dined on 7/18/2014I love gale's, I love giving Rene a hug upon arrival, he makes us always feel so welcome. Food is always fantastic, try the lamb chops!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PJMcVIPDined on 7/17/2014we always enjoy dining there. the food is excellent as well as the service.Special Features:
- Always spot onFoodiefunDined on 7/16/2014They do a wonderful job with all of the details at Gale's and if you haven't tried the coconut cake you haven't lived!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/12/2014We made a reservation late in the day on Saturday for a 8:30pm dinner. When we got there, we were seated in the front, our favorite area of the restaurant. It was very busy right up until we left at 10:00pm. We've ordered pizza several times and are always impressed. We ordered the roasted beet salad and the Rosemary Roasted Chicken. It was very good. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had no idea!LV2LADined on 7/5/2014Nothing makes me happier than to find a restaurant that delivers great food and service. I had never heard about Gale's until I was researching a good Italian Restaurant in Pasadena. The food was savory, delicious and very filling. Generous portions had us taking home containers for lunch the next day. I live in Las Vegas where I'm surrounded by amazing restaurants but there is something about traveling to my hometown of Pasadena and enjoying a great meal surrounded by great people. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good and Happy ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014I came here with 5 other adults for my birthday celebration. The wine was excellent. The dessert platter was excellent. Everyone liked what they ordered to eat. I enjoyed the fig appetizer. I asked not to be seated by the street side of the restaurant and at that time they were able to do that for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies who lunchAnneMDined on 7/3/2014My friend and I each had a salad - the roasted beet and the Huntington. Both salads were delicious, and huge, and we each took a lot home in boxes. The wait staff was courteous and thoughtful, attentive but not at all intrusive, and willing to let us chat for a long time before ordering. We sat in the back room, which is quieter than the front. I'd been to Gale's for dinner, but not lunch, and will definitely be going back now that I have become a "lady who lunches."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very NoisyDisappointedDined on 6/28/2014I had not been to Gale's in many years, and remembered that the food was very good. But I had forgotten how noisy it can be. People at the next table and beyond were so loud, we had to stop talking in order not to enter the yelling match that were taking place at the other tables. What adds to the ambiance but increases the noise level, is the fact that the kitchen is open to the restaurant. Too bad, I'll not go there again.Special Features:
- Our favorite place.JaneDined on 6/28/2014Friendly "go to" restaurant that simply has great food. It is our favorite place for a romantic "date night" and is also a wonderful spot for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- la101Dined on 6/27/2014I love Chichen Piccata,Spinach Lasagna and Blueberry Creame Brulee....Food is deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SamsonDined on 6/27/2014The noise level in the main part of the restaurant, where we were seated, is very loud and makes it hard for even two people to hear each other to converse. Nothing is there to quiet the sounds. (Of course, for some people that would be a positive factor.) There is a large back room where the bar is that is much quieter and pleasant because it has acoustic deadeners. In the future we will request seating in the back. I would suggest that management ask people making reservations or coming in without whether they would prefer the noisy area of the quieter area. Aside from that it is a great restaurant. The food and service are great. And the owner participates in, supports and contributes to local events and charities.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service, Happy Vibe!CJsCritiqueDined on 6/27/2014Fennel salad was delicious! Shared a mushroom and garlic pizza and the fettuccini carbonara. Pizza was just OK - skimpy on the mushrooms. Carbonara was a real disappointment. The noodles were excellent but the dish had no flavor. Instead of an egg and wine sauce base, it had a bland cream sauce. And there was no taste of pepper or garlic or cheese. Not even a little fresh parsley tossed in. Very boring. Having said that, we will be back; overall we really like this place and the food. Make a reservation!
- Love2eatoutVIPDined on 6/22/2014This was our first visit and, based on the Open Table reviews, had high expectations. Unfortunately, the food was mediocre, not bad by any means, but not as outstanding as we were expecting it to be.
- Great neighborhood ItalianChrisVIPDined on 6/21/2014Easily the best Italian food in Pasadena. Great food, great service, great valueSpecial Features:
- Gale's Italian RestaurantfoodfanDined on 6/21/2014Food is good (not great) with large portions. Waiters are friendly and try to be attentive. Waiting time for each course was excessive and we were not in a rush at all. Room we were put in had several large tables and the noise level was unacceptably high. Might go back now that we know what to expect.Special Features:
- tucked away restaurantbasketballDined on 6/21/2014we came with a group 7 women and my husband. The women came to Pasadena for Women Senior Basketball three on three half court. 50 yrs to 70 years old. We saw your restaurant on the internet so we thought we would try it. Tiffany was our server and she did super. The service was super and the food was very good. We will come back to your restaurant and we will recommend your restaurant. We had dinner there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.