1303 Westwood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90024Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fundamental-la.com/
- Phone: 310-444-7581x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Philip Pretty
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Bring fundamental LA's delicious, market-inspired, lovingly made sandwiches to your office or event. We have a variety of sandwich, salad, side, and beverage packages to fulfill any needs you have, whether for a small gathering of 8, or a large event for 400 or more. Let us know what you're looking for, and we'll deliver straight to your meeting or event!
- Special Events: Fundamental LA provides a range of catering services for any size event in any location, including: passed and stationary appetizers/hors d’oeuvres, corporate networking events, buffet breakfasts, lunches, or dinners, private home Chef tastings, cooking instructions, weddings, and much more.
We are capable of crafting custom menus across a wide range of budgets to create occasions that you’ll remember. Our experienced catering team will coordinate everything from rentals, linens, decorations, floral arrangements, and staffing, so you can relax and enjoy your event.
A word from fundamental LA
Produce inspired by the seasons, lovingly cooked using exacting techniques to bring the best out of the ingredients, and paired with thoughtfully sourced beer and wine from our favorite regions.Continued
Through the food, the wine, and the experience, we've tried to create a place where we'd want to dine with good friends.
We hope you feel the same.
Through the food, the wine, and the experience, we've tried to create a place where we'd want to dine with good friends.
We hope you feel the same.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
fundamental LA - Best Restaurants in Westwood ›
fundamental LA reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (31)special occasion (10)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (8)good for groups (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (3)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OutstandingMarkmanVIPDined on 9/20/2014What wonderful and inventive food..... 4 course tasting menu was a great value and each course was delicious. Don't blink or you can miss the location as it is very small, but keep you eyes open to find this gem! The hour and a half drive to get here and hour drive home were well worth the trip through LA traffic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a treatluv2dineDined on 9/6/2014second time here and the food is always amazing - flavorful, presented beautifully, perfect portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food!GoldenLeicaDined on 8/29/2014The food is inventive and very fresh. We had a party of four doing the $39 tasting menu. With that, you choose 1 out of 5 of each of 3 courses plus a choice of dessert. I especially liked the summer salad, the spinach tortellini, and the monkfish with potato risotto. The only drawback are the hard benches. Next time I'm bringing a pillow. Great addition to the Westwood area. They also are set up to do catering for UCLA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suggestionconaisseurDined on 8/27/2014our waiter was overly attentive particularly pressing for us to take the prix fixe tasting menu which of course was more than we wanted to spend for the dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodjcoyDined on 8/23/2014Really enjoyed the food here. The service was a bit slow, but alright for a Saturday night. It's not cool that if one person orders the tasting menu then everyone else does as well. Please change that. This is the only establishment I know of that does this, so we ordered less food overall because of that. i do like that happy hour is extended to the weekends. Thank you!Special Features:
- Excellent foodDrFusoDined on 8/22/2014Had dinner with a group of friends and opted for the tasting menu. The food was delicious and the tasting menu for $39 pp is very reasonable. All dishes were thoughtfully crafted and very flavorful. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findchephstephVIPDined on 8/13/2014My cousin heard about this small restaurant in Westwood, and we went early after a movie. We sat at the counter and watched the chef and his sous chefs work. It was really amazing, because it's a small kitchen and a small restaurant. The food is excellent farm to table food. We had the prix fixe dinner, which was almost too much to eat, so we were able to taste 8 delicious items including an outstanding scallop and pork dish, and a "lambchetta" as well as a corn soup that tasted like liquid buttered corn. The chef lovingly added all of the garnishes before each dish went out. We really enjoyed our dinner, although we needed to be rolled out the door.Special Features:
