G. Michael's Bistro & Bar
595 South Third Street
Columbus, OH 43215Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
G. Michael's Bistro & Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://gmichaelsbistro.com/
- Phone: (614) 464-0575
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: David Tetzloff
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: G. Michael's Bistro offers a wonderful room for your next business meeting & dinner, birthday party or family gathering of up to 45 guests. We tailor each event specifically to your needs so please call with any questions that you may have.
- Private Party Contact: Jeff Benson 6144640575
A word from G. Michael's Bistro & Bar
: G. Michael's Bistro & Bar is a restaurant committed to a dining experience singular to historic German Village & Columbus. Our goal is to provide our guests with consistently superior food, drink, & service. Guests will be served by friendly, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic people committed to ensure that each & every visit to our restaurant is exceptional. We strive to make each guest feel as if they are our singular concern. This too, is the goal of our kitchen staff - to prepare every dish as if it were the chef's only concern. Our menu is a pleasing combination of contemporary American cuisine & many low country influences. The daily fish specials are always highly appreciated & sell out regularly. The wine list consists 25 offerings by the glass & a nice variety of perennial favorites & well respected small producers. We look forward to seeing you. Jeff Benson, Owner/OperatorContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
G. Michael's Bistro & Bar - Best Restaurants in German Village ›
G. Michael's Bistro & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (125)neighborhood gem (108)special occasion (104)romantic (85)notable wine list (63)great for outdoor dining (51)good for groups (28)hot spot (25)vibrant bar scene (17)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Consistently ExcellentDJONJKODined on 11/15/2014We are always pleased with all aspects of G. Michael's. From the greeting at the door through evening's end, it is top notch. The entire staff is well prepared and do not hesitate to help one another out in providing diners with a quality dining experience. The food is excellent and the menu is a nice blend of old favorites and new (and often creative) additions. Following our waiter's tempting description of the dish, I tried the Rabbit Leg Scallopini. What a great and pleasant surprise that reminded me of why I keep coming back to G. Michael's. A shout-out to our waiter, Michael, who really knows his craft! Thanks to all for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hour / Great foodEJR5077Dined on 11/11/2014The happy hour was great. The food was excellent. Service was outstanding at the bar and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- G. Michael's Scores AgainCJWFoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014I had dinner at G.Michael's with my wife and three additoonal friends last Saturday and it was absolutely exquisite as usual. The food, the service, the ambiance all were impeccable. I have never had an unpleasant experience there and will go back in a heart beat. It was most enjoyable.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014We love coming to G. Michaels, every time the food is fabulous and wait staff is great and friendly. There is not a better restaurant in Columbus!Special Features:
- G MichaelElceDined on 11/8/2014Food was superb. Great variety and good gluten free for one of our party. I especially enjoyed the vegetarian plate as it was a sampler of all the sides. The bread and its seasoned spread was a nice addition. The only issue was a noise level that inhibited conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect prie fixePagankcDined on 11/8/2014Saturday in Columbus, Ohio means Buckeye football. But, lucky for us Saturday also means a changing prie fixed meal at G Michaels. service (Tim) was excellent and the food fabulous. We enjoyed the excellent hangar steak homage to old time steakhouses with the sides of spinach and creamy hashbrowns. The panna cotta was flavorful and the berries added a contrast to the sweet custard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real neighborhood gem!dinerDined on 11/7/2014We went to G Michael's in German Village for the first time - and will definitely return to this neighborhood gem! We enjoyed a great atmosphere, great service and great food. We highly recommend G Michael's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationSunshineDined on 11/1/2014Our family had a BD celebration (all adults) and we all thoroughly enjoyed everything. Especially like the special menu of the pre set app/entree/dessert! The men also enjoyed the beer selection.Special Features:
- relaxing and high qualityLeeseDined on 10/31/2014The service and atmosphere were wonderful. I love quiet dining spots. I really liked our dinner. The food was very good, and many local and "foodie" elements. They were very kind as well to provide a free dessert for my hubs, celebrating his B-day. Overall, we were thrilled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great weeknight dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/30/2014Went here on a weeknight with some out of town guests. It was their first time at the restaurant and they were very impressed. We started with appetizers - the Brussels sprouts were outstanding as was the pate on the salami plate. All dinners were exceptional - mahi mahi, steak, shrimp and grits, buffalo. We shared three desserts - the apple crisp was the best we have ever eaten - and the lime pie and carrot cake were also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandyDined on 10/30/2014The Happy Hour specials were numerous anbd the ones we chose were delicious. aSpecial Features:
- Excellence!TonyDined on 10/25/2014Saturday's fixed price menu is a must try! Great food quality, presentation, and combination of flavors!! Service was excellent. Our waiter suggestions about the cocktails and wines were a perfect combination four our meals! I windy doubt to go back again. I took my gf there for a date and she loved it too(good for me, she was happy)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good choicePhantomfanDined on 10/23/2014Good location, good service, and uses local foods. We thought the fare was overly rich, with too many heavy sauces. I would like to see some simple choices. For example, the Brussels sprouts with shiitake mushrooms appetizer was very tasty but drowned in Gruyere cheese sauce. The ribeye steak was delicious and perfectly cooked but there was a sauce on top that seemed unnecessary since there was already a very tasty glaze. They need to trust the favors of the food. It is a good place for an unhurried dinner which I really appreciate. The server was prompt if we wanted it but also happy to let us linger.Special Features:
- Food Excellent!ErieandHHDined on 10/21/2014We visited GMichaels this week on a Tuesday evening and couldn't have been more pleased. The food was very good and the service was excellent. We have visited before and will do so again...thanks for keeping up the quality.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Lighting was too low, room temperature a little chilly, calamari was too greasy, steak was under seasoned. Best part about the food was the apple pie, although was surprised to see such a limited unimaginative dessert menu. Overall concept was a little dated.
- Casual, classy experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Had business associates in from out of state. They were very impressed with G Michael s. The food was great, the service was exceptional. We were a party of five and our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and how things were prepared. Our experience was casual but classy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Under Pressureslwilson35Dined on 10/18/2014Dinner before a concert event and the place was PACKED! Even with a reservation we were seated 20 minutes late. However, after being seated all was good. Service, great. Food, exceptional. The meatball is amazing! The Martinis came with blue cheese stuffed olives and the bread is wonderful. We did not have time for dessert. But I must say, from the hostess to the manager...they were great under pressure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeamicky49Dined on 10/17/2014This was our first time dinning at G. Micheal's the service was great and the food was really good too. Prices are a little steep. I wish they had a wider price range we would come more often. Went to the Ohio Theater afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Columbus' bestajaxVIPDined on 10/13/2014G Michael's is one of our favorite restaurants. Three of had house salad or scallop appetizers, pork chop or walleye main courses, and shared lemon tart and ice cream for dessert. Each was perfectly prepared and delicious. Service was, as always, outstanding. The atmosphere is comfortable with plenty of space between tables.Special Features:
- good, but expensive.fmc1Dined on 10/12/2014Food is very good, however it is a bit pricey. At this price point it is competing with Columbus' best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful local spotrzbzDined on 10/11/2014We always love dining at G. Michael's. We come at least once each year for the autumn selections. The service is always wonderful, everything you could ask for. The servers are kind and attentive and always make an attempt to get to know us on a personal level. The wine list is amazing and the servers are very knowledgeable about how the wine pairs with the food. We often bring out-of-town visitors here since it's one of our favorite spots!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- place for all occasionsscrubsnsudsDined on 10/11/2014We had friends come in for a show at one of the local hotels. Yep they called wanting to know where was a good resturant close by. We offered to join them for dinner. We have eatten there with or without quest. Never , never have we had a bad experience. We brought our friends to G. Michaels for dinner. The food service and price was great. Our friends were very pleased that we shared our resturant with them. It was a high-lite .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BebeDined on 10/10/2014G. Michael's is always a pleasant place to dine. The food is outstanding and the service is always top-notch.Special Features:
- DisappointingGoCharlieDined on 10/9/2014Out-f-town married daughter came home and I picked this spot for an up-scale dinner. Perhaps I hadn't fully eplained about my wife's sensitivity to spicy foods enough; I sure wish I'd made it cleaarer! Her shrinp and grits had a sauce too spicy for her to eat. The grits and shrimp were tasty. My lamb was under cooked for my taste, and I had not been asked how I wanted it. Double fault there. Daughter's duck was the best of meals. I lay the fault here on both myself and the waiter - not enough good pre-ordering explanations on either side. Wines were great. Hope we fare better next time out; I know I'll be lots more careful. Not the event I'd planned.Special Features:
