1005 Rosecrans Street
San Diego, CA 92106Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://gabardineeats.com/
- Phone: 6193989810x
- Hours of Operation:
Closed Monday and Tuesday.
Dinner: Sunday 4:30pm-8:00pm Wednesday-Thursday 4:30pm-9:00pm & Friday-Saturday 4:30pm-10:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am-2:00pm
Bar is open all day Sunday.
Happy Hour: Daily 4:30pm-6:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brian Malarkey
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: We cater! Chef Brian Malarkey has teamed up with Chef Antonio Friscia to form Campine, a full service event catering company that can bring the Gabardine experience to you: www.campinecatering.com
A word from Gabardine
Gabardine is a neighborhood kitchen serving up a variety of seasonal, local products grown right in Point Loma. Dishes are paired with craft beers, interesting wines & signature cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gabardine reviews from OpenTable diners
- amazing disappointmentdrk1Dined on 12/22/2013We should have left when they told us they were out of the special fish. We went a long distance to point loma because we were told at searsucker that gabardine always had great fish. Ran out of the special at 5pm??? With no one in there but us. We missed all the signs and still went. Dumb. And the $4 tea without giving us any options but green and not letting us know the tea was $4 a cup?? No refills on the water for the tea. The server was nice but inefficient. The decor was nice but the temperature was cold. Ended up eating exactly the same thing as searsucker. The mussels and the shrimp and grits. Both were good but the shrimp was pretty modest as to quantity for sharing a main dish as we usually do.
- Not as good as other timesJoyinfoodVIPDined on 12/8/2013Had Sunday brunch here a number of times and always very good. This time at 1030a and brought friends. couldn't have cinnamon rolls as just went in oven and takes 30". Bacon not crisp, potatoes soggy and eggs arrived sunny side when over easy requested. Very disappointing.
- GREAT VENUE - UNCERTAIN FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/13/2013The restaurant has the ideal neighborhood location on Point Loma, and the staff is friendly and competent. Unfortunately, the quality of the food seems to vary from visit to visit. In the past, some dishes were very good, but on our most recent visit everything was uninspiring and not especially tasty.
- YumnomnomnomDined on 11/9/2013Had the pork tenderloin. I'm not the biggest fan of pork, but this was outstanding! Service was friendly and the drinks were great, as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Low-key and good finger foods.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/8/2013Malarkey's Point Loma restaurant is a simple mix of classy industrial decor and populist seaside cuisine. A relaxing meeting point on the quiet South end of Rosecrans near Talbot, Gabardine is named after the shirts fisherman would wear at sea. The menu is bacon laced and fish centered but holds enough variety to please everyone. It moves from Southern shrimp and grits to Mexican deep fried whole fish. Sweet potato fries and bacon broiled Brussel sprouts call out to the younger crowd palate while a collection of salads entice the older adventurer. Fun wine and bar favorites round out the tasty plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Double Date spotfoodieslyceDined on 11/1/2013We went for a double date an had a good time. The service was fantastic and the ambiance was fun but not too loud. The food was good. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at GabardineDebsDined on 10/29/2013The decor is fun and eclectic. The service was excellent and our server was helpful with his recommendations. My friend and I split the scallop special and it was very good! The food and drinks are well priced; I think they've dropped the prices from when they first opened? We went on a Tuesday and it was pretty quiet which is what we were looking for. Last time I went on a Friday and sat at the bar which is quite lively but fun if you are in the mood for that! I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've been wanting to try thisOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/27/2013I've been wanting to try this place out for a while so brunch sounded perfect! The place is really cute - it's open and bright - the service was great and the food was fantastic. I had the shrimp and grits, which was phenomenal and my friends loved their omelets, especially the crab one! It is a great place for brunch! I will definitely be going back.Special Features:
- Delicious Seafood Excellent ServiceNikita1569VIPDined on 10/25/2013We had a 7:30 reservation on a Friday night and were seated right away. Parking is on the street or in a few spots in the lot behind the building. The staff is knowledgeable, friendly and professional. Drinks were great, I had the mule and hubs had a jalepeno infused tequila. We shared oysters which were fresh and delicious, and the most amazing Brussel Sprouts I've ever had. Lobster Mac and cheese did not skimp on the lobster at all and was surprisingly light for such a heavy sounding dish. Shrimp and grits were creamy abd amazing. My only complaint is that I wish the cookies in the ice cream sandwich were freshly baked so they would be warm and chewy instead of hard and crunchy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 1st choice in Pt. LomaShinerDined on 10/18/2013My wife and I love Gabardine. The staff is friendly and do a great job in helping us decide what to order. Not once have we been dissapointed with a recomendation!Special Features:
- Good...after a long waitMarkUmp29Dined on 9/29/2013Our experience is that we were seated and no servers (two guys came by our table several times) for 25 minutes before I finally got up and spoke to the hostess who seated us. A manager took care of us from there, and did a great job, but someone dropped the ball (and appeared not to care). Food was very good and we were comped for 30 percent of our bill for the trouble. It's loud at times in there, too. Not sure we will be back.
