49 Lisbon Street
Lewiston, ME 04240Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fuelmaine.com/home
- Phone: 2073333835x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Justin Smith
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Lyceum Gallery is Fuel's private dining space. Seating 30 or under, this beautiful space is an art gallery by day, private dining facility by night. The gallery and dining space is located in the same building, right next to Fuel's main dining space. Reservations required. Please call us for details.
- Private Party Contact: Katie Palmer (After 3:00 PM) 2073333835x
- Cross Street: Main (202)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Parking is typically plentiful on Lisbon Street, right in front of the restaurant. If not, a parking garage is very, very close. Go to the end of Lisbon Street, take a right on Main, and a right on Park. The Park Street garage is on your left. Come out of the garage and walk straight through the Courthouse plaza (a small park), and you will find Fuel straight ahead. The garage is free after 6:00pm
A word from Fuel Restaurant
Fuel Restaurant is a Modern Bistro and wine bar. Specializing in country French cuisine, we offer steak frites, coq au vin, braised beef short ribs, and other traditional favorites. We also offer a 4 course tasting menu, which is designed specifically for your table. Our award winning wine list tops 126 bottles, and we offer 24 wines by the glass. Our atmosphere is "urban cozy", and we welcome casual, and business casual diners. The dining space is bistro style, with tables arranged in long rows. Or, try our chef's table, right in our kitchen. Our music is ambient, featuring Telepopmisik, Stephane Pompougnac, De Phazz, and others. Diners with special restrictions or requirements are welcome. Come see why Yankee Magazine awarded Fuel an Editor's Choice Award, and why Downeast Magazine calls Fuel the "Best Dining in Lewiston".Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Fuel Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Lewiston, ME ›
Fuel Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (52)fit for foodies (44)romantic (39)notable wine list (35)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (14)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (4)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Overall Great ExperienceValeriejDined on 9/12/2014We visited Fuel on a Friday evening. The restaurant was busy but we had made a reservation and were warmly greeted by the hostess who led us to our table right away. Our server Heather was attentive and knowledgeable and made our experience extra special. We enjoyed Cesar salad, followed by the braised pork short rib for me and the chicken for my husband. Both dishes were beautifully prepared and were generous portions. The only criticism I have is that I would have liked more flavor in the short rib dish. This may have been improved with the addition of more sauce to the plate. Small issue on an otherwise wonderful meal. Oh....forgot to mention dessert! I had the ice cream filled puffs and they were delicious! We'll be back!Special Features:
- food better dressed than patronsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary and got dressed up for the occasion. She was particularly disappointed that others appeared to have been torn between Wendy's drive through after a day at the beach or Fuel. This is why my rating for ambiance is less than maybe Fuel would hope for. We had planned to have an after drink with bartender Rachael, but the bar was very busy. That's not a bad thing. We'll certainly be back to grab a spot at the bar. I won't be wearing a tie. I do promise however to have long pants on a shirt with sleeves.Special Features:
- Losing their edge?EatingWellDined on 9/6/2014Not as good as it used to be. Two of the four dinners at our table were barely warm. The dishes were also a bit bland, we are used to much more vibrant flavors from this restaurant. The accompanying starch and vegetables seem to be diminishing each time we dine at Fuel. Had we expressed our disappointment, I'm sure the server would have tried to remedy our issues, as they have done in the recent past. But when we pay upwards of $100 for two dinners, we would like to have it right the first time! In the past, I have rated Fuel a solid 4 stars, but in the past year or so, they barely make 3 stars.
