78 Main Street
Centerbrook, CT 06409Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gabrielles.net/
- Phone: (860) 767-2440
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Jason Groten
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Contact Gabrielle's for your next party and ask about our prix fixe menu options. In addition to parties during our regular dining hours, the full restaurant is available for private bookings. Ask for Kate, Corinne, or Mauricio for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Christie (860) 767-2440
A word from Gabrielle's
Chef Jason Groten (Bricco’s, Sigs, Grants and Max on Main) completes the partnership behind Gabrielle’s but retains his own signature as the creator of dishes that result in a sophisticated, light and clean menu. Chef Groten says, “I enjoy creating simple and approachable food,” a statement which articulates his philosophy for a modern dining experience. Gabrielle’s is the emergent taste of the Connecticut River Valley; extraordinarily fresh and flavorful ingredients, a skillfully creative celebration of the local partnerships, and of course, a celebration of food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gabrielle's reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (27)special occasion (25)romantic (18)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (11)good for groups (10)great for brunch (6)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Consistent and EnjoyableEssexEdDined on 11/8/2014This is one of our top 3 restaurants in our local area. We especially like having at least 2 specials to choose from in addition to their menu. We're not fond of large portions and Gabrielle's provides just the right amount - also great bar - especially if there are only two - it's an alternate way to enjoy an evening out!Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencegmb7Dined on 11/3/2014Service was exceptional and portions large! Food was very good--especially the trout. Juices for drinks are freshly squeezed, and they have a diverse selection of cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy New England spotMoozerDined on 11/2/2014My husband and I enjoyed a sunny Sunday afternoon lunch in this cozy feeling dining room. I'm vegetarian and was told no problem but could only find salad and one appetizer, both good. My husband enjoyed his grilled chicken wrap, delicious fries and glass of wine very much. The dining room was half full of happy, taking-their-time diners so it had a nice feel. I find it reliable and would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was just okLocalVIPDined on 11/1/2014I find their food to be too overdone and salty. Had a Thai scallop type thing which was a good idea...just too laden with sauce/salt.
- Great find in Guilford1stcaseDined on 10/27/2014We happened upon Whitfield's during a getaway to the Connecticut coast. What a wonderful find! The staff, especially our server Michelle, was welcoming and knowledgeable. The ambiance was warm and, although the dining room wasn't overly large, privacy wasn't compromised. Our cocktails were expertly prepared, and Whitfield's offers a very nice wine list. The menu was lovely and offers a balance of options. The potato bisque, braised short ribs, and cavatelli were all delicious. And the sticky toffee pudding was delectable! We can't wait for our next trip to the area and a return visit to Whitfield's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014My significant other and I each enjoyed an entree special offered that evening -- I had the swordfish, and he had the pork, and neither of us were disappointed. Portions were plentiful, and the taste was devine. The others at the table enjoyed a burger and the small portion of the hangar steak, and they were both very pleased with their selections. Our server was wonderful as always, and he was very helpful about the menu . . . a nd he had a very good sense of humor which made the evening extra enjoyable. We will be back again and again.Special Features:
- Always consistently goodKds2014VIPDined on 10/11/2014We have been coming for years. Having lived in NYC for 20 years, we know good food. This place is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLP2014Dined on 10/10/2014Our dinner experience was poor. We were able to be seated far from the noisy bar. The waitress was welcoming but strong and phony. We very specifically asked for salad dressing on the side but the salad, delivered by another server, was dressed. We didn't complain and it tasted good. Our fish dinners included a small piece of fish completely overwhelmed by a plateful,of oily chorizo and shallots. We picked at the food, and didn't finish half of the food on the plate. We had no interest in trying dessert.Special Features:
- What a messIrisbowDined on 10/9/2014Although we arrived 1 3/4 hrs before we had to leave for a play we had such inattentive and slow service that we only had our drinks and salads. We informed our waitress upon arrival and she cheerily assured us there wouldn't be a problem. When we needed to speak to her I, several times had to get up and walk around to find someone to attend to us. We have eaten here before and have had very attentive, timely service and good food. This time was truly disappointing. Our stomachs were rumbling as we uncomfortably watched the play.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sauces complement not overwhelmLocalFanVIPDined on 10/4/2014Within easy reach of Ivoryton Playhouse or Goodspeed Opera, Gabrielle's gave us great food and efficient service. The fried oysters were treated with care given to zucchini flowers, i.e. light, delicate and letting the juicy oyster be the star, and the dip was outstanding. My pork special was crispy outside, moist inside with a terrific bacon sauce and a hint of barbecue not overwhelming the pork. My wife had the scallops with a red curry that was just right. She does not like things too hot and this had just enough flavor to be exciting while letting the large scallops be the principle flavor. All portions were generous. My martini of organic gin with their homemade hot pickled green beans is now a favorite.Special Features:
