1303 Westwood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90024Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fundamental-la.com/
- Phone: (310) 444-7581
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Philip Pretty
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bring fundamental LA's delicious, market-inspired, lovingly made sandwiches to your office or event. We have a variety of sandwich, salad, side, and beverage packages to fulfill any needs you have, whether for a small gathering of 8, or a large event for 400 or more. Let us know what you're looking for, and we'll deliver straight to your meeting or event!
- Private Party Facilities: Whether celebrating with family and friends, or hosting a larger holiday party, we are capable of crafting custom menus across a wide range of budgets to create occasions that you’ll remember. Our experienced events team will coordinate everything so you can relax and enjoy your event.
- Private Party Contact: Jeffrey 8664260263
- Special Events: Fundamental LA provides a range of catering services for any size event in any location, including: passed and stationary appetizers/hors d’oeuvres, corporate networking events, buffet breakfasts, lunches, or dinners, private home Chef tastings, cooking instructions, weddings, and much more.
We are capable of crafting custom menus across a wide range of budgets to create occasions that you’ll remember. Our experienced catering team will coordinate everything from rentals, linens, decorations, floral arrangements, and staffing, so you can relax and enjoy your event.
A word from fundamental LA
Produce inspired by the seasons, lovingly cooked using exacting techniques to bring the best out of the ingredients, and paired with thoughtfully sourced beer and wine from our favorite regions.Continued
Through the food, the wine, and the experience, we've tried to create a place where we'd want to dine with good friends.
We hope you feel the same.
Through the food, the wine, and the experience, we've tried to create a place where we'd want to dine with good friends.
We hope you feel the same.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
fundamental LA - Best Restaurants in Westwood ›
fundamental LA reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (28)notable wine list (12)special occasion (11)hot spot (7)great for lunch (6)good for groups (4)late-night find (3)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Dime a dozen in LAOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/12/2014This is a 2 scallops/$17 sort of place. My party of 6 tried everything on the tasting menu. Venison, pork belly and carrot cake were good but everything was mediocre. Service wa sporadically slow but very sweet. Didn't receive a heads up that 20% gratuity was going to be added to my bill or a large party so I double tipped. Wouldn't go again and wouldn't recommend it.
- Exceptional Value and QualityThalloDined on 11/7/2014Blown away by the conceptual and execution quality of every dish we got. All four courses were well balanced with not only their flavor profiles but also texturally. The $40 4 course meal is an absolute steal with the entrees alone being worth $25 an up. The crab "salad" in the first course is a perfect balance of fresh crisp bites, flavorful sauces, and just the right amount of citrus. The "Lambchetta" was as creative as it was delicious, and once again with tremendous textural balance. Both the Venison and Duck entree's were easily $25-$35 quality, although the Duck was cooked slightly better with the venison coming in a little under for my taste (requested medium rare +)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatArissabrightVIPDined on 11/7/2014Food was delicious and well made. However portions were rather small and the staff had a rather "I don't care" attitude. Location was loud and cramped. The food stood out, but honestly there are several places in this city where you could get as good a meal in much better ambiance.Special Features:
- Everything was awesome!eater88Dined on 11/6/2014I did the tasting menu which was 4 courses for $39, super reasonable for the level of food this kitchen puts out! Everything was beautifully presented and delicious. The wine was delicious and the staff was knowledgeable when I asked for a suggestion! I will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- A Serendipitous Find!EuvitesVIPDined on 11/4/2014A short walk from my Westwood hotel, a thoughtful and well-priced wine list with flight options, farm-to-table, nose-to-tail, open kitchen, delicious AND artfully presented cuisine, superb venison (one of my faves), cheese course offering, and kind and generous staff. What on earth else does anyone need/want??? GO!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/30/2014My wife and I went here for our 10 year anniversary. Food was fantastic especially the carrot cake! We would definitely go here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good PlaceDaDinerDined on 10/22/2014Interesting flavor combinations and worth a shot. Excellent wine pairings. The plates were very small, however, and we were still a little hungry afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bursting with FlavorOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/21/2014Small plates that don't need to be bigger because the taste is already huge. Good local craft beer selection. A lot of European wines which were a mystery to me, and I didn't have confidence in the server to inquire further. Excellent carrot risotto and steak tartare. good cheeses. below average gnocchi. Very expensive but very good. I ate an average amt. with beer and wine. My girlfriend barely ate anything with one glass of wine. No dessert for either of us. Bill with 20% tip: $155. It's too small a place to feel comfortable, and the conversation next to me--I wasn't just hearing it--it felt as though it was actually in my ear. From this experience I will remember mostly the incredible food.Special Features:
- splendidPjudyDined on 10/16/2014The 3 course meal had wonderful components, each one maybe better than the next. Noisy.Special Features:
- CAP findSandyjkVIPDined on 10/11/2014Fundamental caters the Member lounge at CAP UCLA (Center for the Art of Performance) so we were familiar with their offerings. The restaurant serves small plates, the current trend, that are presented beautifully and imaginatively. They are also delicious and each one is enough for two. They are a bit pricey and you can get a discount if you show a ticket to a performance at UCLA.Special Features:
- Love the menu!KathDined on 10/11/2014We have eaten here twice and both times had the tasting menu, the portions are perfect size, not too much food. The food was not only delish,but beautifully presented! I'm looking forward to my next meal here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great tasting menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/8/2014service and food were great. the place can get a bit noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet and intimateDiner49erDined on 10/4/2014Happened on this little gem by a simple web search and will definitely be back. Intimate atmosphere, delectable food. Do the tasting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute local spot!wino2Dined on 10/3/2014This place is getting better with time. The menu is continually changing to keep current with local produce and season. The food is great, and the wine list is also excellent. The young staff are all very sweet and attentive, and I always love going there. Parking is a little tough if you get there too late, but there is a lot of street parking.Special Features:
- FundamentalTexsonDined on 10/3/2014Small and lively. All three dined with the tasting menu trying all recommendations of our waiter so we were able to enjoy a variety of the dishes. All were done well but the best was dessert. The churros are off the charts. Portions are small prompting one to think about hitting up papa johns next door for a take out pizza when exiting the valet parking. Service was prompt and friendly. the wine list is well chosen. dining in the back of the restaurant is preferredSpecial Features:
- third time - still greatGBC8Dined on 9/26/2014we had 8 dishes - all were very good, from the tartar and grilled octopus, to the risotto, thru to the best churros in human history.Special Features:
- DisappointingnottoopickyDined on 9/26/2014Went to Fundamental before a concert at Royce Hall, primarily because the CAP UCLA website features the restaurant as a "dining partner" who offers a 20 percent discount to same day ticket holders. When we arrived there were only a couple of tables occupied so we were seated promptly. That's where the prompt service ended. Waited about 5 minutes for the server to bring us menus, during which time the two tables on either side of us were seated. From that point on, while our neighbors were well taken care of, we were virtually ignored. Our meals came about 45 minutes after we sat down, during which time our neighbors had eaten, paid their checks and left! On top of that, we were informed that there wasn't any discount for CAP UCLA events!Special Features:
- OutstandingMarkmanVIPDined on 9/20/2014What wonderful and inventive food..... 4 course tasting menu was a great value and each course was delicious. Don't blink or you can miss the location as it is very small, but keep you eyes open to find this gem! The hour and a half drive to get here and hour drive home were well worth the trip through LA traffic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a treatluv2dineDined on 9/6/2014second time here and the food is always amazing - flavorful, presented beautifully, perfect portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food!GoldenLeicaDined on 8/29/2014The food is inventive and very fresh. We had a party of four doing the $39 tasting menu. With that, you choose 1 out of 5 of each of 3 courses plus a choice of dessert. I especially liked the summer salad, the spinach tortellini, and the monkfish with potato risotto. The only drawback are the hard benches. Next time I'm bringing a pillow. Great addition to the Westwood area. They also are set up to do catering for UCLA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suggestionconaisseurDined on 8/27/2014our waiter was overly attentive particularly pressing for us to take the prix fixe tasting menu which of course was more than we wanted to spend for the dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodjcoyDined on 8/23/2014Really enjoyed the food here. The service was a bit slow, but alright for a Saturday night. It's not cool that if one person orders the tasting menu then everyone else does as well. Please change that. This is the only establishment I know of that does this, so we ordered less food overall because of that. i do like that happy hour is extended to the weekends. Thank you!Special Features:
- Excellent foodDrFusoVIPDined on 8/22/2014Had dinner with a group of friends and opted for the tasting menu. The food was delicious and the tasting menu for $39 pp is very reasonable. All dishes were thoughtfully crafted and very flavorful. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findchephstephVIPDined on 8/13/2014My cousin heard about this small restaurant in Westwood, and we went early after a movie. We sat at the counter and watched the chef and his sous chefs work. It was really amazing, because it's a small kitchen and a small restaurant. The food is excellent farm to table food. We had the prix fixe dinner, which was almost too much to eat, so we were able to taste 8 delicious items including an outstanding scallop and pork dish, and a "lambchetta" as well as a corn soup that tasted like liquid buttered corn. The chef lovingly added all of the garnishes before each dish went out. We really enjoyed our dinner, although we needed to be rolled out the door.Special Features:
- Heaven!GourmetGalVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food at this place is off the charts delicious! I am definitely a food snob and was bowled over. My one criticism was the wooden bench seats (they do have backs) which were UNCOMFORTABLE! But I would eat here again in a heartbeat and bring a cushion! How could I not have known about this place for the several years it has been open? Service could not have been better. They have a prix fixe for under $40 or around $50 with wine that is the deal of the century. There's also an a la carte menu. We will definitely be back. BTW, we were forewarned about the noise in back,so requested a table up front. Small, but a gem!Special Features:
- The following 103 reviews are from the fundamental LA reviews archive.
