545 West 700 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84101Neighborhood:
Salt Lake City
Contemporary MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fridabistro.com/
- Phone: 8019836692
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:30am-3:00pm; Dinner Monday - Thurs 5:00pm-9:00pm; Dinner Friday - Saturday 5:00pm -10:00pm Saturday Brunch 11:00am-3:00pm; Closed Sundays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Mexican
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Fida Bistro offers a range of catering menus and options.
- Private Party Facilities: From 5 to 500 guests, we have the beautiful space to accommodate your event and the experienced staff to help your vision come to life. Frida Bistro boasts a number of private dining options, and larger parties are a wonderful fit for the urban chic Rico Brand and Frida Bistro Events Warehouse. Off-site catering is available as well!
- Private Party Contact: Josh Marans 8019836692
A word from Frida Bistro
Like Frida's passion for art, our passion at Frida Bistro is food - sophisticated Mexican gastronomy. To us, each dish is a memorable experience. A meal at Frida Bistro is to take pleasure in, to relish, to indulge, and to savor. We invite you to share in this experience at Frida Bistro. Enjoy our enticing entrées, exquisite decor, wonderful wines and spirits and delectable desserts. Fresh, flavorful, festive and sexy. As Frida would have desired.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Frida Bistro - Best Restaurants in Salt Lake City ›
Frida Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (45)neighborhood gem (29)special occasion (28)great for outdoor dining (24)romantic (16)great for lunch (14)good for groups (10)great for brunch (6)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great Alternative Latin FarejubalhareatsDined on 9/12/2014Frida Bistro allegedly serves South of the Border fare. It absolutely doesn't fit into either the Tex-Mex model of domestic "Mexican food", nor does it adhere to trendy, yet more traditional and genuine south of the border offerings. Frida gives a genuine taste of the Southwest with tasty but gentle spiciness, paired with some fairly sophisticated ingredients. I liked my Calamari with aioli a lot, mostly because the squid wasn't overly breaded and the aioli was subdued, letting the taste of the tubes and tentacles come to the surface.Special Features:
- Great space and serviceLisaODined on 9/12/2014We always have a great experience at Frida's. I recommend it to all my friends. Great atmosphere, great food and great drinks. The service is wonderful too.Special Features:
- Big expectations no flavorFridaNeedsFlavorDined on 9/11/2014I have been looking forward to going here to try the banana split since seeing it on the Food Network just to find out that they no longer serve it. None the less, we tried, and were sorely disappointed. The molé was lacking in flavor, spice and chocolate. The bison was lack luster and the ceviche tasted, old. The desserts were good, but nothing too exciting. We had the flan and chocolate cake. I think the cherries were the best tasting part of the night. There are better restaurants in Salt Lake, which again, is disappointing, because the ambience was awesome! So much potential!!!Special Features:
- Frida's has yet to disappointsnowdyDined on 9/11/2014Took local folks who had never been to Frida's and didn't think they had ever been in that neighborhood. Were they ever surprised and delighted. Food and service were wonderful. Their specialized margaritas are great, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissappointingGrnEyesDined on 9/3/2014We have frequented Frida's Bristo on several occasions and were happy to share tis restaurant with our house guests. We were dissappointed with the food and drinks, both of which were sub-par given our previous dining experiences. We actually had to send the salads back to the kitchen, we suspected our drinks did not contain the advertised named Tequilla and the cookie part of the dessert we could not eat given it we couldn't break it up. We were embarrassed to have brought our house guests to this restaurant. What's happened to the wonderful Frida's Bistro cuisine?Special Features:
- Very tasty Frida bistroAdvilDined on 8/25/2014We had a beautiful meal and wonderful time at Frida's bistro. From the tasty buffalo to an incredible pork shank that was so very impressive in presentation and in taste. We went with 8 of us and we were all impressed with the food, service and the atmosphere. The only thing we weren't impressed with was the desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met high expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014We'd heard good things about Frida's and we were not disappointed. The menu was imaginative, the food was excellent and well-presented, the service was very good and the ambiance was upbeat and colorful.Special Features:
- DisappointingShappetizerDined on 8/11/2014I brought my family here for my birthday after an excellent first visit and while the staff were very kind (they had a happy birthday card waiting for me on the table) the overall experience was disappointing. Everyone agreed that their dishes were good but not great. The flavors of the chicken, crab salad and snapper were enjoyable but not special, and not deserving of the price tag. The queso was very good, but we had lots of left over chips with no more dip. I was hoping to introduce my family to an exciting, different Mexican restaurant but instead we left underwhelmed and it is unlikely that they will return again. I am still willing to give this place a chance, but this experience certainly dropped the restaurant down a notch for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding cuisineTheGreyFalconDined on 8/7/2014The chef excellently delivers a unique brand of 'south of the border' cuisine. Delicate spices and carefully selected ingredients blend to bring out zesty and flavorful presents to the tongue. Well presented and always at just the right temperature, I am often left wanting more, but pleasantly sated regardless. I'll return. That is the highest compliments I can give.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great! Service? Not so muchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014We waited nearly 20 minutes at the table for a server to even acknowledge us. After ordering, the food took 45 minutes. That is not great for a business lunch where you often only have one hour. Drinks were generally empty and they didn't check on us at all while we were eating. With that being said, the food here is uncomparable. It is so delicious and the margaritas are to die for.Special Features:
- Best food in Salt LakePhD25Dined on 7/18/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants in Salt Lake. The food is fresh, the staff is friendly and knowledgeable, and they definitely serve the best drinks...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- get-togetherOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014What a great night to try inovative food..presentation lovely, and delectable...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MackDaddy57Dined on 7/17/2014Just go there! You won't be disappointed. Great gourmet Mexican food. The calamari appetizer is KILLER!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- baudouinDined on 7/16/2014Nous avions réservé pour 4 à 21h30 : nous avons mangé à la terrasse , - en bord de route mais joliement décorée - : nous avons reçu le plat en même temps que l'entrée car " la cuisine fermait" ! et le nettoyage de la terrasse a commencé pendant notre repas ! c'est cher payé pour un tel service ! le restaurant devrait refuser les réservations après 20h si leur horaire ne leur permet pas de servir correctement en soirée ; (la nourriture est très bien présentée mais le gout nous a décu ; mais cela est subjectif : peut être la cuisine mexicaine vraiment très-très épicée n'est elle pas pour nous ... )Special Features:
- Amazing Dinner Experience12BirthdayGirlDined on 7/12/2014We had five in our group. I made reservations so easy on Open Table for a Saturday night two weeks prior. The restaurant is on the West side of downtown in a Business area. What a bright artistic, eclectic ambiance is found inside. Waiter, Manager & all staff were very attentive & nice. They have great service. The food was amazing & exceptional! It was as visionally beautifully as it was done perfectly. The desserts we had were lucious works of art. Our fist experience was great. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DoniDined on 7/2/2014My expectations were high because I had a wonderful previous experience . I ordered the shrimp because I had ordered it the time before and they were huge amazingly fresh tasting shrimp with lots of eye appeal. On this occasion they were small and dried out with no eye appeal whatsoever(the sauce was still amazing]. And while the service was friendly and adequate, it just was not up to the attentiveness of the previous experience. The restaurant was expensive but so worth it on the previous occasion...... This time I felt I way overpaid for a mediocre meal experience.
- Unexpected delightpatina801VIPDined on 6/24/2014I was excited to try Frida's after having sampled some of their wonderful soup at 'Art and Soup. What an amazing surprise in regards to the choices, the flavors and the incredible creativity of the menu! I had the salmon, and it was not like anything I have ever had. The corn tamale was perfect, the sauce with strawberries was an incredible mix that made it unique and flavorful. The chips and salsa were authentic with the spicy salsa being 'just enough' (though it floored my friend and she stuck with the great guacamole). I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Inventive Mexican cuisineNew2slcDined on 6/23/2014You aren't going to find a simple bean burrito here. Dishes were inventive (zucchini bread as a base for a vegetation dish?!) as was the selection. Desserts were quite good but a little over priced. They source a good local coffee (Rimini) too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumiluvfoodDined on 6/21/2014We had the quesadilla appetizer and it was delicious. The jalapeno and habanero margaritas were even better than expected. I love the Shrimp Diablo. My friend had a chicken dish which she enjoyed as well. One appetzier and one entree to share would have been plenty for us. The service was a little slow even though the restaurant was not busy between 6 and 7 on Saturday night.Special Features:
- Fun decor!Pjw77Dined on 6/20/2014We had a great evening at Frida Bistro. Three of us had the Sea Bass with Tri color cauliflower, and it was excellent! Lots of interesting artwork on the walls, and pleasant atmosphere. We had very good service, and would certainly go back again!Special Features:
- Worth the trip and moreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Four of us went together and each ordered a different meal. All four were cooked perfectly, tasty and excellent. Everything was fresh and beautifully presented. I drive for one hour to get to Frida's and I do it just to eat at this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our brunch at FridasDiamondEaringDined on 6/14/2014Service very good, food great, ambiance really good Here was a problem, there was a man and (I think) his daughter who came into the restaurant right after us (Saturday, June 14). As far as we could tell he asked the server if she would keep an eye on his daughter while he went to the restroom. The restaurant is right across the street from apparently a rehab center. The server told him "I am not a baby sitter". He had to take the kid to the restroom with him. The server had very short hair. The man and his kid left right after that. I don't blame them. Embarrassing and a bad start to what otherwise was a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not missSteveDined on 6/13/2014This is the finest Mexican-inspired cuisine I have ever had. I love the food and have sampled restaurants from many different cities. Frida Bistro is not to be missed. Some reviews have complained about the cost (relative to the cheaper "beans and burritos" places). This is a different kind of dining experience altogether. I had a grilled tuna rubbed with special herb blend, served on grilled asparagus spears with an avocado and cilantro salad. My wife had the seared scallops. Both dishes were outstanding. Save room for the chocolate mole cake! The quality of the food, ingredients and innovative preparations set Frida Bistro apart. In fact, if you have only one evening to dine out in SLC I would recommend Frida Bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food with worst servicehorribleserviceDined on 6/4/2014The food at this place is awesome but you got to be prepared for the worst service that you can ever imagine. They are really rude and you will be surprised with the attitude of the people serving you the food. I decided to not to go to the place even after though the food is good. I have been a regular customer to this place for last 2 years and lately its getting worse with the service.Special Features:
- excellent dinnerfredwrDined on 6/3/2014I had not been to this restaurant for 8 months. The menu is unique and wonderfully prepared. The setting including noise level was perfect.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2014Been here several times and the food is always great. Very innovative sauces. Love it.Special Features:
- food was goodChuckVIPDined on 5/27/2014This was the 1st time, The experiance was a bit odd, the place was completely empty at 6:30-7:00. the food was very good, servers seemed to be having their own conversations of course there were no guest to serve except our server was a bit distracted. One othe couple did come in as we were leaving around 7:30?
- Favorite Lunch PlaceOHenryDined on 5/27/2014One of my favorite people in the world and I go to Frida's for lunch every few months. It's always good at lunch. My entree, the Tilapia, wasn't to my taste -- too sweet -- but my friend's avocado and crab salad was as good as ever.Special Features:
- Frida Bistro a delight!HermanDined on 5/24/2014The presentation was beautiful, each dish a work of art, from the appetizers to the main courses. Equally delicious . Friendly, prompt never pushy service. When you go allow yourself plenty of time to savor your experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy MomsoccermomDined on 5/24/2014Frida Bistro has become one of our favorites. We came here with friends from out of town, two years ago, and loved it then. My daughter specifically requested Frida for her 16th birthday dinner! They took great care of us, and even decorated the table prior to our arrival.Special Features:
- never, ever disappointsmangohabaneromadamDined on 5/21/2014Frida's never disappoints. The food is always exceptional and presented artfully. I like that the menu changes from time to time so it never becomes boring. I love the mango/habanero and grilled pineapple/jalapeno/cilantro margaritas. I did miss the little spicy pumpkin seeds this time. It's a great place to take visitors from out of town who have such antiquated ideas about Salt Lake City. I like that it's not downtown-downtown and that there ample, free parking and that each time I walk up to Frida's, I feel like I'm coming home and that Frida (I've loved her work since the early 70's and more than Diego's) is going to greet me. It always feels like a celebration of some sort. Weird, huh? since I'm a Japanese-American.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night Dinnerloves2eatDined on 5/21/2014I had never been to Frida before and was very impressed. We had a great waiter and the food was awesome. We were able to have conversation and hear what each other were saying. The decor was very cool as well. We loved it. I'm bringing my husband back for his birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 365 reviews are from the Frida Bistro reviews archive.
- Great find in Salt Lake CityEpicureanAdventurerVIPDined on 5/20/2014The food and libation at Frida Bistro has been consistently impressive. My grilled pineapple, jalapeno, cilantro margarita was the BOMB! We started our meal with the calamari & chicken albondigas in a dark mole sauce - this dish was so good, we ordered a second one. The seafood fideo pasta had a light tomato based sauce, the nut crusted seabass over risotto was excellent. Desserts are amazing! The coconut/lime tres leches cake was light and airy. The ambience and decor is bright and colorful with interesting artwork on every wall. The back dining room has a great lounge area. All our servers were attentive without being intrusive. Our waitress, Jessica suggested a great, moderately priced Spanish red. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- First time here for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/16/2014I have been to Frida's for lunch but never for dinner. So, I decided to take my friends from Seattle here for a celebratory dinner. Weather was lovely so we sat outside. Our margaritas were yummy as were the ceviche and the stuffed avocado appetizers. One of my friends had the sea scallops as an entre and my other friend had the chile en nogada, as did I. Everything was perfectly cooked, with unique presentation and, most importantly, the flavors were unique too and very delicious. We had another round of margaritas for dessert so can't speak to the sweets on the menu. Our server was polite and friendly - helpful with the menu - but not intrusive. Overall, a wonderful meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frida Bistrofoodie48Dined on 5/16/2014Four of us had a wonderful meal the other night. The food was excellent, especially the mole which was not too spicy but very tasty. We enjoyed the restaurant very much. The chocolate cake desert was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First VisitNeilDined on 5/10/2014This was our first visit to Frida Bistro. Pleasantly surprised by wonderful menu, great margaritas, service and food. It's a little pricy for Mexican food but the unusual menu selection made it worth the visit. Only other recommendation I would have is that most things were just warm when they arrived at the table. Would have been much better had the warm dishes been served hot.Special Features:
- FridasluvtotrynewplacesDined on 5/10/2014This is such a wonderful place. The food is excellent, the ambience is great and the staff are very friendly. The service was a little slow, although they were attentive and made sure we had everything we needed. This is definitely on my list of "go to often" restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Authentic Mexican CusinePantroDined on 5/7/2014The best place accross the Rocky Mountains for fine Mexican cuisine, Frida's has even able to present authentic Mexican dishes not found in typical US Mexican restaurants, visitors will experience flavors and textures that can only be found in central Mexico. The decoration and theme of the restaurants presents a level of culture and art away from the stereotypical concept of a Mexican restaurant, a cultural, art and intelectual jewel, embraced by all of its employees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedrcrivelloDined on 5/5/2014Pretentious, expensive. They don't give salsa and chips, which is common in any Mexican restaurant, even in Mexico. And $28 for a buffalo steak is too much.Special Features:
- Meh. Just ok.GatorlikestorompDined on 5/5/2014Good attempts, and definitely not bad. But not wow either. Cool that they had a huitilacoche appetizer, which was solid. But cloying mango chutney added nothing save for an unwelcome distraction.