452 South Fair Oaks Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91105Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.galesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (626) 432-6705
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Fausto Tinelli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Gale's menu adapts well to both office and personal catering. Check with us to see how our personalized menus can be tailored for your next event.
A word from Gale's
Gale's Restaurant is a totally local spot. It offers remarkably solid Northern Italian fare just down the road from all the hubbub. Couples, families and friends that seem to have just finished a day outdoors snuggle among the brick walls and small marble tables, drinking wine from elegant Brighton goblets. Start it off with a Burrata Salad or a steamed artichoke and then move on to the country-style Tuscan steak or one of the house made ravioli specials. For dessert, don't miss the Tiramisu or the Coconut Cake which is uncommonly tasty. The wine list is a favorite among the guests for it's variety and excellent value.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Gale's - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Gale's reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (111)fit for foodies (84)good for groups (57)great for lunch (57)special occasion (48)notable wine list (30)romantic (23)kid-friendly (21)hot spot (21)great for brunch (12)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (5)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Some of the best service I've ever experienced.SDfoodieVIPDined on 11/22/2014Food was so so. Service was extraordinary. I would try again.Special Features:
- OutstandingWantaeatDined on 11/20/2014Outstanding authentic Italian food with friendly, perfect service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, good vibe, food is average to good.RegularJoeDined on 11/15/2014We had a reservation for seven, arrived on time, but weren't seated until 7:30. Parties arriving after us were seated before we were. Rather surprising. Hostess was very nice. Waitress nice but rushed, maybe another server didn't show up for work and she had more tables than usual. Girlfriend had ravioli de mare which she loved. I had chicken piccata which I found to be average. Chicken a little dry and a little tough, but sauce was excellent. Rosemary potatoes a little bland. Sautéed spinach was great. Overall, good ambiance, friendly hostess, nice (but rushed) server, food was average to good. For $80 I felt my meal could have been better, but we liked the place so much that we'll probably be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LucyVIPDined on 11/15/2014Gale's is consistently delicious with their regular menu items and specials. The wait staff provide excellent service, I am a regular. I have tried other Italian restaurants in the area and I prefer the Gale's. The lamb osso bucco with risotto was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be a regularElzowDined on 11/14/2014The setting is very interesting. It is a very busy "happening " place. Good people watching and a place to meet Pasadena through happenstance. The food is diverse sand of high consistent quality. As a senior couple, noise is a major obstacle to a regular presence.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gale's is our choice for Italian!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/14/2014We eat out a lot but always return to Gales when we want the best in Italian cuisine. We are never disappointed, and Rene (Gale's husband) always remembers us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night to rememberCatalinagalDined on 11/9/2014My husband and I were greeted by two friendly hostesses and were seated promptly at 6:00 pm, the time of our reservations. My husband wanted to go to a good Italian restaurant and I remembered that my first visit to Gale's with my girlfriends was enjoyable. My husband feasted on chicken parmesan and I on whitefish with sauteed spinach and broccoli which was to "die" for. The cabernet wine was delicious. The evening at Gale's was perfect and romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- s2artrVIPDined on 11/1/2014Great food and wonderful service. We will be back.Special Features:
- DinnerOutVIPDined on 10/31/2014This was our first time dining at Gale's. We had a great dinner. From appetizers, to wine, entrees, and desert everything was delicious. Service was friendly and attentive. We're looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very dependable Gale'sDenagirlVIPDined on 10/31/2014Food is always excellent here and the portions tend to be very generous. There is a broad range of dishes, from your standard Italian choices of pastas, soups, salads to more unusual items such as prawns with battered cauliflower which was similar to a tempura dish and which was really, really good. Wines by the glass list I find a bit limited and not that interesting. Atmosphere was warm and lively. Service, as usual, was very efficient. You know what you're getting at Gale's and it is always very good. Can get very busy and there isn't a lot of room to wait for a table. Best to book in advance.Special Features:
- All around fabulous experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014It's verybust there but they took us right back for our reservation. Fresh warm bread with oil to start with a nice glass of wine. We had a variety of plates and all were Brett satisfied and very full! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A StapleGdelpasaVIPDined on 10/30/2014Always a great time, from the great ambiance to good food and wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining4funDined on 10/30/2014Gale's is a favorite of mine both for lunch and dinner. The staff is friendly and the fish is especially good as is the pasta. I also like the deserts.Special Features:
- Reliably GoodEileenRDined on 10/22/2014To be honest, my friend and I were so busy visiting with each other, we did not pay a lot of attention; but, as usual, the Rotini Bolognese was delicious and the green salad with parmesan was also very tasty. We had the usual, reliably good Gale's experience and would, of course, go back. againSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014Portions are extremely generous, great for sharing. Desserts are fresh and home made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/17/2014Nice menu, delicious food, good service in a lively and friendly environment and a great wine list. Best biscotti ever to complete the meal too. I've had lunch here many time, but tried it for dinner for the first time and was not disappointed. There were four of us, we each had something different, sea bass, ribeye, flat iron steak and lamb chops and everyone loved their meal.Special Features:
- Noisey ItalianNoiseDined on 10/17/2014Brick restaurants can be quaint but they're also noisey. We were seated in the 'quiet' area. It wasn't. When the food is only OK, it makes for a long and not-so-great evening. Service was good. Chicken parm was chicken tough. Linguini /clams was bland. Wine was fine.
