570 4th Street
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fringalesf.com/
- Phone: 4155430573
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Basque, French
- Executive Chef: Tripp Mauldin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Buy-outs are an option at Fringale.
- Private Party Contact: Jean-Marie Legendre 4155430573
- Special Events: Come join us for our Signature Dish menu Sun-Fri from 5:30-6:30 for $32.95. Traditional duck confit, Alaskan wild salmon, bacon wrapped pork tenderloin will be featured.
A word from Fringale
Fringale, which means "the urge to eat," has been a major contributor to San Francisco's South of Market culinary renaissance. From its opening fourteen years ago, it has remained a favorite dining spot for food lovers, socialites, politicians, artists, celebrities, and journalists. The restaurant's sponged eggshell colored walls, blond wooden chairs, sand and earth toned banquettes and wainscoting, and verdigris bartop create a dining environment that is sophisticated, intimate, and inviting. Fringale is a place where guests can drop in for a glass of wine and snack at the bar or enjoy a tantalizing classic French bistro meal prepared by one of the finest kitchens in San Francisco. Come and experience why Fringale has been consistently rated one of the top French restaurants in San Francisco since its opening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Fringale - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Fringale reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (85)neighborhood gem (71)special occasion (54)romantic (47)notable wine list (32)great for lunch (20)good for groups (7)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Going StrongRdtheWrldTrvlerVIPDined on 10/20/2014Fringale has been around for a long time but they still manage to remain fresh and vibrant. They service French classics as well as variations on classics. Everything was delicious, the waiter charming, friendly and knowledgeable. I have not been for awhile and glad that I returned. So good.Special Features:
- Oldie but a goodiestlfoodieVIPDined on 10/19/2014The decor is a little dated but still charming but the food and service were top notch! The calamari was fantastic as we're the lamb chops. I'd definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Love this place!BaygirlDined on 10/19/2014This was my first visit but will not be my last. The duck confit was perfection! The service was impeccable and the atmosphere inviting. Although a small venue I never felt crowded nor was the noise too much. It reminds me of a typical 6th District bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French Food At FringaleGFOODVIPDined on 10/18/2014We always love going to Fringale. The food is well prepared, always something unique on the menu, and just delicious. It's a great restaurant to enjoy French food. They also have a full bar and an excellent wine list. You won't be disappointed in the dining experience at Fringale.Special Features:
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We had the Coque Au Vin, Spinach Ravioli and Bacon wrapped Pork. The three of them were DELICIOUS!. I'm giving 4 stars because the desserts were not that good as the entrees.Special Features:
- Firing ale--worth a detourTastefulDined on 10/11/2014Our go-to restaurant for good food and service in a lively but non-deafening environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fringale surprisesPeachesVIPDined on 10/10/2014We had opera tickets and wanted to get a good meal beforehand. Fringale was a new restaurant for us although it has been around a long time. We were surprised by the quality of all elements of this small restaurant. Staff were incredibly attentive and accommodated our time imits without feeling rushed. Fantastic duck confit -- one of the best and coq au vin was equally satisfying. Definitely fit for foodies.Special Features:
- FringaleSteveLDined on 10/9/2014Our current favorite San Francisco restaurant. The food is always excellent, and a good value as well.Special Features:
- great service. great food.WorkTravelerVIPDined on 10/7/2014we got off to a great start with drinks at the bar which included a great selection of wines by the glass. once seated the service was outstanding, and the food could not have been better. great depth and layers of flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantdcdinerVIPDined on 10/5/2014My husband and I tried Fringale and loved it. I started off with a lemon drop (only lightly sweetened), calamari for an appetizer, and a delicious sole dinner. Everything was delicious and the ambience is warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- Excellent French CuisinedatspeedVIPDined on 10/4/2014We enjoyed Fringale very much. The food and service is excellent. The ambiance is understated but warm. The menu is varied with fresh, local offerings. The portions are just right so you can order an appetizer, entrée and dessert and still be comfortable. The wine list is very good with reasonable prices. The service was perfect, just the right pace. We'll be back again.Special Features:
- Perfect Paris BistroTrimalchioDined on 10/4/2014I've been to Fringale a dozen times over the years and always found the food beautifully prepared and presented contemporary bistro fare. Each dish has a telling accent, often Basque, which makes it more than just a faithful copy The service is invariably professional and unobtrusive in the best French manner, the ambiance gracious and unhurried and the prices remarkably reasonable. As importantly, I have found Fringale remarkably consistent - the sign of a truly well-managed establishment. This is the neighborhood bistro you wish you found in Paris but never did. The perfect spot for an intimate lunch or dinner with a special friend or long-time colleague.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timetsawDined on 9/29/2014My boyfriend's not usually a fan of French food, but he was raving over Fringale. I ordered the prawns, duck confit, and creme brulee and it was amazing. Service was also great. I have a baby face and servers typically ignore me, treating me like a kid, so I appreciated the great service. Street parking was 25 cents a hour after 6, so very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FringaleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014The food was very good, reasonable amount of selections. Service was attentive. Tables a bit close and tight. Had placed note in open table reservation about a 65th birthday and they brought candle on desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/22/2014I had a Fabulous time reconnecting with friends over a mouth watering meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FringaleMinnieDined on 9/20/2014This was a terrific restaurant. We had a fantastic dinner, service was great and they called a taxi for us before I asked, knowing we needed to make an 8pm curtain at the Orpheum. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Never a bad meal at FringaleEddieVIPDined on 9/19/2014I love this restaurant. The food is rustic yet elegant and rich in that special way that only French know how. The service is consistently friendly yet unobtrusive.Special Features:
- DELIGHTFUL DINNERgourmetbobDined on 9/19/2014Our party of four had a very enjoyable evening on a Friday. The service was friendly and helpful. Fringale has the feel of a slightly upscale neighborhood restaurant in Paris (without the "attitude"}. They have a great selection of starters and were happy to split orders. I have gone to Fringale for many years and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Still the best!Bigpa6Dined on 9/18/2014As I knew it would, Fringale once again hit it out if the park. Same friendly owner, new waiter and good off the charts! Was great to come home again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic French GastronomieOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2014Excellent traditional French food, served very professionally by true French waiters (but without the bad attitude!). I was surprised by the reasonable prices, especially for the Menu Prix Fixe (3 courses). Cozy & small restaurant makes for a romantic setting. Try to get a window seat (for 2 only) - they're the most romantic - even if the view isn't much. Walking distance to CalTrain makes it accessible for folks from the Peninsula.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday DinnerddmontyDined on 9/14/2014Nothing but 5 star food and service. First time here and loved everything about the place. A little tight on space but the food made up for it. Can not wait to return!Special Features:
- OK service124871Dined on 9/11/2014The food was good, and a bottle of Pinot was good, but Pinot by the glass was not so good. Their service was not so good as they tried to clear the plates even though we were still working.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/10/2014Overall4stars because food was a bit greasy and prepared earlier then warmed up...tasted kind of limp and old ...service was fair. Not,attentive but adequate
- Fabulous dinnerYoungprofdinerVIPDined on 9/5/2014This place was a really great find! Overall the food was excellent. The mussels were slightly disappointing -- the broth was highly vinegary/acidic, not something rich you'd like to dip bread into (which is clearly the best part). However, the lamb chops I had were excellent, and my family was very impressed with their dishes as well. Our waiter was wonderful -- friendly, attentive but not overly so, and even made some useful recommendations.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Again the dinner was great because of the food. Our young server had a slight " attitude". But for that, I'd again give the A+. EdSpecial Features:
- Food order accountingsatisfiedDined on 8/26/2014for some reason, I was not provided with the food order listing the entrees and wine and drinks we ordered. I was given a almost unreadable copy. I did not have time to stay and press them for it.Special Features:
- POINTSCLOBROVIPDined on 8/21/2014The meal and service were outstanding as usual. I had two small plates the other people had full meals, all were wonderful. The only problem was that it was supposed to be a 1000 point time, but I only received 100 points.Special Features:
- French GemFrenchFoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014Fringale is quite a delight! It has an intimate and elegant atmosphere that the French do best. The staff are friendly and authentically French. The wine list is excellent and reasonably priced. The Monterey calamari appetizer is a must-order and staple of the menu. When in season (only twice a year), the cassoulet is one of the best outside of France. Any francophile or food lover will have an enjoyable experience here!Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014I took my girlfriend here for our 1 year and was not disappointed, our server while I forget his name was very knowledgeable and also pretty funny. The food was great and the chocolate truffles with cookies were amazing.Special Features:
- Fringale is Fab...SallyCaliVIPDined on 8/7/2014Had a group Ladies Lunch here. The resto is lovely, clean & bright. The atmosphere is warm. The place was busy, but not crowded and we had nice folks around us. We had everything from salmon burgers to mussels to roquefort ravioli. All were prepared beautifully, and delicious. Maybe a bit heavy on the mounds of plain greens on the plate, otherwise there was nice portion size and entrees cooked to order. Wait staff seemed a bit overworked, although there were many of them and it was not a full resto. There's not much going on in this 'hood during the day, which was good as we work in SOMA which is crazy with auto & foot traffic. Definitely worth the walk, you will enjoy the food & wine, and can take your time to also enjoy you lunch guests.Special Features:
- love fringale been coming for yearsHentisVIPDined on 8/6/2014great food, great wait staff, small and charming, won't break the bank. love it!Special Features:
- Small But Worth the WalkhappycamperDined on 8/3/2014Fringale has been around for a while so the service and the food are smooth and effortless. Nothing flashy, just good French/Basque food with professional service.Special Features:
- Love it....vh007VIPDined on 8/1/2014Found this on whim and tried it. What a fantastic meal. The service "wow", the best. Definitely, we'll be back and on to my list of favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OhioVisitVIPDined on 7/28/2014Good food. Good service. Tight space. Limited room in between tables. You wiIl be sharing your conversation with others. Friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back againFredDined on 7/28/2014It had been fifteen years since we had eaten at Fringale and the second experience was as enjoyable as the first. A fine restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, not welcoming serviceSacdinerVIPDined on 7/26/2014We hit this place after a Giant's game as its relatively close to AT&T Park and is open late. The ambiance is cool...small, compact, a real bistro type gem. Unfortunately, we didn't feel very welcomed. No one at the door to greet us, the bartender told us we could hang at the bar until our table was ready, and then walked off to the other end of the bar to chat with others. The 4 of us had a hell of a time getting his attention for a drink and when he delivered, it was almost reluctantly. Food was good, although my veal short ribs were quite fatty. Others had duck confit (excellent); rack of lamb (good, but mediocre serving; and chicken (excellent). Deserts and starters good, not over the top. Wait service good; bar service terrible.Special Features:
- A Delightful eveningdinewellDined on 7/26/2014The fixed price menu had coque vin with a choice of spinach ravioli (superb) or butter lettuce salad (very good). The coque vin was some of the best I've had and would highly recommend it next time it's on the menu. Dessert was an almond tart filled with a thin layer of custard which was also excellent. All the delicious food combined with attentive and knowledgable service made for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nick1Dined on 7/20/2014Food quality was overall good at reasonable prices. I was a little disappointed by the Coq au Vin dish, chicken was over-stewed.Special Features:
- Classic French farePasta47VIPDined on 7/19/2014We had not eaten at Fringale for a number of years and were excited to be able to return. It was just as terrific as always. The food ,ambience ,and service were outstanding ,and we were able to enjoy a very pleasant Saturday evening. We will certainly be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alwat good!italiangemVIPDined on 7/18/2014We've eaten here many times, and its always excellent. The prawns are to die for and the sea bass is great. It's always consistent.Special Features: