570 4th Street
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fringalesf.com/
- Phone: (415) 543-0573
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Basque, French
- Executive Chef: Tripp Mauldin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Buy-outs are an option at Fringale.
- Private Party Contact: Jean-Marie Legendre 4155430573
- Special Events: Come join us for our Signature Dish menu Sun-Fri from 5:30-6:30 for $32.95. Traditional duck confit, Alaskan wild salmon, bacon wrapped pork tenderloin will be featured.
A word from Fringale
Fringale, which means "the urge to eat," has been a major contributor to San Francisco's South of Market culinary renaissance. From its opening fourteen years ago, it has remained a favorite dining spot for food lovers, socialites, politicians, artists, celebrities, and journalists. The restaurant's sponged eggshell colored walls, blond wooden chairs, sand and earth toned banquettes and wainscoting, and verdigris bartop create a dining environment that is sophisticated, intimate, and inviting. Fringale is a place where guests can drop in for a glass of wine and snack at the bar or enjoy a tantalizing classic French bistro meal prepared by one of the finest kitchens in San Francisco. Come and experience why Fringale has been consistently rated one of the top French restaurants in San Francisco since its opening.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Fringale - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Fringale reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (77)neighborhood gem (68)special occasion (43)romantic (39)notable wine list (26)great for lunch (16)good for groups (9)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- SuperbjhporterVIPDined on 11/18/2014I have been going to Fringale since it opened. Never once, in all those years, has it missed. Lunch is excellent, dinner service is superb. It's specialties are truly special (the cassoulet at the moment is unspeakable it is so good. The desserts are discreet but delicious. Nothing about Fringale, esp. including the wait-staff is anything but sukperb. My only wish: they would take out 2 or 3 tables. Room is at a premium. Beyond that, it is perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for years!kinganaVIPDined on 11/14/2014I went back after not being there for so long. It was just as wonderful as I remember. A true French experience. Actually, such a nice break from all the new, hip restaurants that can feel all the same. I'm glad I went!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The same great food and service for 20+ yearsEddieVIPDined on 11/13/2014I remember back when Fringale first opened its doors. It was a jammed every night because the food was so delicious and so very French. The same is true today, although some of the crowd has migrated to other newer restaurants. But the food and the service, including most of the staff, are still the same and still as good as ever. You can go wrong with Fringale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/9/2014Had a great Sunday night dinner at Fringale. Loved the prawns in pastis and the special butternut squash soup. Rack of lamb is probably the best in San Francisco. Also really liked the steak with red wine butter. For dessert there was a tiramisu special that was great, as was the hazelnut mousse cake. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Great Place, Great FoodtopcitydinerDined on 11/8/2014My wife had never had a steak dinner. I did some research online and found this gem of a place. We ordered the Creekstone Farm ribeye and it came out 5 minutes after we ordered it. My wife was not disappointed with her first steak experience and neither was I. It was cooked to perfection. My only complaint was that we were not waited on as much as we anticipated we'd be and the noise from the outside traffic. Would I recommend this place? Yes. Will I come here again? Yes.Special Features:
- DinnerSatisfiedDined on 11/7/2014Again, the friendly service, fantastic French food and general overall feeling makes it a restaurant you want to return to.Special Features:
- GDubVIPDined on 11/6/2014Great and consistent - staff, chef and quality. Basque influenced French. LovelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going StrongRdtheWrldTrvlerVIPDined on 10/20/2014Fringale has been around for a long time but they still manage to remain fresh and vibrant. They service French classics as well as variations on classics. Everything was delicious, the waiter charming, friendly and knowledgeable. I have not been for awhile and glad that I returned. So good.Special Features:
- Oldie but a goodiestlfoodieVIPDined on 10/19/2014The decor is a little dated but still charming but the food and service were top notch! The calamari was fantastic as we're the lamb chops. I'd definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Love this place!BaygirlDined on 10/19/2014This was my first visit but will not be my last. The duck confit was perfection! The service was impeccable and the atmosphere inviting. Although a small venue I never felt crowded nor was the noise too much. It reminds me of a typical 6th District bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French Food At FringaleGFOODVIPDined on 10/18/2014We always love going to Fringale. The food is well prepared, always something unique on the menu, and just delicious. It's a great restaurant to enjoy French food. They also have a full bar and an excellent wine list. You won't be disappointed in the dining experience at Fringale.Special Features:
- Solid French/Basque CuisineFood4thoughtVIPDined on 10/13/2014Very good food, the owner acting as bartender, decent wine list. Service was ok, not great. Would recommend coming to eat here anytime they're open, as the food really is that good. Definitely get the prawns in pastis, and plenty of bread to mop up the sauce with. The duck is also very tasty, and the veal short ribs were fall off the bone tender and super delicious. Dessert was the least amazing of the three courses, but was still tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014We had the Coque Au Vin, Spinach Ravioli and Bacon wrapped Pork. The three of them were DELICIOUS!. I'm giving 4 stars because the desserts were not that good as the entrees.Special Features:
- Firing ale--worth a detourTastefulDined on 10/11/2014Our go-to restaurant for good food and service in a lively but non-deafening environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fringale surprisesPeachesVIPDined on 10/10/2014We had opera tickets and wanted to get a good meal beforehand. Fringale was a new restaurant for us although it has been around a long time. We were surprised by the quality of all elements of this small restaurant. Staff were incredibly attentive and accommodated our time imits without feeling rushed. Fantastic duck confit -- one of the best and coq au vin was equally satisfying. Definitely fit for foodies.Special Features:
- FringaleSteveLDined on 10/9/2014Our current favorite San Francisco restaurant. The food is always excellent, and a good value as well.Special Features:
- great service. great food.WorkTravelerVIPDined on 10/7/2014we got off to a great start with drinks at the bar which included a great selection of wines by the glass. once seated the service was outstanding, and the food could not have been better. great depth and layers of flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantdcdinerVIPDined on 10/5/2014My husband and I tried Fringale and loved it. I started off with a lemon drop (only lightly sweetened), calamari for an appetizer, and a delicious sole dinner. Everything was delicious and the ambience is warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- Excellent French CuisinedatspeedVIPDined on 10/4/2014We enjoyed Fringale very much. The food and service is excellent. The ambiance is understated but warm. The menu is varied with fresh, local offerings. The portions are just right so you can order an appetizer, entrée and dessert and still be comfortable. The wine list is very good with reasonable prices. The service was perfect, just the right pace. We'll be back again.Special Features:
- Perfect Paris BistroTrimalchioDined on 10/4/2014I've been to Fringale a dozen times over the years and always found the food beautifully prepared and presented contemporary bistro fare. Each dish has a telling accent, often Basque, which makes it more than just a faithful copy The service is invariably professional and unobtrusive in the best French manner, the ambiance gracious and unhurried and the prices remarkably reasonable. As importantly, I have found Fringale remarkably consistent - the sign of a truly well-managed establishment. This is the neighborhood bistro you wish you found in Paris but never did. The perfect spot for an intimate lunch or dinner with a special friend or long-time colleague.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timetsawDined on 9/29/2014My boyfriend's not usually a fan of French food, but he was raving over Fringale. I ordered the prawns, duck confit, and creme brulee and it was amazing. Service was also great. I have a baby face and servers typically ignore me, treating me like a kid, so I appreciated the great service. Street parking was 25 cents a hour after 6, so very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FringaleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014The food was very good, reasonable amount of selections. Service was attentive. Tables a bit close and tight. Had placed note in open table reservation about a 65th birthday and they brought candle on desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/22/2014I had a Fabulous time reconnecting with friends over a mouth watering meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FringaleMinnieDined on 9/20/2014This was a terrific restaurant. We had a fantastic dinner, service was great and they called a taxi for us before I asked, knowing we needed to make an 8pm curtain at the Orpheum. Thank youSpecial Features:
- Never a bad meal at FringaleEddieVIPDined on 9/19/2014I love this restaurant. The food is rustic yet elegant and rich in that special way that only French know how. The service is consistently friendly yet unobtrusive.Special Features:
- DELIGHTFUL DINNERgourmetbobDined on 9/19/2014Our party of four had a very enjoyable evening on a Friday. The service was friendly and helpful. Fringale has the feel of a slightly upscale neighborhood restaurant in Paris (without the "attitude"}. They have a great selection of starters and were happy to split orders. I have gone to Fringale for many years and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Still the best!Bigpa6Dined on 9/18/2014As I knew it would, Fringale once again hit it out if the park. Same friendly owner, new waiter and good off the charts! Was great to come home again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic French GastronomieOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/15/2014Excellent traditional French food, served very professionally by true French waiters (but without the bad attitude!). I was surprised by the reasonable prices, especially for the Menu Prix Fixe (3 courses). Cozy & small restaurant makes for a romantic setting. Try to get a window seat (for 2 only) - they're the most romantic - even if the view isn't much. Walking distance to CalTrain makes it accessible for folks from the Peninsula.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday DinnerddmontyDined on 9/14/2014Nothing but 5 star food and service. First time here and loved everything about the place. A little tight on space but the food made up for it. Can not wait to return!Special Features:
- OK service124871Dined on 9/11/2014The food was good, and a bottle of Pinot was good, but Pinot by the glass was not so good. Their service was not so good as they tried to clear the plates even though we were still working.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 9/10/2014Overall4stars because food was a bit greasy and prepared earlier then warmed up...tasted kind of limp and old ...service was fair. Not,attentive but adequate
- Fabulous dinnerYoungprofdinerVIPDined on 9/5/2014This place was a really great find! Overall the food was excellent. The mussels were slightly disappointing -- the broth was highly vinegary/acidic, not something rich you'd like to dip bread into (which is clearly the best part). However, the lamb chops I had were excellent, and my family was very impressed with their dishes as well. Our waiter was wonderful -- friendly, attentive but not overly so, and even made some useful recommendations.Special Features:
- ServiceSatisfiedDined on 8/31/2014Again the dinner was great because of the food. Our young server had a slight " attitude". But for that, I'd again give the A+. EdSpecial Features:
- Food order accountingsatisfiedDined on 8/26/2014for some reason, I was not provided with the food order listing the entrees and wine and drinks we ordered. I was given a almost unreadable copy. I did not have time to stay and press them for it.Special Features:
- POINTSCLOBROVIPDined on 8/21/2014The meal and service were outstanding as usual. I had two small plates the other people had full meals, all were wonderful. The only problem was that it was supposed to be a 1000 point time, but I only received 100 points.Special Features:
- French GemFrenchFoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014Fringale is quite a delight! It has an intimate and elegant atmosphere that the French do best. The staff are friendly and authentically French. The wine list is excellent and reasonably priced. The Monterey calamari appetizer is a must-order and staple of the menu. When in season (only twice a year), the cassoulet is one of the best outside of France. Any francophile or food lover will have an enjoyable experience here!Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014I took my girlfriend here for our 1 year and was not disappointed, our server while I forget his name was very knowledgeable and also pretty funny. The food was great and the chocolate truffles with cookies were amazing.Special Features:
- Fringale is Fab...SallyCaliVIPDined on 8/7/2014Had a group Ladies Lunch here. The resto is lovely, clean & bright. The atmosphere is warm. The place was busy, but not crowded and we had nice folks around us. We had everything from salmon burgers to mussels to roquefort ravioli. All were prepared beautifully, and delicious. Maybe a bit heavy on the mounds of plain greens on the plate, otherwise there was nice portion size and entrees cooked to order. Wait staff seemed a bit overworked, although there were many of them and it was not a full resto. There's not much going on in this 'hood during the day, which was good as we work in SOMA which is crazy with auto & foot traffic. Definitely worth the walk, you will enjoy the food & wine, and can take your time to also enjoy you lunch guests.Special Features:
- love fringale been coming for yearsHentisVIPDined on 8/6/2014great food, great wait staff, small and charming, won't break the bank. love it!Special Features:
- Small But Worth the WalkhappycamperDined on 8/3/2014Fringale has been around for a while so the service and the food are smooth and effortless. Nothing flashy, just good French/Basque food with professional service.Special Features: