Funky Monkey Wine Company
912 N. Mills Ave
Orlando, FL 32803Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $31 to $50
Funky Monkey Wine Company
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.funkymonkeywine.com/
- Phone: 4074271447x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Weekend: Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00midnight
Lunch & Brunch: Available for private events.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Fusion / Eclectic, Asian
- Executive Chef: Ashley Nickell - Chef D Cuisine
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The Funky Monkey Wine Company offers a full selection of catering menus. We can cater your events from 5 people to 500 people. Corporate, weddings, parties we can take care of every detail. The Funky Monkey Wine Company is available for private and group events for lunch and brunch. contact email@example.com
- Private Party Facilities: The Funky Monkey can be reserved for your group please contact restaurant directly for details.
- Private Party Contact: Eddie Nickell 4074805650x
- Entertainment: Monthly Wine Dinners featuring guest speakers from around the world
For more information and event dates visit www.funkymonkeywine.com.
- Special Events: Monthly Tasters Guild Orlando Wine Dinners. See www.funkymonkeywine.com for schedule.
A word from Funky Monkey Wine Company
Restaurant Description: The Funky Monkey Wine Company is a relaxed neighborhood wine bar and eatery near downtown Orlando in the Mills50 District. This restaurant and wine bar is beautifully decorated with hard wood floors, tablecloths, and warm candlelight where earth tones, a stylish wine themed decor and beautiful bar set the mood. This "stylish yet unconventional" wine bar serves 130-wines by the bottle; 40-wines by the glass all served in beautiful Diva Glassware and offers diners an Asian-American influence. An extensive menu offering delectable salads, unique appetizers, entrees ranging from Steak to Sushi and wine and cheese pairings are just a sample of what this hot spot offers locals and tourists alike. Monthly Wine Dinners featuring guest speakers from around the world and nightly specials keep the Monkey exciting and new; everything about this place is fun and pleasantly Funky Monkey. Visit us online at www.funkymonkeywine.com.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Funky Monkey Wine Company reviews from OpenTable diners
21 reviews since March 25 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)romantic (13)neighborhood gem (13)notable wine list (8)special occasion (5)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)good for groups (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- A Hidden GemcruzluversVIPDined on 7/21/2014We enjoyed an early dinner before a concert at Funky Monkey. Tempest, our very personable server, took very good care of us throughout the meal without being obtrusive. The restaurant exudes ambience and is a perfect setting for a relaxing dinner. Our two pasta dishes were delicious (though one could have been a lot hotter) and just the right size. We definitely will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately, a miss....WillnGarrickVIPDined on 7/19/2014They have a long way to go to make this work. Our Caesar salad was unimpressive, the croutons were cut bread and not crunchy as a crouton should be. The salad dressing was unimaginative and bland. Our pasta entrées were good however small in portion size. The restaurant itself was nice, however, the bathroom had a significant odor and the other bathroom was out of service.
- Great little restaurantSmilesDined on 5/31/2014If you are looking for a quiet dinner out, Funky monkey ia great a choice! Food and service were very good. They have some unusual menu items, and everything we tried was yummy! I do think the prices were a bit high though, and they only have beer and wine, otherwise would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Placeabrook65Dined on 5/31/2014There is a nice selection of inexpensive wines. We had the mushroom appetizer. It was very tasty. The bison burger was perfect and served with homemade potato chips. The music was a little too loud. The service was great. It would be nice if they added a couple more salads to the menu but the food and service was very good.Special Features:
- Surprisingly good!FloridagirlDined on 5/15/2014Our party of 5 with varying food preferences all enjoyed our meal at Funky Monkey this past week. Everyone was able to share in a number of tapas style appetizers and then had their own entree. Menu was eclectic, ranging from sushi to filet mignon. All was delicious! It was a relatively quiet weeknight, the manager was our server and did a great job! He recommended a wine not on the wine list and we had 2 bottles of it (re-corked #2 to enjoy at home.). Outstanding selections: avocado/tuna appetizer, lobster bisque, spicy sushi perparations - all delicious! They also thoughtfully provided a dessert with candle for the birthday girl.Special Features:
- Food good, service well...livelaughdineDined on 5/2/2014I'd say that if you're looking for a great meal for an occasion this is the place. Both my companion and I were impressed. The service however was rather unusual. It seemed that the servers were not communicating well at all. It's not like the restaurant was busy either, we were one of two tables occupied.Special Features:
- Consistantly great!sas1Dined on 4/15/2014Funky Monkey can always be counted on fro great food, great service and a terrific wine list.Special Features:
- great Birthday dinnerworthmydimeDined on 4/14/2014All I wanted was a nice calm meal for my birthday. And that's what I got. A perfect balance of attentiveness from my server without being overbearing. The food came out of the kitchen at a nice pace and everything was fresh and delicious. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Nice but tasteless foodFoodieVIPDined on 4/11/2014The decor was nice but the food was just fair. The lobster bisque tasted like Cheery and not lobster and the sliders were all breading and not lobster, shrimp and salmon. Therefore, I would only say the food was fair.Special Features:
- Awesome!epilotDined on 4/5/2014Not the first, not the last time we will go there, as the quality of the food just wows you over, and affable attention from servers.Special Features:
- Funky Monkey lost its FunkyTinkerWatchDined on 4/4/2014We dined at Funky Monkey on a Friday night at 7:30PM. Upon arriving the restaurant was barely operating, only one table of customers. We ordered drinks, only to find that half of our choices, the restaurant was out of most Beers. The portion sizes were so tiny that we decided the restaurant should change the name to Micro Monkey. The price point would have been fine if the portion sizes were close to normal gourmet portion sizes. Taste was good, but ambiance was closer to hotel dining. No funky here. Would not recommend, will not return. Sushi Pop Oviedo is superior to Funky Monkey.
- RedemptionfoodieVIPDined on 3/29/2014First attempt at dining with Funky Monkey back during magical dining month was an absolute shame but this time we gave their sushi another try and it was fantastic! Service and atmosphere were great too. Glad we gave it a second chance. Anoop was a good server; can't wait to come back for some more sushi! Our party also enjoyed the tequila shrimp dish and burger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 634 reviews are from the Funky Monkey Wine Company reviews archive.
- Excellent Friday eveningHrrgatorVIPDined on 3/28/2014Had a great early dinner at Funky Monkey this past Friday after work. Parking can be a challenge, but the food, ambience, and service were all excellent. My girlfriend and I enjoyed the pork and chicken dishes with a nice bottle of wine. It was relatively quiet when we first got there (6:30ish), but the crowd picked up by the time we were finished. Anoob, our sever, took excellent care of us and it was a great evening overall. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceKkRobi51Dined on 3/27/2014Portions were huge. Would have been fine with two appetizers. Best lobster bisque ever ! Wine selections were great a very knowledgable serverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/19/2014local restaurant for us and brought out of town guests, the food was awesome, the service was paced perfectly for us. I have already recommended this place to several of my work colleagues and friends. Will certainly do this again.Special Features:
- Small but "Funky" MenuADVEsqDined on 3/17/2014The food menu is quite limited, but the selections are different from many restaurants. The selections we chose were DELICIOUS! Beware the website was not updated when we went... so the half of sushi Mondays is GONE. They have half off of wine instead. We were already there, so we stayed, but we spent significantly more than we had been expecting to spend on a Monday night outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just a great little place!!perfskiDined on 3/8/2014Great food....not too fancy.....great service.....quiet so you can talk....just great.Special Features:
- Orlando MainstayMattVIPDined on 2/22/2014Do you like wine? Do you like well paired food with wine? Go to the Funky Monkey tonight! This spot is in constant battle for my favorite restaurant in Orlando. The wine list is always refreshing and of high quality, the starter dishes are home runs, and the opportunity for variety is very nice - sushi, salads, steakhouse quality meats. I'm vegetarian, and I'm commonly restricted to the starters list...but there is always something delicious there!Special Features:
- Cozy up with a bottleAJonesDined on 2/21/2014The wine is very good and the waitstaff knows what they are doing. The entrees and appetizers are good. Stuffed avocado? Yes. Skip dessert here, it lacks the freshness and inventiveness of the rest of the menu. Funky Monkey is a great little surprise in Mills-50.Special Features:
- Been there, done that!Siverangel1964Dined on 2/15/2014Ambiance was good. Ahi tuna sushi rolls and wine were very good. Because it is a small restaurant it has a limited menu. That is not a big problem except when you are out of one of your main dishes on a saturday night at 7:30pm. Kitchen service slow. We asked for lemon, never got it. Main dishes were okay but nothing to brag about. Plate presentation was lacking. Did not order dessert because did not want to wait any longer. Tables around us complaining of food wait and asking for more bread to tie them over. Food and wine reasonably priced. All in all, been there and done that. Not impressed and will not be returning.
