FuGaKyu Japanese Cuisine
1280 Beacon Street
Brookline, MA 02446Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
FuGaKyu Japanese Cuisine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fugakyu.net/
- Phone: 6177381268
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 3:00pm - 1:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: James Lee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer experienced sushi chef to make sushi at anywhere you desire such as clubhouse, hotel or residence. Some restrictions may apply and please contact 617-738-1268 for rate.
- Private Party Facilities: FuGaKyu offers several options for your next event. We have a booth with sliding doors for an intimate dinner, traditional tatami rooms requiring you to sit on the floor, and separate rooms for private or corporate functions. Come in today and let us show you a fulfilling Japanese dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Desmond Cheng 8882131277
A word from FuGaKyu Japanese Cuisine
FuGaKyu Japanese Cuisine is a unique Japanese restaurant located in the heart of Brookline, Massachusetts. Serving great dishes, such as authentic Japanese sushi and sashimi, you will enjoy a hearty meal that will delight your tastebuds and satisfy even the largest of appetites. Visit us today to experience what the rest of the town has been talking about! When you step through our restaurant doors, you will be immediately surrounded by a large collection of authentic Japanese decor. Combined with the delicious dishes, wonderful aromas, and outstanding service, you get a total dining experience. Established since 1998, our Japanese restaurant offers private rooms and daily specials for your dining enjoyment. We are a non-smoking restaurant. Come in today, enjoy the fresh air, and let your senses be mesmerized by the "scent-illating' aromas of our fine, Japanese cuisine. All of our exotic dishes are made of the freshest ingredients upon order, ensuring vibrant flavors.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
FuGaKyu Japanese Cuisine reviews from OpenTable diners
101 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (51)fit for foodies (50)neighborhood gem (38)special occasion (35)romantic (16)hot spot (13)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (8)notable wine list (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Requested a boothJefeJPDined on 10/25/2014I requested a booth because I wanted some privacy for conversation. Instead, we were given the most public table in the restaurant. The good was delicious, the service was fine. This table location was not.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why make a reservation?kmd1202Dined on 10/24/2014I had a reservation for a Friday night with my boyfriend, only to arrive and find out that the table was not ready. As we waited, I heard several other parties come in with reservations and were also told their tables were not ready; it seemed as though they had never experienced a dinner rush before. Once we sat down at a cramped two-top in a corner, we placed an appetizer order. It took a while to come out but the waiter brought us each some miso in the meantime. The table next to us had been waiting for a while it seemed, so they asked for the bill and to forget the food so they could just leave. That made me nervous - the food did take a while to come out, but it was very fresh and tasty. The service was a bit slow, but very nice.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceZachVIPDined on 10/24/2014This was the third time we've eaten here and will be our last. It took twenty minutes past our reservation to get a table, there was no valet as advertised, a trainee waiter (without an experienced shadow), plates that took nearly two hours to arrive, and "forgotten" selections from order. The manager was apologetic and did discount the meal, but it was an overall poor experience from a place that has been good in the past. Off night? I don't know, but I don't like to do repeat business and throw away good money to places in the hopes that they've improved. Lots of other greats in Boston.
- JOJOVIPDined on 10/24/2014I have been coming to FuGaKyu over the years since it has been opened but I must say, I was very disappointed this visit. The manager put us in a room on the third level that looked nothing like the rest of the Japanese decor downstairs. The service was slow and the food was just OK. It felt like a Disney production.Special Features:
- Best spicy tuna and eel maki rollsLoriK007Dined on 10/22/2014I've been to most of the "notable" sushi restaurants and bars, and honestly, Fugakyu never fails to deliver on freshness and consistency. Very good service, my past waiters have never given me the stink eye for extra ginger and wasabi. They never just throw a plate down and scuri off which I cannot stand. They're spicy tuna maki is to die for loaded with the right tuna and tempura ratio. Any of the rolls with eel are really fresh as well and go down smoothly, none of that muddy tasting garbage masked with a weird sauce. The entrees are pretty good too, I absolutely love the yaki noodles that are stir fried lo mein style. It's packed with REAL veggies with awesome texture. You won't find anywhere else in Boston that comes close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This restaurant is AMAZING!AnitaDined on 10/18/2014I come back again and again because the dining experience at this restaurant is the best! The sushi rolls are out of this world! Particularly the ones with fruit (mango or papaya). The food is delicious and the service is impeccable! Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another delicious meal from FugakyuHeagsDined on 10/18/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants so my husband and I decided to go to celebrate our anniversary. We requested a table downstairs in the bamboo section when we made the reservation. When we got there, at first they were going to seat us upstairs, but when I mentioned the request to sit in the nicer section, they readily accommodated us. The food was all delicious and the service and ambiance were great as well. Can't say enough good stuff about this place. definitely worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantNew2MADined on 10/9/2014I have eaten at two of FuGaKyu restaurants: Brookline & Sudbury. Both are excellent. The ambiance at Brookline is better. The food is about the same at the two. Everything is always at least very good and usually is excellent. I usually make a superb dinner from a selection of appetizers followed by a selection of sushi, but I also have ordered a "regular" dinner from time to time. Overall, I have found the appetizers-plus-sushi to be superior to a set dinner. They have nice variety of sake and give good advise on making a choice among the offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedBeefycakeDined on 10/3/2014It was quite expensive and not really the high end Japanese dining experience I was hoping forSpecial Features:
- great sushi and makiAnthonyVIPDined on 9/28/2014Still one of the very best sushi places in Boston (or anywhere)! We particularly like the baked salmon maki and the crazi maki, but it's all wonderful. The booths are wonderful as they provide privacy and shut out all ambient noise -- perfect for a group celebration of a special occasion or an important business meeting. The service is perfect - attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining ExperienceDRRQVIPDined on 9/17/2014Dinner at Fugakyu is always an enjoyable experience. Chef Hiro was, as always, amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualbackbayfoodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Still our favorite Sushi place in greater Boston. We got our table immediately and the service was great, as was the food.
- Best sushi in BostonAnthonyVIPDined on 9/6/2014The maki are truly outstanding here - fresh, expertly prepared, and delicious! Particularly special were the baked salmon maki and crazy maki (like a spicy shrimp tempura maki). The service is very attentive but not intrusive. On prior occasions, we've also very much enjoyed the rooms available for groups/parties, which make for a truly special occasion. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Food!AtticusDined on 9/5/2014The food was very good. Everyone was very professional except for one complaining employee out back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointingJillyDined on 9/5/2014I go to this restaurant at least 3 times a year. I've enjoyed the food, and getting a seat is usually pretty easy. However, this time the service was really poor. There were 5 of us and the meals came out piece meal. We had to ask where the miso soup was. They delivered the wrong meal to the wrong person. I'll mark this as an exception, because my experiences in the past have been good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!MalloryVIPDined on 9/5/2014We came here on a double date, and the food and ambiance were amazing. The restaurant is three stories and they have all kinds of seating, from the small private areas, to seats at the sushi bar. We were perfectly accommodated at a regular table for four as we had a wheelchair, and there was no issue with it. Service left some to be desired- Everyone ordered an appetizer but only one was brought as such. We sat awkwardly while the other couple ate theirs, and then we got our entrees and appetizers at the same time, which resulted in a bunch of plates on the table, and us having an extra course, while our friends just ate their entrees. Weird. I didn't realize that we ALL had to specify that we wanted our appetizers, as appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndreaDined on 8/31/2014Great sushi as always!! We got to sit in one of those private table/rooms (I've always wanted to sit there) and the service was great even though it was busy.Special Features:
- TGKG0317Dined on 8/29/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants.... Food is always so fresh, presentation is awesome!!!! So many great dishes to choose from....if you love fresh top quality food this is the place to go, you will not be disappointedSpecial Features:
- MikeDined on 8/27/2014I am a repeat diner at FuGaKyu and have always been delighted. I had a reservation for 3 but arrived with 6 and was gladly seated at a larger table without a wait. The ohitashi appetizer is superb. The sushi, both maki and nigiri, are absolutely fresh and delicious. Prices comparable to other high-quality sushi restaurants in the area. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014We're from California bringing our Son to BU for school. We came across FuGaKyu and had a nice sushi dinner. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Worthy experienceby1992Dined on 8/20/2014Great Omakase! Good to shared by two girls (who are not that hungry). Very tasty eel over rice, super filling. Amazing experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualOperettaVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great sashimi - both in taste and texture. Best hamachi Kama - crunchy skin, tasty and succulent meat. Unsurpassed service - attentive, efficient and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reasonable priceClownDined on 8/10/2014Various Japanese cuisine with reasonable price. I ate Unaju which was good for its price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinner SuccesscbarbieDined on 8/9/2014I'm a huge sushi fan. I was extremely pleased with the service here. I would go back anytime.Special Features:
- Good sushi, superb serviceEvyKVIPDined on 8/3/2014My sister and I came here for dinner a few weeks ago. We requested a private room in our reservation and were smoothly seated at one. Our server was kind and warm, and super patient as we poured over their extensive menu and asked many questions about their set entrees (which frustratingly they do not have a listing of the items, so they have to be read to you). We ordered 4 rolls and the duck. The duck was pretty good, but there was too much sauce. Overall, it was a fun time. I would recommend the cold dishes over the hot based on our experience.
- GreatLolaDined on 8/2/2014Probably the best Japanese restaurant I have been to in Boston. I loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/29/2014I was put upstairs in a hot area. When I asked about ac, I was told it didn't work very well but was never asked if I'd like to move to a cooler location downstairs. Think the server must have been new but the service was terrible. I ordered scallops she brought calamari. Waited for a long time to have scallops. Finally asked to have my plate back so the rest of my food would not go cold. It was one of the worst dining experiences I have had in years. The waitress told me the manager was going to come and talk to me but after waiting for what seemed like another eternity I left. I will not recommend this restaurant to any friends and family who come to visit me in Coolidge Corner.
- Good food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/27/2014We haven't gone there for a while and come back, I think the food taste good but with great company, it will taste even better.Special Features:
- Great LocationraviVIPDined on 7/26/2014Sushi was fantastic , not the best I have ever had but the best in Boston. Also , Michael our waiter was about the best person I have had at any location. He just got things done and was honest in recommendations. Made our time there perfect. The gyoza was excellent , didn't like the taco ashi trio and the Maki was fantastic. The only thing I was thrown off on was many places slice a paper thin piece of lemon on top of the maki for salmon and they cut huge wedges.
- Great sushi!ExcellentDined on 7/24/2014If you are looking for the best sushi in and around Boston, Fugakyu has it. Can't wait to go back. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2014As usual the food was outstanding. The atmosphere was great. For the first time in a long time anywhere the only issue was the service was so frequent it was intrusive. Attentive is fantastic but how frequently we were interrupted was comical.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best JapanesenksavageDined on 7/19/2014FuGaKyu is a place we go at least once a week for lunch. Very reasonable prices for great food! We've gone several times with friends for dinner and eaten off the broader menu. Very exciting and delicious food. I like variety but am easily put off by fish that's a little stale etc. This has NEVER happend at FuGaKyu. We've gone with Foodies who have returned multiple times on their own. The booths with the closing screens are great for those with hearing difficulties who often avoid popular restaurants because the ambient noise is intolerable. We've also had book clubs meet there--no problem. In short--wonderful food, flexible use, great staff, never disappointing.Special Features:
- johnDined on 7/12/2014sushi is among the best in Boston. this has been my go to spot for many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Japanese foodluv2dineDined on 7/7/2014The character of this restaurant is wonderful and the food is divine! The wait staff is friendly and attentive. This is a great place for a small, intimate meal or a larger gathering. Well worth it!Special Features:
- Big but pretty deliciousAycemanDined on 7/7/2014Based on the reviews I was surprised at the size of this restaurant with room after room. But the food was very tasty and well prepared. Lobster miso soup was delicious and the sushi while not world class was up there. Service was inexperienced (at least my server was) but very friendly. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MmmmmmmmmOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/6/2014Eaten here many times over the past 10 years and never had a problem. This time my reservation for a 1st floor table (because of my senior Mom) was overlooked. The did finally get me a first floor table. Unfortunately after we were seated we waited 10 minutes with no service. I had to go to the front of the restaurant to find out why no one was waiting on us. I have been a Loyal customer and continue unless this service issue continues. I am sure it was just someone's first night or something. FABULOUS food.Special Features:
- Super SushiOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/4/2014Another great night out at Fugakyu. Top rated sushi presented in an interesting arrangement of specialty rolls and prime cut sushi. Many excellent choices. Timing was perfect and our server was wonderfully seasoned and knew how to time everything just perfectly. Our night also came with seats in one of the private booths, which made our dining experience wonderful. Our teenaged son joined us on our adventure and made very lots of varied choices and we all can't wait to go back for another wonderful night out for excellent sushi.Special Features:
- The following 556 reviews are from the FuGaKyu Japanese Cuisine reviews archive.
- RozzieDined on 6/28/2014Great service. Excellent food. A lovely experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FavoriteMakeupGoddess26Dined on 6/25/2014One of my favorite restaurants in Brookline! Fantastic Japanese cuisine, large menu selection, authentic yet modern ambiance and two levels of seating to choose from. Good service, very accommodating for various dietary restrictions and wonderful sake list. Having just moved from the area, I would definitely return for this restaurant on date nights!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not kid-friendlymelijerVIPDined on 6/24/2014We were asked by the waiter to shut up or take for a walk our 1 year-old because she was disturbing the clients (she was playing, not even crying). If someone is complaining, why don't you offer them a change of seats? Our kid was not the only one in he restaurant and pretty sure not the first or last to be loud. On top of that, all our plates were decent... we were all so disappointed.