Fugakyu Japanese Cuisine Lynnfield
427 Walnut Street
Lynnfield, MA 01940Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
Fugakyu Japanese Cuisine Lynnfield
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fugakyu.net/
- Phone: 7813343833
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Japanese
- Executive Chef: Edward Leung
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: FuGaKyu offers several options for your next event. We have numerous booths with sliding doors for an intimate dinner, traditional tatami room requiring you to sit on the floor, and separate rooms for private or corporate functions. Whether you are a group of 5 or 60, come in today and let us show you a fulfilling Japanese dining experience.
- Private Party Contact: Jackie Wuttihamrong 7813343833x
A word from Fugakyu Japanese Cuisine Lynnfield
Enter this true House of Exquisite Elegance where fine cuisine isn’t just our business; it’s our passion. FuGaKyu"s extensive menu of traditional and nouveau Japanese cuisine, includes sushi, sashimi, tempura, as well as unique entrees rarely found outside of Japan. Our extensive sake list includes handmade sake imported from Japan. Our Lynnfield location is the largest Japanese restaurant in New England. Its two floors include a sushi bar, a cocktail bar, common dining areas, bamboo-enclosed booths, screened Tatami rooms and several private function rooms.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Fugakyu Japanese Cuisine Lynnfield reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (30)good for groups (25)special occasion (19)romantic (17)neighborhood gem (14)great for lunch (12)great for outdoor dining (11)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Terrific Japanese FoodBonnieDined on 10/18/2014We all tried different dishes (party of 4), and each of us loved everything! We had a private style room where you could close off the doors to the restaurant aisle. Unfortunately, our waitress for this evening was sub-par. We were celebrating a birthday (told her & was written in Open Table description) & nothing was ever mentioned or done. Server couldn't answer some of our questions about the good menu as well as the drinks. So, that was disappointing but the food is fabulous & we will definitely go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just so soRichVIPDined on 10/18/2014Very expensive. I did not think the menu was innovative or "modern" in terms of what is happening around Boston with other sushi restaurants.
- Outstanding food and service.DianeBeeDined on 10/15/2014We have been to the Brookline restaurat many times and were anxious to try the Lynnfield location because it is more convenient for us. We went on a Wednesday night and we were sorry to see that the restaurant wasn't too busy. The staff was welcoming, friendly and helpful and, as always, the food outstanding. We are delighted to have Fugakyu in our neighborhood!Special Features:
- Forget youFoodie23Dined on 10/10/2014My husband and I love sushi and we were disappointed. The rolls were too big to even eat so when we bit into them they fell apart. Where we were sitting they were showing a video if a woman visiting places where they caught the food to make sushi. They showed them cutting the eels and ripping the guts out. When waitress came back and my husband told her it was kind of gruesome she shrugged us off and said there was nothing she could do. Maybe this is why we lacked an appetite. Never going back
- Great dinnerLJKHDined on 10/10/2014We went here for the first time and were pleasantly surprised. The menu is extensive and the service was perfect.Special Features:
- Great sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014My wife has been wanting to try the sushi here for a while and she wasn't disappointed. The hot pot was also quite good. They bring a small burner to your table, put the pot with the broth on it, and you just cook your meal. The broth was delicious... and I even liked the tofu. The location (Market Street) was nice and quiet, plus it has great ambience at night. Our server, however, didn't smile once and was a little odd. But, overall a great place for sushi or a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Japanese DiningGoodfoodieDined on 9/30/2014Fresh, delicious Sushi, carefully prepared and beautifully presented. Dinner was a bit expensive, but not outrageously so. Beautiful restaurant with small private rooms. Easy parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice food but disappointing serviceJojoVIPDined on 9/27/2014Food was very good even though it took a while to receive it. Our service was disappointing. We had two different waiters come to our table to take our order. The waiter who ended up serving us had an attitude and seemed to have very little interest in helping us. He gave us just the highest priced sushi rolls when we asked about the most popular ones. He talked to us in a surly manner and was very defensive when one wife sent back a sashimi tuna appetizer that was not what she had ordered. This is the second time this waiter has given our family poor service. I am afraid to say that we will probably not be back again.Special Features:
- horriblesg888Dined on 9/27/2014Do not go here. Overpriced..25 dollars for 2 small pieces of steak and bowl of white rice that was dry. Worst japanese restaurant I have been to....never again.
- Good AtmospherecubawesomesauceDined on 9/24/2014As close to Authentic Japanese as I've found in the Metro Boston area. Friendly staff. Cool layout. Get a booth for great privacy (sliding doors). Sushi is great. Sashimi is also very authentically prepared.Special Features:
- Happy they are here!DaveVIPDined on 9/21/2014Finally a North shore option for fantastic sushi. They did not disappoint. Provate rooms were awesome.Special Features:
- wonderful experiencePatienceDined on 9/20/2014We dined with another couple and while we were disappointed that we didn't get seated in one of the booths with the doors that close, we were happy to see them seat several families with children in those booths and we barely heard a peep from them! The food was excellent and the service was great! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who enjoys good Japanese food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still working out kinks..ClassDined on 9/6/2014Great food- had a party of 9.. they seated us in a separate room with 4-5 other tables- the room was closed off by 3 walls and therefore it was very loud.. I could barely hear the people sitting right next to me. Even though they have been open for a while, drinks took about 10-15 minutes to get from our waitress whom previously warned us the bar was slow. When everyone got their meals, mine came out over 5 minutes later than the rest of my party-- no one addressed the fact that it was coming out very late (it was only shrimp teriyaki and white rice). Good food, but very pricey bill-- had better atmosphere at the brighton location because we were placed in a private room.Special Features:
- Outstanding!peaches1971Dined on 9/6/2014Really funky decor with private booths. Great selection of sushi and entrees!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/1/2014Went for our anniversary. we had a wonderful meal. we dined in the private room it was so great. next time we will go with friends as it is a perfect place to go with 4-6 people and enjoy all different food options. ALL the food was excellent and prepped perfectly. along with looking great it also tasted great. definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okaySandarellaVIPDined on 8/30/2014We were expecting Fugakyu to be high in the rankings.Beautiful location, decorated very nicely, friendly greeting, very bright. Our main dislike was the sushi was cut too big for one bite, unlike other sushi we enjoy at places like All Seasons Table in Malden (remains our #1), and we were mistakenly charged extra for hot mustard and ponzu sauce. They don't have duck sauce, but the other was tasty and different. Charge was removed. Wish server knew the menu better. We never take sushi home, but did end up taking several pieces home from this restaurant. It just wasn't worth the effort to eat it there. Nor at home as it turned out. Will we return? Not likely. I know of others who enjoyed their experience here but, for us, it was just okay.Special Features:
- Over priced for what was servedSBfoodreviewDined on 8/23/2014All courses were all thumbs down. We were very disappointed with the meal overall. The meal was extremely overpriced compared to what was delivered. Appetizer and one main course was over cooked and the ramen was the quality of microwave noodle soup. Dessert was not so impressive either.
- Great locationfrlunchDined on 8/22/2014Food was very good, service could have been a bit better though.I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okBobibosVIPDined on 8/22/2014I had high expectations for Fugakyu in Lynnfield, having loved the Brookline location for years. This was my second visit to the new restaurant - they may be working through some kinks, but from the Hostess stand to service, for both visits, they were lacking. Service was inconsistent both times, but with the current visit both the server and manager apologized, so that was good. There is no vibe to the restaurant, it's sort of blah. Food was decent, apps and entrees didn't come out consistently and servers were not very good about following up for drinks, etc. Overall, I wouldn't be rushing back. Sushi is good so I'd go for that, but overall disappointing.Special Features:
- Great locationRaltoDined on 8/22/2014Glad to have this great sushi restaurant so close to home. The service and the food were excellent. Everything was so fresh and our server was very attentive. We will definitely be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!SuzyQ34Dined on 8/20/2014The sushi was delicious; very fresh and beautifully prepared. The service was also excellent. Because we hadn't been to Fugakyu before, our server described the different rolls and helped us select our food. The ambience was very calm, especially since it was a quiet Wednesday night and there were few diners sitting in our section. A great experience overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedLovetoeatDined on 8/18/2014This was a big let down. Expectations were high because the reputation. Menu was large and server offered no guidance. Many options were quite expensive, and though I'm sure the quality of the fish is high for the sushi/sashimi, needing to buy 2-3 rolls would have been pricey. I had seafood fried rice and was searching for the seafood. My friend had teriyaki chicken that was literally a chunk of chicken breast slathered in sauce, very unappealing. Would try sushi, but unlikely I will get back there to do so.Special Features:
