49 Lisbon Street
Lewiston, ME 04240Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fuelmaine.com/home
- Phone: (207) 333-3835
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Justin Smith
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Lyceum Gallery is Fuel's private dining space. Seating 30 or under, this beautiful space is an art gallery by day, private dining facility by night. The gallery and dining space is located in the same building, right next to Fuel's main dining space. Reservations required. Please call us for details.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Palmer (After 3:00 PM) 2073333835x
- Cross Street: Main (202)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is typically plentiful on Lisbon Street, right in front of the restaurant. If not, a parking garage is very, very close. Go to the end of Lisbon Street, take a right on Main, and a right on Park. The Park Street garage is on your left. Come out of the garage and walk straight through the Courthouse plaza (a small park), and you will find Fuel straight ahead. The garage is free after 6:00pm
A word from Fuel Restaurant
Fuel Restaurant is a Modern Bistro and wine bar. Specializing in country French cuisine, we offer steak frites, coq au vin, braised beef short ribs, and other traditional favorites. We also offer a 4 course tasting menu, which is designed specifically for your table. Our award winning wine list tops 126 bottles, and we offer 24 wines by the glass. Our atmosphere is "urban cozy", and we welcome casual, and business casual diners. The dining space is bistro style, with tables arranged in long rows. Or, try our chef's table, right in our kitchen. Our music is ambient, featuring Telepopmisik, Stephane Pompougnac, De Phazz, and others. Diners with special restrictions or requirements are welcome. Come see why Yankee Magazine awarded Fuel an Editor's Choice Award, and why Downeast Magazine calls Fuel the "Best Dining in Lewiston".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Fuel Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Lewiston, ME ›
Fuel Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)notable wine list (51)fit for foodies (50)romantic (39)neighborhood gem (32)hot spot (23)good for groups (17)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (4)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014THE best L/A restaurant! You wont be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestmykletDined on 11/11/2014Fuel is my favorite restaurant. We travel from Augusta to dine.........so worth the trip. The escargot was simply incredible. The Filet, you could have cut it with your fork. The topper for our experience - Ashley. What an excellent server. She's attentive, amusing, and knows just the right time to pop in and see how you're enjoying your meal. We'll be back soon.......on a night Ashley is working.Special Features:
- texaslizardDined on 11/8/2014They don't rush you, I love that in a restaurant. The peppery martini was delicious, as was the lobster mac'n cheese.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/7/2014Erin made our dining experience very pleasurable. Food was also very good. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014everything was great except for my salad a blueberry waldorf. the dressing was too tart. otherwise delicious as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local gem, eclectic elegencefood4thoughtDined on 10/24/2014Fuel never disappoints. It is the perfect spot for a romantic dinner with someone special or business dinner with colleagues. The food is marvelous and bar well stocked with high end spirits and a bar tender to match. A gourmet restaurant that combines the art and science of food preparation with a flair for decadent and playful presentation. Go to Fuel, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger challengedPeaGeeDined on 10/23/2014I'd heard rumors that Fuel was slipping. I've been there half a dozen times with great success, but a visit last week was disappointing. My partner and I shared the cheese plate, which was good. It wasn't amazing or different; pretty much your average cheese plate with too few crackers. We also both ordered the prime rib burger, his med rare, mine med. Both came out well done with cold fries. We sent them back, and his was indeed med rare this time, but mine came back rare. We were able to cobble together halves that met both of our needs, but it was a shame we had to do so. The bartender provided us excellent service and was extremely accommodating with our disappointment.Special Features:
- DisappointedbeachbumDined on 10/23/2014Fuels used to be one of our favorite places to dine for special occasions. This time the food was not up to par and we will not be going back. They changed the way they prepare the escargot and my steak was very well done when I asked for it rare. It was quite a "gem" not that long ago and now we can do better at other places.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Fuel continues to be one of our favorite Restaurants in the L/A areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- long waitOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/22/2014I was frustrated with the long wait we had for dinner tonight. We have been here many times weeknights or weekends and I can't remember having to wait this long for dinner. Maybe the kitchen staff was shorthanded. The food was very good as always but the long wait for our dinner was disappointing. The food and wait staff are excellent and we will return.Special Features:
- Enjoyed as usualanniebonvinDined on 10/22/2014I have been to Fuel numerous times and love it. My only disappointment this time was there were no lobster dishes as they had no lobster that night and I was planning on the lobster mac and cheese that night. I do wish they had foie gras other than Friday night (Wednesday would be good) as I don't like eating out on weekends.Special Features:
- Love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/11/2014Whenever we visit our son at Bates we make sure to have a meal at Fuel. Great service, food and atmosphere. I'm a harsh critic, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good MealDougMDined on 10/10/2014We had a very good meal at Fuel. The service was outstanding and timely. The food was good overall, although the lobster bisque was a bit thin. Had a very enjoyable meal.Special Features:
- Paper table clothsAsifEhDined on 10/9/2014The only thing about fuel that bothers me is the fact fuel uses paper table cloths. Have a regular cloth tablecloths and then cover the cloth tablecloths with paper table cloth I think if you are charging those kind of prices and have that have experience just a cloth table cloth should be used if laundry is to much money than just wipe it down after each service or get "classy" table placemats like grace in Portland. You cannot tell me that with the prices you charge in the revenue generated either cannot do one or the other of put clean Cloth in between each sit down or wipe down the tables also inbetween and have a classical table placematsSpecial Features:
- Great for any occasion.anyexcuse2eatDined on 10/9/2014We have dinner at Fuel for any special occasion but also when we just get a taste for a multi-course, well-prepared meal, and feel too tired to put the time and energy into cooking. The space is lovely, the atmosphere is always warm and pleasant, and the food is always good. The service is also attentive without being cloying, and even when the restaurant is full, it never gets too noisy. We do prefer off-nights, though, because it's especially quiet and relaxed then. We know many people who love their bar, as well, where they serve less elaborate and expensive dishes, but we aren't bar types so I can't attest to that myself. In any case, I highly and enthusiastically recommend this restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very fine diningRuttroweDined on 10/4/2014Never a bad choice when we end up dining here. The pork shank is fall off the bone tender. Really enjoyed the blueberry Waldorf salad. Nothing on the menu has ever been a disappointment.Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014The food was very good. We had braised leeks for our appitizer and it was wounderful. The main course was great as was dessert. The waiter was very friendly and informative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pretty goodFrenchbulldogDined on 10/3/2014Our server (I'm sorry I cannot remember her name) was amazing. A+ The pastry chef...yay! We had three desserts. Well done. I had the balsamic pork shank...good, but the flavor was a bit unfocused...needed a more unctuous pork taste. Veggies were nicely al dente. My partner had the mac and cheese. Same issue....the flavor was not focused, nice texture, but bland taste. Infiniti in Portland does amazing MnC. The Foie Gras Friday thing brought us in, but the foie gras was overpowered by a kind of cognac/sweet/flowery taste. We didn't finish ours. A french restaurant/bistro needs to serve espresso. Nevertheless, the ambiance is good, the decor inviting, the prices ok we will be back to try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood gemeta123Dined on 9/25/2014I have consistently had a great meal at this restaurant. The food and the atmosphere are superb.Special Features:
- GoodstuffGoodstuffDined on 9/20/2014Again Fuel delivers - best food and best service! Only restaurant that I will go out of my way to order the best burger ever!Special Features:
- Fuel is LA's go to place!FrenchfoodieDined on 9/20/2014We always enjoy going to Fuel. The food is outstanding, a tremendous wine list, stellar service (thank you, Autumn) and an atmosphere that covers the gamut of simple night out to special occasion. Merci!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go To Favorite!HunterDined on 9/20/2014Fuel continues to be our "go to" restaurant in the area. The food and service is always top notch and never disappoints. We have frequented the restaurant many times and always look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/20/2014Saturday night dinner was great. I had the tuna special which was the plat du poisson for Saturday. It was perfectly cooked. My wife had the plat du jour which was a perfectly cooked duck breast (I have had duck many times, but chef Justin is very consistent with both his temperature of the meat and its trimming(ie: no grissle). My son had the filet which again was perfectly prepared. We will return soon. Last but certainly not least was Ashley. our server. was fantastic. Thanks Ashley for making our dinner special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall Great ExperienceValeriejDined on 9/12/2014We visited Fuel on a Friday evening. The restaurant was busy but we had made a reservation and were warmly greeted by the hostess who led us to our table right away. Our server Heather was attentive and knowledgeable and made our experience extra special. We enjoyed Cesar salad, followed by the braised pork short rib for me and the chicken for my husband. Both dishes were beautifully prepared and were generous portions. The only criticism I have is that I would have liked more flavor in the short rib dish. This may have been improved with the addition of more sauce to the plate. Small issue on an otherwise wonderful meal. Oh....forgot to mention dessert! I had the ice cream filled puffs and they were delicious! We'll be back!Special Features:
- food better dressed than patronsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and got dressed up for the occasion. She was particularly disappointed that others appeared to have been torn between Wendy's drive through after a day at the beach or Fuel. This is why my rating for ambiance is less than maybe Fuel would hope for. We had planned to have an after drink with bartender Rachael, but the bar was very busy. That's not a bad thing. We'll certainly be back to grab a spot at the bar. I won't be wearing a tie. I do promise however to have long pants on a shirt with sleeves.Special Features:
- Losing their edge?EatingWellDined on 9/6/2014Not as good as it used to be. Two of the four dinners at our table were barely warm. The dishes were also a bit bland, we are used to much more vibrant flavors from this restaurant. The accompanying starch and vegetables seem to be diminishing each time we dine at Fuel. Had we expressed our disappointment, I'm sure the server would have tried to remedy our issues, as they have done in the recent past. But when we pay upwards of $100 for two dinners, we would like to have it right the first time! In the past, I have rated Fuel a solid 4 stars, but in the past year or so, they barely make 3 stars.
- One of the nicer places in LewistonDurgeDined on 8/30/2014It's hardly ultra formal but relative to the competition I'd say it's a bit "high end" with some fairly gourmet selections and a fair wine list, even a couple decent beer choices. But my wife's salad was extremely salty for some reason and her entre, salmon, was a modest portion served devoid of any accompanying vegetables or other substance to make it more of a meal. On the other hand, my pork shank was very good. Dessert was also quite good. Definitely worth considering. we've been here once before and know it can be hard to get a table during the busy weekends of the Bates College calendar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mego0012Dined on 8/30/2014My friend and I had gone for dinner, first fine dinning experience ever!!! the service was great and the food was good to..prices were a little high, I had a gift card so it was nice to experience it cuz would not have been able to other wise....defently will recommend to others ...overall a great experience and high five to our waitress!!!! she was awesome.Special Features:
- Nice time!EFisherDined on 8/28/2014We enjoyed ourselves immensely! This time it was my sister and I, everything was great except the service was a little slack; our dirty dishes stayed on our table til the end of dinner and silverware was never replaced after each course finally we waited way to long for our check (25 minutes). Otherwise still a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, decent service, but...ToddVIPDined on 8/27/2014Ok, I may be being a little nit-picky...however, it drives me crazy that a restaurant that wants to be a fine dining establishment uses paper to cover the table linens. I can get that level of dining at macaroni grill and at least they leave crayons to draw on the tables! Also, there is something strange about the lighting, I think it just needs to be less direct. Okay, now that is off my chest; the food is good - even above average and a good place for a mill town. I don't think you will be disappointed. Fantastic wine list that won't leave you wanting more choices. The menu could have more entree variety. Three steak dishes? Replace one with a boar dish - it is a French restaurant after all, right?Special Features:
- Great Birthday Mealstim8rinmeDined on 8/27/2014I took my wife here for her birthday. It was a wonderful time. The mixologist behind the bar made my wife a great Blood and Smoke (think bloody mary with smoke infused tequila) that she loved. I had the filet mignon and my wife had the salmon. Both were excellent. Our server (? Ashley) was very personable and was attentive but not pushy. I recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice quiet and romantic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!2AlbertaSiblingsDined on 8/27/2014What a treasure! We found this restaurant highly rated on TripAdvisor, & booked it right away with OpenTable. We were immediately greeted by a very sweet & friendly hostess & were immediately seated at our table....thanks OpenTable! We were greeted by our smiling waitress right away & told about the day's specials as well as given our menus & their "huge" wine listings. I had read about their fall-off- the-bone pork shank dish, so we chose that. I chose the cod which was the fish of the day. Both of our entrees were wonderful...so fresh & well cooked, as were the appetizers of escargots! Yum! And everything was so beautifully plated, especially the dessert! Our waitress was very friendly & attentive. Ambience was lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionBassHunterDined on 8/26/2014This was our 25th wedding anniversary dinner. I ordered flowers to be delivered prior. When we arrived we were greeted with "Happy Anniversary" and tucked away in a nice secluded corner in which the flowers were already on the table. Very nice romantic setting. Thanks to the staff...Special Features:
- DinerDined on 8/26/2014My family & I had a wonderful dining experience during a mid-week get together @ Fuel. The dining room was comfortable and the tables were far enough away from each other to make me feel that my family had our own space. Our server was personable, attentive, but, not cloying. Everyone enjoyed the dishes they selected. I had a lobster and pasta dish with tarragon cream sauce that was not at all heavy or "over filling." I also appreciate that Fuel has an extensive menu for Spirits in addition to a very good wine list. For city not known for its dining choices, Fuel is a great place to meet, enjoy, and relax with your companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laid-back sophisticationmerriamDined on 8/22/2014Comfortable, attractive, soothing ambience with well-spaced tables and gentle music, perfect for a relaxed, even romantic meal. Friendly, efficient service. Impressive cocktail list, with many drinks using local spirits. The two we ordered were outstanding (and generous), especially my sage martini. Terrific wine list with very good selection by the glass. When the exquisite hot bread arrived, we knew we were in for a treat. Unfortunately, there were a couple of misses: the leek appetizer was bland and dry, and the cod special, although well cooked and generous, was also very bland. But the scallop appetizer, house special pork, olive oil cake and chipotle chocolate pate were sensational. If we lived nearby, we'd be regulars.Special Features:
- We love Fuel!!!campmom22VIPDined on 8/16/2014Being in Maine all summer every summer, Fuel is a real treat! The food is so good and the ambiance is so nice - it brings us back home for an evening.Special Features:
- DrRuthandHDined on 8/15/2014Is has been a while since we have been at Fuel. We were quite pleased with the menu, service, and the food. Our waitress, Becca, was outstanding. Great personality, very attentive, good humor. We will return in the future.Special Features:
- Inconsistant and expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014When I go to a more expensive restaurant I expect everything to be top notch. The ambiance was fine but nothing spectacular. The Fondu for Two was very good and I might return for that item alone, but the meal itself was poor. The steak was rubbery and not cooked consistantly from one side to the other. The fries were pretty good, but honestly steak and fries could be much better for far less.
- BethDined on 8/12/2014Food is always fantastic! We return annually for our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!GarryDined on 8/9/2014I should have said, "Awesome Again!" My wife and I live in Cumberland and opt to drive to Lewiston, over Portland, to visit Fuel when we want, "that special night out". This is hands down the BEST restaurant for our tastes in the area! Service is always excellent, food is incredible and that wine list...Special Features: