827 Santa Cruz Avenue
Menlo Park, CA 94025Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bistrogalata.com/
- Phone: 650-325-7900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Cumhur Ulas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Galata Bistro
Galata Bistro is located in Menlo Park.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Galata Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (9)neighborhood gem (8)kid-friendly (5)good for groups (5)fit for foodies (5)great for outdoor dining (4)great for brunch (3)special occasion (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Salads are goodFridayNiteDinnersVIPDined on 7/18/2014We ate here for lunch so only had the salads, which were prepared well, not overdressed and very tasty. Would like to come again for dinner to try out the entrees more fully.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpaghettioDined on 6/25/2014Food was great. service was questionable it was slow and the waiter was busy else where- brought ckeck before dessert ws served? Fod s definate worth a secod shot.Special Features:
- Pretty good experienceDianeT1VIPDined on 6/20/2014For a quick meal that is pretty good in town I would recommend the kabobs at Galata Bistro. The service was quick and friendly and the food was good.Special Features:
- Very nice lunchHKPhooeyVIPDined on 6/17/2014Four of us met here for lunch last week. The food was great, service was prompt and pleasant. Will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now our weekly regular spotSquashplyrVIPDined on 6/16/2014We come here once a week to get our dose of lamb kebab! Needless to say, we love the food and the ambience is good too.Special Features:
- Mediterranean done rightMLSrealityDined on 5/27/2014Never a dry falafel here. And reasonably priced wine. Wonderful to sit outside and watch Menlo Park drift by.Special Features:
- Excellent Mediterranean foodJacksonDined on 5/15/2014We tried a variety of items in the menu -- imam bayildi, falafell plate, cold mezes, grilled vegetables, Turkish salad and loved them all. Everything was freshly made and delicious. We tried kunefe for dessert and it was out of worldly delicious. We ordered a second serving. Galata is the best place to go if you like healthy freshly made Mediterranean food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2014The food was not as outstanding as I had hoped it would be. It was alright. My dish, Lavash Kebab, had a strange taste to it and the Tzatziki did not have your expected taste or texture. Service was fine.Special Features:
- The following 182 reviews are from the Galata Bistro reviews archive.
- Galata BistroyvonnecapVIPDined on 4/25/2014I stumbled upon Galata Bistro while desperately seeking a lunch spot in Menlo Park to meet up with a friend. The restaurant was fairly uncrowded for 12:30p (which I liked) and the service was prompt to seat and serve us when we arrived. The food here is nice and simple, salads and sandwiches mixed with Mediterranean kebabs and wraps. Very reasonably priced and fast if you're in for a quick lunch break.Special Features:
- Galata Bistro is a nice choiceEDWARDVIPDined on 3/19/2014Galata Bistro is a nice choice for a very good lunch with attentive service. The restaurant is seldom crowded so it is easy to have good conversation while enjoying one's meal. The salmon salad that I ordered was particularly tasty although my friend also enjoyed the salad of her choice. While nothing fancy, Galata Bistro is convenient and satisfying when one is looking for a meal in downtown Menlo Park.Special Features:
- tasty biteswendeeVIPDined on 3/15/2014It was a quiet Saturday night at Galata. The reviews I read were sort of ho-hum regarding service. My husband wanted the moussaka, but they were out of it. They suggested a meat dish and then he ordered a side of grilled vegetables, which were all green and red peppers (he does not like peppers). We had the hot appetizer plate, which was quite tasty, and I had the goat cheese salad. My daughter ordered the pomegranate shish kabob. But the service was indeed lacking. The table next to us was served bread. We had to ask for bread. Our food came out at the same time as theirs, but they sat down about 10 minutes after us. They were very slow to come to our table to take our order. So food was good, but service could have been more attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Had pomergraniteMJParkVIPDined on 3/10/2014Great food. Had pomergranite and lavash kabab--both superb.
- Our regular spot for Lamb Kebabs!SquashplyrVIPDined on 3/3/2014Love the Lamb Kebab here. Everything else that comes with it (rice, salad, hummus) is great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was delicious!dorothybelleDined on 2/26/2014Every dish was seasoned perfectly, interesting but never overwhelming or confusing flavors.Special Features:
- We've had both lunch and dinnerdsfnsfVIPDined on 2/23/2014We've had both lunch and dinner here. On both occasions the food was quite good.....delicious combinations, well seasoned with interesting spices, nicely presented. While the ambiance is not formal or fancy (no table cloths or special table settings), the dining room is pleasant and appealing. The only hesitation here is the service. Our young server was just OK, not very friendly or helpful but not truly bad. As I said, he was OK. You'd probably prefer this place for lunch. While the food is the same, it doesn't quite have the nicer dining ambiance we prefer for dinner.Special Features:
- Delicious food with great serviceconsultcjsDined on 2/15/2014This was my fourth visit here an each time I have been very pleased. The food is seasoned so deliciously and the service is great. My husband has some food allergies and they were very accommodating and willing to make substitutions.Special Features:
- Taste of TurkeyPaulieDined on 2/14/2014We ate at Galata Bistro on a busy evening (Valentine's Day). Every table was taken, but we were seated on time per our reservation (7 PM). The service was a bit slow, as might be expected on a busy night, but the wait-staff was friendly and accommodating despite seeming a tad harried. The Maitre D' is a young man from Turkey who took some time with us when things calmed down a bit. We talked about our time in Turkey and how nice it was to find good Turkish food locally. I had the Mousaka, which was wonderful, while my wife had the falafel which was very tasty. We liked the decor with a nice mural of Galata Tower on one wall and photos of Istanbul on another. The fact that we could talk to each other without yelling was a big plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodMichaelDined on 2/14/2014The staff was nice, even if they got our order wrong (it worked out in our favor and they comped the extra food, so I won't complain). The food was good, but not special. The baba ganoush was a bit burned. A fine Turkish establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKBritinUSADined on 12/21/2013Went because of the reviews, but sadly we won't be going back. Bread came to the table that was stale and couldn't be chewed never mine eaten. The fried zucchini was swimming in grease and tasted of burnt oil. Service was rushed and we were asked twice what we wanted while we were still looking at the menus. The place was barely 1/3rd full so why the rush. Skip this place and try a different one.
- Great food!emc2Dined on 12/20/2013Tried Galata Bistro for the first time with a group of 10. We ordered to appetizer plates and each had an entree. Everyone enjoyed their food. I had the chicken kabob and they were delicious. The salad served with it was also quite good. Our service was a little slow, but there was also another group of 20 or so. They did accommodate me bringing wine (very low corkage fee), including a magnum of champagne, with different wine glasses. I would recommend this restaurant and will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediterranean a la TurkJimboDined on 12/14/2013This is a good place for a decent meal, especially on the spur of the moment. Not a particularly exotic menu, but satisfying shish plates with a few Turkish options. Will go back and try other menu items over the next few months. Priced right,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch spot in Downtown MenloHappyVIPDined on 12/10/2013what a nice addition to Santa Cruz Avenue. I enjoyed a tasty lunch of skewered chicken in the updated restaurant with my friends. The service was excellent, very friendly and helpful. The food was very good, well priced and plentiful.Special Features:
- Mediocre First ImpressionrdegoliaVIPDined on 12/4/2013decent service but the food that I had (a mixed veggie plate with different sauces) wasn't very interesting
- Wonderful local Turkish foodconsultcjsDined on 12/3/2013Both times I have been here the food has been delicious and plentiful. The waitress was very accommodating of wanting tonsustitute a salad for rice. It is quiet so so can actually talk to the person you are dining with.Special Features:
- Our friends like it too!WenInMenloDined on 11/23/2013Brought our elderly couple friends to Bistro Galata for our quarterly get together. They both love it! We both tried the "Dinner for Two" and shared our appetizers. There was plenty of good and we went home warm and happy on a cold autumn evening. Our waiter was friendly and attentive. I recommend trying the Turkish Yakut red wine with their garlic hummus. Always hit the perfect harmony on my palate.Special Features:
- Delicious kabobs and more...KnowsHowtoTravelDined on 11/2/2013Tried Galata for the first time. I believe they opened in Feb'2013. Excellent kabobs! The lamb was not gamey at all. Recommended even for people who don't usually like lamb. The chicken and steak were also very tasty. But the biggest surprise was the ground beef and lamb - OMG! The seasoning is so delicious. That's what I'll order next time. We went with another couple and we both got their combination platter, which included 3 appetizers along with the kabobs. Very generous portions. Loved the tsaziki, yogurt/garlic/dill sauce, and put it on everything. I don't like tabbouli at all - usually tastes like cardboard and herbal grass to me. But Galata's tabbouli is different and delicious! Really, the recipes and cooking here are exceptional!Special Features:
- great spinach salad!Maggie14Dined on 10/20/2013I love the spinach salad with salmon; delicious and healthy!Special Features:
- Yum!MenloGalVIPDined on 10/18/2013I went to Galata, on a Friday night, after a long absence; I was not disappointed! I was pleased to see the restaurant was packed. We were seated quickly and had friendly, attentive service. I ordered the falafel plate and my companion ordered the chicken kebab, both delicious. The chicken was tender and flavorful and the falafel was crispy perfection. Both came beautifully arranged with a small salad and a serving of tender, flavorful rice. We did not enjoy desert, but will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunchViewstravelerDined on 10/16/2013Our group had a reservation for noon, so parking behind the restaurant in busy Menlo Park was a plus. Not busy but should have been. We tried the kabobs and a wrap--delicious.The chicken was particularly flavorful. Served with yoghurt, salad, fragrant rice and hummus, there was enough to take home, too. We also tried 3 desserts-the baklava (ok), that saffron/pistachio ice cream (creamy and unusual) and the third had a name I can't pronounce, with cream cheese, pistachio and sweet syrup. No dessert remained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Turkish dinnerBirdVIPDined on 10/15/2013Elderly parent and I -- both well-traveled-- had wonderful shish kebab-- chicken and lamb respectively, delicate seasoning perfectly cooked; very hospitable owner-host. Best since travel to Istanbul--- and better than other Peninsula Turkish restaurants we have sampled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy We Tried It!GreatfoodDined on 9/21/2013My wife and I dined here for our "date night". We live in Menlo Park so we wanted to eat local. We are so glad we did. Great food, prompt service and reasonalble prices. Those are the three things I care about and this restaurant delivered. We will be returning for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice food for a decent pricesaskiaVIPDined on 9/7/2013Its great persian style food: lots of olive oil and great kebabs. Staff is not super friendly or welcoming though. Slow with offering drinks and they hardly check in on you. They did give us 4 forks though for the baklava we ordered and the baklava was really good. Good food for a decent price, not suitable for a long night out
- Yummy BoregiGypsyDined on 8/17/2013In addition to the boregi, we had the chicken kebab--very good--with good hummus, rice and salad. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was terrible despiteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2013The service was terrible despite that fact that the place was almost empty. This is my second time at the restaurant and the first visit lacked in the service area. The restaurant is pretty and the food is well above average and the prices are fair but the service is terrible.Special Features:
- Great Mediteranean Food In Menlo PaMattVIPDined on 8/3/2013What a great find in Menlo Park. Great food nice atmosphere reasonably priced and over the top friendly service. Support this fine establishment so that they may become a mainstay in Menlo Park.Special Features:
- Very good food in a pleasant,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/9/2013Very good food in a pleasant, family-run setting. The decor is attractive. The chicken shish kebab is especially fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lots of veggie optionsajbsDined on 6/10/2013selection of vegetarian appetizers were great (and the ones I tried were yummy), and there were some veggie entrees as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken KabobsstansfieldVIPDined on 6/3/2013The food was excellent; the chicken kabobs are always moist and tender. The owner is always there with a smile on his face and the staff is just as pleasant. It’s a must for a Mediterranean dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night dinner findnixiannDined on 5/31/2013Busy but still quiet, nicely appointed low key place. Very good lamb dishes. would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Wonderful place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/11/2013Best kebabs in forever, not dry or overcooked. The cold appetizer sampler plate has some wonderful items on it and all are good. Everything we tried was very good and we will definitely go back. The staff was fabulous, particularly with the three year old at our table. She was thrilled to be invited to carry the check to the register and bring it back to our table. Other personal touches during and after the meal were enough to convince us we need to become regulars at this wonderful little eatery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.