- A little too funkyChamp24VIPDined on 2/15/2014We had a horrible experience on Saturday night at Funky Monkey.. We arrived at 7:00 for our reservation and there was two other tables with diners. Our appetizers (sushi rolls) took over an hour to come out of the kitchen despite many pleas with the waiter. He had to go in the kitchen and help prepare food. Our dinner took another hour and a half to arrive at our table. The restaurant had filled up and people were yelling at the wait staff at the slow service. Two large parties gave up and walked out after waiting for their food for well over an hour. WHEN the food arrived it was as delicious as always. We were so embrassed as we had convinced some friends to join us based on our recommendation for what is normally a great meal.Special Features:
- lovelysilvanafvDined on 2/14/2014Lovely hostess, our server was good too. The food was tasty and had good options. The service was somewhat slow but that is expected on valentines daySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day DinnerRichardDined on 2/14/2014We went for valentine's day dinner. The food was pretty good. The lobster bisque was best I've ever had. The rest - steak, salad, etc. was consistent with a higher end restaurant. I was surprised at the limited wine list, but that may have been a different menu for valentine's day. The tables were a bit small and the chairs weren't very comfortable. I would definitely go again if i were in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad ServiceMimiDined on 2/14/2014We had a reservation and had to wait 40 minutes for our table. After 20 minutes we asked the hostess what the wait was and she said there was a confusion earlier and we gave your table to someone else. When we complained about that she said I am just a volunteer tonight. When we finally got seated we had to flag the waiter over to take our drink order and 25 minutes later flagged him over again to take our food order. All of our food was good and tasty except for my husbands dish. It was supposed to be grouper. It looked awful and tasted awful. He could not eat it. Not once did the waiter ever come back to our table to see how our food was or if we needed anything. At this point my husband had lost his appetite. Where was the manager?
- Divine lobster bisqueOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/14/2014They first served a nice bite of salmon on rye, then the appetizers arrived. Something, perhaps the Crete fraisch, made it the best lobster bisque either of us ever had. My appetizer was good, also---a small avocado with cream cheese, capers, tuna tartare. Our grouper, on a bed of creamy potatoes, was a little dry but nicely flavored. The chocolate cake was so rich and yummy we wished we could eat more, but we simply could not manage that much food. The price for a four course Valentine's meal was surprisingly low.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive Menu!AmandaDined on 2/8/2014My husband and I love tapas and small plates! The menu offers SO many choices it was very hard to decide what to pick next. ALL of our choices we were very happy with and had a hard time picking a favorite! The wine list has great choices and eel look forward to going back again!Special Features:
- Missed Expectations/Great ServiceFOODDUDE23VIPDined on 2/1/2014They had some wins on food quality but really won with service. The Goat Cheese bruschetta and Lobster bisque were phenomenal. The sushi was average and the Tres Lechs desert seemed to be Sarah Lee frozen deserts. With the expectations prior I felt they lost in my perception. However the food quality was the experience was solidified by phenomenal service. Really a gem of a waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great findoutstandingVIPDined on 1/17/2014We were in Orlando to visit my mother in law and were trying to find a restaurant in Downtown Orlando that had options for both her and us. The menu was so interesting and varied and we were able to please all three of us. The wine selections were fantastic and the entrees were each prepared with fresh ingredients. We finished the meal with a hot brownie with chocolate sauce and loved this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I dined at Funky Monkey WineOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/31/2013I dined at Funky Monkey Wine Company on New Year's Eve. They had a special menu for the occasion with great sounding offerings. While there, another patron sent back her dish. The stuffed avocado appetizer that my date and I had was really good. The entrees however were sub-par. My scallops were luke-warm, and my date's steak flavoring was not impressive. We still enjoyed the experience however. Good wines.
