138 North Royal Street
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gadsbystavernrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 703-548-1288x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday: Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Prime Rib
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 703-548-1288x
A word from Gadsby's Tavern
Gadsby's Tavern has been offering fine dining since 1770. Enjoy lunch and dinner in one of the elegant Colonial dining rooms. The one-of-a-kind Gadsby's Tavern experience awaits you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gadsby's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (72)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (29)good for groups (23)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (19)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (6)notable wine list (5)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Historical, and beautiful. The food was wonderful. Try the Washington Punch, it is amazing!Special Features:
- Pleasant surprise.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014Not a tourist trap, serious efforts made towards preparing historic recipes / dishes as well as more modern fare, a bit expensive however food quality was good and service was excellent. Accommodating and welcoming of children. Visit from a "Founding Father" was an entertaining addition to the experience.Special Features:
- Enhanced Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014Outstanding food and service. Personnel dressed in the Colonial period along with a strolling gentleman playing a mandolin and singing old English songs with banter mixed in where appropriate. French onion soup is best I ever had. Great wine list. A step back into the 18th century and knowing that George Washington Thomas Jefferson and many of the Founders gathered at this very tavern to discuss things like what should be in the Constitution. I would recommend this restaurant to any and everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not An Historic OccasionCatmanDined on 10/18/2014Beautiful historic tavern in Old Town Alexandria, but service and food was mediocre. Hosts were indifferent, and the single waiter for our room was overworked. I had [Shepherd's Pie], not as good as others I've had in the area. Cute place, but needs to improve, and not take patrons for granted.Special Features:
- More than a historic landmarknoblepursuitsDined on 10/18/2014Although Gadsby's is known for it's historical significance, we go there for the food. The menu has an Early American theme, but the food appeals to a modern palate and is beautifully presented. I was part of a foursome and we all ordered something different, including a couple of appetizers. Everyone talked about how wonderful the food was. I think the meatloaf took the prize, with the hot biscuits with ham and creme freche appetizer taking a close second. I highly recommend it for a romantic evening or a small group. The service was excellent too - attentive, but not rushed.Special Features:
- Lucky findSandim25VIPDined on 10/17/2014We took a self-guided tour of Old Town Alexandria, and this historic building was one of the stops. Since it was lunch time, we decided to try it. No one was disappointed. Good good and service was top-notch. Try the Hessen beef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingHamstergirlDined on 10/16/2014This used to be a choice place for food, ambience and elegance. No more. It has shrunk to the level of an all-night diner. Guests used to be required to dress properly. This has been replaced by tennis shoes and sweat shirts. The waiters used to be attired in colonial garb, while colonial music was played by live musicians. The colonial atmosphere is gone, replaced by shrieking kids and left-over food piled on the tables (where are the waiters to clean up?) The food is still quite good and the prices reasonable. However, this does not justify spending an evening in a run down bistro that seems to compete with Macdonald's and the Silver Diner for ambience. George Washington definitely would not go back for an encore.
- A charming step back through timekurtcooksDined on 10/11/2014This is my fourth visit to Gadsby's Tavern. As usual the food and beyond were great. We were promptly seated for a 730 reservation and our waitress service water at our wine list immediately. We dined with another couple (first time visitors)and we all had a wonderful time. My wife and I shared George Washington's favorite which is half a roast duck, we also had a wonderful grape salad and the meal came with cornbread. It was all very delicious. The service was good but the waitresses very quiet. Whenever I visit Washington DC I usually visit this restaurant and will continue to do so in the future.Special Features:
- A step back in time!Britt121PADined on 10/10/2014Gadsby's was a treat and a surprise! We needed a place for dinner on a whim and when we walked in and started learning the history of Washington, Jefferson, and others visits through time, there was no where else in the city we'd rather be. Great staff and service, dinner was amazing. The salmon and risotto are both something we'd order again and again. Excellent evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gadsbyswashingtonDined on 10/9/2014I was surprised to find a group of noisy children at the tavern at 8:30 pm on a week night. The tavern has historical significance with some employees playing the part. Food is good and waitress was friendly and engaging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming restaurant with great foodJanineSVIPDined on 10/5/2014The décor and ambiance was like stepping back in time! And the food was terrific - the crab cakes and salmon are recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealJWBadgerDined on 10/5/2014This was our first time at Gadsby's Tavern and were taking out of town guests there for dinner. We had a wonderful meal and the service was excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- sadly over ratedthelunchladyDined on 10/4/2014I was so looking forward to taking my daughter to Gadsby's Tavern after a long day sightseeing at Mt Vernon. I booked online after checking reviews about historic places to visit/eat. The live entertainment was fine. The food was just nothing to write home about. I ordered the crab cake ,the sides were good but the crab cake was horrible. My daughter ordered the duck. Hers was OK but overall the whole dish was too sweet. We both felt like the food was just mediocre, even commenting to each other that the "quaint historic tavern" was the hook but they probably do not get many return customers.