- great food!lovegreatexperiencesDined on 10/16/2014We dine here often and always are pleased with the excellent food and service. We have never been disappointed, from the specials of the day to the amazing fresh fish. I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Food and Service !LouieDined on 10/15/2014Gale's is delicious Italian food with the feel of New York City. Intimate, warm, sophisticated ambiance with awesome service and amazing food. What a treasure here in Pasadena. Great for a special birthday with family, or a romantic dinner on a weekend, we love Gale's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pasta dish lacked in flavormaryDined on 10/15/2014I had the spaghetti with the marinara sauce and added clams and mussels. The sauce was just lacking. Big chunks of tomatoes and garlic might have added something to it since the sauce was bland and lacking texture. The Caesar salad was outstanding.
- Absolutely Wonderful!Jls16VIPDined on 10/12/2014We were a party of 6. Everyone ordered something different and everyone was very pleased with their choice. We will definitely go back to this restaurant again. The owner, Gale, was there and couldn't have been nicer or friendlier.
- A class act.MegaFoodie9Dined on 10/12/2014Gale's is one of my favorite go to's for gatherings. The food is fantastic and so is their wine list. (If you're a fan of red wine, I'd highly recommend the Mongrana Super Tuscan. Mmm!) The biggest reason I marked four stars instead of five -- noise level. I was entertaining a small group of colleagues for dinner, and we were practically shouting at each other. The other reason is because our server was distracted. He was moderately attentive and moderately nice, which I think is a problem when we're talking about customer service. Still, not all servers are created equal and not all dining experiences here are the same, so I would still give this restaurant two thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HueraDined on 10/10/2014Excellent service and very friendly. Will be going there again very soon. Seafood ravioli was the best. Just a bit too small for groups so very disappointed in that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/10/2014We always have a delicious Italian dinner with friendly service at Gales. We recommend reservations.Special Features:
- Better than everFoodieDined on 10/9/2014I would highly recommend Gales; for their food, fun, service and ambience. I have been going to Gales ever since they opened and it has never disappointed. I highly recommend sitting in the Bar area. It is quieter. For lunch I like to sit in the front, usually it is not as crowded. Not to be missed!Special Features:
- LunchalotDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful friendly service, delicious food. Gale's is a restaurant I return to time and time again.Special Features:
- Great authentic ItalianTLeeDined on 10/1/2014First time dining at Gale’s and not disappointed we’ve driven by Gale’s dozens of times, read many positive reviews and was recommended by friends. We plan to return to try other menu items.Special Features:
- FAB as usual!ValkyrienVIPDined on 9/30/2014Chef's tortelli was to die for, and we had seconds ! Yummy polenta appetizer and delish Caesar. My fav spot in town. Javier gave superb service and these birthday girls were delighted. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal in Town27altoidsDined on 9/30/2014Gale's has been a neighborhood staple for years and it is not hard to see why: everything on the menu is bursting with flavor, the staff are all engaged in their guests and the prices are more than fair. Our server, Alphonso, was terrific, making sure the seven of us were taken care of on a pretty populated Tuesday night. And Rene was the MVP of the evening - he's the owner's husband and is just about the coolest person you will ever meet. His attention to customer satisfaction is only rivaled by his sharp fashion sense, and he goes around talking to every guest he can meet. The food is outstanding, the staff are cordial beyond belief and the experience is one you must have if you're in town, whether you're just visiting or are a local.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantMimi2068Dined on 9/28/2014Had met Rene many years ago and was delighted to know he had opened a restaurant. For this occasion, a very dear friend and her husband were in town and staying in the Pasadena area. I wanted to take them some place that was not a chain restaurant. Everything was just great. Plus my friend's husband asked for a mushroom appetizer that was not listed on the menu and it was granted. Score one for the chef! We were a party of six and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no pointsakaboyDined on 9/26/2014my understanding there is no points for this reservation,so maybe im wasting my time doing this survey...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local gemhappyDined on 9/25/2014great Italian restaurant, Friendly,friendly staff including the owner who greeted me by name at the door in a very busy restaurant even though I had never met her (did have a reservation). wished I had a Gales in my neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good fooddrdrappDined on 9/21/2014The chicken parmesan and caesar salad was excellent. The cocoanut cake was to die forSpecial Features:
- Skip Old Town, Head to GaleslawcatDined on 9/20/2014There are numerous Italian restaurants in Old Town Pasadena, and I wish them no ill will, but for me and my family Gales is the clear choice when it comes to food, service and selection. Everything is fresh, they are happy to honor requests, the daily special list is long and not be missed. Its out of the bustle location affords a break from Old Town crowds and passe food. Reservations are highly recommended at prime times or tables of 3 or larger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceKAMGDined on 9/20/2014I had the beet salad and eggplant appetizer, both were wonderful. Everyone in our party really liked their meals. Full bar, fabulous server!! We will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014The back dining room is a bit hectic and seating is tight. Food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great waiterSwimMomDined on 9/17/2014The restaurant is a bit smaller than what we expected. The ambiance is good, not great. Our waiter is really friendly. The food is good and tasty. Price is right too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A WinnerJeffDined on 9/14/2014We've been to Gale's twice now and all the food we've ordered has been excellent. Clearly a place with repeat customers because we notice staff greeting customers personally. If we lived closer we'd go here much more often. Fresh pasta. Hand made ravioli and other stuffed items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typically GoodGrannyDined on 9/13/2014Always exceptional food, service great. Noise level is VERY HIGH! Not conducive to good conversation with old friend.Special Features:
- s2artrVIPDined on 9/6/2014We dined here for the first time before going to the Rose Bowl for UCLA Football game. Staff was most friendly and service could not have been better. Food was delicious. We will return.Special Features: