710 N. Rush
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.friendssushi.com/
- Phone: (312) 787-8998
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30AM - 3:00PM
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00PM - 10:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 3:00PM - 1:00AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We can cater to your private/corporate events, wedding, or birthday parties. Contact us about our competitive rates!
A word from Friends Sushi
Craving for a fresh sushi? Looking for a date spot? Want to try something new? Then come to Friends Sushi to treat your friends, family, or your loved ones with some amazing Japanese dishes and sushi!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSushi
Friends Sushi - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
Friends Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (24)romantic (16)hot spot (13)great for lunch (13)good for groups (9)special occasion (8)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Fantastic Sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014The plating was gorgeous and the maki were out of this world. I highly recommend their signature rolls as they were creative, delicious and worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality sushifoodluverchiDined on 11/21/2014I would recommend this restaurant because the quality of the sushi that we ate while we were there was incredible. The restaurant itself is tiny and cramped, and pretty loud. So I wouldnt advise trying to go with more then three people. You should also make a reservation for when you go a lot of people had to order carry out it seemed. The rolls were very creative though and they had an extensive selection. I would definitely go back to Friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is phenomenal, space is notbrunchedoutDined on 11/19/2014It's really easy to walk right past Friends without taking a second glance at the restaurant. The outside decor makes it look like a place you pay $10 for "gas station like" sushi. But upon entering, it's a modern, mid-price sushi restaurant with phenomenal quality sushi, We ordered about 6 different sushi entrees all of which were made to perfection. The only thing keeping me from saying I'll definitely come back is the size of the restaurant and the quality of the service. The tables are jam packed together. I could barely get to our table because the neighboring tables chairs were back-to-back. The waitress forgot to bring a few of the items we ordered so we had to remind her and we had to flag her down twice to get service when we were ready to order drinks and again for food. If you have the urge to go to Friends: throw on some sweatpants, get takeout and enjoy eating great sushi from the comfort of your own couch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT JAPANESE RESTAURANTDOONEDined on 11/16/2014EXCELLENT FOOD AND SERVICE. LOTS OF MENU ITEMS. ATMOSPHERE IS VERY FRIENDLY AND RELAXED.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friends is fun!AnthonyVIPDined on 11/6/2014Friends is my favorite sushi spot in the Gold Coast! It's been one of my "go-to" places for years. Super fresh fish, chic yet cozy atmosphere, friendly and attentive staff, and delicious sake & cocktails. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Sushi!swisschocolateDined on 11/3/2014We found this place via Open Table. The star rating absolutely does this place justice. From reception to waitress to Sushi it was a great experience. One of my colleagues from Europe stated "I've eaten a lot of Sushi in the last 10 years - this was by far the best". We had devil's and spicy tuna, king crab california, nama sake, maguro and and sushi deluxe - all of it was really delicious. Even the ginger was fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/20/2014First time dining at Friends and it did not disappoint. The Sushi was very fresh and the roles we orders were very tasty. Our server was attentive but not over barring. Great spot - can't wait to dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but poor light & loudcocoakittenDined on 10/11/2014We enjoyed the food, but find the noise level to be too loud for good conversation (ours was Saturday night dinner) and worse was that they dimmed the light right after we sat down making it very hard to read the menu. I guess the place is more for younger people. The food & the service were great though...Special Features:
- Excellent Sushismithmp76VIPDined on 9/11/2014Friends Sushi is our favorite restaurant for Japanese cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experienceVeroDined on 9/4/2014As soon as we entered the restaurant, we liked it. The decor is cosy, a nice flower smell greets you at the door. The staff is very helpful and friendly The sushi is good, they have a selection to please everyone. Some of the sushi have cream cheese in them which my boyfriend does not like. The wine selection is also nice. Overall a great experienceSpecial Features:
- RKChicagodinerDined on 8/16/2014If you are a first timer to sushi, our waitress was terrific in helping us make suggestions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California RolldjpittDined on 8/16/2014All the Sushi choices were delicious. The Signature Roll was very good. Our waitress suggested the King Crab version of the California Roll and it was outstanding. We ate very well.Special Features:
- Food is Always Excellent!PamIAmVIPDined on 8/4/2014We eat at Friends Sushi regularly and the food is always wonderful. We love the spicy Devil's Tuna maki and this time I really enjoyed the Sashimi Salad. Both meals were really fresh and great tasting. I would highly recommend this restaurant. Reservations are a great idea since it fills up fast.Special Features:
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2014Everyone loved their dinners. We tried sashimi, spicey tuna rolls and salmon. Great meals, great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 158 reviews are from the Friends Sushi reviews archive.
- greatKarenDined on 7/19/2014The sushi is always great at Friends. It is too bad that it is so small in there that you feel cramped and too close to others.Special Features:
- Good food but ummm......TipofTheTongueDined on 7/15/2014The food is very good here. Creative rolls. They know how to cook shrimp heads when you order ama ebi - delicately fried. Basic sashimi is just fine. The place can be noisy and the restaurant has a feel that it's meant for the under 35 crowd. The tables are close and the seating is odd. Being "over 35" I didn't feel that the setting was welcoming (please, this is NOT a reflection on the courtesy of the staff). I would focus my visits here for times when the restaurant is not very busy. If you are a beautiful person, go anytime!Special Features:
- Yum!shellybDined on 7/12/2014Don't be fooled by the size of this sushi place. The food was outstanding. There were 5 of us and we got many different sushi rolls. They were all delicious! Super nice wait staff also.Special Features:
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014Wonderful, fresh sushi and rolls. Service was excellent, prices very reasonable. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regular rotationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014We love Friends Sushi - it is a regular on our local spots to dine. I hesitate to write this positive review, as it is often very hard to get a table, especially on friday and saturday night! Great ambience, the sushi is great, and the staff are very friendly.Special Features:
- Sushi MagicOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/17/2014For our first time here, it was a very interesting and enjoyable experience. The restaurant was quite crowded and a bit noisy, but that only added to the sense that we were part of a great experience. My party of five enjoyed all of the sushi selections, the miso soup was very good and the chicken teriyaki was fabulous.Special Features:
- DisappointedMrJonesAndMeVIPDined on 4/12/2014Brought a friend from out of state for lunch. First time there, trusted the other reviews. The sushi rolls were small, bland, and did not seem super fresh. Service was inattentive. Would not go back, and would steer others away from visiting. The restaurant was dated and there wasn't much effort anywhere to give us a positive experience.
- Near North Side Sushi GemdanmillerDined on 4/7/2014Best value for sushi on the Near North Side. Friendly greeting, personable wait staff, upbeat attitude. This was a business lunch for a colleague and me, and the atmosphere was perfect: prompt, attentive service, no intrusive background music or boisterous diners, refills on soft drinks, delivery of the check right on schedule. The fish was as fresh as it gets downtown. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sashimiOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/27/2014The food and service were incredible. I had the sashimi platter. It wad enough food. Very tasty. I will be back for more when I am in town.Special Features:
- Crowded for a reasonTarynJVIPDined on 3/21/2014The food is consistently amazing; the restaurant is consistently packed. It's very small, so you almost always have to make a reservation or wait. Even if you're crammed in a corner, you'll have an awesome dining experience. The food is excellent, the service is fast, and the drinks are great. The moderately high prices are worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiWhiskeyPriest86Dined on 3/16/2014The food was Great. Not a regular list of rolls. They had a a great twist to most of the normal rolls you expect at sushi places. the sake was good and our drinks were tasty. my wife and i left full and happy :) The place is a bit narrow but not in a bad way. If you are not ok with tight eating space you might have an issue. But we had no problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow to be seated...ScottDined on 3/14/2014This is the third time I have been to Friends Sushi, and it is the third time it has taken forever to get a table. Even with a reservation you can expect about a 30-40 minute wait. I understand the restaurant is small and that makes things challenging sometimes but as a diner I would prefer they just didn't take reservations. That's really my only complaint with Friends. The sushi is always good and the prices are very reasonable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I could give it a betterBrenlrVIPDined on 3/14/2014Wish I could give it a better review because the sushi was good, but the overall experience was BAD. We had a reservation for 8:15 & arrived around 8 expecting we might have to wait a few minutes. Ended up waiting well over an hour. The place is tiny so there's nowhere to wait comfortably -- just a log jam of guests crammed in the entry waiting to be seated. We had a party of 3 and were told there was only 1 table in the restaurant that accommodated parties of 3 & they had seated someone else there shortly before we arrived. I thought the point of making a reservation was to avoid situations just like that. I even included a note in the reservation that I was entertaining biz associates. So much for making a good impression. Won't return.Special Features:
- Love this place!Sara2623VIPDined on 3/14/2014Wait staff is so friendly. Food is fresh, delicious and served very timely. Always busy and buzzing, so recommend reservations. By far my favorites are the Tuna Lovers maki roll, the steamed Chilean sea bass, and the banana tempura dessert (not an easy one to share!!)Special Features:
- good food and servicePizzaVIPDined on 3/13/2014Sushi is the best...original tasy rolls. Great service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it at FriendsJamieSDined on 3/11/2014I've been going to Friends for years and always recommend them to friends. I used to live down the street and their delivery was spot-on. I try and visit Friends every time I have a sushi craving and it has never been anything less than an awesome meal. In fact, I might take myself to dinner there again tonight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great experiencewillydDined on 3/8/2014We eat a lot of sushi in the suburbs and wanted to experience sushi while in the city. Food was excellent and our server was very friendly and knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi!ale1234Dined on 2/27/2014The sushi is great! I've tried many sushi rolls (Maki) and they're always good. When I think in done eating I always end up ordering more. The place is a little tight but very nice, it also has a nice bar. I would definitely recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service could probably beLousyBarServiceVIPDined on 2/26/2014Service could probably be better. Quality very good. Bit spotty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SushiIreneVIPDined on 2/23/2014Nice neighborhood sushi place close to the magnificent mile. Good service. Sushi was fresh. Seaweed salad was good. Modern decor. Took my 7 year old & they were great with her. Seating is a bit cramped, but otherwise everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, atmosphereJsbornDined on 2/18/2014A colleague and I enjoyed very good sushi in a cool atmosphere, but poor service at the end marred our experience. We sat for almost 10 minutes at the end of our meal waiting for service, and when our dessert and sashimi-as-dessert came, the timing was way off, so we couldn't eat our dessert courses together (she couldn't wait--hers was ice cream). They also never brought us our second bottle of sake, and though they apologized I felt they should have done something extra given that we ate a $150+ meal. This is definitely a case of the end of an experience being most memorable. The food was good and the atmosphere was interesting and appropriate. I would give the restaurant a second chance.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food nice, Noise loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 2/17/2014Nice place however there is just little space between the tables and it can get very crowded. Also for a Sushi place where fresh fish is prepared it was very warm, probably due to the crowed. the service was nice until the discharge (after we paid), our waitress was at the exit when we lefty but did not (bother to) say good bye.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a friend visiting whoLasanz85Dined on 2/15/2014I had a friend visiting who loves sushi, so after reading some Yelp reviews, I decided to make a reservation at Friends. When we arrived, I didn't realize how small the dining area is--it's pretty tiny. So, definitely make a reservation. We each go two maki rolls. I had the Crisp and Cream and it was good, but the star of the show for me was the spicy scallop roll. Both were fresh and flavorful, and both of my friends enjoyed theirs as well. Definitely recommend for a small group dinner. The restaurant is centrally located, so lots of post-dinner options around, if you'd like to stay downtown. Also, tons of takeout orders were placed while we were there, so that's also a good option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi DiscoJB123Dined on 2/15/2014Went for Sushi with my GF on Saturday after Vday. The food was good and the menu extensive. We arrived early (we had a reservation) and got a table right away - service and staff was very good. What I don’t like about the place is the atmosphere and the decor. the chairs are uncomfortable and make it difficult to hang your coat/jacket. Combined with the energetic electronic music it made the sushi experience... stressful but delicious.
- Good Sushi but not happy w seatsOylspyllDined on 2/6/2014Went there on Friday night after 8pm. We were seated promptly. They seated us in the far corner next to the kitchen. It's difficult to enjoy because you can hear the clanking of plates and my jacket smelled a little. The hostess never even asked us if this table was ok. The place was not full. There were a couple of tables open. I was thinking they were reserving it for groups of four but when the next two couples came, they got seated in the 4 chair table instead of our tiny claustrophobic table. I switched seats e my husband, server came and never even bothered to notice/ask if we were comfortable w our table. The sushi/maki was good. Fish tasted fresh. But it's hard to enjoy it when you're cramped in the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stylish hidden gem w/ food to matchSaCHImiDined on 2/3/2014I love Friends Sushi. I have been going here for years and it is easily one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite, sushi spot in the city. The location, service, atmosphere is fun and hip yet still intimate. The presentation and variety of menu items is perfect. I always recommend Friends to both locals and out-of-towners, it is truly a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.