Friend of a Farmer
77 Irving Place
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Friend of a Farmer
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://friendofafarmerny.com/
- Phone: 2124772188
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 4:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: With our central location, Friend of a Farmer is perfect for any business related or personal breakfast, lunch or dinner. We offer many private dining arrangements, which can accomodate both large functions and smaller groups looking for an intimate setting. There are three dining rooms which can be joined for larger events or rented individually for smaller gatherings. Parties of 25 - 45 guests can reserve the secluded back dining room. Closed off from the main upstairs dining room, it provides a cozy atmosphere for private celebrations
A word from Friend of a Farmer
Welcome to "Friend Of A Farmer"...made of warmth & wood. Carrie and Terry built, designed and carefully put together this cozy, country cafe. They wanted to bring back that warm country feeling, reminiscent of Terry's upbringing in a small farming town in upstate New York. The warm fireplaces, homey atmosphere, as well as all the home cooked, fresh food creates a wonderful blend. Breads, muffins, pastries & pies are baked in our own kitchen, using the freshest fruits & vegetables of the season. Please enjoy Breakfest, Brunch, Lunch & Dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Friend of a Farmer reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)great for brunch (28)fit for foodies (26)great for outdoor dining (26)great for lunch (20)romantic (18)good for groups (12)special occasion (8)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- My favorite spotKaraMDined on 10/18/2014This is easily my favorite restaurant in NYC. The environment at Friend of a Farmer is comfortable and homey, which reflects the overall feel of the cuisine. Friend of a Farmer takes classic homestyle favorites and brings them to the next level. You can always trust the ingredients to be fresh and the flavors put together to be wonderful. I would suggest this place for foodies and simpletons alike.Special Features:
- I was not impressedtribabyDined on 10/18/2014For all the hype, I would not go back. Nothing stood out. The place is too cramped, the food is just ok and expensive, same goes for the service.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/16/2014Although we reserved a table on the first floor since one member of our party cannot walk stairs, the requested table (since there is only one) had already been given to someone else. Fortunately it was a nice evening so we were able to sit outside. If not, we would have had to go elsewhere.
- 239034837Dined on 10/12/2014It was nice. The food was good, but sometimes the combination of certain foods together didn't taste right. It also had a very nice view from its smaller room on the second floor. We had a good time.Special Features:
- Great comfort foodLeahDined on 10/1/2014I had heard about this place from my coworkers who all love it so I made a reservation for a Wednesday 6:30 dinner for me and 3 friends from college. It's absolutely adorable inside. It's super cozy and clearly was once a townhouse that was renovated and turned into a restaurant. They serve delicious comfort food. If you want a good, hearty big meal - this is a great option. One FYI: this is one of those restaurants that won't seat you until everyone from the party has arrived for your reservation so have everyone get there on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for large groupSSNJDined on 9/27/2014Very accommodating..we had a large group and they made it work for us. Delicious and much appreciated!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceNazlisarpkayaDined on 9/25/2014It was such an elegant, yet warm and homey place. The staff was incredibly friendly, they did everything in their power to make my best friend's birthday special. The food was absolutely delicious. Of course the décor of this restaurant is what makes it so unique. It gets crowded and tight since the tables are very close to each other but you don't care because everyone is so friendly to each other. Highly recommend it for lunch. And get the country apple pie at the end. It feeds 3-4 people and it is one of the best apple pies I've ever had!Special Features:
- Good, but menu is now smallerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in the area, but I was disappointed to find that their menu options have been reduced. The waitress said they would be bringing back their famous sides soon--I hope that's true!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experiencelovtodine1Dined on 9/15/2014rated great for what it is: comfortable Neighborhood Gem. It's menu is limited but delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Zax752VIPDined on 9/11/2014Amazing food with huge portions. Nice country ambiance in the middle of the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite a neighborhood gem. Good.SLatinaFDined on 9/8/2014Disappointing. Just good enough. Plain, straight forward menu. Nothing special. Warmish setting that just misses the mark. Could have been cozier which would have given more context to the comfort food menu. Bare table tops and the noisy near-by table took away from the woodsy, comfy atmosphere. Food was fine but uninspired.Special Features:
- Great FoodJambalayaDined on 8/30/2014If you are in to crab cakes this is a place to try. The waitress told us up front they had very little filler and I was happy to discover she was correct. In fact I'm not sure how they do this, it tasted like the entire thing was crab, and spices, nothing else. Really good. The other thing about this dish is the size of the two crab cakes was generous. Many places, specially in New York, serve small cakes. At Friend of a Farmer they are the perfect size.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/26/2014The food was good but a bit expensive for what it was. It was very loud, the acoustics of the room make dining with friends and catching up frustrating. Those things aside, the biggest disappointment was the service. The people just weren't welcoming or friendly, and everyone that worked there seemed annoyed to be there.Special Features:
- Simply Great FoodNJMichaelDined on 8/16/2014We simply had a fabulous meal. Excellent The food is excellent. Excellent well-prepared food. Great menu with lots of choices for real good comfort food. The Mac& Cheese appetizer is a must-have. Also the parmesan shrimp was truly yummy. I personally love a good Shepherd’s Pie but it’s not easy to find a real good one. This one was simply the best one I ever had. It didn’t have the cheese crusted top but it was so well seasoned that I will go back just for this one dish. My only negatives were that some of the tables are really close. There was about 3 inches between our table and the one right next to us but that’s NYC dining, especially at neighborhood spots. Also, it’s a bit pricey but the food is so good, it’s really worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchNDC12VIPDined on 8/12/2014Now been for brunch and dinner and both were spectacular. The ambience is excellent, like walking into a home. Would always go back!Special Features:
- AmazingAdritereDined on 7/30/2014Fully recommend it to everyone!! Incredible and dreamy pumpking and walnut pancakes!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing find!anitamarieDined on 7/29/2014My boyfriend and I came here after reading all the reviews and decided to give it a try. We were not at all disappointed! From presentation to first bite, everything here was exceptional. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Good FoodBarryBVIPDined on 7/25/2014The food here is really fantastic. Very tasty. Service was super friendly. And the cookie sundae is worth the calories.Special Features:
- Great SaladleiaDined on 7/17/2014Three of us were looking for a quiet place to have lunch and we were seated immediately. We were given a choice of upstairs or a corner booth near the windows downstairs. We chose the booth which was very private, so we didn't get a sense of the rest of the restaurant in terms of noise or crowds. However, the outdoor seating area seemed tight. We all had the curried chicken salad which was delicious. I can't comment on any other dishes, but the service was attentive without being annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but...TraianDined on 7/12/2014The qualitiy of the food was really good but 36$ for a fillet mignon? This wasn't cost more tan 27$. Plus, they have to improve the quality of the coffee. Do not order coffee!!Special Features:
- Very nice atmosphere!kimsDined on 7/3/2014Beautiful townhouse. Felt like we were eating in the home of a friend. Good food, especially the mac and cheese. Service was excellent. All in all, a great night.Special Features:
- Very Nice, But Crowded/NoisyADinerDined on 6/30/2014Good lunch/brunch menu. We arrived 1/2 hour early for our reservation & they kindly seated us. But my friend & I felt cramped b/w other tables that were mere inches apart; we asked for a quieter location & were offered the adjacent room, which wasn't being used. We were able to talk w/o feeling like the next table was part of our conversation. Our server was very attentive & sweet. We lingered & never felt rushed. So, overall, we enjoyed it. But too many restaurants squeeze people in like sardines & turn the music up (as here), making it hard to relax or have a real conversation. It turns tables faster, but it sucks. And here, w/ a whole other room, it's unnecessary. I do appreciate that they accommodated our request. Very nice staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 292 reviews are from the Friend of a Farmer reviews archive.
- Erroneous chargeFoieGrisDined on 6/26/2014The food and service were very good, but the staff may need to pay closer attention to detail when charging credit cards. My dining partner and I intended to split the bill, and he ended up being charged twice: once for his share and again for the entire total. I'm sure it's an error that can be easily resolved, but I'm a bit wary of returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Quality Foodluv2eatoutDined on 6/17/2014I took my co-worker here for a farewell lunch. She will be retiring at the end of the month, and I found the food to be really good. Additionally, we had dessert, we ordered the Cookie Platter and it was incredible. She loved it, and I loved it. Great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh food, fantastic serviceManhattancanuckVIPDined on 6/16/2014Late to discover this gem that has been recognized for its food and service on many occasions. Amazing farm-to-table food that was affordable and delicious. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Strawberry PieCaitieVIPDined on 6/8/2014It was a really nice night out so we were sat in the outdoor section. It's situated in a really cute neighborhood! The food was good, but there isn't anything i would go back for except the strawberry pie, which is amazing! I'd try this place for brunch but probably not again for dinner. It was a good meal but I wasn't "wow'd."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmosphereDhrilrDined on 6/6/2014The food was incredible, service was great, and the atmosphere was wonderful. I ordered the Terry Allan Chicken, which is very good. Will be back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bewareOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/4/2014chicken pot pie totally glued together, crust tasted like cardboard. Shepherds pie was catsup-y. Burger was good. Service was non-existant. We had a 5:30 reservation for a 7 curtain.
- Great Food, Service, and AmbienceMitchDined on 5/29/2014Despite the beautiful views of tree-lined Irving Place, from the second you walk into Friend of a Farmer, you feel like you've been transported to a charming country home. Fortunately the food and the service were just as impressive. The kitchen churns out delicious comfort food like shepherd's pie and baked chicken pot pie but also has a selection of great pastas and salads for more health-conscious diners. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Bad Service spoilt the good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Took a friend who has just moved to NYC and lives around Union Square. This was an old neighborhood haunt that I remembered fondly. The food did not disappoint but the service was dreadful. Slow and inattentive bordering on disdainful.Special Features:
- lillyDined on 5/22/2014A "country inn" atmosphere in the middle of the Manhattan has made this a nice place to visit. It's largely comfort food -- although very average. The hostess/reservation desk is the biggest problem. A poor seating policy and seemingly uninterested staff, do not make for a welcoming experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/20/2014Have been multiple times for brunch, which is always delicious, but finally made it for dinner with a bunch of fellow students. The food at dinner was just as delicious as the brunch menu, the service, as always, was very attentive. Lovely atmosphere, lovely night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/20/2014Tasty food. Service slow and servers often unavailable. Even with empty tables, the upstairs room was loud and conversation effortful. Beverages pricey, no iced tea refills. I'd go back for the food, which deserves a more friendly setting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMax123Dined on 5/18/2014I went a few days ago with family. I was looking forward to it as I hadn't been in about 20 years and remember thoroughly enjoying it back then. Well, after this last meal, I will never return. The service was the worst I've ever had in the city and it was so noisy that we were literally screaming across the table to speak to each other. The food was not what I had remembered either. Just bad. Overall, very disappointed. I'm not sure if the restaurant is under new management or has a new chef. Whatever it is, they better do some re-evaluating as this restaurant has gone way down hill. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone. Do not wast your time or money.
- Waiting for a bad experienceprofwilliamsDined on 5/11/2014Ain't gonna happen. Or at least, not yet. We love this place. Have been 4 times. The last was Mother's Day (Mom smiled that smile when we walked in). Comfort food at its easiest, and most comfortable. Had the fried chicken, sliders, mac & cheese- easy to make this "okay," but skill makes them sing. Friend of a Farmer makes it sing. Desserts were great too. Our 11-year-old always looks forward to finishing his meal (and dessert) the next day. Only problem was the food came out HOTTER THAN HOT, which allowed us to enjoy our conversation and the ambiance even more.Special Features:
- Love the ambianceSasaarDined on 4/29/2014Love it! So cozy. I didn't care about the food (I asked for my salmon well-done three times when I ordered and it was as rare as ever, but i still ate it because i was so happy about the environment there).Special Features:
- Vintage charmAuntBarbaraDined on 4/28/2014Generous portions of good, hearty food (I had an unusual but delicious soup and a chicken pot pie) in a cozy upstairs room with a century-old farmhouse kitchen feel, with hutches of crockery and bins of potatoes and vegetables. Quick and courteous service. Ground-floor bar seemed to offer a good happy hour. Dining room got a little too noisy with a couple of large groups, but other than that, a very pleasant meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not BotherDiningoutVIPDined on 4/26/2014Sad enough an experience to rate the place, which I rarely do. The ambience was not conducive to any kind of conversation or gathering (people at the table next to ours left precipitously), even though the restaurant was only 1/8 full at the early hour we visited. The food was an even greater disappointment. Salads were mediocre at best; my salmon was a tasteless piece of cardboard by the time it arrived. Because I had asked that it be well done, I did not bother to send it back, but it was genuinely inedible. My dinner mate's food was a little better (potato pancakes), but mediocre at best. Save your money, time, and hopes. It is not worth spending the money for it.
- Best at BreakfastLKPNYCDined on 4/25/2014I've been here for dinner and left quite underwhelmed, but breakfast is where this place shines. Perfectly poached eggs, light & lemony Hollandaise, and excellent, warm and welcoming service. Walk over to Gramercy Park after your meal!Special Features:
- Good food, service averageOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/21/2014This is a very popular brunch/lunch spot in the weekends. We went there on a Monday at 11 am. You'd expect when there is less customers you'd get more attention from the waiter but that was not the case. There were several people working there who were very nice, but only one who was allowed to take our orders and he was kinda rude. Food was good but not as great at expected when you see how busy this place is. But it looks organic and made from scratch which is a big thumbs up!Special Features: