570 4th Street
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fringalesf.com/
- Phone: 4155430573
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Basque, French
- Executive Chef: Tripp Mauldin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Buy-outs are an option at Fringale.
- Private Party Contact: Jean-Marie Legendre 4155430573
- Special Events: Come join us for our Signature Dish menu Sun-Fri from 5:30-6:30 for $32.95. Traditional duck confit, Alaskan wild salmon, bacon wrapped pork tenderloin will be featured.
A word from Fringale
Fringale, which means "the urge to eat," has been a major contributor to San Francisco's South of Market culinary renaissance. From its opening fourteen years ago, it has remained a favorite dining spot for food lovers, socialites, politicians, artists, celebrities, and journalists. The restaurant's sponged eggshell colored walls, blond wooden chairs, sand and earth toned banquettes and wainscoting, and verdigris bartop create a dining environment that is sophisticated, intimate, and inviting. Fringale is a place where guests can drop in for a glass of wine and snack at the bar or enjoy a tantalizing classic French bistro meal prepared by one of the finest kitchens in San Francisco. Come and experience why Fringale has been consistently rated one of the top French restaurants in San Francisco since its opening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Fringale - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Fringale reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)neighborhood gem (74)special occasion (57)romantic (51)notable wine list (30)great for lunch (16)late-night find (6)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- A good place to go for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/8/2036A good place to go for lunch and after work drinks.Special Features:
- Best Birthday DinnerddmontyDined on 9/14/2014Nothing but 5 star food and service. First time here and loved everything about the place. A little tight on space but the food made up for it. Can not wait to return!Special Features:
- OK service124871Dined on 9/11/2014The food was good, and a bottle of Pinot was good, but Pinot by the glass was not so good. Their service was not so good as they tried to clear the plates even though we were still working.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/10/2014Overall4stars because food was a bit greasy and prepared earlier then warmed up...tasted kind of limp and old ...service was fair. Not,attentive but adequate
- Fabulous dinnerYoungprofdinerVIPDined on 9/5/2014This place was a really great find! Overall the food was excellent. The mussels were slightly disappointing -- the broth was highly vinegary/acidic, not something rich you'd like to dip bread into (which is clearly the best part). However, the lamb chops I had were excellent, and my family was very impressed with their dishes as well. Our waiter was wonderful -- friendly, attentive but not overly so, and even made some useful recommendations.Special Features:
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Again the dinner was great because of the food. Our young server had a slight " attitude". But for that, I'd again give the A+. EdSpecial Features:
- Food order accountingsatisfiedDined on 8/26/2014for some reason, I was not provided with the food order listing the entrees and wine and drinks we ordered. I was given a almost unreadable copy. I did not have time to stay and press them for it.Special Features:
- POINTSCLOBROVIPDined on 8/21/2014The meal and service were outstanding as usual. I had two small plates the other people had full meals, all were wonderful. The only problem was that it was supposed to be a 1000 point time, but I only received 100 points.Special Features:
- French GemFrenchFoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014Fringale is quite a delight! It has an intimate and elegant atmosphere that the French do best. The staff are friendly and authentically French. The wine list is excellent and reasonably priced. The Monterey calamari appetizer is a must-order and staple of the menu. When in season (only twice a year), the cassoulet is one of the best outside of France. Any francophile or food lover will have an enjoyable experience here!Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014I took my girlfriend here for our 1 year and was not disappointed, our server while I forget his name was very knowledgeable and also pretty funny. The food was great and the chocolate truffles with cookies were amazing.Special Features:
- Fringale is Fab...SallyCaliVIPDined on 8/7/2014Had a group Ladies Lunch here. The resto is lovely, clean & bright. The atmosphere is warm. The place was busy, but not crowded and we had nice folks around us. We had everything from salmon burgers to mussels to roquefort ravioli. All were prepared beautifully, and delicious. Maybe a bit heavy on the mounds of plain greens on the plate, otherwise there was nice portion size and entrees cooked to order. Wait staff seemed a bit overworked, although there were many of them and it was not a full resto. There's not much going on in this 'hood during the day, which was good as we work in SOMA which is crazy with auto & foot traffic. Definitely worth the walk, you will enjoy the food & wine, and can take your time to also enjoy you lunch guests.Special Features:
- love fringale been coming for yearsHentisVIPDined on 8/6/2014great food, great wait staff, small and charming, won't break the bank. love it!Special Features:
- Small But Worth the WalkhappycamperDined on 8/3/2014Fringale has been around for a while so the service and the food are smooth and effortless. Nothing flashy, just good French/Basque food with professional service.Special Features:
- Love it....vh007VIPDined on 8/1/2014Found this on whim and tried it. What a fantastic meal. The service "wow", the best. Definitely, we'll be back and on to my list of favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OhioVisitVIPDined on 7/28/2014Good food. Good service. Tight space. Limited room in between tables. You wiIl be sharing your conversation with others. Friendly atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back againFredDined on 7/28/2014It had been fifteen years since we had eaten at Fringale and the second experience was as enjoyable as the first. A fine restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, not welcoming serviceSacdinerVIPDined on 7/26/2014We hit this place after a Giant's game as its relatively close to AT&T Park and is open late. The ambiance is cool...small, compact, a real bistro type gem. Unfortunately, we didn't feel very welcomed. No one at the door to greet us, the bartender told us we could hang at the bar until our table was ready, and then walked off to the other end of the bar to chat with others. The 4 of us had a hell of a time getting his attention for a drink and when he delivered, it was almost reluctantly. Food was good, although my veal short ribs were quite fatty. Others had duck confit (excellent); rack of lamb (good, but mediocre serving; and chicken (excellent). Deserts and starters good, not over the top. Wait service good; bar service terrible.Special Features:
- A Delightful eveningdinewellDined on 7/26/2014The fixed price menu had coque vin with a choice of spinach ravioli (superb) or butter lettuce salad (very good). The coque vin was some of the best I've had and would highly recommend it next time it's on the menu. Dessert was an almond tart filled with a thin layer of custard which was also excellent. All the delicious food combined with attentive and knowledgable service made for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nick1Dined on 7/20/2014Food quality was overall good at reasonable prices. I was a little disappointed by the Coq au Vin dish, chicken was over-stewed.Special Features:
- Classic French farePasta47VIPDined on 7/19/2014We had not eaten at Fringale for a number of years and were excited to be able to return. It was just as terrific as always. The food ,ambience ,and service were outstanding ,and we were able to enjoy a very pleasant Saturday evening. We will certainly be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- alwat good!italiangemVIPDined on 7/18/2014We've eaten here many times, and its always excellent. The prawns are to die for and the sea bass is great. It's always consistent.Special Features:
- Always outstandingEddieVIPDined on 7/17/2014Every time I eat at Fringale, I think to myself, "Merci beaucoup." The food is always authentic and delicious, perfectly prepared, and served by a professional wait staff.Special Features:
- ExquisiteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2014Food was exquisite and the service was superb - wonderful French food complete with friendly French speaking waiters'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- as good as alwayswoosmileyVIPDined on 7/13/2014Excellent service, delicious food! We had the Bastille Day special pre-fixe. Frisee salad, beef carpaccio, braised lamb shank, duck confit, almond cake, and crème brulee, just fabulous!Special Features:
- Can't beat this French BistroGreatVIPDined on 7/12/2014San Francisco has a great streak of fine French dining opportunities but this place has moved to the top of our choices. Very friendly, ith excellent service and great food and wine selections. The Adelsheim Pinot Noir was fantastic and in unavailable by retail anywhere. We find this a consistently excellent dining event. It's packed but still quiet enough to carry on a conversation, unlike some others.Special Features:
- always a treatpckOAKDined on 7/9/2014I love this restaurant. The food is exceptional, and it has the nicest , low key, yet attentive and professional wait staff. I have been here several times, and am never disappointed. Without directly being told , the waiter figured out that three of four of us were having birthdays, and brought out desserts with candles at the end. Really lovely wine list. Apparently , the veal short ribs got the highest marks the evening we were there,Special Features:
- Always a pleasureOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/9/2014I've eaten here a few times, first because it was convenient to the Bay Bridge and where relatives live in SOMA, subsequently because it's such a pleasure. I've had a romantic dinner here with my husband, a couple of fun meals with my son and early supper with a friend. Always, the food has ranged from very good to superb (fantastic prawns in tomato-tarragon coulis; coq au vin to die) and the service warm and attentive. Just entering the place -- cozy, lovely art on the walls, you feel comfortable and cared for. No pretense, just elegant service and reliably delicious food.Special Features:
- Great Food Great ServiceJeneire22Dined on 7/7/2014Went here for my birthday , had such a lovely evening, tried the Duck. It was really tasty..I even got a birthday candle on my desert which was a nice touch. Loved how the waiters spoke french, will def eat here againSpecial Features:
- This place is an institutionzeroneDined on 7/3/2014Fabulous food, drink, and service. Thanks to the attentive staff.Special Features:
- Special Lunch Made SpecialJinMBDined on 7/1/2014Work in the area and took an overseas university student to lunch the day before his return to Korea. Lunch and service were absolutely wonderful. The waiter was very friendly and efficient and made us very comfy the entire time we were there. I had previously avoided lunching at Fringale fearing it might be either too pricey or too pretentious but it was neither and I will certainly return there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fringalegnts9rsDined on 6/29/2014Fringale is always excellent in every aspect of our dining experience from service, presentation, quality of the food, and friendliness and helpfulness of the staff.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Consistently good quality, unique flavors, small friendly staff. A neighborhood delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New SF FavoriteChrisDined on 6/28/2014My wife and I decided to have blind faith in Yelp's #1 SOMA restaurant rating. It paid off. We enjoyed a perfect dining experience. The calamari 'a la plancha' was the best I've ever had. Service is impeccable. The restaurant is 'cozy', but conversation doesn't require amplification. Fringale will continue to be part of our theater-going jaunts into the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and serviceCleanairgalVIPDined on 6/25/2014I took my relative here for dinner. We are both vegetarian and do not drink alcohol and we have a lovely meal. We loved the food, ambiance, service and enjoyed our slow pace. We took more than 2 hours for dinner and never felt rushed. This is a lovely restaurant with very nice staff. I highly recommend it and look forward to my next meal here.Special Features:
- The menu was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014Coq au vin and gateau basque were especially tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/18/2014Fringale is a lovely little oasis on busy 4th and Brannan. Pleasant decor, unhurried but attentive, impeccable service and excellent food. My friend and I had beautiful fresh salads, a wild salmon over delicious vegetables with a tomato coulis, and a pork tenderloin with apples and cabbages; everything was delicious. We went early so the restaurant was quiet; when full I'd say moderate, but because it's a bistro with close seating it depends on the volume of fellow diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014I really appreciate the quality and reasonable price of this friendly and unpretentious restaurant..The menu is a delight and the service is excellent.Special Features:
- Went there for Dine About Town SfSeabayVIPDined on 6/11/2014Dine About Town menu was very impressive! Appetizer: Spicy Monterey Calamari à La Plancha Entrée: Roasted rack of lamb Dessert: Warm chocolate Gourmand (Flourless chocolate cake served with a mint sorbet)Special Features:
- Would Love to come back!TamsterDined on 6/11/2014Fringale's food and service was amazing! We had DINE ABOUT TOWN and we loved everything on the menu..especially the calamari. I will definitely come back and try to full menu. YUMMMM!Special Features:
- Great food!IowryaDined on 6/10/2014The welcome would be described as subdued. While the staff gets you off to a slow start, the drinks were excellent and the food was even better. By the end of the meal, the staff had shrugged off their sober demeanor and livened up. Great meal before taking in the Giants game at AT&T park which is only 4 blocks away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.