- A delightLuluDined on 10/2/2014Not sure why we hadn't eaten at Gabrielle's in awhile. Sorry we waited so long. Decided on an October meal of bratwurst and knockwurst ( food I don't usually eat). It was delicious. The service was attentive without being intrusive. It is such an important aspect of a dining experience that in the past, I have not returned to a restaurant where the food was good but the service poor. Not the case at Gabrielle's. Food and service were excellent. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great Monday night value!CSkinDined on 9/29/2014Gabrielle's is an upscale restaurant offering a great value on Monday nights. Every entree is 50% off. The restaurant was crowded and lively, but the service did not suffer as a result. The portions were large and quite delicious. The scallops had an Asian flair, and the hangar steak was prepared to order. They also offer casual plates which is a nice option. We had a thoroughly enjoyable evening and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bob22Dined on 9/22/2014Has always been very god. the service is great also. Big factor is the 1/2 price entries on MondaysSpecial Features:
- Extensive Gluten-Free ChoicesTheatergoerDined on 8/28/2014Outstanding food and service. Many gluten-free items designated on menu. Lovely ambiance. Convenient to Ivoryton Playhouse.
- Charlie TunaCrunchDined on 8/25/2014Mondays are very affordable with 1/2 off entrees! All the food is wonderful, and the specials can be spectacular! I'm not a drinker, so I can't speak to the wines, etc. We try to get in for 5 to 7 visits each year.Special Features:
- FabulousLorraniumschoiceDined on 8/24/2014Wonderful restaurant! A perfect evening with great ambiance and service. Food was beyond delicious and our drinks were made perfectly. Can't wait to return next time we are in CT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediterrean styleOTLongTimeMemberVIPDined on 8/23/2014This is one of the restaurants on our rotation when we go to Goodspeed; it's not that far from East Haddam. It has always been consistent. There are plenty of staff to make sure you are served promptly. The menu is small but you will find something you will like.
- great findbabsDined on 8/17/2014Gabrielle's was a great find. After the Ivoryton Playhouse matinee, we found this great restaurant on main street not far from the theater. They do not open until 5 pm so we were the first customers. Service was terrific as was the food. I will definitely go back to this place.Special Features:
- UnfortunateMartianDined on 8/16/2014We had one totally average appetizer (spring roll) and one order of truly awful scallion shrimp pancakes that were riddled with uncooked dough. That being said - the entrees were all successful though very late arriving to the table. Since he had children with us this was a problem. So...would advise keeping the kids at home. Our server was attentive and did go back into the kitchen to seek out the kids meals.
- Great!! Food, Ambience, ServiceRosieDined on 8/14/2014In all our years of patronizing Gabrielle's (10), we have only been CONSISTENTLY DELIGHTED BY FOOD, SERVICE, AMBIENCE. There has never been a dissappointment of any kind, other than over salting entrees' Our only comment is that if you are 'salt sensitive', you request that the chef go easy on the salt. The food combinations presented are so phnomenal, that the additional salt takes away from the presentation at times.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/9/2014Favorite local gem with good small plate additions to menu . Always have had a good plus meal in a good setting!Special Features:
- Elegant LunchMike58Dined on 8/6/2014Staff is exceptionally skilled. Food, especially the ginger ice cream, is out of this world. Old world elegance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicicious!WeekendDinersDined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed a delicious meal at Gabriell's. My husband had well prepared sea bass and I had salmon with tofu and vegetables that was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Our friends had tapas and a pork special. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- favorite place for all the localsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014wonderful as ususal. great personalized service. accomodated our special needs wellI would recommend this to a friend.
- Garbrielle'smooseDined on 7/26/2014Six of us for lunch before theater right down the road. What a great pick. They know how to pour a good drink here and the mussels and fried calamari were about the best we ever had. Portions are large and flavorful. Service was friendly and efficient. Tables are spaced nicely apart so we did not fear that our loud group was annoying anyone. Definitely would go backSpecial Features:
- Excellent recommendationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014We were in area for 2 nights and Gabrielles was recommneded by the staff at a local inn. We were not disappointed. Everyrhing was great from the ease of reservations to the service, food, drinks and desserts. We wish we lived closer to go back more frequently but will definiately go back when were in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 421 reviews are from the Gabrielle's reviews archive.
- Delicious specialNRfoodieDined on 7/21/2014The regular menu has a good array of dishes but we've been pleasantly surprised with some specials. Last night's bowl of shrimp (jumbo and small) with rice noodles, veggies and a lobster roll on the side (all gluten-free ) was a real treat. And on Mondays half price entrees--who knew?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014Gabrielle's is a meticulously maintained and decorated restaurant with a cosy wood paneled bar and a spacious, beautifully decorated dining room. Tables are nicely separated and near bright windows so the noise level is modest and conversations easy to maintain. Food and service were equally good -- a caesar salad with steak was my personal favorite. What a gem!Special Features:
- Lovely DetailsLeeLeeVIPDined on 6/29/2014We had a lovely brunch in this quite and beautiful restaurant. I loved the details of the fresh flowers on the tables and throughout the restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice out of the way placeGeoSDined on 6/25/2014Food was great. Bought the "light fare" muscels as an appetizer. It was so much could not finish the main course, even though we split the dinner. The service staff was very accommodating. We did have to slow the server down when he brought the salad with our drinks. After he knew we were not in a hurry and explained how we liked our dinner served he wa greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good OverallOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/21/2014Food was good, not great but good. Certainly better than most restaurants in the area. Service was good however our server did get our order wrong which caused a wait of about 45 minutes. Mistakes happen and he was very apologetic. He provided us free drinks for the error which was nice. Calimari appetizer was excellent, some of the best I've had in CT. Our Party of 4 had mixed reviews on the main entrees.Special Features:
- Sad SaladSaybrookDined on 6/11/2014I was very disappointed in the new salads. Didn't even eat it and the server did not ask why. Went back to work and grabbed something else to eat
- Great evening!MBbookDined on 6/9/20144 of us went for the 1/2 price entrees on Monday and had the most fabulous food. It is a very busy night so reservations are a must but the quality is consistent and service un-flustered and friendly. We love this place and it was our 1st time on a Monday - great value for the same amazing food.Special Features:
- GabriellasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014My only sour note of the evening was when we arrived....my open table reservation was for two people, not four.....the hostess looked very chagrined.....took a couple of minutes checking the room, etc.........what was ridiculous was the place was and remained half full,,,,,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuzanneVIPDined on 6/4/2014the food and setrvice were goo but some minor issues that were corrected quickly....one of the drinks we ordeerd from the bar was incorredct but it was corrected right away. One salad did not have goat cheese as advertised so some was brought out. the entrees were good though i would say the shrimp with garlic & capers was a tad too salty as was the sauteed spinach underneath. Overall we had a great evening and would definitively return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tasting value esp. on MondaysOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/2/2014The food and service were excellent and the price on Monday's is discounted, which is a real deal. We saw all ages enjoying themselves. And with a menu that is varied for all tastes, everyone should be happy. The waitress was knowledgeable and helpful. The fried calamari starter was a bit salty, but is was fresh from the kitchen. My salmon was prepared with a mango sauce on the side and topped with jellied wasabi (that looked like fish eggs)! The crab salad with greens and noodles on the same plate were a great garnish.Special Features:
- A Real gemDisappointedDined on 5/26/2014This was our second time to the restaurant. On this occasion we were a party of eight. The service was attentive but not intrusive. The mixed drinks were perfect. The fried oyster appetizer may have been the best fried oysters I have ever eaten. We had several different kinds of seafood and everyone loved their meals. The salads were extraordinary. Having been there on two occasions and sampled a variety of the offerings, I am in a position to highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Glad we found it.VacationgirlDined on 5/24/2014Good ad on the "village" map. Food was very good and our waitress was happy and nice to talk to. Will come back on our next trip to old saybrookSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent -As always!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/19/2014We are somewhat regulars to this wonderful restaurant located on a busy street in Centerbrook, CT. The food and service never disappoint.Special Features:
- WaitingrudeboyDined on 5/16/2014Initial service was good, but once we ate, and it was clear that we didn't want dessert or coffee, we were virtually ignored. Had to ask for the check. Once it was brought, we waited well over ten minutes, and finally had to ask someone to pick it up for payment. Mussels were quite good, but the Margherita pizza didn't have nearly enough basil. Three local pizzerias have better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.