- One of the nicer places in LewistonDurgeDined on 8/30/2014It's hardly ultra formal but relative to the competition I'd say it's a bit "high end" with some fairly gourmet selections and a fair wine list, even a couple decent beer choices. But my wife's salad was extremely salty for some reason and her entre, salmon, was a modest portion served devoid of any accompanying vegetables or other substance to make it more of a meal. On the other hand, my pork shank was very good. Dessert was also quite good. Definitely worth considering. we've been here once before and know it can be hard to get a table during the busy weekends of the Bates College calendar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mego0012Dined on 8/30/2014My friend and I had gone for dinner, first fine dinning experience ever!!! the service was great and the food was good to..prices were a little high, I had a gift card so it was nice to experience it cuz would not have been able to other wise....defently will recommend to others ...overall a great experience and high five to our waitress!!!! she was awesome.Special Features:
- Nice time!EFisherDined on 8/28/2014We enjoyed ourselves immensely! This time it was my sister and I, everything was great except the service was a little slack; our dirty dishes stayed on our table til the end of dinner and silverware was never replaced after each course finally we waited way to long for our check (25 minutes). Otherwise still a great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, decent service, but...ToddVIPDined on 8/27/2014Ok, I may be being a little nit-picky...however, it drives me crazy that a restaurant that wants to be a fine dining establishment uses paper to cover the table linens. I can get that level of dining at macaroni grill and at least they leave crayons to draw on the tables! Also, there is something strange about the lighting, I think it just needs to be less direct. Okay, now that is off my chest; the food is good - even above average and a good place for a mill town. I don't think you will be disappointed. Fantastic wine list that won't leave you wanting more choices. The menu could have more entree variety. Three steak dishes? Replace one with a boar dish - it is a French restaurant after all, right?Special Features:
- Great Birthday Mealstim8rinmeDined on 8/27/2014I took my wife here for her birthday. It was a wonderful time. The mixologist behind the bar made my wife a great Blood and Smoke (think bloody mary with smoke infused tequila) that she loved. I had the filet mignon and my wife had the salmon. Both were excellent. Our server (? Ashley) was very personable and was attentive but not pushy. I recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice quiet and romantic meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!2AlbertaSiblingsDined on 8/27/2014What a treasure! We found this restaurant highly rated on TripAdvisor, & booked it right away with OpenTable. We were immediately greeted by a very sweet & friendly hostess & were immediately seated at our table....thanks OpenTable! We were greeted by our smiling waitress right away & told about the day's specials as well as given our menus & their "huge" wine listings. I had read about their fall-off- the-bone pork shank dish, so we chose that. I chose the cod which was the fish of the day. Both of our entrees were wonderful...so fresh & well cooked, as were the appetizers of escargots! Yum! And everything was so beautifully plated, especially the dessert! Our waitress was very friendly & attentive. Ambience was lovely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionBassHunterDined on 8/26/2014This was our 25th wedding anniversary dinner. I ordered flowers to be delivered prior. When we arrived we were greeted with "Happy Anniversary" and tucked away in a nice secluded corner in which the flowers were already on the table. Very nice romantic setting. Thanks to the staff...Special Features:
- DinerDined on 8/26/2014My family & I had a wonderful dining experience during a mid-week get together @ Fuel. The dining room was comfortable and the tables were far enough away from each other to make me feel that my family had our own space. Our server was personable, attentive, but, not cloying. Everyone enjoyed the dishes they selected. I had a lobster and pasta dish with tarragon cream sauce that was not at all heavy or "over filling." I also appreciate that Fuel has an extensive menu for Spirits in addition to a very good wine list. For city not known for its dining choices, Fuel is a great place to meet, enjoy, and relax with your companions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laid-back sophisticationmerriamDined on 8/22/2014Comfortable, attractive, soothing ambience with well-spaced tables and gentle music, perfect for a relaxed, even romantic meal. Friendly, efficient service. Impressive cocktail list, with many drinks using local spirits. The two we ordered were outstanding (and generous), especially my sage martini. Terrific wine list with very good selection by the glass. When the exquisite hot bread arrived, we knew we were in for a treat. Unfortunately, there were a couple of misses: the leek appetizer was bland and dry, and the cod special, although well cooked and generous, was also very bland. But the scallop appetizer, house special pork, olive oil cake and chipotle chocolate pate were sensational. If we lived nearby, we'd be regulars.Special Features:
- We love Fuel!!!campmom22VIPDined on 8/16/2014Being in Maine all summer every summer, Fuel is a real treat! The food is so good and the ambiance is so nice - it brings us back home for an evening.Special Features:
- DrRuthandHDined on 8/15/2014Is has been a while since we have been at Fuel. We were quite pleased with the menu, service, and the food. Our waitress, Becca, was outstanding. Great personality, very attentive, good humor. We will return in the future.Special Features:
- BethDined on 8/12/2014Food is always fantastic! We return annually for our anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!GarryDined on 8/9/2014I should have said, "Awesome Again!" My wife and I live in Cumberland and opt to drive to Lewiston, over Portland, to visit Fuel when we want, "that special night out". This is hands down the BEST restaurant for our tastes in the area! Service is always excellent, food is incredible and that wine list...Special Features:
- A gem!EFisherDined on 8/8/2014The service and ambience was amazing! I really appreciate the attention to detail and making us feel special! The signature macaroni and cheese is addictive! We will definitely be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations not metOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Fuel is an attempt at an upscale restaurant in the Lewiston/Auburn area. All in all, the food was just adequate, the service just ok, and priced beyond the value.
- Great Food in LewistonHungryLynxDined on 7/25/2014We arrived late and had to be out in time for a performance, but the hostess and our waitress had paid attention to the note we made on our reservation and were focused on our schedule before we could mention it. The menu had added a 3 course tasting menu with lots of great sounding options. We overcame our choice anxiety and fully enjoyed each of the 3 courses we chose. Everything was perfectly cooked and beautifully presented. The food was served in a timely, but not rushed, manner and we were out with plenty of time to make our show. The only reason I marked them down on service was a somewhat annoying (to me) tendency of our waitress to address us repeatedly as "my friend". She was so good otherwise, I can forgive her for that.Special Features:
- Outstanding In Every WayEricandClaireDined on 7/23/2014From the moment we entered the door we were treated like royalty. The service, atmosphere, and food were all outstanding. We highly recommend the filet and New York strip steaks. This was our second visit and will be back for more. Truly a gem in downtown Lewiston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive in every way!PeleDined on 7/18/2014From arrival, the staff/family @ fuel was very attentive to what my wife and I needed. Far from over-bearing, they were sensitive and professional. Our server introduced herself, and throughout the evening knew exactly when to engage us, and when to let our experience be "our" experience. That alone, is a priceless factor. Then the entrees came out. Here is where "attentive" got intense. The braised pork shank must have been doted over in that kitchen. The presentation was dramatic, and still was over-shadowed by it's tenderness and flavor. When I return to FUEL, I will have a hard time venturing another entree. It definitely made its impression. Thank you so much Fuel staff/family for being a cut above in every way. See you soon. -PeleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining without going brokeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014Perfect restaurant for a date night! The ambiance is hip, drinks are modern, and the food delicious and worth every penny! I had the white sangria - bubbly, minty, light, and absolutely refreshing! My hangar steak frites was cooked to perfection and finished with a bed of greens dressed with a fresh and light summery dressing. We splurged on dessert, which was dark chocolate crepes layered with rich salted caramel mousse. My husband ordered the pork shank, the house specialty. The shank is brined and cooked until it falls off the bone, served over a brussels sprouts, sweet potato, bacon hash and a rich sauce. He had enough for 2 additional meals! Who knew such high-class food could be found in Lewiston Maine?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent every time we are thereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014fabolous french food. great beef dishes. great soup. great salad. excellent chocholate mouse.Special Features:
- AWESOME NIGHTMikeandStephGDined on 7/10/2014We celebrated our 16th anniversary at Fuel while on vacation. The restaurant was a pleasure. As soon as you walk in the hostess was right there to greet you. The bartender made excellent drinks and had suggestions for the indecisive. Good and service were awesome. Only complaint was the green apple sorbet at dessert was a little too tart. Fondue. Excellent. Braised pork and short ribs were done to perfection. We had a semi private fining table in the rear of restaurant and Autumn our waitress was very attentive yet not intruding. Overall a definite recommendation for all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fuel reviewLuvtoeatDined on 7/3/2014This restaurant has an interesting menu. Would like to see more vegetarian options. Best martini I've ever had! Very freshly prepared. Would highly recommend - especially for special occasions as it is pricey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fuel, a gem in Lewistondwieboldt1959Dined on 6/26/2014Fuel is a stand out in the southern Maine area. Dependably excellent food, generous portions, creative dishes and service that gives just the right amount of attention. What's not to love? In addition to the ever-changing menu are the Plats d'Jour. These change occasionally. My current favorite is Saturdays' Braised lamb shank. Tender, falling off the bone lamb in a savory sauce. Heaven. Go to Open Table and set up a reservation, you won't be sorry that you did.Special Features:
- ExcellentIronCowboy51Dined on 6/21/2014This was my first dining experience at Fuel. It was highly recommended to me by friends. The service was attentive and prompt. The menu offered several choices that you don't find at other local restaurants. I'm a bit of a foodie, so I tried the braised lamb shank. It was very flavorful on it's own and needed no further seasoning. I look forward to next time I dine at Fuel.Special Features:
- Tasty (but huge) portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/20/2014I know some people feel that gigantic portions mean you get your money's worth, but to me fine dining is as much about appropriate portion size as it is flavor, service, and ambiance. We definitely enjoyed our meals, but I have enough leftovers to feed me lunch for three more days. I had the braised pork shank, which was succulent and delicious--just in Fred Flintstone-sized proportion. My husband had the pork belly which was incredible...but was about a 3x5x3 block. (Don't even want to know the calorie count on that one!) the cocktails were invetntive and delicious, and the desserts as beautiful as they were tasty. The price was also very reasonable (with tip, three courses, and drinks, only $140). In all, a lovely meal--just go hungry!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprise!DebKDined on 6/20/2014We don't usually head to the Lewiston-Auburn area for dinner dates - we were in the area on business and decided to find a nice restaurant to celebrate a momentous occasion. We were very pleasantly surprised! We will definitely eat there again!Special Features:
- Great night to celebratefuelrocksDined on 6/14/2014Great place for fine dining! Elegant, delicious and intimate!! Took my Dad, mother and husband there for Father's day celebration and we had a great time!Special Features:
- All great, except unavailable drinkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014All the food was great, fiddle heads were awesome. One disappoint was that I ordered the sweet beet martini and I could not get it. Would still recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous anniversary dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/31/2014Spectacular food and personable server - a perfectly lovely dinner experience. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Maine foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Excellent steak, potatoes, soup and dessert. Gourmet with French flair. Extensive wine and drink list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BabbsDined on 5/24/2014Took family that had not been to Fuel, told them how we enjoyed the restaurant and how good the food was, no one was disappointed.Special Features:
- A Gem in Lewiston/AuburnDCdinerDined on 5/24/2014If you are the parent of a Bobcat you need to know Fuel. Get your reservations early for parent's weekends or graduation (and I mean EARLY), or give giftcards to your Bates student for special occasions. While Fuel stands out in Lewiston/Auburn (not a dining mecca) it would hold up well in areas with more competition. The menu is varied and well prepared. The staff is always helpful and quick moving. In the four years we frequented Fuel while our child was obtaining her degree it was always dependably satisfying--at moments brilliant but always at the very least solid and satisfying.
- Best restaurant in Lewiston/AuburnLoriLouWho75Dined on 5/24/2014This Memorial Day weekend was the second meal we had at Fuel. The meal was spectacular (petit filet for me, pork belly for him) and the service attentive and knowledgeable. Meal of two entrees, two cocktails, two desserts, and a bottle of wine was $140. Easily would have paid twice that in Portland or Boston for the same quality of food and service. This place is a gem and we hope to return many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 887 reviews are from the Fuel Restaurant reviews archive.
- Can't wait to come back!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014Fantastic dining locations in Maine are not that easy to find. We recently visited Fuel after looking on Trip Advisor for recommended dining locations in Lewiston, Maine. The ambiance, decor, lighting, table spacing, etc. were, in my mind, a prelude to a well run restaurant. The wait staff was superb - attentive without being pushy, a nice smile helps too! Our appetizers, the charcuterie and fiddleheads were very good. My only minor complaint was the ginger biscotti that was erved with the Creme Brulee. The biscotti was soft instead of the expected crispiness. My wife and I would come back to Fuel in a "heart beat"!Special Features:
- DisappointingDisappointedDined on 5/11/2014I have been wanting to try Fuel for a long time. I heard great reviews. I was told it was a bit pricey but the food was fantastic. I took my family there for Mother's Day. We ordered one of their signature apps. The Cheese Fondue. It was ok, nothing spectacular. We all ordered burgers and fries. The actual tastes was good and I believe if the food wouldn't have come out cold we would have had nothing bad to say. Cold food for the price we paid is unacceptable. Sorry, I will not hurry back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2014Fuel is my favorite restuarant! The food and service are top notch. You'll never be disappointed if you choose fuel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We wanted to love it.PismireDinnerDined on 5/10/2014The food was not the disappointment. The service was fair, uneven. Our wine order was a new experience. Our chosen wine was on "tap" and when it came it seemed more like apple juice. Our waitress did her best to fix and then deliver a different wine. Various parts of the order were delivered incorrectly.. The ambiance was disappointing. It was noisy, crowded and lighting was too high for a Saturday night. We even now continue to want to like Fuel but our first visit was a big disappointment. I believe we each liked our dinner, even when incorrectly offered.