- Excellent Food Excellent ServiceSwim2TriDined on 10/3/2014Few times am I able to say a restaurant has achieved excellence in both food and service. G Michaels excels at both. Unlike other German Village establishments, G Michaels is not stuffy and does not rest on their laurels. This has been my third trip in 2 years and each time is better than the last. I especially appreciated the service provided to us by our server. He knew exactly when to be part of the conversation with his attentive service and quick wit without being overbearing. Thank you! When asked by friends for a good recommendation, G Michaels will be the first destination I recommend every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- newplacenofoodieDined on 9/29/2014delicious small plates and salads, and enough to make a meal. Great waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Great food, pleasant, quiet ambiance. Overall a great place to spend an anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hiccups with service- dinner divineLovefood56Dined on 9/26/2014Homecoming night made kit crowded and noisy. We had to wait quite a while for our server to come back and take our order after she brought our wine- but dinner was great- we loved the whole thing! Mussels for appetizer halibut for dinner and lemon tart for dessert- yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Service and FoodSabracadabraDined on 9/25/2014We had a wonderful meal - it's the kind of food that is completely deliberate. Every flavor was chosen with care, every grill mark seemed to be placed with care, and you could just taste the love and attention that went into everything that came out of the kitchen. It felt like Sophie's Choice when he read off the specials, which were all themed around pork that evening. That said, the chatter from the yuppiest couple that ever did yuppy kind of ruined the ambiance that would otherwise have been perfect. Not the restaurant's fault, and I'm sure they would have moved us inside if we asked, but we thought it would stop eventually. It did not. So maybe ask for a secluded table if you are celebrating something special?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 77proudDined on 9/21/2014Excellent food and service. Best rack of lamb I've had in years, and the lentil/beet salad was out of this world. And my husband thoroughly enjoyed his crab cakes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hufbroDined on 9/20/2014first time at g. michael's. friend recommended. now one of our favorites in columbus. nice menu variety. in paticular appreciated the efforts to use local produce and meats. our food was quite good. nice wine list. sat outside. outdoor patio is cozy and comfortable. next visit will try the ambience inside-which looked good from outside.Special Features:
- ExcellentKDPPDined on 9/19/2014My fiancee had the halibut and I had the lasagna. Both were outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Happy Birthdaycsamons09Dined on 9/14/2014We had a late reservation for Sunday night. Service was excellent, thanks Collin, and the food came out right as we finished the prior course. The borgoo was amazing. I love the wine list which has great botitles at every price range. Can't wait to come back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointingEddiePieDined on 9/14/2014I love the food, I love the drink, I love the staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and RelaxingDewMouseDined on 9/13/2014G. Michael's knows how to relax and let you enjoy your food, which is delicious and nicely presented. The staff is friendly and attentive without hovering. Our only complaint is that they seemed to be having a problem with odor from the nearby bathrooms. It was obvious in the entire area in which we were seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimerMarkDined on 9/13/2014Service was great, food was good. Only problem I had was a terrible odor when I walked in and was especially bad by the restrooms. Smelled like sewage. They were trying to cover it with cinnamon candles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- G. Michael's experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/12/2014Phenominal. Everything we ate was out of this world from salads to apps to entrees. I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for a Birthday!addicted2dinningDined on 9/10/2014When our family celebrates a birthday, we always go to G. Michael's. The whole atmosphere is just right for a good time of eating, drinking, and having fun conversation. The service was superb. The menu offered enough choices to suit everyone's taste. All of our orders were delicious and looked great as well. The wine list is extensive. We will be back for the next birthday for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For quiet, choose the patioBear70VIPDined on 9/9/2014I like a quiet spot and we really enjoyed the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently superiorFrequentDinerDined on 9/8/2014I often ask for adjustments to menu items, such as using low salt and fat in preparation, and the waits and chef are gracious and accommodating. Food is excellent. The patio last Monday was lovely. This has been our favorite place for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.