- Heaven!GourmetGalVIPDined on 8/8/2014The food at this place is off the charts delicious! I am definitely a food snob and was bowled over. My one criticism was the wooden bench seats (they do have backs) which were UNCOMFORTABLE! But I would eat here again in a heartbeat and bring a cushion! How could I not have known about this place for the several years it has been open? Service could not have been better. They have a prix fixe for under $40 or around $50 with wine that is the deal of the century. There's also an a la carte menu. We will definitely be back. BTW, we were forewarned about the noise in back,so requested a table up front. Small, but a gem!Special Features:
- Carrot loverPrezwhateverVIPDined on 7/26/2014The carrot risotto was the highlight of an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food!AmirVIPDined on 7/25/2014Had a great experience with the food, tried few different dishes among a group and everything was so delicious. In addition to taste, fabulous presentation. Service was good, but has to step up to match food quality. Very nice servers though. Will go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but really noisypoohlala1Dined on 7/25/2014This small restaurant was hopping when four of us had dinner on a Friday at 7:00. With only hard surfaces (concrete floors, wooden benches/seats, no art on the walls etc.) there's nothing to muffle sound and we could barely hold a conversation. The menu (small plates or medium-sized entrees) is imaginative/changes frequently and although there are not a lot of choices, everything was delicious, esp. the kung pao octopus, steak tartare, and dessert churros with butterscotch sauce. Prices are moderately high considering the portion sizes. Ex: baby artichoke w/buratta was tasty but tiny & about $15. Note that there's not a full bar, only beer and wine -- again, a well-curated but limited selection. It's probably best to go mid-week.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 7/24/2014fresh ingredients; great wine pairing; great vaule especially with dine la pricing.Special Features:
- Great food amid the lousy noiseMissWonderful1Dined on 7/24/2014Why do restaurants understand the importance of good food and service, but seemingly forget the crucial fact of ambience? When the noise level in a restaurant precludes you from sharing thoughts of the meal (or any other conversation) with the person you're dining with, something is lost, especially in a small space like Fundamental's. It's too bad, because the food is very good, but we can't highly recommend because of the noise. Restaurants often have tight decorating budgets, but if they insist on concrete floors and no soundproofing of any kind it doesn't matter how good the food is. Surely, it can't cost that much to throw a bit of carpet down or some other type of soundproofing. Please consider it!Special Features:
- high class food, 'student' settinghardtopleaseVIPDined on 7/23/2014The food is really inventive and delicious. Modern food but without being over- salted that so many young chefs seem to practice these days. It's a very small place, get a table at the front of the room because the back is hot, dingy and even more noisy than the front. Minimalist decor means bare concrete walls, floor and ceilings so the noise is unpleasant. Bring earplugs! But overall the food trumps the inconveniences.Special Features:
- delicioushnbkDined on 7/23/2014Went with a group and tried a bunch of dishes for dineLA. All good, but the standouts were steak tartare, duck breast, agnolotti, albacore, kanpachi. Looking forward to the next visit!Special Features:
- ChefpsbDined on 7/22/2014I read about the chef in the LA Times food section this past Saturday. A wonderful place, with exciting food, and a highly individual wine list. Out of the ordinary wines, and the two I had, a white and a red, were great. Food was terrific. We enjoyed six dishes, all superb: roasted fennel, baby artichokes, Duck breast, pork belly, beef tartare, and kampachi sashimi ---exceptional. The kampachi, artichokes and duck were standouts. But all of the dishes were cooked perfectly, and presented appealingly. I have already recommended this to family. And my wife and I plan to come back very soon. We are very excited to find the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VG Food/Ear Protection RequiredLove2EatDined on 7/19/2014We ordered the tasting menu with wine pairing. The food was very good but all 6 glasses arrived at once with each glass marked for the plate that was ordered. Our server was very attentive but had no idea what wine she was serving were it not for the marked glasses. We were at the bar so real estate was at a premium. The kitchen is crazy small but remarkably effiicent. The sound level was very high. I would return for the food but it's not a place to go if you want to talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a real treat:OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014our meal was a feast for the eyes and the stomach!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GooglegirlDined on 7/12/2014Food was inventive, farm fresh and delicious. We really enjoyed ourselves and plan to go back soon. Don't miss the melon soup- outstanding!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pretentious yet delicious dinnerfoodie2shoesDined on 6/21/2014We enjoyed the food options on the seasonal dinner menu and everything our party of four had was delicious; however, serving sizes were tiny considering the server told us the dishes were served 'family style.' Many rules kept us from fully enjoying the entire dining experience. Certain wines were closed, literally, once the happy hour was over. Why wouldn't a restaurant want to make money serving wine to a diner, even for a more expensive price, even if it's after a certain time on the clock? We all opted for water after that. The server himself was pretentious to our questions and seemed annoyed that we didn't 'get it.' No salt/pepper on the table means the chefs don't want anyone self-seasoning.Special Features:
- scallops rockjavagaloreDined on 6/14/2014The service was great, informative but not intrusive. All of the plates that we sampled were excellent. From the brioche to the beet salad, the carrot risotto topped off with a delicious scallop dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED IT!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Wonderful food, beautifully presented and an absolute blast to sample varieties of items especially with a group.Special Features:
- Exquisite cuisine, simple settingLuvDiningOutVIPDined on 6/10/2014A tiny, sharp and simply stylish restaurant with beautifully presented and deliciously prepared cuisine. Reasonably priced for the gastronomical quality of the food. Very friendly and capable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple but great foodduck998rVIPDined on 6/7/2014At first we were what did we get our-self into but To Be honest the food was amazing. The Pork Belly was the best dish of the night. Con was the parking.Special Features:
- deedeeDined on 5/24/2014Loved the food - especially the desserts!!! The parking can be difficult.Special Features:
- The following 86 reviews are from the fundamental LA reviews archive.
- ArtfulfoodjazzDined on 5/21/2014We had the tasting menu which was a great value for the amazing dishes that were served. Unique ingredients and flavors were perfectly prepared and artfully presented.Special Features:
- Never Disappointschris2145Dined on 5/20/2014We took 6 friends who were visiting from out of town - every one of them (and us) were so impressed with the food. It's always delicious, the service is terrific and you never leave disappointed! Thank you Fundamental.Special Features:
- Best food on the West SideHolmbyHillsDinerVIPDined on 5/17/2014This is truly a neighborhood gem--the food is seasonal, prepared to order, impeccably done, and served in a, edited, casual and friendly atmosphere. The wine list is unusual and works very well with the food. The menu rotates seasonally, and there is always something exciting and unexpected. This is a place you can come and have a great meal at the counter--even good for one if you just stop in. We have become devoted regulars and everyone we introduce to this restaurant love it. (Best kept secret: fantastic catered lunches also--and they will deliver locally!) Highly recommend!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousebinsmDined on 5/6/2014We ate ourselves silly. All of it was good and all of it was interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit not so greatLeoinSFVIPDined on 4/22/2014The tuna crudo was the smallest portion ever relative to the price, and the housemade papardelle pasta was delicious, but the ingredients did not marry well with the pasta itself. Also, the portion was quite skimpy. A little disappointed with the inattentive service second time around.Special Features:
- FoodE55VIPDined on 4/16/2014Tasting menu was a great option for our party of 4 to try just about everything! Excellent food and creative!Special Features:
- Delicious but too loud and crowdedkateDined on 4/2/2014We generally had a great meal but the place was too crowded, with folks standing right behind our table. It felt cramped. The asparagus and one seafood dish were not great but everything else was deliciousSpecial Features:
- Creative menu; superb executionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2014I only hesitate to review because we want to keep out neighborhood oasis available. But it really isn't to be missed. Creative menu, super service (some of the nicest people in the business!) a fun way of eating (shared plates with paired wines). I was going to say stay with the fish (bass in particular) but my husband has had the duck and the pork and raved. Sufficient vegetarian options. My only negatives which won't impact your experience: I still don't understand the tagliatelle with the octopus (feels like about 3 different dishes on one plate). The desserts are minimal and pale compared to the meal but I guess people need the sweet at the end. Madeira flight seems to make it all worthwhile though. Go. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gem!LeoinSFVIPDined on 3/18/2014Practically hidden, this quiet little spot for a first date, casual business dinner, or just a weekday treat is a wonderful find. In the farm-to-table style, this restaurant exceeds expectations and does so with a flair. As an SF foodie, I was impressed to enjoy the warm beet salad, and certainly the delicious brussel sprouts. The duck breast dish was a little skimpy on the portions, but tasty nonetheless. The carrot risotto was also to die for. And an impressive staff knowledgeable of their wines was able to let us sample a few before we selected - kudos to our friendly waitress, a smart move that encourages us to keep on drinking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced and saltyJamyDined on 2/14/2014Apparently the new trend in "artisian bistro gourmet" or whatever is to oversalt the food until it's nearly inedible. And then charge a premium for it. The sea bass tasted like salty cardboard. The carrot risotto tasted like salty baby food. The beets were unsalted, hooray! But ironically they were so overcooked that what they really needed was just a little salt. And then the bill came and our stomach-unsettling meal of salt with an assortment of sides was about $50 per person. Plastic chairs, crowded tables that you have to squeeze through, no table cloths. Overall, I think the manager and cooks are failing to capture the 'fundamentals' of operating a restaurant.Special Features:
- delicious small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/5/2014The 3 of us had dinner and went with the tasting menu ($35 for 3 courses + dessert) so we got to taste a lot of different dishes. Everything was DELICIOUS! Favorites included the pee wee potatos, charred octopus, brussel sprouts, carrot risotto and duck. Staff was super-friendly. New neighborhood favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were sat nearly 40 minutesrfs1Dined on 1/31/2014We were sat nearly 40 minutes after our reservation and the restaurant was pretty unapologetic. The restaurant did not even comp a drink or appetizer while we waited. The food was a tad on the salty side. The gnocchi was odd, and the short rib stew was not a stew, but shortib surrounded by broth. My friend and I were on the fence about ever coming back. The broccolini and cheese plate were lovely, but the rest of our entrees were mediocre. The sound level was pretty loud and it was difficult to hear the server let alone hear my friend. Some of the other patrons commented on the noise and saltiness of the food. Not sure whether it is worth giving it a second try.
- Five star food in a "cozy" roomLAPilotDined on 1/25/2014The food is excellent and is you would think this was food being prepared and served at the top end five star restaurants. The room is small so all the tables are quite close together which makes the dining experience "intimate" or "cozy" with ALL the diners. As long as you are comfortable with this, then you can't get this quality food for the same reasonable prices anywhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When we arrived, we checkedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/24/2014When we arrived, we checked in with the hostess. She said okay and then didn't give us or other groups any instruction. I finally had to ask her if we should wait here for a while. We ended up waiting about 10 minutes for our table to clear out. Our waitress was okay, but our bus boy and servers were great. We ordered several plates and shared. We ordered two dishes too many. beets & burrata 5 (classic) crispy pee wee potatoes 5 (great dipping sauce) liver jar 2 (not enough flavor and served with too much bread) Asian seafood pizza 3 (too salty) scotish salmon 5 (cooked perfectly and great accompaniments) prok tenderloin 4 (very tender) short rib stew 2 (too salty and more of a broth with rib in it) churros with butterscotch 5
- Excellent small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/24/2014I have eaten here several times, and the food is always excellent. They have creative seasonal small plates and a nicely curated wine and beer list. It's a little more expensive than I would prefer, so I reserve it for special occasion meals or restaurant week, during which it has a great reasonably priced tasting menu. In addition to the food, the service has always been very good. It's a small, minimalist space with an open kitchen so you can watch the chefs prepare your food, especially if you are seated at the bar. However, this makes for a dining experience that is a little bit noisy and also fairly hot. If you don't mind this, it's a great place to eat a special meal. Definitely one of the best restaurants in Westwood.Special Features: