Front Room Tavern
6101 Hillcrest Ave
Dallas, TX 75205Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Front Room Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.frontroomdallas.com/
- Phone: (214) 219-8282
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday 7:00AM - 11:00AM
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:00AM - 3:00PM
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 4:00PM - 11:00PM
Sunday 4:00PM - 10:00PM
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 11:00AM - 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Micheal Ehlert
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Front Room Tavern
The Front Room Tavern puts a modern spin on classic American staples, regional specialties and comfort food favorites. The restaurant bar offers a wide variety of wines and beers, as well as an artisanal cocktail menu with a mix of classic and contemporary variations. The intimate space features a sleek mid-century design and covered courtyard patio overlooking Southern Methodist University. Located in The Lumen, a Kimpton hotel, The Front Room Tavern is open daily for breakfast, lunch, dinner and cocktails.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Front Room Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (8)fit for foodies (5)great for lunch (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (4)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)notable wine list (2)romantic (1)kid-friendly (1)special occasion (1)vibrant bar scene (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Just not enoughDallasDiner111VIPDined on 11/15/2014Ambiance was great - liked the window booths overlooking Hillcrest and the campus beyond. Our food was underwhelming - cooked OK, but no one dish stood out. Priced like a hotel restaurant (which it is) with a neighborhood location.
- Got it's mojo backVivscamsVIPDined on 11/7/2014We moved to the neighborhood about a year and a half ago. When we first moved, we loved this restaurant. We went back after a few months, and found it had gone way downhill. The menu changed for the worse - there was no selection, the food and drink was not very good. We decided to try it again the other night and were delighted to find the menu was great, the bar had improved dramatically, and it had regained a liveliness. Keep it up. It's great to have a good local bistro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectationsCHRISVIPDined on 11/7/2014The photos of the dining area don't reflect how nicely designed this restaurant is. It is comfortable with views of activity on Highland Avenue. For some reasons, the photos online look cold and uninviting. We'd recommend the cheese with flatbread starter. We both enjoyed our meals and John, our waiter couldn't have been nicer. We also recommend breakfast there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10/30/14jinxlovesbruncDined on 10/30/2014A couple of weeks ago we had brunch and had a great time, the burrata was a wonderful start, we shared the Green Chili Migas, The Chicken Paillard, and the French Toast. May I just say that they were all fantastic! I personally am not a fan of migas as a rule,(going to college in Austin, I always compare to Kirby's), I enjoyed. Thursday we had Dinner and the oysters were wonderfully farm raised from Mass. The Pear and Endive salad was delightful, and we shared the Pork Schnitzel and the Steak au Poivre. The wines chosen for us were a perfect match. and for dessert we had the Chocolate Trifle and the Salted Caramel Pot o Crème. FANTASTIC. SERVICE delightful. Highly Recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great 1st VisitJanMVIPDined on 9/28/2014We had an awesome experience on the patio with Garrett! Salmon & scallops were delicious! Drinks and salted caramel pot du creme were awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchjinxlovesbruncDined on 9/14/2014Wow, they have really done a great job with their remodel. The interior is great wood/neutral tones, comfy booths and wonderfully done patio!Special Features:
- Small menuDallasFoodieMomDined on 8/26/2014Food was very good, but the menu much more limited than expected.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BigFoodVIPDined on 8/23/2014The place is bright and pretty but extremely noisy. The service was good but the food was just average. It has a good menu and lots of potential but there are so many better places in the area that I would probably not go back.
- Yummy!MicabyoDined on 8/19/2014I really liked the menu. My cocktail was excellent and all of the food we ordered as a group was very good.Special Features:
- The following 76 reviews are from the Front Room Tavern reviews archive.
- Brunch menu lacking....OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/20/2014Was there for Sunday Brunchbat 1:30 and there was only 1 table occupied and when we left there were 2. Our problem was that the brunch menu was so limited. A beautiful space though.
- Great Experience at Front RoomAnonymousDined on 7/4/2014Going back for 3rd time this weekend. The food is fabulous. Lacey is the best; she is so pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, but pricey!SallyDallasVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had a very nice brunch on the Saturday of SMU graduation. Needless to say, the place was crowded and noisy, and it took a while to get served. But my eggs benedict were fabulous, and my husband enjoyed his pecan waffles, although he balked at the $13 price.Special Features:
- 4.3 stars? really?bethebelDined on 5/11/2014I'm pretty confused by the high ratings this restaurant has received. Three of the people in our party had the burger, and they were all overcooked, dry and devoid of seasoning. One of the buns was also really greasy. The fries were average. My mom had the cornmeal crisped trout, it was grey... I rated the noise level as quiet because we were the only ones in the restaurant, we did eat early, but it was Mother's Day, so you'd think people would be out eating, maybe not. Yelp gives this place a 3.5, which is closer to the truth, if I had seen that I wouldn't have made the reservation there.
- sweet victorygomezicanDined on 4/24/2014great service, excellent food. a terrific night out. a quick dinner turned into a 3 hour event and we enjoyed every moment of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salad?OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/23/2014Great experience, but was a little surprised by my roasted beet salad. No real description was provided on the menu, I was left to assume it was a salad as it was listed with another option that sounded a lot like a cob salad. Well, my 'salad' arrived with beautiful beats, goat cheese, candied orange peel, light dressing, but zero in the way of greens. It was very tasty, but was lost in its huge bowl and contained about 7 beets. With some roughage, that would have been plenty for lunch. Without, it was a bit lacking.Special Features:
- Eggs Benedict on a biscuit?DinnerVIPDined on 3/9/2014Yes. And it was very, very, very good. I'll be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceeasydiningDined on 3/7/2014Good food, terrific serving staff, handy location for SMU meetings/activities, not too hectic an environment...especially small enough not to have the noise interfere with conversationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd Time Not the CharmPhilVIPDined on 2/22/2014After taking couples to The Front Room 2 other times, and having great meals and experience, our last experience was not near as good. Upon arriving for our 7:30 reservation, the it took 6-8 minutes to get a booth set up for us, even though the place was 1/2 full. After looking at the menu, we did not see the 48hr fried chicken and meat loaf options that had been so good on our last visits. My wife and I split a strip steak, which was tough, and my wife's salad got delivered to our guests by mistake. Not giving up on the Front Room, but hope it corrects these issues.
- The decor was a twist of 2020HappyCamperDined on 2/14/2014The decor was a twist of 2020 meets Dallas with a slight lining of Los Angeles. The service was amazing and the wait time was quick and we were greeted with warmth and a smile. Love it and would definitely return and refer friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Valentine's DinnerwdbivDined on 2/14/2014I selected The Front Room for Valentine's Day because, like I normally do, I waited too long to make a reservation and this was the only place available. However, the restaurant exceeded all of my expectations. The ambiance was great and the service outstanding. When I mentioned to our waiter that I was trying to piece a vegan meal together, the chef prepared a phenomenal set of vegan dishes for me. The only problem is that the space around the bar is very tight, making it difficult to make your way to the rest room from the dining room. Other than that minor point, this was one of the best dining experiences my wife and I have had in quite some time. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Great place to celebrate with your sweetie on that special day. The food was fabulous and the service the best. A special menu for the occasion with wine pairings was perfect and balanced by both an attractive and contemporary bar. The atmosphere was enhanced by the attached equally contemporary hotel. The oysters were succulent and seasoned just right. The steak was cooked to perfection. The salad was extraordinary and the desert had several taste treats of different sorbets which begged to be enjoyed with every morsel. A special restaurant when you want to be with special people. I recommend it highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch!KenSVIPDined on 2/9/2014A great brunch ! Southern food, unique interpretaitions of food, great service, and awesome Bloody Mary!Special Features:
- Perfect after game hangout!WineNDineVIPDined on 2/8/2014Went for dinner to celebrate SMU big win. Excellent burgers that were huge, overkill on the fries although they were crispy good. Delicious roasted chicken over julienne veggies I would go back for as well. A little pricey. Probably not a poor student hangout but a great bar and fun place with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We stumbled upon the FrontOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/11/2014We stumbled upon the Front Room and are now in love! I've been twice for lunch with my mother-in-law and it's terrific. The service is second-to-none and they're incredibly accommodating. The food is wonderful and the servers are knowledgeable about their offerings. Complimentary valet is nice, as well. We'll keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Front Room ImpressesMysteryDinerXDined on 1/4/2014We were steered towards Front Room via Open Table, so it's nice to be able to write a highly positive review of a referred venue! Front Room was a great recommendation - distinct menu, funky but intimate environment and excellent service. It's a bit off the beaten path (right behind SMU on Hillcrest), but worth finding. Try the sausage and polenta specialty - it was superb and presented beautifully. Also greatly enjoyed the roasted beet salad appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for our New Year's EveLDLMDined on 12/31/2013We found Front Room had tables available for New Year's Eve and thought we'd give it a try. The waiter was wonderful, and helped make it a festive night. I had the ravioli appetizer, which was excellent but three tiny pieces so I had to savor each little bite. The entrees we weren't as impressed with as we were the appetizers and desserts but it was still pretty good. We will likely be back for the pot de crème and the apple crumble dessert.Special Features:
- The brunch was fantastic.TerryVIPDined on 12/22/2013The brunch was fantastic. We have tried many brunch places, and we think this is the best!Special Features:
- Interesting ExperienceTXDinerDined on 12/13/2013We live in the area and wanted to try something different and were able to get a reservation at the last minute. Everything was fine but, for the price, I don't think the restaurant met expectations. The tables between the booths are too big. My boyfriend and I had to sit on the same side just to feel like we could carry on a normal conversation. The food was okay but the menu didn't really excite me. The service was great. We would probably come back just because it's easy and there isn't a wait but it wasn't my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!NickDined on 10/27/2013The Front Room has an incredible menu that changes with what is fresh at the markets. It is always fabulous! Check it out.Special Features:
- Hotel dining that is goodBigAlVIPDined on 9/24/2013Needed a quick spot for breakfast on our way. We were pleased with the Front Room. Always cautious when it comes to Hotel Dining. The Front Room was a pleasant surprise. A special menu that made it worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatTennisGolfLadyDined on 9/23/2013The service was excellent, friendly and attentive but the menu was limited and not anything to rave about. It was fun to try but probably won't be back until there is more variety on the menu.Special Features:
- constant travelerchloeVIPDined on 9/19/2013The food was great, I ate every bite of each course. My waitress - Michelle - was very pleasant. I enjoyed talking to her. The manager was nice too. I would definitely come back when I'm in town.Special Features:
- Family Friendly -Great Food/ServiceJPhoenixVIPDined on 8/18/2013We decided to try the Sunday "Family Funday" by the pool, and loved it! The GM, Mario Brooks, told me about it a few weeks ago, and I just wish I had known about it all summer. We live within walking distance, so it was a perfect way to spend my daughter's birthday - laying by the pool, swimming, and eating a great meal (Shrimp Top Loader was delish). Our server was attentive, friendly, and professional. Keep up the good work, guys!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is lacking...gretta1228VIPDined on 8/5/2013Great location but food and service were not good at all.
- What a find!JCCLDined on 6/2/2013Swanky Sunday brunch spot. And, food was so fresh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed the cocktails,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/2013We really enjoyed the cocktails, food and service. We will be returning for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BAD Service...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/12/2013What a shame!! My husband, three sons and I just returned from a late brunch at The Front Room. It was our first time there and certainly will be our last. While the food wasn't bad it certainly wasn't outstanding. The service, however, was the worst I've experienced in Dallas...that's really bad! The restaurant was basically empty when we arrived...maybe 3 or 4 tables filled. We noticed what seemed to be two managers on duty in addition to seven or eight servers. With ample staff and few patrons..we were left with empty water glasses, slow offers of refills of drinks, etc.. Our food took at least thirty minutes to come out and even then all three of my sons' orders were wrong. I would not recommend The Front Porch to anyone...
- disappointment in the friedMichaelVIPDined on 5/10/2013disappointment in the fried chicken which I read was supposed to be so good
- Thought the food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/4/2013Thought the food was great and the service was really good too. A very enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent breakfast placeTripletsDadVIPDined on 4/29/2013Good place for a business breakfast. Tables are a bit wide, but it's clean and food was all very good. A tad slow on refilling the coffee cups, but everyone was quite friendly. Would def go back except no self-park, and I'm not a fan of valet parking when they park the car ten feet from the checkstand.