- Carrot loverPrezwhateverVIPDined on 7/26/2014The carrot risotto was the highlight of an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!AmirVIPDined on 7/25/2014Had a great experience with the food, tried few different dishes among a group and everything was so delicious. In addition to taste, fabulous presentation. Service was good, but has to step up to match food quality. Very nice servers though. Will go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but really noisypoohlala1Dined on 7/25/2014This small restaurant was hopping when four of us had dinner on a Friday at 7:00. With only hard surfaces (concrete floors, wooden benches/seats, no art on the walls etc.) there's nothing to muffle sound and we could barely hold a conversation. The menu (small plates or medium-sized entrees) is imaginative/changes frequently and although there are not a lot of choices, everything was delicious, esp. the kung pao octopus, steak tartare, and dessert churros with butterscotch sauce. Prices are moderately high considering the portion sizes. Ex: baby artichoke w/buratta was tasty but tiny & about $15. Note that there's not a full bar, only beer and wine -- again, a well-curated but limited selection. It's probably best to go mid-week.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 7/24/2014fresh ingredients; great wine pairing; great vaule especially with dine la pricing.Special Features:
- Great food amid the lousy noiseMissWonderful1Dined on 7/24/2014Why do restaurants understand the importance of good food and service, but seemingly forget the crucial fact of ambience? When the noise level in a restaurant precludes you from sharing thoughts of the meal (or any other conversation) with the person you're dining with, something is lost, especially in a small space like Fundamental's. It's too bad, because the food is very good, but we can't highly recommend because of the noise. Restaurants often have tight decorating budgets, but if they insist on concrete floors and no soundproofing of any kind it doesn't matter how good the food is. Surely, it can't cost that much to throw a bit of carpet down or some other type of soundproofing. Please consider it!Special Features:
- high class food, 'student' settinghardtopleaseVIPDined on 7/23/2014The food is really inventive and delicious. Modern food but without being over- salted that so many young chefs seem to practice these days. It's a very small place, get a table at the front of the room because the back is hot, dingy and even more noisy than the front. Minimalist decor means bare concrete walls, floor and ceilings so the noise is unpleasant. Bring earplugs! But overall the food trumps the inconveniences.Special Features:
- delicioushnbkDined on 7/23/2014Went with a group and tried a bunch of dishes for dineLA. All good, but the standouts were steak tartare, duck breast, agnolotti, albacore, kanpachi. Looking forward to the next visit!Special Features:
- ChefpsbDined on 7/22/2014I read about the chef in the LA Times food section this past Saturday. A wonderful place, with exciting food, and a highly individual wine list. Out of the ordinary wines, and the two I had, a white and a red, were great. Food was terrific. We enjoyed six dishes, all superb: roasted fennel, baby artichokes, Duck breast, pork belly, beef tartare, and kampachi sashimi ---exceptional. The kampachi, artichokes and duck were standouts. But all of the dishes were cooked perfectly, and presented appealingly. I have already recommended this to family. And my wife and I plan to come back very soon. We are very excited to find the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VG Food/Ear Protection RequiredLove2EatDined on 7/19/2014We ordered the tasting menu with wine pairing. The food was very good but all 6 glasses arrived at once with each glass marked for the plate that was ordered. Our server was very attentive but had no idea what wine she was serving were it not for the marked glasses. We were at the bar so real estate was at a premium. The kitchen is crazy small but remarkably effiicent. The sound level was very high. I would return for the food but it's not a place to go if you want to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a real treat:OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014our meal was a feast for the eyes and the stomach!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GooglegirlVIPDined on 7/12/2014Food was inventive, farm fresh and delicious. We really enjoyed ourselves and plan to go back soon. Don't miss the melon soup- outstanding!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pretentious yet delicious dinnerfoodie2shoesDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed the food options on the seasonal dinner menu and everything our party of four had was delicious; however, serving sizes were tiny considering the server told us the dishes were served 'family style.' Many rules kept us from fully enjoying the entire dining experience. Certain wines were closed, literally, once the happy hour was over. Why wouldn't a restaurant want to make money serving wine to a diner, even for a more expensive price, even if it's after a certain time on the clock? We all opted for water after that. The server himself was pretentious to our questions and seemed annoyed that we didn't 'get it.' No salt/pepper on the table means the chefs don't want anyone self-seasoning.Special Features:
- scallops rockjavagaloreDined on 6/14/2014The service was great, informative but not intrusive. All of the plates that we sampled were excellent. From the brioche to the beet salad, the carrot risotto topped off with a delicious scallop dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED IT!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Wonderful food, beautifully presented and an absolute blast to sample varieties of items especially with a group.Special Features:
- Exquisite cuisine, simple settingLuvDiningOutVIPDined on 6/10/2014A tiny, sharp and simply stylish restaurant with beautifully presented and deliciously prepared cuisine. Reasonably priced for the gastronomical quality of the food. Very friendly and capable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.