999 Eglinton Ave. West
Toronto, ON M6C 2C7Neighborhood:
Midtown / Uptown
MexicanPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.fridarestaurant.ca/
- Phone: 4167872221
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jose Hadad
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Our chef and experienced catering manager will customize a menu suitable for your guest and the event. Full creative range -From an elegant wedding service to dinner to table stations or a fun taco party, Full staffing and prep also available.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is available and often used for private functions.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 4167872221
- Entertainment: Live Music Tuesday Nights-quiet acoustic guitar and vocals. Private up close and personal events-music, chef tastings etc for registered Friends of Frida-sign up on website.
A word from Frida
Frida was named one of Toronto’s Top 100 restaurants by acclaimed and trusted restaurant critic Joanne Kates. Frida modernizes Mexican food in a fresh, relaxed and contemporary setting. Review after review agree-Frida presents refined flavors, quality and a fresh taste that sets a new standard for modern Mexican cuisine in Toronto. Quality. Freshness. Creativity. Located at 999 Eglinton Avenue West, midtown and in north Forest Hill, Frida is open for dinner Tuesday to Sunday and for Sunday brunch. Ample parking both in the green P next door or on the street.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Frida reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (29)great for lunch (22)great for outdoor dining (20)romantic (17)special occasion (13)good for groups (12)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- A pleasant surpriseTravelGirlDined on 9/6/2014I read a lot of good reviews on this restaurant beforehand and was expecting to be disappointed and wasn't. The food was great, especially the duck tacos and churros - these were exceptional and shareable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BetsyDined on 8/3/2014We thoroughly enjoyed Frida for the food and quiet atmosphere. Patio is nice on a warm evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AdelinaDined on 8/1/2014Frida offers authentic Mexicana food, which is fresh and tasty. Frida's Sangria is delicious so order by the litre (Classic Sangria) and definitely leave room for the churro dessert at the end. The servers are well-informed and very friendly, and the ambience is wonderful. Definitely check out this little neighbourhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and servicesammyVIPDined on 7/29/2014The service was good and so was the food, but the grilled calamari was a little salty for my liking and the salad was over dressed. It's in my neighbourhood so I'd go back and try the tacos next time.Special Features:
- GoodCIFBDined on 7/19/2014I had a good time, food is okay. Waiter was really nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Service- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014The servers were very sweet and attentive. The food was inconsistent in portion size and tastiness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely greatIlovefoodDined on 7/18/2014I select Frida for Summerlicious 2014 with 3 of my girl friends. From walking in the front door to exiting, it was just fantastic. The staff was awesome. The food and drinks was fantastic. I would recommend Frida.Special Features:
- Great spotRogueDined on 7/18/2014Went here for lunch during Summerlicious and it was fantastic. Loved the foot, particularly the pork carnitas appetizer. The patio was excellent, tucked away in the back, perfect on a nice day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014A very enjoyable experience. Excellent food and different than other restaurants. Very Mexican.Special Features:
- SummerliciousyyztravelsDined on 7/17/2014Our family of four dined at Frida. We had read about how good the food was. We were totally disappointed. Cevice was wet and tasted like ketchup. Halibut main was a miniscule piece of fish, not an attractive presentation and uninteresting. Desserts a bust too. Thumbs down all around. And too expensive for what we had.
- a keeper for good foodcontessaDined on 7/17/2014Presentation aced with each crafted plate ...plus bold flavours and delicious food each and every bite! Loved house special coffee as well maybe hint of cinammon ....Special Features:
- FridaSteph123Dined on 7/15/2014Delicious food. We felt they were trying to be too fancy. To me a Mexican restaurant should be loud and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best tacos in townrdhledaoDined on 7/13/2014Frida is a very cute and small place but they have the best tacos in the town. Very friendly service. Also the cute little back yard patio makes it even cuter for summer nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rea!l not fake MexicanJaneSpottingDined on 7/11/2014I am a foodie and can honestly say the chef here is top notch. Perfection to every dish, and authentic ones at that!Special Features:
- SummerliciousJahzDined on 7/11/2014Went here for summerlicious. Food was small portioned but good. Love their tacos! Drinks were also very good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a wholesome filling experiencejamaicanchicaDined on 7/9/2014Brought my husband for his BD and he will find it difficult to top. I've never been to a restaurant that I couldn't find a fault with. But Fridas was fantastic, the service was so impeccable, the food well timed and the margaritas perfectly done. The churrus were transcendent. The Mexican music in the outdoor patio area created just that atmosphere for romance and relaxation. I felt like the food gods were smiling down on us, every dish was beautifully appointed and bursting with flavor. There's always hot sauce available on request and when that's added to your taco it's an avalanche of flavor! Amen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VespaDined on 7/6/2014-went for winterlicious, food was ok, churros a definite highlight, portions were very small for price, wait staff nice, pretty patio in backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IheartfoodDined on 6/21/2014The food was delicious, however the portions were quite small. It's a bit expensive for what you get. The service was great. There was a small mix up with our order and they offered us dessert on the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fridas experienceooblah123Dined on 6/19/2014food was very good, service staff were friendly, a wide variety of menu items that were equally delicious.Special Features:
- fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2014I love this restaurant...the food is reliably great...service is good...ambiance is pleasant!!!Special Features:
- Delicious MexicanpjdjDined on 5/24/2014We hadn't been to Frida in two years - had kind of forgotten about it. Went there with friends to celebrate my birthday and the waitress remembered me from the last time! The duck tacos are amazing. Everyone really enjoyed their food and they brought a piece of Kahlua cheesecake with a birthday candle for us to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 136 reviews are from the Frida reviews archive.
- Great MargaritasJimtheRealtorDined on 5/3/2014The margaritas were excellent, and the chips & salsa were very nice (obviously made in house). We also had the Shrimp & Cod Ceviche (the cod tasted fishy so either it was past it's prime or it was salt cod instead of fresh) and the Guacamole as appetizers. To be honest, I make better guacamole at home - this was pureed and so smooth it could have been green sludge. Entrees were nice tasting but only the steak (which was quite nice) came with vegetables. The other two diners both had the pork chop & belly which were small and didn't come with any veggies. As we ordered entree size (not appetizer size), I would have thought these would have been a more complete meal. I'm not so fond of the menu this visit, it was better last summer.
- fourteen14Dined on 5/2/2014The restaurant continues to be a gem and the new menu is excellent. We always enjoy our dinners there.Special Features:
- Eat great, but not late.....foodiewannabe1975Dined on 4/25/2014We very much enjoyed our food. We were surprised at 9pm that we were being told that the kitchen closed in a half hour.... The restaurant closed at 10pm on a Friday night. The service was great, and the food tasted wonderful, we were just surprised / taken back by the hour in which the restaurant closed, however they took a dinner reservation for 5 at 8:30pm. Would go back, but would just ensure that we had enough time on our next visit.Special Features:
- Frida fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014Food was delicious but out of many fish dishes... only thing available was shrimp dish and calamari, Pollo Pibil & Tinga Poblana con Crema was also not available which we read review on and very much wanted to try... disappointed. Child shouting in dining area when we arrived, surprized no one asked them to attend to child. Needed guidance with menu and first waiter was not able to help out - second was knowledgable. I would skip the cheese & chorizo dish - it was like chewing rubber and hardly any chorizo. Duck & beef tacos fabulous/best margarita ever/guacamole really excellent/would go again but not on a Sunday night as they were out of many things. But waiters were obliging and apologetic. And what we did eat we enjoyed immenselySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious specialsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2014I've dined at Frida a few times and it never disappoints! I highly recommend the duck mini tacos, and the specials are always delicious. Don't forget to finish off the meal with some churros or rice pudding. I have and will continue to recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceGet2goDined on 3/29/2014Everything was great but the service could use some help.Once we got our food we were never asked how everything was.Nuce to see how busy it was.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing foodlittle1VIPDined on 3/25/2014we tried frida on march 25th for a late dinner at 830pm the service was great but the food was just mediocure.we have good friends who live in the hood so we thought we would give it a try. unfortantly for frida they are involved in the crosstown eglinton construction. what a mess we wouldn"t recommend or go back again
- DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/8/2014The experience was very disappointing since we received two recommendations to attend the restaurant. The quality of the tuna in the salad was terrible and full of fat. The chicken dish was not good and they did not offer to replace . The waiter did not take the item off the bill even though it was barely touched. The bill was $130.00 for three people without any liquor . I would never come back back to this restaurant.
- Great foodRWEGDined on 3/5/2014I enjoyed the tapas style sharing plates. Everything was very good and I especially enjoyed the mole poblano. One of the best I have had anywhere. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- What tapas means:foodie2Dined on 3/4/2014Note - if you are looking for a full meal, know that you need to order a few items off the menu. All items on menu are like appetizers. I did not stay to eat because I was looking to order a full meal, I'm sure the food is great as I sampled it at a charity event which is what made me want to come. Within you menu perhaps you may want to state which are larger portions have an offer that is a regular size meal. I also recognize I may not understand the overall idea for the type of food you serve. I may try again with a friend. I was there for business meeting.
- Nice Place to eat but too noisyfoodiemonkeyDined on 3/1/2014The food was great however the service was a bit too attentive and the music in the background was more appropriate for a night club. I think this is a good place for groups or a dinner with friends but if you are on a date, it's a little too noisy. The portions are smaller then most Mexican restaurants but I like that because I was full and not over eating. I would rather pay for good food then volume. Will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Random Service, Mediocre FoodXYOWDined on 2/22/2014The service was odd to say the least. I was never really sure who our server was – everyone seemed rushed, scattered and not happy to be there. The restaurant was slightly more than half full on a Saturday shortly after 7pm. We selected 5 (tapas style) menu items to try. The first four items (average at best) arrived within a reasonable timeframe. After our plates were cleared, we were asked if wanted anything else? Yes please, the remaining item from our order and a menu (which we never received). 15 minutes later item #5 finally appeared (melted cheese over sausage). This was a less than satisfying experience based on the quality of service, the attitude of staff and price ($80 for 4 small plates and 1 drink... the cheese was free).Special Features:
- Best Mexican Cuisine I've Had in TOlamanz2Dined on 2/16/2014I'm a big fan of Mexican cuisine and have been to many different restaurants here and in various Spanish countries. This restaurant met all my expectations - the food was very tasty! Try the Guacamole, it's a must. I went with my family for Sunday Brunch and we had their Huevos Rancheros and their Huevos Ahoghados. Both dishes were delicious; very savory, authentic, and tasty. The coffee is fantastic - they put cinnamon and other spices in it and it's quite delightful. I wouldn't hesitate to return there for brunch, or other meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was good!kulvrDined on 2/13/2014I can't complain about a thing. Everything was good. Nothing was 'great,' or stood out as outstanding, but I have nothing bad to say. Food was good, presented well, but portions might have been a bit small. Decor was Frida inspired, but nothing overly beautiful or artsy. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I'd go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visited on a week night...TryitulikeDined on 2/12/2014Visited during winterlicous at 7 and was out of many of the items off the regular menu. So had to choose from the winterlicous menu, food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely go back.shartorontoDined on 2/11/2014We went with friends, and we were all impressed. Wine list very reasonable - had a lovely bottle of wine our server recommended for under $40(!) - also tried the house margarita and it was delicious. The housemade chorizo with cheese and soft tortilla starter was real comfort food. Tuna and avocado salad which my husband shared with me was very fresh, mole chicken wonderful (my friend let me try theirs) and the pescado with achiote was the perfect balance of flavour with a touch of heat. Chef Hadad's churros are amazing. We will all be going back. Lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winterlicious dinnerLeahDined on 2/9/2014The food was authentic, but the portions are tiny. The chorizo with cheese turned out to be mostly melted cheese with a few crumbs of ground meat. The main dish was very tasty - mole - but the chicken was a tiny one, and for the side we got only one tablespoon of rice and a bit more beans. It seemed to be only a sample, and it was disappointing. The best part was the dessert - churro - which was very good and the portion was nice. Will not go there again.
- Winterlicious & Great SangriawenttofridaDined on 2/4/2014The waiter mentioned that they leave the Sangria (the classic not the raspberry one) out for 48 hours before service. Definitely what I'm ordering again if I end up at Frida again. Ordered the tuna salad appetizer (my friend and I loved it; one of my other friends got one of the other appetizers and she wished she got the tuna instead). The blackened chicken was good, but didn't stand out like the tuna appetizer. For dessert we all got churros, but it was a bit too sweet for all of us (and with the sangria = headache by the time we left). It's a pretty nice place and the service was great. We had an additional guest last minute, which they happily accommodated. No attitude in the service whatsoever which made it an overall good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- winterlicious slumpJayfDined on 2/2/2014Usually Great food but they came short on their winterlicious lunch menu. i would still go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.