- Not Recommended!KathyVIPDined on 9/29/2013I would not recommend dining at this restaurant. The food is so-so, the noise level very high!!
- Food is always good here.GIGIDined on 9/29/2013Food is always good here. A view would make it perfect. Great neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Excellent MeatOchoaGoddessDined on 9/27/2013My husband and I went to Gabardine during restaurant week. We both had the fried brussel sprouts (awesome! We order brussel sprouts every time we see them and these are some of the best we've had), I had the pork tenderloin with peaches, and my husband had the steak that had a cinnamon-y potato "flake" on top. After wondering to each other what made our dishes so tasty, we came to the conclusion that it's the excellent quality of the meat and proper use of marinating and seasoning. Such delicious entrees! I was disappointed by the dessert offerings on the restaurant week menu (the only thing even remotely chocolate-y was the chocolate chip cookie my husband had with milk - yes, they serve milk and cookies on the regular menu. Strange, no?)Special Features:
- This is more of a bar withchas980Dined on 9/22/2013This is more of a bar with food than a restaurant with alcohol. Most of the menu is bar food, but very good bar food. As with a bar it is noisy.Special Features:
- We wanted to like it!Wishes01Dined on 9/21/2013We love Herringbone and Seersucker so,were excited to,try this place. Made reservations and got there 20 minutes early. We were willing to wait but the music was so loud In the bar there was no,chance of enjoying a drink. The hostess said she couldn't seat us so we walked around the cute neighborhood. When we came back she eventually seated us at a table I had noticed was vacant when we had come in the first time. She could have seated us initially but chose not to? It went downhill from there, waiter was really nice but food took forever and was cold when it got,there. Won't go back.Special Features:
- wonderful for food, but wayDianaDined on 9/21/2013wonderful for food, but way too noisy to enjoy a meal with friends with whom you wish to converse.
- Restaurant WeekFirstTimerDined on 9/18/2013Not a fan of going out during Restaurant Week, but the GF wanted to give it a try. Our server was super friendly and accomodating. However, the food was pretty mediocre. It was Restaurant Week though - so longer delays and less polished dishes should be expected. Would maybe go back for the friendly server, but not for the food.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/18/2013fun, cute place with good food, good beer, and good staff!!Special Features:
- Another great night at Gabardine!RaginCajunDined on 9/14/2013It's always an experience at Gabradine! We had a little of everything, small and big plates, all based on the expert advice of the staff and it was a great to see Bryan and his family there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great staffdinnerDined on 9/7/2013Brian Malarkey has made some excellent changes to the menu and his staff can explain them in detail The service we received Saturday was excellent. I had the pork tenderloin and it was very tender and juicy and quite flavorful. My sister had the spicy shrimp and avocado salad and said it was delicious. Sam was our server and was a very informative gentleman.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/20138-10pm, Saturday, August. drinks at the bar took too long considering the light crowd, bar had good atmosphere, "Mule" was great and served in a copper cup (I'm told this is critical). both types of fries good but clear winner, sweet potato. I tried burger (good), lobster Mac n Cheese (very good but my wife said good), BLAT salad (very good), Pork tenderloin (very good, my wife said good), fried rock fish (very good), steak & potatoes (good), for dessert oat meal cookies (fair) with vanilla ice cream (very good), glass of milk (great idea!), cup of coffee (good). The low point of the meal was our server, didn't know much about the food and didn't seem to care. Price $42/person was very reasonable for the whole experience minus the server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was looking forward to theSoninsanndiegoDined on 8/23/2013Was looking forward to the sea urchin gelato like we had last year when we were here but were disappointed that there was a different chef now. Also very limited fresh fish menu unlike before. The food was good but we won't return as the unique dining experience we expected is no longer.
- We were at Gabardine earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2013We were at Gabardine early (6:30 p.m.) on a Friday and sat at a high top next to the bar, because the "main "dining area can get very noisey. Staff is friendly and helpful, but forgot a salad until reminded; then brought the wrong salad. Otherwise, food was plentiful, hot, and tasty.Special Features:
- Awesome Neighborhood Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/18/2013I love Gabardine! Of all the Brian Malarkey restaurants, this is definitely the most low key, but then again it's an awesome perk! You get great food, in a low key environment. No need to get dolled up to go to brunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were visiting the areaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2013We were visiting the area and came upon Gabardine via Open Table. We were very happy with selecting Gabardine as our place for dinner. Open side wall allowed for the great feel of the sun and the beauty of the day. Drinks were great, food as well. Service was gracious.Special Features:
- The "IN" PlaceBonnieDined on 8/10/2013Gabardines is just right!! Casual but a flirt of dressy. Great and unique food choices. Brussel Sprouts from Heaven!!Special Features:
- Very Noisy RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/7/2013Food and service was very good, but had to yell to talk to my guest -- so not at all a comfortable experience. Won't go back.
- Where's the sticky bun?smeredithsVIPDined on 7/28/2013After going here a few times and having the sticky bun as the dessert prior to brunch, we had the mini donut holes. They were good, just not as much as the amazing sticky bun. I had the crab omelet and my friend had the shrimp & grits, both our plates were licked clean. Attentive server and staff. This place does not disappoint.Special Features:
- Remains very enjoyable and dependabGreatVIPDined on 7/26/2013We have enjoyed returning here regularly for a nice relaxing tasty dinner for several months and our last visit remains the same.Special Features:
- TOO LOUDPLhappyVIPDined on 7/20/2013It is still TOO LOUD! The food is good, the service is much better than our prior visit too...please do something about the acoustics and you'll get more business.
- Excellent FoodMikedawgDined on 7/16/2013Everything is cooked and plated to perfection. The flavors are to die for. A really great meal ! We loved every bit of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little too Calfornia casualnycyumVIPDined on 7/14/2013This was the fourth of Brian Malarkey's restaurants I've visited, and it was my least favorite. The space is smaller than his other spots, which I tend to prefer, but this was very overcrowded during Sunday brunch. As my friend cancelled, I opted to sit at the bar, which was definitely a mistake. The hostess was pulling double duty trying to help out the bartender, who seemed to be doing nothing but forgetting drinks and not taking orders. I was never offered more coffee during the course of my meal (I eventually asked for it) and my salad was forgotten until I asked about it- well after the rest of my meal was served. Maybe it was an off day, but it seems like a restaurant would prepare for brunch on the one day on which they serve it.
- nice experiencefianne9999Dined on 7/9/2013Went with just the kids. Had a good time. Service was excellent until had to wait for bill. Descriptions of food on menu, such as Caesar salad not what I expected when I ordered. Good nonetheless. Staff was awesome with kids . Wil return, hopefully with husband for date nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Light Fare for Sunday BrunchMauiGal619Dined on 7/7/2013Small menu and well proportioned food that leaves you feeling satisfied but not overfed. I had the Gabby Cheese Steak Omelet which was tasty but could have used some hot sauce. I was not offered any condiments so I assumed there were none only to overhead another waiter offer other guests hot sauce after I had finished. My husband had the Pork n Eggs, which he found very well cooked and satisfying. His only comment was that it would have been perfect if there was another egg specifically for eating the grits. I actually wanted lunch; however the lunch options were very few and not exciting so I opted for breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The return to GabardinedancerDined on 7/5/2013Originally when my husband and I dined at Garbadine, it was dissapointing. They had just opened, and it just did not meet up to the "Malarkey" reputation. We have returned for brunch on two occasions, and dinner July 4th weekend. The service, food and ambience were all outstanding. Our server was pleasant, attentive, and very knowledgable on each dish, and the ingredients. Took some friends here who are fans of Brian Malarkey. They were very impressed. This is a neighborhood resaturant for us that we plan to return to, either for brunch or dinner. The brunch is imaginative, and delicious. Nothing to way out, but brunch favorites done in an exceptional way. Looking forward to another visit to this gem.Special Features:
- An Unexpected DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2013This was my first visit to this restaurant. I brought a party of 5 for a special birthday event. Everyone enjoyed their drinks, their food and the ambiance was casual and easy. Our waiter was sufficiently attentive he made the Birthday girl feel special and a good time was had by all.Special Features:
- Consistently ExcellentGreatVIPDined on 6/28/2013This restaurant is quickly becoming our go-to place for Friday dinners. Mercifully under-crowded and always ready to seat us at the reserved hour, we find their menu highly enjoyable with the food graciously and meticulously presented from their very creative kitchen. The wines by the half-liter are well priced to enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off-day for the menuOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2013The menu here is changed daily. Our party of three concluded that on this occasion, it was a miss. But, next time we go it will probably be a winner again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!kkpoc33Dined on 6/23/2013We went for Sunday brunch with another couple and our respective kiddos. The staff was extremely accommodating and friendly with the kids. The only negative was the wait time for our food. But that said, once the food came it was so DELICIOUS that we immediately forgot about the wait time. The food was well worth the wait. And the hibiscus mimosas are out of this world! We live in downtown and regularly dine at Searsucker so I was very anxious to try The Gabardine. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.