Gabbi's Mexican Kitchen
141 S Glassell St
Orange, CA 92866Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Gabbi's Mexican Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gabbipatrick.com/gabbis-mexican-kitchen/
- Phone: 7146333038
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pmg - 11:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Mexican, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Gabbi Patrick
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Gabbi's Mexican Kitchen
Gabbi Patrick is dedicated to integrating modern gastronomy with the indigenous and traditional recipes of Mexican cuisine. In her pursuit of preserving the rich culinary heritage of Mexico, Gabbi has adopted an eco-gastronomic approach in her interpretation of “Old World” recipes. Her passion and vision are reflected in every detail of her craft, from supporting local farms to her extensive travels throughout Mexico.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Gabbi's Mexican Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Orange County ›
Gabbi's Mexican Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (32)neighborhood gem (28)great for lunch (27)special occasion (12)great for outdoor dining (11)romantic (8)hot spot (7)great for brunch (6)good for groups (5)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good, but not greatLindaTDined on 9/16/2014After hearing (and reading) such great things about Gabbi's, I expected more. The food was good, but not great. The house margaritas were good, but not great. And the portions were on the small side (though I expect this at a great restaurant) because the food and the experience is so satisfying. We left saying: that was good, but don't think we need to come back again. Sorry, Gabbi.Special Features:
- No idea why this is so popularfreddylovesfoodVIPDined on 9/2/2014We did not have a pleasant experience which was so dissappointing after all of the hype from so many people and magazines. Food was super ordinary and most of us did not even like it enough to finish our meal. Too dark to read the menu and the furniture was so stiff and heavy to move to even get seated! Terrible choice.
- TiffbDined on 8/15/2014We arrived a few minutes before our reservation. There had to be 10 unoccupied tables, minimum. It took 15 min for the hostess to meander her way back to retreave water glasses prior to seating us. Aren't reserved tables usually ready if the it's not crowded? It was 95 degrees outside and she sat us in the direct sunlight on the patio, and not under the awning with the air conditioning. The waitress asked multiple times if we wanted chips and salsa, to which we replied yes please. We never got the chips and salsa. At times it felt like she forgot we were even there, because all other tables in service were in away from the sun. The food was delicious! I may return simply for the food, that is the only reason I'd recommend GabbisSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely try againOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014Lunch service was completely underwhelming, it felt as though the restaurant could have used another 2-3 wait staff and another 2-3 people for clearing tables / pouring water / etc. Very busy even at lunch, walk-ups were being told that the waits were up to an hour or more. Food was excellent - great flavors and beautiful plating. We will definitely try Gabbi's again, hopefully the lackluster service was just due to some sort of a temporary short-staffing issue.Special Features:
- To Die For!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014The shrimp enchiladas...to die for, they were the best enchiladas I have ever had! My friend had the enchiladas Sousa and he said those were the best he has had as well. The guacamole was awesome as well. Highly recommend Gabbi's. Make a reservation, even for lunch, this place is VERY popular, for good reason!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent gourmet mexican foodGrubaliciousDined on 8/9/2014This is no typical greesy mexican food, this place is gourmet mexican food, delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014Good service, delicious food. The waiter brought a special dessert for the birthday girl and the drinks were icy cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014A very noisy restuarant for an upscale spot. Food attractively served, but not value oriented-- pretty pricey for the lack of ability to have a conversation. It's an "open air" (front) place, but that did not dissipate the sound level.Special Features:
- Yummy and transportiveEva0801VIPDined on 7/25/2014The flavors and décor transport you out of Orange County for a little while. The sangria served at lunch was thankfully not over powering, and still very delicious. Thank you for an enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Very goodLisabDined on 7/20/2014Made reservations in advance to celebrate birthdays. Food was fantastic! Drinks were great! Dessert fantastic! Service was friendly and helpful! Would definitely come back!Special Features:
- Just OkayDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 7/19/2014First time here and was expecting a lot more from all the reviews I'd read. It was just okay, food was very average compared to all the mexican restaurants I've been to. The salsa was bland with no spice whatsoever. The enchiladas suizas was also bland and the mole sauce? was too sweet. The place was very busy so I know they are popular but for me the food just didn't meet my expectations.Special Features:
- Good food and decor!eener4444Dined on 7/17/2014Unfortunately my friend and I felt the waiter wanted to turn the table quickly. We wanted to linger. We felt rushed and didn't get to enjoy ourselves like we e couldn't enjoy ourselves like we planned.Special Features:
- A must eat restaurant in OrangeJoannajVIPDined on 7/3/2014Gabbi's is one of the freshest and most interesting mexican food menu out there. The service is top notch. Their chips and salsas are amazing. Their queso is some of the best we've ever tasted. The homemade corn and flour tortillas are amazing. The steak salad is also really fresh and good. Whenever we are in central Orange County we try and make a stop at Gabbi's. If you have never tried chocolate churros this is the place to have them.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperiencehondaguyDined on 7/1/2014Great food, great service everything prepared fresh with the freshest local ingredients. Hand made tortillas! Need I say more. Come to Gabbi's for a wonderful dining experience......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointment!OutstandingVIPDined on 6/24/2014My friends and I routinely eat here because of the attentive service and tasty food. The chicken quesadilla, while not typical of what one would find in a conventional mexican eatery, is absolutely delicious and filling.Special Features:
- Gabbi's Mexican Kitchen..ExcellentYaYa68Dined on 6/18/2014We were seated towards the front entrance which was great because it was partially outside. We were able to get fresh air and could hear better. It was at 6:00pm on a Wednesday and every table was packed. The majority of patron looked like they were mostly college age and enjoying the evening. The food was delious, it was traditional Mexican food with a gourmet touch. Very good..!!! Lively atmoshere..!!! Would recommend reservations..use "Open Table" online they are great..!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experience always!RossDined on 6/13/2014Gabbis never disappoints. The ambiance is great, the food is amazing and the service staff are friendly and efficient! This place is always great for lunch or a nice romantic evening with my lady. Thank you for a consistently wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Little GemGourmandeVIPDined on 6/11/2014Gabbies is really a unique Place, Starting with the Hostess to the beautiful Chihuly style art work on the Brick walls! They have absolutely wonderful food with a assortment of Mexican and Yucatan Spices in most of there dishes. Service is always been top notch! Aaron our server was very knowledgeable and personal. You must experience this place for yourself!Special Features:
- Do eat at this restaurantHopeDined on 6/7/2014The food is a perfect example of real Mexican cooking with extra fine quality ingredients. The ambiance takes you out of downtown Orange to an upscale appearing café somewhere in Mexico City. I would eat here weekly if it were closer to me. Don't miss the opportunity to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gabbi's once again delights !RosieCVIPDined on 5/31/2014We had to travel to Orange from San Fernando valley. This is only our second time in Orange and we would not even think about going and not eating at Gabbi's - as we did the first time due to friends' recommendations. It is such good food and so great a place- every dish is excellent, the service superb, the vibe so easy and friendly and happy and relaxed. We look forward to having to travel that far again!! This time we both ordered tacos and they were delicious... even the homemade tortillas had varying flavors. The best!Special Features:
- Good but slipping!FujifolkDined on 5/25/2014Our first two dining experiences were really good. But this our third experience was a bit disappointing. My dish was Carne asada tacos and they were cold upon arrival and alll I could taste were the overwhelming taste of just cold mushrooms instead of a nice balance of meat and mushrooms. My wife's selection of shrimp enchiladas were good but the rice was pasty and the beans were flavorless. Our secret "go-to-place" is no more!(Secret because the restaurant has no signage of the name, Gabbi's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 102 reviews are from the Gabbi's Mexican Kitchen reviews archive.
- Business Lunchkeg13Dined on 5/22/2014A good spot for more relaxed business lunch without breaking the bank.Special Features:
- lilredDined on 5/21/2014This was my first time at Gabbi's. The food was delicious and reminded us of some really great restaurants on mainland mexico. Unfortunately the service wasn't that of mainland mexico. Our waiter wasn't very attentive and we would have to ask a couple of times for things and it would come to us only after asking the busboy. It seemed like we were being rushed through so our table could be turned. Aside from those things the food was really good and I would go back hoping our experience wasn't the norm.Special Features:
- Gabbi's Kitchen a GemStGvisitorDined on 5/20/2014We are out-of-staters who frequently visit Southern California. A friend of ours from home had raved about the great food at Gabbi's, so while we were visiting in the Irvine area, we went there for late Lunch in Orange. Easy to find. Easy to park. Waiter was very helpful. We tried several different types of offerings and found each one to be a special treat -- appetizers, entrees, and dessert. What a delight! It was the meal of the day! Better than any place we've been in Corona del Mar or Laguna.Special Features:
- Want to go back!GoodfoodlvrDined on 4/26/2014Sevice was a bit slow but the waitress was attentive. It just seemed to take somewhat longer to get our food, but we weren't in a rush. Food was very good and portion size was just right. No leftovers for anyone. I would like to return for dinner sometime but lunch was busy not too noisey and had a good vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedOutstandingVIPDined on 4/15/2014Another delicious and enjoyable dining experience with friends at Gabbis. Their chicken quesadilla is unique in its seasonings as well as “tortilla”...certainly not your typical quesadilla.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced "gourmet" Mexican foodMarciDined on 4/12/2014The actual restaurant is very nice. Food was mediocre as well as service. You pay for presentation not taste. $9 for 2/3 cup of guacamoleSpecial Features:
- Gabbilicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014I love this place, the service the food, the location great. The only thing I don't like is the sun is always going to be in one party's eyes while dining and annoying as it is, it isn't a deal breaker. I would recommend when calling people to confirm the reservation that you warn them about the construction and parking situation. It can add an extra 10 minutes to your arrival.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodNewbieVIPDined on 4/9/2014If you are interested in great margaritas/sangrias to go with your amazing Mexican meal, Gabbi's will definitely be the place! The price is fair for what you get. Mix in the vibrant ambiance and you have yourself a great outting fit for lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- culturally competantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014Loved our server. He made us feel right at home with his "Latin-self". Grest service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, Fantastic foodrobinEVIPDined on 3/22/2014Although its much smaller than I expected, we were wowed by the food.I've wanted to eat here since a chef friend recommended it as his favorite restaurant in O.C. Dragged my husband along and he is STILL raving about it. Wonderful menu. The chicken mole was delish, as were the guacamole, and some of the tacos. The house margarita is perfect. It can be noisy but we were still able to talk very easily. The decor is rustic brick walls with Chiluly-style glass sculptures. Very cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch for fourKaiserDined on 3/15/2014My out of state parents came for a visit and where interested in a Mexican meal. On Thursday afternoon Open Table could not get us a dinner reservation for four on Friday or Saturday so we opted for lunch on Saturday. The food was excellent! Unfortunately the server disappeared after taking our order and I had to inquire with another server about our drink order. By the time we finished our appetizers the drinks finally showed up. I expected the manager to come by at some point to apologize but it never happened. When it came to dessert the server was unaware of the kitchen being out of our selected item. At least she got the food orders right. I give the kitchen an A+ and the server a C-.Special Features:
- Wonderful foodlam722Dined on 3/15/2014We dined at Gabbi's after it was recommended to us. We were very pleased with what we found. The service and the food were outstanding. I would definitely go there again to try another entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican with a twistkmahonDined on 3/14/2014Really cute restaurant with an interesting menu. Food was good, not great, but still a place I would go again. The main draw, I think, is the atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining in the darkLuluDined on 2/23/2014The food is great, the service very good. But it's so dark we had to use our cell phones to read the menu and you can barely see the food. Ambience is a good thing, but this is too much. If the food wasn't so good we would hesitate to return.Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/23/2014The first positive was that when we called to say we were stuck in heavy traffic, the host was very accommodating. The location is in a charming old towne section of Orange amid antique shops and near a lovely town square -- great after dinner strolling area. Parking was plentiful just across the street in a public lot (free). Inside, my only complaint is that it was quite dark and a little hard to see the menu. The waiter was superb, helpful, and knowledgeable. Carne asada tacos with bacon smoky beans, braised pork gorditas, tortilla soup, and dessert for two was under $60 with tip. Very reasonable for the excellent, fresh, perfectly seasoned fare. Of particular note: the homemade tortillas -- makes my mouth water remembering them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastyposoulieDined on 2/18/2014Loved the posole--so innovative! Terrific handmade tortillas and sweet plantains. Artistic ambiance, and friendly, efficient service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'd eat there EVERY DAY.wezshootnDined on 2/15/2014So we moved wayyyyy out of town up on a mountain. The drive down isn't all that quick or friendly but Gabbi's is such a wonderful place; the food is so unique and packed with flavor that I truly dream about eating there. And it was so easy to grab a seat with "OpenTable". :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect dining trifecta!Darren2DreamDined on 2/11/2014If you like great food, service, and ambiance, this place is for you. The drinks were also very good. Prices were reasonable considering all the above. Make sure you have reservations though...the place was packed on a Tuesday night in February! If you are in the mood for authentic Mexican, this place will not disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food!yumsterDined on 2/9/2014Took my parents there for dinner and they loved it! The handmade tortillas were second to none! My only critique is that the weather was chilly outside and they still had all of their ceiling fans going. Everyone dining still had their jackets on. Not a dealbreaker though. Service was superb and on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.