138 North Royal Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gadsbystavernrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (703) 548-1288
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Prime Rib
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 703-548-1288x
A word from Gadsby's Tavern
Gadsby's Tavern has been offering fine dining since 1770. Enjoy lunch and dinner in one of the elegant Colonial dining rooms. The one-of-a-kind Gadsby's Tavern experience awaits you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gadsby's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (65)neighborhood gem (54)romantic (49)fit for foodies (23)good for groups (21)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (14)scenic view (7)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (4)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great foodJustmeDined on 6/24/2014If they servers the quality of food since Washington's time with the great service. They should then keep up the great work. Don't miss your chance for great food by candle light.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyDanJerDined on 6/23/2014The places knows its niche - very nice and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinning, wonderful evening!PartyLike1779Dined on 6/22/2014Dinning at Gadsby's is a treat when I meet family and friends in Alexandria. The food is always good (great for the price) and the unique atmosphere is a nice change of pace from standard restaurants. On this particular evening I arrived early with my family and decided to have drinks in the courtyard while waiting for our other guests. It was such a beautiful night we had our meal outside too (a rare treat when days are usually much hotter). The wine, food, service, and company were all excellent and our whole party felt right at home! Kudos to all the staff for treating us very "Presidential" and making our dinning experience one to remember!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014I expected more, plus I noted that is was a special event. 40th wedding anniversary for my Parents and did not even receive a congratulations.
- brunch at Gadspy'sNJSdiningDined on 6/22/2014we were looking for something to do on a Sunday morning and found Gadsby's Tavern on the Opentable website and thought we would give it a try. we like the old historic taverns and we were not disappointed. the food and service were great, the price was reasonable and the historic details were very interesting, had a Williamsburg charm to it. we will definately be going back again an hopefully this time we can take in the museum.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a toursity thangLokeDined on 6/22/2014Food is good. I love their Sunday brunch and make a point of heading over then after church. Great value and great taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gadsby ApprovedGreatGadsbyDined on 6/21/2014I have been waiting for years to eat at my family's namesake Tavern. Wish we could have been here sooner. One word....... Unbelievable! Highly recommended. Be sure to take the time to visit the museum next door. If you visit the museum first, you will get a lot more out of your meal with regard understanding who all ate and stayed at the tavern. Pretty amazing to dine where some of our Founding Fathers sat and ate. For lunch, I insist you try the John Gadsby burger. You will not regret it. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic placedbullDined on 6/20/2014Had dinner with my son, loved the historic feel of the place. The food was great, service was outstanding. Also tried some local beers and a beer that was Thomas Jefferson's recipe. Would love to eat hear again.Special Features:
- Nice little historical spot to eatcmsLovesFoodDined on 6/18/2014The restaurant is quaint and has a historic feel. Not many people during lunch on a Wednesday and the service was just fair. Pewter plates were removed from the table when our meals were served on plain old restaurant plates; not sure what the point of the pewter plates were if they didn't even use them as a charger. I had the peanut soup and roast beef sandwich - both were tasty. Second party member had a grilled chicken sandwich that she said was good. Third party member had the wedge salad that had no presentation - was missing items stated on the menu; not very appetizing looking for a wedge of salad. This was my second visit to this restaurant and I would bring out of town visitors again due to the historic aspect.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great visit!VisitingDinerDined on 6/17/2014We had a larger group and, through good fortune, ended up arriving very early for our reservation. The staff was incredibly gracious and accommodating. The excellent food was the icing on an already terrific cake. I would definitely take guests here again.Special Features:
- Great food, great atmospherePATRAVELERDined on 6/16/2014Our first visit to Gadsby's Tavern was May 2014 for our sons rehearsal dinner. Everything was perfect! The atmosphere was vibrant on a Friday night. The following month, my husband had a conference in the area and we decided to go to Gadsby's for dinner. Both our meals were fabulous. He had crab cakes and I had the filet mignon with mashed potatoes and asparagus. Everything was cooked to perfection. We will definitely return when we are in the area again.Special Features:
- Cool place bad foodcyh111Dined on 6/15/2014The place is historical and the servers even dress up as people from the 1700's. We were so excited. But when we got our food, it was horrible. So not worth any price.Special Features:
- KathVIPDined on 6/14/2014Talk about bringing back good memories Gadsby's does it for me. Eighteen years ago I visited this restaurant with friends while in DC for a meeting and loved the food and the ambiance so much that when my husband and I decided to visit Old Town Alexandria this year I had to visit this place again. From the appetizers to the desserts everything was perfectly prepared. We enjoyed the fried oysters and wedge salad for starters and had the prime rib and lobster, crab, and shrimp risotto entrees. The service was impeccable and the staff was very accommodating The old colonial charm of the establishment intrigued us and took us back to another time. We highly recommend this restaurant and plan to return whenever possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colonial DaysMarkVIPDined on 6/14/2014Atmosphere is wonderfully colonial. They offer colonial style dinners that offers a taste of the past.Special Features:
- HistorianlovestoeatDined on 6/14/2014We've been going to Gadsby's for thirty years, and I marvel at the presence of John Hall, staff and the great food which is makes it a superb environment!Special Features:
- Taste AlexandreaMTHREHDined on 6/13/2014This little find was Amazing. One block off of King to North, take the tour of Gadsby's Tavern/ Hotel first to set the stage for your meal. Much history of Alexandrea is related to this local tavern/ restaurant. The food was reasonable in price and excellent in taste ( best burgers my kids had while on Vacation) I had the crab cakes which were also excellent.Special Features:
- History with your DinnersunsetdonVIPDined on 6/6/2014This interesting restaurant is actually an original tavern from 1770. It was a favorite of George Washington and Patrick Henry and Washington celebrated many birthdays here. It's very authentic and even has a small museum adjoining the tavern. But I bet Washington and his crowd did not feast on food and wine as good as we had. The wine selection, although small, is very good. And the food was also very good. I had roast beef; she had the jumbo crab cakes. I highly recommend you visit this restaurant. You can find better food in Old Town Alexandria, but it won't have the history to go with it.Special Features:
- Great Historic VenueAMarksDined on 5/29/2014There were many reasons we enjoyed this restaurant. The 18th century early American architecture along with elegantly prepared food made the night pleasurable. Our group had a great time laughing and enjoying the unique food and setting. We had an entire room to ourselves on the Thursday night that we went. Knowing that George Washington and Thomas Jefferson both frequented Gadsby's Tavern made the experience that much more special.Special Features:
- Went for the costumes..MousheleDined on 5/29/2014.... But ended up with an inattentive waiter and no costume. Would have rated service lower but waiter from neighboring table made a valiant attempt to both fill in and try to get our waiter to do his job.Special Features:
- Historical dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014We found this restaurant through a reccomendation from a friend who was there before. He said the food was excellent . It was. I had lamb chops that were to die for. Also the service was very good. You could also go to the museum they have which featured things from the 1700's because George Washington stayed there and gave his last military review there also .Special Features:
- Gadsby's TavernQuincyVIPDined on 5/23/2014Very good food - charming and quaint atmosphere Actor who portrayed John Douglas Hall was enjoyable and Made our evening. He made our anniversary even more special by Singing a special song just to us - brought tears to my eyes. Our only complaint was lack of personality of our waitress. Was very cold and only offered us coffee after we had dessert. Would definitely go back and recommend it to others.Special Features:
- Not What I ExpectedFantasticDined on 5/18/2014We had two referrals for Gadsby's Tavern and wanted to give it a try. We had family in from out of town and thought it would be educational and a nice meal. You could tell the floor was old, older table and chairs, servers were in kindof a costume. Nothing on the menu to tell you anything about the place, nothing on the walls except pictures of ducks, flowers, etc. It was fun trying the different beers. Other selections were limited. We went for Sunday lunch - food was good - but not great. There are so many other great places to eat I will probably not be back here.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere wonderful eveningDate4uDined on 5/16/2014Great date night with exceptional food and wonderful staff!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly great foodJetJockDined on 5/16/2014We expected a nice meal, but my prime rib and my wife's salmon were both near perfect! We came for the experience and left marveling about the food. A great night altogether.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pye excellent, crab cakes less soCorieDined on 5/13/2014Gentlemen's Pye and bread was absolutely delicious. Ambiance is nice and servers dress in costumes representative of George Washington's time. A little slow to close bill. Lump crab cakes were disappointing, otherwise excellent. Group to a little noisy, not too bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go back in timeTABXXXXXDined on 5/11/2014I love Gadsby's because the entire experience, take me back in time. I've taken my sweetheart there a couple of times, and we've both loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly goodsallyDined on 5/11/2014We expected ambience in this historic restaurant, but the excellent food was a great surprise. While the table are VERY close together, we did not feel overly squished. Really enjoyed the eveningSpecial Features:
- Mother's Day PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014This was our first visit and on Mother's day which was very nice. The ambience and charm add to the delicious food making it an all around wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not greatquiltchickDined on 5/10/2014We were recommended Gadsbys because of the old town colonial feel and the servers being in character - much like the taverns in Williamsburg, which we love. We were somewhat disappointed when our server was not in "character", as we had been told. We even saw one male server who wasn't dressed in colonial style. Although, a man later came in who was very much in character and proceeded to talk with everyone in our room as if is was back in colonial times. Then he went from table to table and carried on a conversation. He was excellent and very entertaining. The food was OK - not worth the price. I got duck with was tough and my husband got salmon, which he said was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like the brunchBeulahBoyDined on 5/10/2014We went there for dinner.The fried oysters and melted brie with raspberry appetizers were excellent. The entres were good(not great) but pricy. The staff was excellent and attentive. We have been there for brunch before and enjoyed that better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic Eatery with So-So FoodgjetsonDined on 5/10/2014The main reason to go here is for the history. After all, George Washington ate here, and it's neat to see the 18th century dining rooms and the servers in period costumes. That said, the food and service are only so-so. Our server was pleasant enough, but didn't really say much beyond "are you ready to order?" and "are you done with that?" The food - we tried several appetizers as well as the filet, the prime rib, the medallions of beef, and the duck (Washington's favorite) -- was OK at best. The beef was swimming in brown sauce and the duck was barely warm and quite rubbery. The wine list is short and overpriced. Most guests seemed to be tourists, which is probably just as well as I can't see many people coming back.Special Features:
- Dinner May 9, 2014Kath1154Dined on 5/9/2014Our wait staff verged on being obnoxious. He constantly circled our table very quickly and was over anxious to grab our dishes for each course before we finished eating. The restaurant only had 3 tables filled and no one was waiting. He actually ruined our visit and our meal by rushing us out the door. We felt so uncomfortable we went somewhere else for coffee and dessert. Exact opposite of our last visit to Gadsby's which we enjoyed immensely.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, lacks in the amenitiesIEatThingsDined on 5/5/2014The food (prime rib) was amazing as was our server. Sitting in the second dining hall at the window was a bitter-sweet experience as it was nice to have a view of the neighborhood, but all the a/c vents are by the windows which caused a chilly draft as we ate. The furniture is meant to look the part of the old tavern, except it plays the part as well. My chair was very worn in and the seat had its center caved in. A quick look around revealed a lot of chairs in the room had the same issue. Additionally, it was fortunate we went on a light evening since there appears to be only one bathroom for a restaurant with 3 dining rooms. And by that I mean a single one person bathroom. There was a line of 4 people waiting when I tried to use it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing brunch experience!m22302Dined on 5/4/2014I would suggest if you have not done so to go her for brunch! Great menu and a great gem to show off to out of town visitors. I was truly surprised and had a delightful experience.Special Features:
- history brings us back hereanthony1susanDined on 4/30/2014The history and cozy ambiance of this colonial era tavern makes it ideal for special occasions. The cuisine offers good choices, and the food can be superb. There is unfortunately a lack of consistency when it comes to food and service, so one has to hope it's a good night for the chef and staff.Special Features:
- Screen waiters betterSlowrunnerDined on 4/26/2014Our food was delicious, the setting terrific, strolling character actor lots of fun, but our server seemed to be in the wrong line of work. We and his other tables felt neglected in having our orders taken and any food or beverage served, he over filled and spilled water glasses, dropped utensils on patrons, forgot to put in or deliver drink orders, and made himself scarce and hard to flag down to attend to our concerns. Wanted to order coffee and dessert, but were afraid it would have taken another hour or more to have it served. Seemed such a shame that the management didn't either screen or train their waiter better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good eveningdadsdontroqDined on 4/26/2014Food not worth traveling a great distance for, but good ingredients, superbly prepared. Wine list limited but good selections. Gentleman in period costume and conversation was a great deal of fun. Service needs work.Special Features:
- A bit of a disappointmentSeeTheUSADined on 4/26/2014I have looked forward to visiting Gadsby's for a number of years. This trip to DC offered the opportunity. Our waitress was either inexperienced or disinterested. Service was poor, menu was just okay. A wedding had their services taxed so that they could not adequately handle the dining guests. I did not find the experience at all what I expected. Best part was the historical significance of the building and a stand up colonial comedian who was very quick and funny.Special Features:
- Good atmosphere/limited vegFedTriDinerDined on 4/26/2014Went for lunch. Very nice historic location and basic pub-type food, with a children's menu ("Jefferson Mac & Cheese" and the like). Very limited for vegetarians.Special Features:
- Fun tavern in Old Town AlexandriakallistraDined on 4/24/2014We had a fun visit to Gadsby's Tavern. Our waiter was super top-notch, one of the best, and the acting staff there was great. We also appreciated the birthday wishes for my grandmother there and her new "boyfriend". :) She said it was a memory she'll keep forever and that she's never smiled or laughed so hard.Special Features: