Gala Steakhouse and Bistro
222 Adams Road
Williamstown, MA 01267Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
Gala Steakhouse and Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.galarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4134589590x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Weekdays: 7:00am - 10:30am; Saturday and Sunday 7:00am- 11:00pm; Lunch Wednesday through Saturday 11:30am - 2:30pm; Sunday Brunch: 11:00am- 2:30pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 9:00pm. Menu served until 10:00pm on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Bill Sheridan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer both onsite and off premise catering for any function. Contact our Director of Sales and Catering, Janell LaFleche, at 413-458-9611 ext. 506 for more information.
A word from Gala Steakhouse and Bistro
Gala Steakhouse and Bistro is warm & inviting restaurant located inside The Orchards Hotel in lovely Williamstown Massachusetts in the heart of The Berkshires. With it’s not often found blend of classic and contemporary cuisine Gala offers something for everyone. Since becoming Gala in 2006 the restaurant has been reinvented to provide an experience not easily rivaled. Gala boasts an elegant dining room with breathtaking views of it’s adjacent courtyard. The menu, created by Executive Chef Bill Sheridan, satisfies both the casual and formal diner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Gala Steakhouse and Bistro - Best Restaurants in Williamstown ›
Gala Steakhouse and Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (16)special occasion (13)romantic (11)fit for foodies (10)neighborhood gem (8)great for lunch (8)scenic view (8)great for brunch (7)good for groups (4)notable wine list (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- 3 in a row!DoctorJCVIPDined on 8/16/2014This was our third visit to Gala and hasn't changed a bit. That is to say, I have had different selections every time and all have been excellent. This time I had fresh, never frozen (according to the staff) Alaskan halibut which was flown in that morning. It was as delicious as the halibut I had ate in Anchorage. This visit, there were four of us rather than just my wife and me. Everyone raved about their choices. Our waiter, Sasha, was his usual sparkling self. We ate out in the patio where it was quiet and lovely. On a good weather day, there is no place I'd rather be for dinner.Special Features:
- DisappointmentBabsDined on 8/6/2014Calamari was tasteless. Probably frozen first. Scallops were salty.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/6/2014We had a lovely dinner seated on the outside patio. Food and service were very good.Special Features:
- Another great mealmichaelcharlesphelpsDined on 8/6/2014I once again was impressed with the service, cuisine, and beverages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoroughly satisfyingmichaelcharlesphelpsDined on 8/4/2014The bartender was attentive and a master of his craft. The food stood out as well prepared and almost artfully assembled. Gala is not a bargain; it is a place where you get what you pay for when you accept that you deserve quality. I come here at least once every time I am in the Berkshires.Special Features:
- babyVIPDined on 8/2/2014good service and food alone with a nice ambiance made for a pleasant eveningSpecial Features:
- ShowRizDined on 8/2/2014If the word "steakhouse" is in the restaurant's name then one would expect exceptional meat. Not the case here. Basically, it;s a restaurant attached to inn and you know what the quality of those places tend to be. (Exceptions though there may be)
- Food good but service fairD1672Dined on 7/30/2014This was our second visit to Gala in 2 wks. for lunch. The food is good although a tad over-priced. The salmon dish was the best while the Caesar salad with chicken and grilled turkey sandwich were good but not outstanding. We were served drinks and lunch promptly but when my friend asked for bread the server said she could offer a piece of bread but only hot rolls are served at night. She then brought our check and never asked if we wanted coffee or dessert. My friend asked for dessert menu but the server returned stating the "substitute chef" did not have desserts for lunch but she could serve ice cream. Although friendly and apologetic, neither she or the restaurant was providing good service. May return but not soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerribleHobomomVIPDined on 7/29/2014Tried this place again after a bad attempt a year ago. Tomatoes were not ripe and mozzarella tasted like plastic for the caprese salad. Chicken was dry as sawdust. Fish and chips were excellent though. A good place for cocktails but I would skip dinner for sure.
- Beautiful brunchImpressionsDined on 7/27/2014Great birthday celebration at Gala. Look forward to going back for brunch.Special Features:
- SavvyMomDined on 7/27/2014Great Breakfast on the beautiful patio. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre dinnerGulliverDined on 7/26/2014Nice room, spacious with plenty if space between tables. Service was excellent. Server understood that we were in a bit of a rush due to 8 pm theatre tickets. They did a great job accommodating this requirement. The food was excellent. Also nice cocktails and wine. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Jewel outside WilliamstownDoctorJCVIPDined on 7/26/2014We have eaten here twice. The outdoor patio is a remarkable setting for a dinner or drinks. This time, we ate indoors due to a storm threat that never materialized. The dining room presented very much of a high end bistro atmosphere with views of the outdoor patio. The lamb carpaccio, and Caesar salad appetizers were excellent. The rib-eye with a red wine reduction, hangar steak with wild mushroom cream sauce, and the chicken Statler were all cooked as desired. We accompanied the meal with a good bottle of Montepulciano D'Abruzzo that was reasonably priced. No room for desert this time. This is a terrific place for pre- or post-Williamstown Theater presentations, and it is only 1 mile outside of town.Special Features:
- Not our expectationCharDined on 7/24/2014We were disappointed with the slow service. Advising against the gnocchi small plate: the meat was dry and the gnocchi not evenly cooked. However, the pork chop meal was excellent.
- FoodJerryDined on 7/24/2014The food here was fantastic , wait staff very knowledgable ,friendly and unobtrusive Highly recommend. Excellent dinner opera unity for prior to Williamstown TheaterSpecial Features:
- GranMimDined on 7/19/2014I had tried to eat at this restaurant a few years ago, and was put off by the stiff and unfriendly welcome from the staff. My experience this time was totally different. The staff were super accommodating to a woman alone, seating me at a nice window table, and being very helpful and responsive. The caprese salad that i ordered was among the best I've ever tasted (and I order it often), and the salmon dinner was lovely, though the potatoes in the salad were a bit undercooked, to my taste. All in all, it was a satisfying dinner, and I am likely to return when I come back to Williamstown.Special Features:
- Nice surpriseVtt5Dined on 7/17/2014Dining with my mother in law the night before I was to pick up my child from camp we were too tired to decide where to eat. The hotels restaurant turned out to be a pleasant surprise & dinner was great. Sasha, our waiter, was truly wonderful. We enjoyed each course & were not rushed at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and Lovely GardencjbenjVIPDined on 7/17/2014Four of us had a very good pre-theater dinner on a lovely patio overlooking an outstanding garden. The staff who had warmly welcomed us to the restaurant had suggested the garden and to our delight it was a perfect setting. We had quiet conversation, the menu selections were varied and tasty and the service was attentive. The restaurant is located in a beautiful inn so if you are in the area, consider staying there.Special Features:
- Not up to parartnfoodfanDined on 7/12/2014Most of the restaurant looked very romantic with lovely old fashioned ambiance and exceptional garden. But our table was located in a corner that faced a peeling half wall, an in-use exit door.. and if I turned around...a parking lot. The carpet had ruts..it was dangerous walking. Most food came out looking beautiful, but, the taste did not live up to the presentation. Upset with the garlic-onion steak sauce, which was just a glob of butter. One filet came out well done and had to be returned twice. The mushroom soup was extremely bland. The wedge was sub par and ordinary. The French fries, string beans, and appletini were very good. Main course took a very long time to be served. Ordinary steaks, especially for the elevated prices.Special Features:
- Careful of your timeCitymargotDined on 7/12/2014This restaurant has many good qualities and we plan to return. It is convenient for pre Williamstown Theater. The food was generally tasty and the staff pleasant. BUT the kitchen could not quite handle the number of orders before the theater. We started to get uneasy, but the entree did arrive - we ate, paid the bill and left. No time for coffee or dessert. And one more thing, the iceberg wedge is just an iceberg wedge, with a smudge of some sort of sauce to the side. Who eats just iceberg lettuce?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful48BRVIPDined on 7/12/2014Waitstaff was clueless and unattentive. Every single item that two of us ordered came out wrong. We were left in the boiling hot sun, after being told our table would turn shady in a few minutes as the sun moved. We waited more than 75 minutes to be served. Finally had to talk to the manager, who comped our meal. Do not go!!
- Top NotchDWGARGGDined on 7/10/2014Wonderful food, great service, beautiful garden. We had 2 beautifully and tastefully prepared breakfasts and a dinner.Special Features:
- Decent but unexceptionalEWJADined on 7/5/2014My wife and I dined at Gala Steakhouse last weekend, our first time there. The cheese plate starter was excellent, though perhaps more than 2 people needed as a starter unless you want to eat a lot of cheese. My rib-eye steak, however, lacked much flavor and the added sauce didn't help much. My wife's seared scallops were slightly too seared, imparting a bitter taste. The mashed potatoes were very tasty with a good texture, but the vegetables, snap peas, were a little stringy (my wife liked the peas once she removed them from their thick enclosure). Several nearby tables seemed to have service issues (esp. with drinks) though our server was friendly and efficient. Our wines were good with generous pours and very reasonable prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dining experience; loved itfinediningfanDined on 6/18/2014Sasha was friendly, helpful, and gave special recommendations and thoughts on the dishes. The food was beautifully presented, perfectly prepared. Dining on the patio was lovely, but sitting inside was cozy too; I like the special touches, like the cute frog salt and pepper shakers on my table. Breakfast, I tried the divine brioche French toast with real maple syrup, and delicious cinnamon raisin oatmeal, and dinner, the wonderfully, lightly prepared fish & chips, salads, and melt in your mouth gnocchi. The chocolate mousse dessert was delectable as was the homemade, warm bread! The service is attentive and caring. There is a selection of variously priced dishes, ranging from lower to higher; hope to be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeBrandonDined on 6/16/2014It was the first time I ever went to gala, we felt a little underdressed but that was ok, it was a very nice restaurant with plenty of seating, I doubt on their busy nights they won't be able to seat anyone relatively soon. We went on a quiet night, we were the only two in the room. Our food came fast and it was amazing, I was. Thinking I would spend $200 but we didn't spend that, we came close after the tip. But it was worth it. It was a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- touristDined on 6/15/2014this is an expensive restaurant. chairs have cigarette burns, carpet is coming up. very worn around the edges. food was very average but not for a place like this. we were there for my bithday 2 years ago and it has reached a much diminished level to food and decor. time to redo the dining room and not hide behind "sgteak house" to serve very ordinary food.
- ReliableButta1Dined on 6/8/2014In an area with a dearth of nice dining, this restaurant is reliable for above average dining. Fine dining, such as it is in this area with only one real competitor. Always pleasedSpecial Features:
- Pricey But Very Good SteakhousekwixDined on 6/7/2014I was late booking graduation weekend dinner, so I took a chance. I was pleasantly surprised. This is a steakhouse that is trying to move up in the world. But they do overcharge a bit for what they deliver. They sat our party of 8 at a comfortable round table. The place has an understated clubby linen tablecloth and damask curtain vibe that seems classy, not old-fashioned. A bit noisy. The service was impeccable -- except that our waitresses disappeared for a while during the dessert-and-coffee phase. The menu and wine list are thoughtful, high-end. The thing they do best here is steak, and there are a variety of interesting sauces. They were happily able to accommodate this celiac's gluten-free diet. I would return.Special Features:
- Disappointing dinnerlitravelerVIPDined on 5/25/2014We have not eaten here in a while but got to the hotel late so figured we would just eat dinner in the hotel restaurant. To start, the waitress did not know the menu. She was very sweet but clueless. The food was fair at best. Too bad, I have memories of good dinners here.
- TraditiontownieloveDined on 5/22/2014Dining at Gala has become a tradition for our family celebrations. Recently we took our daughter and son in law here for her birthday and their third anniversary. Service was outstanding (as usual) and the food....absolutely delicious!!! We let it slip that it was her birthday and she was treated to a plate with Happy birthday written in chocolate, a dish of whipped cream w/candle and enough salted chocolates for all! Outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 112 reviews are from the Gala Steakhouse and Bistro reviews archive.
- Birthday DinnerKellyDined on 3/29/2014I attended a birthday dinner here. Excellent food and service as always.Special Features:
- The food was fabulous - loveUrskaterVIPDined on 3/22/2014The food was fabulous - love the different sauces offered with the steaks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lot of bang for your bucksadiemaeDined on 3/16/2014We were guests of the hotel attatched to the restaurant and we were treated like kings. We each got a 3-course meal in addition to two smaller courses compliments of the chef; all of which were out of this world delicious. Unique food parings and a comfortable yet elegant atmosphere made this a night to remember. I recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting the area. The food is a little pricey, if you are staying in the Orchards hotel, I highly recommend the dining package you can add to your reservations- it was well worth the money and you can use it for any item(s) on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had an excellent dinning experienceLov4foodDined on 3/13/2014Had an excellent dinning experience! Would love to come back again and try other dishes that sounded extremely unique. I loved how you could taste every ingredient and all complemented each other extremely well. Had an excellent waiter Sasha; big pat on the back to him, from bringing chocolate covered strawberries to our room to himself and another waiter taking time to find a sulfite free wine during dinner. The key thing is they looked happy to do it, which makes your dinning experience even better. We will definitely be back next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oversll it was not abad experience.AnandDined on 3/1/2014Oversll it was not abad experience. Posting that the restaurants entrance is not on Adams drive would be helpful. The waitress seemed a bit judgemental for whatever reason and the steak did not taste like the ambiance or the bill of the establishment. My satisfaction was with the wine list and the setting of the restaurant. It was fun but romantic and beautiful. A better trained staff and better cuts of finer meats would improve this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will enjoy GalaIITravelersDined on 2/25/2014Gala is the perfect combination of fun and fancy. We have dined here a number of times at different times of the year and have NEVER been disappointed with the service or the food. We are always made to feel like we are the most important guests they have ever served. We have met the Chef on a number of visits who will visit with you as if he has nothing else to do. Which judging by the food is not true. The plates look like pictures and the food is done exactly to your liking. We have tried everything on the menu and have found nothing lacking. So if you want to treat yourselves go to Gala you will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/1/2014I came in here on a ski strip with my family and I had an exceptional meal. The freshest ingredients, perfectly prepared. The service was phenomenal, the staff was so friendly to my kids and the atmosphere next to the fire was fabulous. We'll be back every time we're in the Berkshires. Worth every penny!Special Features:
- The best of Williamstown!vogelitoDined on 12/24/2013Had a delightful Christmas Eve dinner here. The food is outstanding, the staff very cheerful and accommodating, and the atmosphere very pleasant. Gala is on the top of our list for a great dining experience in Williamstown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThanksgivingOutofTownerDined on 11/28/2013We ate here for Thanksgiving. The food overall was very good. I elected to go for the Berkshire pork chop, served with a maple-glazed Pork Belly in a corn chowder. All were quite well prepared, although the pork chop was a tad overcooked, but nothing serious. However, the pork belly and the corn chowder were sublime. My partner had a traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinner with all the trimmings; I sampled it and it was quite good as well. And the service was exceptional.Special Features:
- Thanksgiving dinner--lovely,OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 11/28/2013Thanksgiving dinner--lovely, refined setting with enough space to allow nice conversation and privacy. Prix-fixe menu: first course--all boded well for lovely dinner. Move to entree: chose traditional Thanksgiving dinner "with all the fixings"--all parts of the entree were uniformly tasteless and salt did little to improve--all took home leftovers but had little interest in repeating experience. Next act: dessert--self-serve dessert table--unattractive and many appeared to be "Sysco creations"---individually cut servings on separate plates would've allowed patrons to escape awkwardness of cutting pieces of pie that fell apart while others were awaiting their turns. This could have been an experience that might have set a tradition.