- Declining over timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013New Year's Eve was my boyfriend and my 5th visit to this restaurant. The first time we went, we thought it was wonderful and we left raving about pretty much everything. Since then it has just gone downhill. When we arrived on NYE not only did it take several minutes for the host to seat us, but the bread came without plates, and the both entrees came out rare (filet and duck). Even after sending them back, only duck was edible. We gave up on the filet and requested scallops instead, which was mediocre at best. The only staff who seemed to care about our bad experience was our waiter who comped us 2 glasses of bubbly. I feel that it is completely unacceptable that no manager ever even apologized for the terrible experience.
- Amazing divorceJeremyDined on 12/14/2013In our party of 8 there was 5 adults and 3 children all if whom loved the messy divorce sushi! That was the highlight of the evening, along with the amazing help from Anoop. Very knowledgable about wines and all the food listed. Had great dinners. And excellent wine recommendations. Will advise everyone to stop in and get a messy divorce!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great dinner. Lots ofMikeDined on 11/16/2013Had a great dinner. Lots of food well prepared. Great service. They gave my wife cake and ice cream since it was her birthday. The appetizers are large so one is enough for 2 people. Soup was great. Will be back.Special Features:
- What's there to say....MarcDined on 11/1/2013Funky Monkey is absolutely fabulous. Have always felt this way and have never been disappointed! Great food, great staff - an all around Great Restaurant!!Special Features:
- Half price sushi MondaysTehwickedDined on 10/14/2013Is just awesome. Great selection and the wait staff, while just a bit slow, was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Menu for the seasonsLonnDined on 10/8/2013Great Menu and delicious food in a quiet atmosphere. I wish my neighborhood had a place like Funking Monkey on Mills. My friends enjoyed every aspect of the meal. Recommend it highly.Special Features:
- ServiceSelleyDined on 9/28/2013So my family and I went to the funky monkey for dinner. The food Was great but the service however was mediocre. Our Server only offered us wine and beer to drink. My parents and grandparents Don't drink alcohol. It wasn't until after getting our appetizers were we aware that They had soda to offer. That was a turn off for me as a guest. After our appetizers were cleared it took about half and hour to get our Main course which I thought was kind of long seeing as the restaurant wasn't completely full.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothing specialchuckVIPDined on 9/21/2013The Wine List Is just Ok, The Appetizers Were Good Along With The Deserts. The Main Course Was Just Ok. We Went During Restaurant Week, So Maybe They Were Cutting Corners. I Was Expecting Better.
- Chef Gordon Ramsay HELPLawrenceDined on 9/20/2013A total disappointment The place was empty, only 4 full tables on a Friday night at 7PM never a good sign We ordered 2008 bottle of wine no presentation she just opened it and poured. My friend John said, ‘not as good as I remembered it’ looked at the bottle and it was a 2010. in wine 2 years makes a different. Then the food finally came (over an hour later). My fish was dry and overcooked. I took two bites out of it and told the server, she took it away and the manager came back and said your fish was fine, we tasted it and you’re not getting a new one or the old on either, here is your bill. I spent $35.00 for an avocado appetizer and two bites of fish. I am not telling anyone not to go there but when you do “Remember it is own fault”
- Our reservation was for 6:30pmAllieumpaVIPDined on 9/16/2013Our reservation was for 6:30pm and we did not get our entrees until 8pm and then part of the order was incorrect. Seemed to only be one person in the kitchen and not enough servers.
- Not what I had hoped forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2013Service was attentive and very good. The wine list selections were not what I would expect for a restaurant entitled a "wine co". Fish entree was good nothing spectacular. Orange chicken was sub par with rubbery meat.