- Fine Japanese dining -- at a pricelive2eatDined on 8/16/2014We were happy to find that FuGaKyu Lynnfield had finally opened. Upon arrival, we were promptly greeted and led to a "tatami" room: its shoji screens slide closed for privacy, which can make it hard to catch the server's attention! Our server was polite and well-trained, with a good knowledge of the menu and specials. The scallop garnished with uni was perfect; the ika-sansai and hamachi kama were also excellent. The nigiri and maki were very good as well. The only blemish was toward the end, when our server twice disappeared for a long time and we had no way to signal her. It was a Saturday night, which may account for the delays. Cost for two adults + 1 child (including drinks): $180 + tip. Overall, a very nice meal; we'll be back!Special Features:
- Great sushi but distracting promosOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014The sushi was great but they were having this obnoxious "live promotions" from a radio station playing top 40 music and constantly going over the speaker LOUDLY about $3 sapporos and "sign up here for more at the bar". I felt like we were at some cheap bar all-the-while enjoying some great sushi which was a bummer of a contrast. The place was also empty - for a wednesday night at 7:00pm. Hopefully they will do better but the promotions overhead felt like they were now desperate for any income?Special Features:
- Service needs improvementStickeyDined on 8/9/2014New, modern, clean facility. Food was okay, about average for Sushi. Greeter was very nice, we sat right down but waited 20 minutes for our server to acknowledge we were there. Once she finally came over, she apologized and told us she had only been working there for two weeks (she was very nervous). I understand a new restaurant has some kinks to work out but like many I work hard for my money and dining out is a treat, so paying full price for a waitress in training and not getting the best service was a bit disappointing. I think I'll stick with Oye's in Reading for Sushi from now on.
- I'll try againsebbyVIPDined on 8/6/2014I know this place just opened & they'll have a few kinks to work out but WOW from a service/operational standpoint, they have a long way to go. Made our reservation via OpenTable a few days in advance, arrived right on time & were told there was going to be a 30 minute wait by a very nervous hostess. She said we could have a high-top that was full of stacks of paper(?) and after cleaning it off, gave us food menus (no drink menu) and told us we'd get immediate service. 20 mins went by & I had to flag down a bartender for a drink menu. When our apps came, we had no utensils/plates so we asked for them. We sat for 10 mins before flagging down a manager to ask again. All this aside - food was AMAZING. I'll be back with hopes they work it out.Special Features:
- Good services, but...TakoyakiVIPDined on 8/3/2014Good interiors and good services. I really liked the atomosphere. I can imagine they spent a lot of work for interiors. Unfortunately, food needs to be improved. Salad was fine, but it needs a littlle more dressing. Tempura rolls were fine, but other raw fish rolls were a little fishy. Fish looked fine, but fishy tasting might be coming from chef's handling issues. Sushi rice's seasonings can be improved a little more. 3-roll combo is fine, but it would be nicer if this restaurant adds 2-roll combo for somebody who has smaller stomach. As a suburban dining place, the prices might be a little higher than expected.
- You have to try thisljlblueVIPDined on 8/1/2014The best Japanese food I have ever eaten. The food was out of this world. We start sushi and ended with dessert. Our waitress was very helpful and had a lot of suggestions. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the waitNYdinerDined on 7/30/2014Long awaiting this opening in Lynnfield and was terribly disappointed. Food was terribly oversalted and underflavored. Despite having a reservation they attempted to sit me by the service station, which I declined, and then was told the only other option was to sit next to a family with a crying baby despite the clearly empty restaurant and they boast about their booths! Waitress asked us if we wanted another round of drinks literally 3 minutes after our first round arrived and after we declined she never offered another beverage to us. We waited 35 minutes for our entrees only to be told that they had run out of brown rice at 6:45pm. There was almost nothing redeeming and I won't be back. Oye in Reading is far better for Asian food
- Good solid sushibasildaveVIPDined on 7/26/2014Not as creative as I remember from their Brookline site.Special Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the Fugakyu Japanese Cuisine Lynnfield reviews archive.