- Classic charmOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/2/2014The ambience, place setting, menu all make for a great evening.,the specials are all old world cooking that gave someone a different choice than traditional restaurant fare. 😭recommend the puff pastry appetizer and the beef bordelaise.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014I had only been here once before and had agreat experience. This day my reservation was not there. Thankfully they were completely empty at lunch time. There was one waitress and service was extremely so. Was hoping to impress out of town family. They missed the mark this time. Would only return if going with a group that wanted to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Food & ServiceToritaDined on 9/27/2014We have been so excited to eat here & when we arrived the restaurant was almost empty. Yet nobody came to the hostess stand and there were 2 other parties waiting too. The turnover appetizer was good, but our entrees were not edible. My husbands salmon was raw, not under cooked but actually raw and cold. My duck had no seasoning and had been cooked incorrectly- it was dry and so tough and chewy, I got choked. Duck is hard to dry out, but they did. We told the server and a manager never came by! Our drinks weren't refilled and staff was huddled at the bar behind us. This place reminds me of those we see on Restaurant Impossible, so sad.
- excellent colonial foodHungryVIPDined on 9/27/2014love the menu choices--wish we there had been a colonial musician that night--it adds so much to the ambianceSpecial Features:
- AdequateOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014It is a historic building which is interesting . The service was poor, waited forever for drinks. Food was adequate, nothing special.
- IntrepidFoodieDined on 9/26/2014We had reservations for our party of 3. Upon arrival, were seated promptly, but at a table right in the way of a key entry/exit door to the restaurant. Had to get up & move out of the way--including moving our chairs to the other side of the table when parties entered the building (esp for a gentleman in a wheelchair so doubt this meets ADA standards). At 4th interruption, I asked the manager to move us so that we could "enjoy" our meal which he did. Irritated our server. Mgr offered complimentary dessert to help offset issues. Final issue was being served regular instead of de-caf coffee after dinner which resulted in my being awake most of the night. Very disappointing experience overall and we will not be back.
- Culpeper GalOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014The reservation got us right in. The service was pleasant, the food was good. Beware of the parking - I saw signs for 2 hour parking and was able park nicely in one around the corner from the restaurant - then to see a ticket on my windshield for "abuse of meter" What meter?? Must have been one of those remote parking stands somewhere ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a treatFirstChapterDined on 9/24/2014We wanted to spend quiet time with some guests from florida. The candlelight colonial style dinner was perfect. Banana bread pudding was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic DiningEmilyInOhioDined on 9/22/2014I absolutely loved my visit to Gadsby's Tavern. Set in Old Town Alexandria, our Founding Fathers wined, dined, and danced here. This historic establishment boasts a lovely ambiance, staff clothed in period-wear, and soft music. The prime rib was a bit tough but flavorful, the potatoes were delicious, and the wine list was impressive. The owners obviously take great care in maintaining the historic integrity of the tavern. I'll definitely be back when I'm next in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Historic Locationdjt902Dined on 9/21/2014Great historic location to take out of town guests and the food is good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is. Let down!TerribleDined on 9/20/2014I was very excited to come here and dine where are forefather has dined! We had a reservation and had to wait 30 minutes and they tried to put us outside on picnic tables. That was not the atmosphere we came for so ended up waiting some more! Our server wAs rude and inattentive and the food was tasteless ! The risotto Newburg was hideous and was a pike of unseasoned rice with the seafood picture piled next to it that bland and supposed to have a cherry cream sauce! The sauce was like a teaspoon underneath it all. Even the veggies were raw! Quite a let down!Special Features:
- Nice dinnerminorfoodieDined on 9/20/2014Everyone enjoyed their dishes (lemon chicken, crab cakes, filet mignon, and duck). I found my filet dinner a bit unwieldy with the filet so big it had to cover the mashed potatoes draped over the mashed potatoes. Our desserts (the trifle and the buttermilk pie) were EXCELLENT. The dining room does provide a very special historical setting. The service was good with two exceptions - the waiter forgot the soup one person ordered, and they should have offered to clear the bread basket and bread plates because our table was very full with 2 bottles of wine ordered. Overall it was a nice dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodRower4736Dined on 9/7/2014The food was incredible. Every dish my family had was delicious and perfectly cooked. It's a bit pricey, $22-35 per plate, but it's worth a trip.Special Features:
- Time Travel to DinnerPaulandSarahDined on 9/7/2014Dining at Gadsby's is like time traveling to colonial and revolutionary America for lunch or dinner. The ambiance can't be beat (especially if you enjoy history) and the food is suburb. The prime rib is outstanding and the service is gracious and hospitable, just as one would expect from a place that used to house George Washington for the night.Special Features:
- A Historical GemhonestpuckDined on 9/6/2014We came here on our first anniversary after having had our wedding reception at Gadsby's Tavern. It was a great place for a reception and a great place to have an anniversary. All the servers remembered us from last year! And it was great to have a private dinner in such a beautiful and memorable restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming Historical DiningRumsDined on 9/5/2014Gadsbys is a charming historical restaurant . The food, ambience, service and history make this redtsurant a must. However, if I lived in the area I would go there because the food was very good . I had the best Cosmo I've ever had the night we ate at Gadsbys. Loved this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic, costumed, and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014When choosing a restaurant in Alexandria VA, why not dine where George Washington actually dined. Gadsby's does not exclusively trade on its history and costumed wait staff, they also serve excellent food for a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Great ambience Slow serviceHarryVIPDined on 9/5/2014Loved the Chicken pot pie and the setting can't be beat -- especially for history buffs. But waiters seem to be unaware of people's needs vis-à-vis time constraints. First timers should be sure to go next door and get a tour of the Tavern life a couple of centuries ago.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/3/2014The peanut soup was great and the roast beef with red cabbage terrific. I'm not sure that Washington had a hamburger when he visited, but it was excellent. The waiter seemed overwhelmed with only four tables to serve. Most annoying was the indifference to arriving patrons, who waited for a host or someone to seat them -- not a good start to dining experience.
- Gadsby Great!FrequentDinerVIPDined on 8/31/2014This is a charming, over two century old restaurant that we stopped at on a spur of the moment. The waitress was very nice, as was her service. The food was really good, my husband and I LOVED our entrees. He had a prime rib and I had a filet. They were both cooked perfectly and were excellent cuts of meat. The side dishes were also excellent and abundant. e got dessert to go because we were stuffed and it (bread pudding and banana pudding) traveled well and tasted delicious! I was really looking forward to the good old fashion French Onion Soup, unfortunately both bowls were less than desirable because they were a bit cool versus bubbly hot! But that was the ONLY downside to our visit. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Hi Hopes but DisappointmentSpecial1Dined on 8/29/2014Anniversary dinner in a romantic setting. That was the best . Soup was cold, meat not cooked to request, waiter just putting in his time. Nothing special. Very average at best.Special Features:
- Aging FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Been many years since being at Gadsby's Tavern. Food was pretty good, but the restautant has aged and not in a good mannerSpecial Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Gadsby's Tavern is the restaurant we are at the night my husband proposed to me. We go on the anniversary of our engagement every year. We also tend to bring visitors from out of town who LOVE getting to eat somewhere historic. My children love the kids menu--the Mac and cheese, pig in a poke and fish and chips are their faves!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, lousy foodFoodie3886Dined on 8/21/2014I had the French onion soup and meatloaf. The French onion soup was pretty good. The meatloaf and mashed potatoes however were incredibly salty!! I barely ate any if it which says a lot for someone who always cleans their plateSpecial Features:
- Great ambianceQuezDined on 8/16/2014The food is well prepared in appropriate portions, served with excellent service. We'll go backSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2014The food was great but I love the old man who comes in and greets the guests in his early American dress and accent.
- Great timegatorDined on 8/10/2014Mixes neighborhood history with culinary history and great food. Staff are friendly and helpful and food is always good. Its a nice touch to any visit to Old Town for anyone with an interest in history.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.