452 South Fair Oaks Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91105Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.galesrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6264326705
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Fausto Tinelli
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Gale's menu adapts well to both office and personal catering. Check with us to see how our personalized menus can be tailored for your next event.
A word from Gale's
Gale's Restaurant is a totally local spot. It offers remarkably solid Northern Italian fare just down the road from all the hubbub. Couples, families and friends that seem to have just finished a day outdoors snuggle among the brick walls and small marble tables, drinking wine from elegant Brighton goblets. Start it off with a Burrata Salad or a steamed artichoke and then move on to the country-style Tuscan steak or one of the house made ravioli specials. For dessert, don't miss the Tiramisu or the Coconut Cake which is uncommonly tasty. The wine list is a favorite among the guests for it's variety and excellent value.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Gale's - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
Gale's reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (109)fit for foodies (81)great for lunch (53)good for groups (52)special occasion (51)notable wine list (30)romantic (22)kid-friendly (18)hot spot (17)great for brunch (15)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (7)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Reliably GoodEileenRDined on 10/22/2014To be honest, my friend and I were so busy visiting with each other, we did not pay a lot of attention; but, as usual, the Rotini Bolognese was delicious and the green salad with parmesan was also very tasty. We had the usual, reliably good Gale's experience and would, of course, go back. againSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014Portions are extremely generous, great for sharing. Desserts are fresh and home made.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Nice menu, delicious food, good service in a lively and friendly environment and a great wine list. Best biscotti ever to complete the meal too. I've had lunch here many time, but tried it for dinner for the first time and was not disappointed. There were four of us, we each had something different, sea bass, ribeye, flat iron steak and lamb chops and everyone loved their meal.Special Features:
- Noisey ItalianNoiseDined on 10/17/2014Brick restaurants can be quaint but they're also noisey. We were seated in the 'quiet' area. It wasn't. When the food is only OK, it makes for a long and not-so-great evening. Service was good. Chicken parm was chicken tough. Linguini /clams was bland. Wine was fine.
- great food!lovegreatexperiencesDined on 10/16/2014We dine here often and always are pleased with the excellent food and service. We have never been disappointed, from the specials of the day to the amazing fresh fish. I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Food and Service !LouieDined on 10/15/2014Gale's is delicious Italian food with the feel of New York City. Intimate, warm, sophisticated ambiance with awesome service and amazing food. What a treasure here in Pasadena. Great for a special birthday with family, or a romantic dinner on a weekend, we love Gale's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pasta dish lacked in flavormaryDined on 10/15/2014I had the spaghetti with the marinara sauce and added clams and mussels. The sauce was just lacking. Big chunks of tomatoes and garlic might have added something to it since the sauce was bland and lacking texture. The Caesar salad was outstanding.
- Absolutely Wonderful!Jls16VIPDined on 10/12/2014We were a party of 6. Everyone ordered something different and everyone was very pleased with their choice. We will definitely go back to this restaurant again. The owner, Gale, was there and couldn't have been nicer or friendlier.
- A class act.MegaFoodie9Dined on 10/12/2014Gale's is one of my favorite go to's for gatherings. The food is fantastic and so is their wine list. (If you're a fan of red wine, I'd highly recommend the Mongrana Super Tuscan. Mmm!) The biggest reason I marked four stars instead of five -- noise level. I was entertaining a small group of colleagues for dinner, and we were practically shouting at each other. The other reason is because our server was distracted. He was moderately attentive and moderately nice, which I think is a problem when we're talking about customer service. Still, not all servers are created equal and not all dining experiences here are the same, so I would still give this restaurant two thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HueraDined on 10/10/2014Excellent service and very friendly. Will be going there again very soon. Seafood ravioli was the best. Just a bit too small for groups so very disappointed in that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/10/2014We always have a delicious Italian dinner with friendly service at Gales. We recommend reservations.Special Features:
- Better than everFoodieDined on 10/9/2014I would highly recommend Gales; for their food, fun, service and ambience. I have been going to Gales ever since they opened and it has never disappointed. I highly recommend sitting in the Bar area. It is quieter. For lunch I like to sit in the front, usually it is not as crowded. Not to be missed!Special Features:
- LunchalotDined on 10/3/2014Wonderful friendly service, delicious food. Gale's is a restaurant I return to time and time again.Special Features:
- Great authentic ItalianTLeeDined on 10/1/2014First time dining at Gale’s and not disappointed we’ve driven by Gale’s dozens of times, read many positive reviews and was recommended by friends. We plan to return to try other menu items.Special Features:
- FAB as usual!ValkyrienVIPDined on 9/30/2014Chef's tortelli was to die for, and we had seconds ! Yummy polenta appetizer and delish Caesar. My fav spot in town. Javier gave superb service and these birthday girls were delighted. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal in Town27altoidsDined on 9/30/2014Gale's has been a neighborhood staple for years and it is not hard to see why: everything on the menu is bursting with flavor, the staff are all engaged in their guests and the prices are more than fair. Our server, Alphonso, was terrific, making sure the seven of us were taken care of on a pretty populated Tuesday night. And Rene was the MVP of the evening - he's the owner's husband and is just about the coolest person you will ever meet. His attention to customer satisfaction is only rivaled by his sharp fashion sense, and he goes around talking to every guest he can meet. The food is outstanding, the staff are cordial beyond belief and the experience is one you must have if you're in town, whether you're just visiting or are a local.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantMimi2068Dined on 9/28/2014Had met Rene many years ago and was delighted to know he had opened a restaurant. For this occasion, a very dear friend and her husband were in town and staying in the Pasadena area. I wanted to take them some place that was not a chain restaurant. Everything was just great. Plus my friend's husband asked for a mushroom appetizer that was not listed on the menu and it was granted. Score one for the chef! We were a party of six and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- no pointsakaboyDined on 9/26/2014my understanding there is no points for this reservation,so maybe im wasting my time doing this survey...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local gemhappyDined on 9/25/2014great Italian restaurant, Friendly,friendly staff including the owner who greeted me by name at the door in a very busy restaurant even though I had never met her (did have a reservation). wished I had a Gales in my neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good fooddrdrappDined on 9/21/2014The chicken parmesan and caesar salad was excellent. The cocoanut cake was to die forSpecial Features:
- Skip Old Town, Head to GaleslawcatDined on 9/20/2014There are numerous Italian restaurants in Old Town Pasadena, and I wish them no ill will, but for me and my family Gales is the clear choice when it comes to food, service and selection. Everything is fresh, they are happy to honor requests, the daily special list is long and not be missed. Its out of the bustle location affords a break from Old Town crowds and passe food. Reservations are highly recommended at prime times or tables of 3 or larger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceKAMGDined on 9/20/2014I had the beet salad and eggplant appetizer, both were wonderful. Everyone in our party really liked their meals. Full bar, fabulous server!! We will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeatingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014The back dining room is a bit hectic and seating is tight. Food is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great waiterSwimMomDined on 9/17/2014The restaurant is a bit smaller than what we expected. The ambiance is good, not great. Our waiter is really friendly. The food is good and tasty. Price is right too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A WinnerJeffDined on 9/14/2014We've been to Gale's twice now and all the food we've ordered has been excellent. Clearly a place with repeat customers because we notice staff greeting customers personally. If we lived closer we'd go here much more often. Fresh pasta. Hand made ravioli and other stuffed items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typically GoodGrannyDined on 9/13/2014Always exceptional food, service great. Noise level is VERY HIGH! Not conducive to good conversation with old friend.Special Features:
- s2artrVIPDined on 9/6/2014We dined here for the first time before going to the Rose Bowl for UCLA Football game. Staff was most friendly and service could not have been better. Food was delicious. We will return.Special Features:
- Not the best First ImpressionFirstTimerDined on 9/6/2014Wanted to try something different since Buca de Beppo quality has been dropping-in my opinion... So I wanted to see this place since it scored high on yelp. I went for a birthday dinner. The food was hit or miss.. My dish was personally to salty with little else of flavor. Some of my companions thought the food was delicious. others thought it was ok. the olive oil and balsamic vinegar with bread was strong with taste. The waiter didn't get the order right but she was handling like several tables at once too. maybe we went to early(lunch) so the staffers probably come in later in the day. but she was always pleasant and smiling.. so i give her props for that.. but i might try it again..Special Features:
- Bumble Bee's Baja Grill, SantaFe NMOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014While in your area we had dinner at Gale's. The food was terrific and the service was attentive and friendly! Yes, we'll come again! Come visit us in Santa Fe for similar great food and attentive service! Bumble Bee Bob & BJ WeilSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FAB as usualValkyrienVIPDined on 9/3/2014Chef at Gale's never disappoints! We sat at the bar as it's always fun to hang out with Bill, and my dirty martini was exceptionally perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotGreatDined on 9/2/2014Loved our server and the food, will be coming backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Excellent food and service. Reservations are suggested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit and MissOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/30/2014Came here last week and I enjoyed the roasted vegetable pizza but, my wife's mushroom ravioli was too salty for her. Service was good.Special Features:
- Top Notch ServicepasadenaroseDined on 8/28/2014I've been to Gale's numerous times as I love the food. The staff remains the same, which to me is a very good sign. The host that greeted us was very friendly and accommodating, as were the two ladies that took our order and served our meal. I happily recommend this neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great valuewinendineDined on 8/23/2014This restaurant is an excellent value. Great Italian food! Large portion sizes. Pasta was perfectly cooked and the meat sauce was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big DisapointmentlookingtobearegularDined on 8/22/2014I went to Gale's with my 16 and 17 year old children.....looking forward to a nice family meal. It was way too noisy......we could not hear each other. Our waiter seemed impatient with us, did not offer suggestions and did not come by our table during our entire meal. No water refill offer nor additional glass of wine the entire meal. Food was marginal at best. I think even the oil and balsamic was off.
- Will come back every anytime!JayhollaDined on 8/21/2014The food was fabulous! The service fabulous! Everything about this gem is delightful. I love the at home atmosphere. The star of the night was Raul! What a kind man with a wonderful personality! I almost caught myself calling him " Uncle Raul!"! My family and I will come back just to be served by him (and of course the food)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!GFAFoodDined on 8/21/2014We have been dining at Gales for years. The pasta al forno is a family favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodmaryslightDined on 8/21/2014I love the Poached Salmon Salad they serve as a Lunch special. It is so fresh and tasty!Special Features:
- consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/17/2014We have gone to Gale's for many years now, and its service and good are consistently good, very good. It is our go to spot for really good, not fancy or contrived, Italian food. The specials keep changing so there is always variety and something new to try. The waiters are attentive, the space is bustling without being loud. It is our favorite restaurant in PasadenaSpecial Features: