710 N. Rush
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.friendssushi.com/
- Phone: 3127878998
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30AM - 3:00PM
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00PM - 10:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 3:00PM - 1:00AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We can cater to your private/corporate events, wedding, or birthday parties. Contact us about our competitive rates!
A word from Friends Sushi
Craving for a fresh sushi? Looking for a date spot? Want to try something new? Then come to Friends Sushi to treat your friends, family, or your loved ones with some amazing Japanese dishes and sushi!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Friends Sushi - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Friends Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)great for lunch (16)fit for foodies (15)romantic (13)hot spot (8)great for outdoor dining (7)late-night find (6)special occasion (6)vibrant bar scene (4)good for groups (4)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent Sushismithmp76VIPDined on 9/11/2014Friends Sushi is our favorite restaurant for Japanese cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experienceVeroDined on 9/4/2014As soon as we entered the restaurant, we liked it. The decor is cosy, a nice flower smell greets you at the door. The staff is very helpful and friendly The sushi is good, they have a selection to please everyone. Some of the sushi have cream cheese in them which my boyfriend does not like. The wine selection is also nice. Overall a great experienceSpecial Features:
- RKChicagodinerDined on 8/16/2014If you are a first timer to sushi, our waitress was terrific in helping us make suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California RolldjpittDined on 8/16/2014All the Sushi choices were delicious. The Signature Roll was very good. Our waitress suggested the King Crab version of the California Roll and it was outstanding. We ate very well.Special Features:
- Food is Always Excellent!PamIAmVIPDined on 8/4/2014We eat at Friends Sushi regularly and the food is always wonderful. We love the spicy Devil's Tuna maki and this time I really enjoyed the Sashimi Salad. Both meals were really fresh and great tasting. I would highly recommend this restaurant. Reservations are a great idea since it fills up fast.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014Everyone loved their dinners. We tried sashimi, spicey tuna rolls and salmon. Great meals, great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatKarenDined on 7/19/2014The sushi is always great at Friends. It is too bad that it is so small in there that you feel cramped and too close to others.Special Features:
- Yum!shellybDined on 7/12/2014Don't be fooled by the size of this sushi place. The food was outstanding. There were 5 of us and we got many different sushi rolls. They were all delicious! Super nice wait staff also.Special Features:
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Wonderful, fresh sushi and rolls. Service was excellent, prices very reasonable. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regular rotationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014We love Friends Sushi - it is a regular on our local spots to dine. I hesitate to write this positive review, as it is often very hard to get a table, especially on friday and saturday night! Great ambience, the sushi is great, and the staff are very friendly.Special Features:
- The following 152 reviews are from the Friends Sushi reviews archive.
- Sushi MagicOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/17/2014For our first time here, it was a very interesting and enjoyable experience. The restaurant was quite crowded and a bit noisy, but that only added to the sense that we were part of a great experience. My party of five enjoyed all of the sushi selections, the miso soup was very good and the chicken teriyaki was fabulous.Special Features:
- DisappointedMrJonesAndMeVIPDined on 4/12/2014Brought a friend from out of state for lunch. First time there, trusted the other reviews. The sushi rolls were small, bland, and did not seem super fresh. Service was inattentive. Would not go back, and would steer others away from visiting. The restaurant was dated and there wasn't much effort anywhere to give us a positive experience.
- Near North Side Sushi GemdanmillerDined on 4/7/2014Best value for sushi on the Near North Side. Friendly greeting, personable wait staff, upbeat attitude. This was a business lunch for a colleague and me, and the atmosphere was perfect: prompt, attentive service, no intrusive background music or boisterous diners, refills on soft drinks, delivery of the check right on schedule. The fish was as fresh as it gets downtown. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sashimiOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/27/2014The food and service were incredible. I had the sashimi platter. It wad enough food. Very tasty. I will be back for more when I am in town.Special Features:
- Crowded for a reasonTarynJVIPDined on 3/21/2014The food is consistently amazing; the restaurant is consistently packed. It's very small, so you almost always have to make a reservation or wait. Even if you're crammed in a corner, you'll have an awesome dining experience. The food is excellent, the service is fast, and the drinks are great. The moderately high prices are worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiWhiskeyPriest86Dined on 3/16/2014The food was Great. Not a regular list of rolls. They had a a great twist to most of the normal rolls you expect at sushi places. the sake was good and our drinks were tasty. my wife and i left full and happy :) The place is a bit narrow but not in a bad way. If you are not ok with tight eating space you might have an issue. But we had no problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow to be seated...ScottDined on 3/14/2014This is the third time I have been to Friends Sushi, and it is the third time it has taken forever to get a table. Even with a reservation you can expect about a 30-40 minute wait. I understand the restaurant is small and that makes things challenging sometimes but as a diner I would prefer they just didn't take reservations. That's really my only complaint with Friends. The sushi is always good and the prices are very reasonable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I could give it a betterBrenlrVIPDined on 3/14/2014Wish I could give it a better review because the sushi was good, but the overall experience was BAD. We had a reservation for 8:15 & arrived around 8 expecting we might have to wait a few minutes. Ended up waiting well over an hour. The place is tiny so there's nowhere to wait comfortably -- just a log jam of guests crammed in the entry waiting to be seated. We had a party of 3 and were told there was only 1 table in the restaurant that accommodated parties of 3 & they had seated someone else there shortly before we arrived. I thought the point of making a reservation was to avoid situations just like that. I even included a note in the reservation that I was entertaining biz associates. So much for making a good impression. Won't return.Special Features:
- Love this place!Sara2623VIPDined on 3/14/2014Wait staff is so friendly. Food is fresh, delicious and served very timely. Always busy and buzzing, so recommend reservations. By far my favorites are the Tuna Lovers maki roll, the steamed Chilean sea bass, and the banana tempura dessert (not an easy one to share!!)Special Features:
- good food and servicePizzaVIPDined on 3/13/2014Sushi is the best...original tasy rolls. Great service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it at FriendsJamieSDined on 3/11/2014I've been going to Friends for years and always recommend them to friends. I used to live down the street and their delivery was spot-on. I try and visit Friends every time I have a sushi craving and it has never been anything less than an awesome meal. In fact, I might take myself to dinner there again tonight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencewillydDined on 3/8/2014We eat a lot of sushi in the suburbs and wanted to experience sushi while in the city. Food was excellent and our server was very friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi!ale1234Dined on 2/27/2014The sushi is great! I've tried many sushi rolls (Maki) and they're always good. When I think in done eating I always end up ordering more. The place is a little tight but very nice, it also has a nice bar. I would definitely recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service could probably beLousyBarServiceVIPDined on 2/26/2014Service could probably be better. Quality very good. Bit spotty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiIreneVIPDined on 2/23/2014Nice neighborhood sushi place close to the magnificent mile. Good service. Sushi was fresh. Seaweed salad was good. Modern decor. Took my 7 year old & they were great with her. Seating is a bit cramped, but otherwise everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, atmosphereJsbornDined on 2/18/2014A colleague and I enjoyed very good sushi in a cool atmosphere, but poor service at the end marred our experience. We sat for almost 10 minutes at the end of our meal waiting for service, and when our dessert and sashimi-as-dessert came, the timing was way off, so we couldn't eat our dessert courses together (she couldn't wait--hers was ice cream). They also never brought us our second bottle of sake, and though they apologized I felt they should have done something extra given that we ate a $150+ meal. This is definitely a case of the end of an experience being most memorable. The food was good and the atmosphere was interesting and appropriate. I would give the restaurant a second chance.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food nice, Noise loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 2/17/2014Nice place however there is just little space between the tables and it can get very crowded. Also for a Sushi place where fresh fish is prepared it was very warm, probably due to the crowed. the service was nice until the discharge (after we paid), our waitress was at the exit when we lefty but did not (bother to) say good bye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a friend visiting whoLasanz85Dined on 2/15/2014I had a friend visiting who loves sushi, so after reading some Yelp reviews, I decided to make a reservation at Friends. When we arrived, I didn't realize how small the dining area is--it's pretty tiny. So, definitely make a reservation. We each go two maki rolls. I had the Crisp and Cream and it was good, but the star of the show for me was the spicy scallop roll. Both were fresh and flavorful, and both of my friends enjoyed theirs as well. Definitely recommend for a small group dinner. The restaurant is centrally located, so lots of post-dinner options around, if you'd like to stay downtown. Also, tons of takeout orders were placed while we were there, so that's also a good option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi DiscoJB123Dined on 2/15/2014Went for Sushi with my GF on Saturday after Vday. The food was good and the menu extensive. We arrived early (we had a reservation) and got a table right away - service and staff was very good. What I don’t like about the place is the atmosphere and the decor. the chairs are uncomfortable and make it difficult to hang your coat/jacket. Combined with the energetic electronic music it made the sushi experience... stressful but delicious.
- Good Sushi but not happy w seatsOylspyllDined on 2/6/2014Went there on Friday night after 8pm. We were seated promptly. They seated us in the far corner next to the kitchen. It's difficult to enjoy because you can hear the clanking of plates and my jacket smelled a little. The hostess never even asked us if this table was ok. The place was not full. There were a couple of tables open. I was thinking they were reserving it for groups of four but when the next two couples came, they got seated in the 4 chair table instead of our tiny claustrophobic table. I switched seats e my husband, server came and never even bothered to notice/ask if we were comfortable w our table. The sushi/maki was good. Fish tasted fresh. But it's hard to enjoy it when you're cramped in the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stylish hidden gem w/ food to matchSaCHImiDined on 2/3/2014I love Friends Sushi. I have been going here for years and it is easily one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite, sushi spot in the city. The location, service, atmosphere is fun and hip yet still intimate. The presentation and variety of menu items is perfect. I always recommend Friends to both locals and out-of-towners, it is truly a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect lunch spotMOmoVIPDined on 2/3/2014We went for a late mid-week lunch and had the restaurant almost to ourselves. Service was excellent and the sushi was delicious. It was difficult to choose from so many tempting offerings. The portions were large and fish very fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/1/2014Great food, but the service is lacking. We had a party of 5 and were shoved in the corner at a small table which could not accommodate more than 4. In fact, the 5th chair was a smaller version of the other chairs - would be great if one person from our party was a child or a midget, but that was not the case. Took 25 minutes before anyone took our drink order. Overall service was very slow, they didn't bring one of the rolls we ordered, they just dropped off a platter of rolls without explaining what was what and it was nearly impossible to get anyone to take our order for the next rounds of drinks.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great OpenTable Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/13/2014I was looking for a nice place to have a quick dinner in Chicago and discovered Friends Sushi thru OpenTable. It was exactly as the community described - very good food, friendly service, good energy. I'd definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/10/2014We had delicious food here served by a very sweet young woman. The Tofu salad was fantastic as was the crunchy salmon roll. The place is cramped and not really long on atmosphere but I'd go back without question.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2013The food was good but not great. I'm a big fan of sushi and have eaten at a variety of sushi restaurants, friends sushi is nothing to write home about. The decor was very contemporary and the service was slow - no fault of the waitress, seems to be the only person working there serving tables. Wasn't very friendly and seemed rushed. However, she did have patience with us when asked what was the most popular sushi etc. I wouldn't recommend this place if you love great sushi, it's good if you're looking for a quick bite to eat and not expecting much. I also found it pricey compared to other places I have been to where the sushi is of a higher quality.
- They don't know what chirashi isOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/25/2013I ordered chirashi but was served a plate a sashimi. When I mentioned the error they told me that there was no error. Not cool.
- Good food original locationMax74Dined on 12/25/2013Entering I was afraid it was not confortable because it is Avery small and the table are close. Dining I entered in the atmosphere and the food is unbelievable. RecommendedSpecial Features:
- No ToraOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013We actually chose this restaurant because we wanted Tora and it was advertised as having it. Imagine our disappointment when we walked there in extremely cold weather, and there was no Tora. However, the sushi we ordered was very good and the service was very good. The ambience is not good. Too many tables, too close together, and no style. But again, sushi was fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- KWoodKEVINWDined on 12/20/2013My new favorite place for sushi. Fresh, delicious fish. A++++ Small place...call for reservations to avoid waiting. I will absolutely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.