Friends Lake Inn
963 Friends Lake Road
Chestertown, NY 12817Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Friends Lake Inn
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.friendslake.com/
- Phone: 5184944751x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Dewar
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The Wine Collection takes center stage at Friends Lake Inn. The Inn's wine collection has earned many awards including Wine Spectator's Grand Award 15 times. The cellar boasts around 10,000 bottles of wine with over 1000 selections from around the world.
The Wine list prices range from house wine selections at $22/bottle to prestigious vintages of Bordeaux and Burgundy in the thousands. The wine list features a very extensive selection of Cabernet Sauvignon, Meritage, Pinot Noir, Bordeaux, and Burgundy. However, the Inn is most proud of the array of high-quality reasonably priced California Wines that grace the selection.
Policies: All parties of 5 or larger require a credit card at the time of booking. There is a $25.00 per person fee for a party cancelled after 4:00pm on the day of the reservation. For our guests’ convenience, a standard 18% gratuity will be added to parties of 5 or more.
Please call for reservations (518) 494-4751
- Private Party Contact: Paul DiCresce 5184944751x
A word from Friends Lake Inn
Our regionally acclaimed Adirondack Inn captures the ambiance of the 19th century while specializing in sophisticated 21st century cuisine and service. Our Chef's imaginative New-American cuisine is exquisitely prepared and includes entree specials created daily and irresistible international desserts. Complement your selections with wine from our extensive collection.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Friends Lake Inn - Best Restaurants in Chestertown ›
Friends Lake Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (21)notable wine list (16)romantic (15)fit for foodies (14)scenic view (6)good for groups (4)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- New Management seems inexperiencedPiplorDined on 9/16/2014We have been customers of Friends Lake Inn for many, many years and this last visit was disappointing. The service was adequate but lacked the polish we had come to enjoy in the past. The food was unmemorable. The Smoked Strip Steak, tougher than average albeit, the flavor was quite good. the Filet Mignon... unimaginative served on top of mashed potatoes and definetly not Prime. The cheese platter contained, as one of the pieces, the rind of the Manchego cheese. When asked the waiter about it the respose was: "Some people eat it"...really? The prices have gone up, and the food/service down. Hopefully, they will get their act together and continue the tradition of excellence the Inn has always being famous for.Special Features:
- Superior food;beautiful settingFabfoodDined on 8/29/2014It had a been a long while since we had the pleasure of dining at Friends' Lake Inn and the food and atmosphere were even more perfect than we remembered. The only difficulty we encountered was selecting one bottle of wine from the incredible wine list. We will be certain not to wait long for our next visit. This is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wino's heavenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014Excellent food, amazing friendly service, out of this world wine list, old school adirondack decor, fantastic all around and highly recommended.Special Features:
- Romantic weekendLarryFDined on 8/22/2014It was our anniversary and we were treated like royalty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniv49Dined on 8/21/2014Excellent way to celebrate our anniversary. The Halibut entree was all one color in presentation (white) and was very bland in flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome AnniversaryTC89Dined on 7/22/2014Made our 25th Anniversary special in so many ways including special printed menus and dessert plates that said happy anniversarySpecial Features:
- Dinner for FourcmdtpdDined on 7/19/2014Perfect choice for dinner with visiting guests from the city after a day of rafting and hiking. Salads and duck were perfect as was the vodka gimlet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special FindOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/18/2014Friends Lake Inn never fails to hit the mark. Despite being "lost in the woods" it remains charming and impeccable. While the menu was not as exotic or unusual as in the past, the quality cannot be beat. Excellent food, perfectly prepared is a hallmark here.Special Features:
- CustomerDined on 7/12/2014New owners doing an excellent job. Wine list is super, especially by the glass. Will be back in the ADK in several weeks and expect to do at least two dinner there.Special Features:
- Needs workJoaniGVIPDined on 7/5/2014We brought two couples to Friends Lake on Saturday night expecting a fine dining experience. Unfortunately, we were all disappointed. We had to ask for bread. Five appetizers were served when the sixth was no where in sight. Having good manners, we all waited for our friend's appetizer to arrive causing the soups to get cold. They were removed and replaced with new hot ones, causing even more of a wait. Wine glasses were not refilled. They were out of one of the specials and we were told not to order the Bananas Foster (one of their dessert specialties) because the bananas were not ripe. None of this should have happened on July 4th weekend! I'm sure they expected the crowd they had - I know our reservations were made weeks in advance!Special Features:
- It's always goodswensodtsDined on 7/5/2014I've been coming to this place for over 10 years, it recently went to new owners and changes seem to be coming, it's a great restaurant and the food is excellent - Sometimes, I wish they offered a larger selection but each dish offered is excellent quality. Be aware it's not for everyone, it's what some could consider expensive.Special Features:
- Food find in the Adirondacks!UncleBuckVIPDined on 6/30/2014Enjoyed my first trip to Friends Lake Inn but it won't be my last. Terrific food, good service, and beautiful setting .... pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Upscale for the area but great for special occasions!Special Features:
- Love this gem!LIJaneDined on 6/27/2014We enjoy going to Friends Lake Inn a few times a year. The food is superb! We were lucky to go on Friday, the first day of the summer menu. From the antelope to the seafood to wonderful desserts. Another spectacular meal. We wish Maggie all the very best as the new owner - may many smiles come in to your Inn.Special Features:
- Fantastic mealeatonbros2Dined on 6/23/2014Recently dined at the Friends Lake Inn for the first time, meal was superb despite the quiet Monday night. Very impressed with the service, quality and presentation of the food, and of course, the wine list. Make sure to check out the wine cellar and shop in the basement, well done!Special Features:
- Always a great experienceEricandDeliciaDined on 6/3/2014Always a great meal. The menu is unique and the food is superb. Wine list is extensive. A pleasure to dine here.Special Features:
- The following 142 reviews are from the Friends Lake Inn reviews archive.
- DANNYBOYDined on 5/24/2014The dinning room just lends itself to an outstanding dinner experience. The steak specil ( ribeye with a fantastic rub) was out of this world. Also the wine selection was excelent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionmountainlaurelDined on 5/24/2014Even though I have lived in the Adirondacks for twenty two years this was our first dining experience at the Friends Lake Inn. The special occasion was my brothers birthday and I have to say from the time we entered the Inn until the time we left we were treated like royalty. The food was superb and the waitress we had (Joyce) was exceptional. If you need to celebrate a special occasion...this is the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friends Lake Inn for Easter 2014PJLGansevoortDined on 4/20/2014We live near this Inn and are regulars for special occasions. It is everything you can imagine for wonderful Inn experience. Excellent food, wait staff is long term, knowledgeable, experienced and outstanding. It is always special. We have also stayed overnight in the past and you can expect the same experience.Special Features:
- Good experienceNorthvillersDined on 3/23/2014We enjoyed our dinner. Service was fantastic. The appetizer was spectacular as well as the salad and dessert. The entree (rack of Lamb) was fatty and not cooked well enough but was still enjoyable. For the price I was disappointed in the main course but the rest of the meal was outstanding...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Great ServicegreatweekendDined on 3/22/2014The food and service were excellent! We ate in the dining area which was more formal for our special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy Fun family dinnerMcewenDined on 2/21/2014We had a great dinner, as usual, taking one new person to FLI and she loved it. My only complaint if that really was the warm spinach salad was off the menu and the cold spinach salad just didn't measure up. Also I think the cheese plate portion was much smaller then in past forcing us to order two to allow everyone a taste of all the cheese History coziness and generally tasty excellent food brings us back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for special occasions!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014My husband and I have celebrated our anniversary at Friends Lake Inn for the past 5 or 6 years. We love the food, wine and the ambience. But the little extras that they provide are priceless. Our table was set with a menu with "Congratulations on your 39th Anniversary" written at the top. There was also a card signed by all the staff. Our waitress was very attentive and served our dessert with Happy Anniversary written in chocolate. They made our anniversary very special. I recommend Friends Lake Inn for any special occasion. They won't disappoint you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Ambience and FoodirondaisyDined on 2/14/2014We waited until the last minute to schedule a Valentine's Day dinner and was lucky enough to find an open table at Friends Lake Inn. It couldn't have been a more romantic and wonderful experience. We especially enjoyed the fireplace and quaint decor. The location is off the beaten track which added to the feeling of a special occasion and the service was impeccable. We had two people waiting on us and they were both extremely nice and helpful. Friends Lake Inn will now be our go-to place for special dinners and I can't wait to go there in the summer time to see the views of the lake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great staffJeremyDined on 2/4/2014The food was fantastic, attention to the presentation of the meal was fabulous. The staff was wonderful. Our server helped make a special night eve more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/1/2013My hubby and I loved our meal. It was delicious! The staff was friendly. The place was quiet and nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Choice for ThanksgivingLiffDined on 11/28/2013Eating at Friends Lake Inn has been my family's tradition for many years now, and I hope it continues for a very, very long time.It's a highlight of the year and I can't think of a nicer way to spend the holiday.The setting is beautiful and the service is warm and accommodating.The menu choices are terrific and the food is always top-notch. We opt for the prix-fixe with bananas foster to round off the meal at the end. The pumpkin bisque is a huge treat too. Last year's main course appealed to me a little more because it was more pungent, unusual and eclectic (the cranberry sauce side was so unbelievably good that I remember it a year later!), but my family preferred the more traditional offering this year. Either way,we love it every time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful holiday dinnereat4funDined on 11/28/2013Our family truly enjoyed having Thanksgiving dinner at the Friends Lake Inn. Every aspect of the service was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal. You can tellMEMCDined on 10/26/2013Excellent meal. You can tell the chef truly cares about what he serves. Every morsel was amazing, Wine selection incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Quiet Birthday CelebrationJohnDined on 10/1/2013Our evening out to celebrate my wife's birthday at Friends Lake Inn was nothing but fabulous! Having dinned at the Inn several years ago, prior to it's sale, we always found the service, the food, and the ambiance outstanding. We wondered if the Inn would be as good as we remembered. It was better! The menu was interesting and concise. From the appetizer to the main course (Duck Breasts) the presentation, preparation and taste was outstanding. Dessert was passed on since we had no room left after the main meal. We will sample dessert on our next visit. The wine list was massive and we selected an older red from Southern France. It was outstanding. It was a night out to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Adirondacks hideawayJohnDined on 9/5/2013Friends Lake Inn is a wonderful place to stay! We had the Field Stone Room for the night, all wood floors and walls, beautiful stone fireplace, rustic, but very comfortable. The dinner was superb and service excellent, and the wine list is amazing, pages and pages of excellent wines. We had the Mondavi Reserve Cab 2004, WS 95, and it was great. The morning walk to the lake, with mist on the lake, and watching the loon diving to catch its breakfast was great. A "Golden Pond" experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The stay was very relaxingJam1Dined on 8/31/2013The stay was very relaxing and very little has changed since ownership has changed hands. The staff was very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food, Service, AtmospheremnemcikDined on 8/23/2013I went here with my parents for their 35th wedding anniversary. From the moment we walked in the staff made it a wonderful night, they were extremely attentive and polite. They even went an extra step to make the night special by printing commemorative menus. The food was nothing sort of excellent, the dishes we seasonal, fresh and delicious. They had an extensive wine list and a sommelier that was well educated in every bottle on the list. he paired our tastes to a wonderful merlot, which we later bought a bottle of in their wine store, after a tour of the cellar itself! The Inn itself is also very beautiful and scenic. Overall this experience, food, and staff made this night one to remember. I look forward to another visit in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!RachelDined on 8/4/2013Everything about our dinner was perfect! We were seated in an out-of-the-way table as requested (it was our wedding night). The food was amazing and the server and host were extremely friendly. We were given chocolates on a plate with "congratulations" written on it (in chocolate!) after dinner, as well as glasses of champagne to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adirondack AdviceBetteDined on 7/25/2013Small menu, but very well done...our four entrees, in 2 nights, were pleasing to the eye and pleasing to the palate. Service was leisurely and slow; but not detracting from the overall dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was really excellentbunsDined on 7/15/2013The food was really excellent but way over priced. The dining room a bit depressing and dark. Not what I had in mind on a beautiful summer night. If I go back I was advised to try the wine bar..... still good food but much more reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great evening at FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2013Another great evening at Friends Lake Inn with friends visiting from out-of-state. Thank you.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerCathyDined on 5/24/2013We have celebrated our anniversary at the Friends Lake Inn on several occasions and have never been disappointed. The accommodations, service and food have always been excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I thought the total expenseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/23/2013I thought the total expense of Friends Lake Inn was very high. The food was OK, nothing to rave about. The costs however were very high.Special Features:
- WE thoroughly enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/23/2013WE thoroughly enjoyed our meal and were delighted with the selections for the cheese plate.Special Features:
- 4 FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013A wonderful experience, attentive, friendly service. Bar/tavern is a gem, very classy and warm.Special Features: