6 Park St
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fricasseebistro.com/
- Phone: 9737442191
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Friday: 11:30pm - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Mark Papera
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout
- Catering: Off-site catering is available
- Cross Street: Park Street
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are many public parking lots in Montclair, New Jersey. The Crescent Deck, Church Street Lot and South Fullerton Deck are the closest to Fricassée Bistro. For more information on Montclair Parking, please visit this website: http://www.montclaircenter.com/visit_parking/
A word from Fricassee Bistro
Fricassée is a classic French Bistro located at 6 Park Street in Montclair, NJ. Our menu offers bistro staples such as: Steak Tartare, Frisee Salad, Mussels and Frites, Cassoulet and Steak au Poivre. Please review our full menu (with additional seasonal favorites) on our website. Also, follow us on Facebook for the most current information and promotions.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Fricassee Bistro - Best Restaurants in Montclair ›
Fricassee Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (35)fit for foodies (27)special occasion (18)romantic (14)great for outdoor dining (9)good for groups (5)great for lunch (4)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Very good indeedFuzzyDined on 9/28/2014We've been going to that location through various changes of name and ownership, and the current version is the best to date. Yes, the prices have gone up -- what prices haven't ? You don't get this quality of food for cheap. The service was competent and professional, one server was a bit over-enthusiastic but still fun to deal with; the other was much more reserved. But they never let our glasses get empty (BTW, it's BYO, a real plus) and brought the food when we wanted it, not a second before. Portions were generous, and we took home enough for lunch. I'll make one suggestion to the owners: Get an espresso machine. I'll make my usual gripe about Montclair -- Parking is hell. At least there's a muni lot around the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone CaresOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014This is a small restaurant, and everyone on staff cares about the food and cares about your entire dining experience. Everything was impeccably prepared, and Keith, our server that evening, was so passionate and expressive about the food and very attentive without being intrusive, that he just made the entire thing a very special dining experience. And the food was spectacular!!!! I look forward to going there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vive la France!AvonguyVIPDined on 9/16/2014Fairly limited but superbly executed French bistro menu in Montclair, with pleasant surroundings and nice service. We went on a Tuesday, and were quite comfortable, but have heard weekends are jammed. Definitely worth a visit if you seek a well prepared French classic dish.Special Features:
- Very goodaew1Dined on 9/11/2014Pleasant on a weeknight, with music at a reasonable volume and other diners fairly quiet. Breads were good. The appetizer pate could have been allowed to warm a little more, but it was light and tasty, though the flavor was dominated by a single herb (was it sage?). Hanger steak and french fries were excellent, the pepper sauce perhaps a little heavy for some tastes but right on for mine. Skate was beautifully done and delicate; the accompanying lentil dish was nice at first taste, but there was way too much of it. The lemon tart for dessert was disappointing: stodgy crust, gummy filling, only faintly lemony, and served icebox cold. We'll certainly order something else when we return -- and we are looking forward to going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!MBMSDined on 9/6/2014We had an awesome meal here this weekend. The mussels, lobster bisque, mac n cheese (blue with short ribs) all mouth watering!Special Features:
- Great bistro fareFrankieVDined on 9/5/2014We always enjoy going back to Fricassee, which we do at least once a month. Now that Mark is back in the kitchen the food is great and so is the vibe. Bring a nice bottle of wine and you won't be disappointed. Menu is small with daily specials. Standout for me is the frisée salad with lardons, blue cheese and a perfectly poached egg.Special Features:
- Mussels!seclawVIPDined on 9/1/2014Had dinner with my family, six of us. We had all of the mussel appetizers - terrific. The entrees - hanger steak, chicken, tuna and three macaroni and cheese dishes, all excellent. Downsides are that it is loud, and we were cramped at the table, but a very nice experience.Special Features:
- A Piece of Paris Near Home!Jenny24Dined on 8/25/2014I absolutely love this place. I went when it was Epernay and was upset to hear it closed this was the first time I had been and I couldn't believe the new Fricassee Bistro was even better! I absolutley love the new ambience and chairs. We celebrated my sister's birthday and she fell in love. She used to work in Frnace and she felt like she was back there. The food was delcious and our waiter was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and excellent serviceGetFitzDined on 8/22/2014Service was very attentive, best I have seen in a long time. Food selection is large and dishes very tasty. Ambiance is like a French kitchen; could be a plus or minus depending on your preferences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Neighborhood FrenchRAS1Dined on 8/15/2014When you think of macaroni and cheese, you do not think of French. However, all 3 of us thought the macaroni and cheese were outstanding. The country pate was standard. The chicken was good and the duck was excellent. The flank steak was ok (too much sauce on the steak). Also, the vegetables with the steak were covered in garlic. The chocolate mouse was think, but outstanding.Special Features:
- Little bit of ParisLovefood22Dined on 8/12/2014Food is delicious! Very generous portion of mussels and broth great to soak up with bread! French bread is awesome. Fricassee salad unique and flavorful. Chicken moist with a satisfying crunch. Will go back many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Montclair stand outNJcat22Dined on 7/26/2014My friends and I have finally found a great restaurant in Montclair, having been disappointed with several others which somehow get a great rating. Service here was friendly, unobtrusive, and yet attentive. If you forget to BYO, there is a liquor store directly across the street. The four of us each had a different main course. Each dish was cooked to perfection and plated beautifully. I highly recommend the frisee salad to start.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice French BistrokcqbinVIPDined on 7/26/2014Fricassee is a small bustling bistro in Montclair. We all enjoyed our food. But I must say that the tarte tartin though tasty was not prepared in the traditional way.Our waiter was terrific. He was charming and very good at his job. We enjoyed eating here except for the noise level which was loud.Unfortunately that is true of most restaurants on a Saturday night these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a tryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/25/2014Excellent food, fantastic service, and cool atmosphere. The regular menu is fantastic and the daily specials (which rotate each day week over week) have some real gems. Finally, the creme brûlée is something special. Normally creme brûlée is bland and not worth the time, but at fricasee it's different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ladybugVIPDined on 7/25/2014We were very disappointed with our food. We hoped it would have improved but the food was very mediocre. Maybe they should offer fewer dishes and concentrate on making them better. I had the duck breast and it was overcooked and tasteless I realize it is a difficult dish to save properly, but it was still not as it should be. I hope it improves.
- Great food! Love the ambiance.MontclairFoodieDined on 7/22/2014I love dining here. It's quiet, intimate and the food is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & super nice servicehard2pleaseDined on 7/20/2014We had a birthday celebration there & the waiters were really great about taking the cake ahead of time, bringing it out with a candle, singing & cutting it for us. Plus our food was DELICIOUS. Can't wait to go back & try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choicelaw47caDined on 7/17/2014I went to Fricassee Bistro with a couple of friends to celebrate a birthday. I had heard good things and wanted to check it out for myself. The food was outstanding and very authentically French. The wait staff was helpful in providing great information that helped finalize our selections. They didn't hurry us and since we could actually hear each other talk I was surprised how late it was when we left. I highly recommend Fricassee Bistro to anyone who wants great French food in a very good environment.Special Features:
- Very good French BYO!daveVIPDined on 7/12/2014Enjoyed an outdoor table, very good French bistro dishes and excellent service at Fricasee. The bread, house salad, veal, hanger steak, skate, chocolate mousse and tarte tatin were all very good or better. Not inexpensive, but BYO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumLinribDined on 7/12/2014Everything was delish! Two of our party ordered rib eye steaks and got strip steaks instead so they took the cost of one dinner off the bill! Thought that was a generous correction. Even though incorrect the steaks were so good we kept them.Special Features:
- Poor servicelouiserfDined on 7/12/2014Although my mussels were excellent, my husnand's lamb stew was not to his liking. Our waiter was not knowledgeable and was not attentive. The restaurant had no de caffeinated tea for 2 in our party.
- oldaggie51Dined on 7/7/2014A jewel in Montclair's restaurant crown. We felt we were special guests in someone's homeSpecial Features:
- foodie23Dined on 7/6/2014Was hoping for better food, it was really mediocre. Our table ordered two salads, fries, mussels, escargot, beef tartar, macaroni, and duck so we had tasted many dishes on the menu. Our friends liked it more than us. It was lovely to sit outside and the service was good, but the food was lacking love.Special Features:
- Delicious simple foodBouyDined on 6/26/2014A coworker recommended we checkout this restaurant and he was spot on. The food was delicious. The ambience was cordial. The staff is extremely inviting. My son had the Duck Breast entrée and simply love it. The chef comes out every now and then which make it feel like you at his house at his dining room table. We are going back tonight!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious French MealgivemefrenchDined on 6/25/2014We enjoyed a wonderful evening at this charming French restaurant, Fricasee. It's BYOB, which we like and portions were very generous. We loved the Escargot, which was superb and the delicious Skake with lentils. Our cousin praised the duck breast. The dessert was excellent. Service was friendly and very good. It's great to have a good French restaurant in town. We look forward to coming again.Special Features:
- DisappointedDebbieDined on 6/14/2014We had a wonderful meal in March, prompting us to return with friends this past Saturday night. Was happy to see updated menu on OpenTable (since there is not a big selection), however when we arrived, menu was the same from 3 months ago. Service was not good at all. One person in the party order Hanger Steak medium; another medium rare. They mixed up the order when serving. Fries were not good. Overall, very disappointing.
- We LOVE this place!LindaDined on 6/8/2014We were so excited when Fricassee opened, it was like going back to the "old" Epperney, but better! This small, intimate, bistro really does take us back to Paris, especially the sidewalk tables. The owner/chef makes everyone feel welcome and wants to hear from all patrons...it's really a special place.Special Features:
- Great French CookingBeststuffDined on 6/7/2014The mussels were fabulous as usual - our third time at Fricassee. This time I tried the Saturday special, the Lamb Stew. Out of this world. So much to eat that I had it again for dinner at home the next night. Still terrific. A great place to dine.Special Features:
- LikeBYOBsDined on 6/6/2014This was my second visit. Service and food are still first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 70 reviews are from the Fricassee Bistro reviews archive.
- Great MealsBBBBDined on 5/24/2014Good food in a pleasant atmosphere. Friendly service. We were able to relax without feeling rushed. Very comfortable environment.Special Features:
- a little french in the burbsmimiDined on 5/18/2014If you're tired of pasta pasta pasta then try this eclectic french bistro in montclair..moules, frite, frisee salad with lardon and many more french specialties.. you'll come away raving!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ehjb21Dined on 5/18/2014the meal was unexciting - a duck breast had no flavor, salmon was overcooked and the ratatouille was over salted. the waiter brought water than disappeared, when we finally caught his eye, he told us he wasn't our waiter but when he checked with the other waiter he came back and said that he had forgotten it was his table - for the prices we expected a better dining experience.
- Expected BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/14/2014I've tried several times to get into this restaurant with no avail but I finally got in via OpenTable. The atmosphere was exceptional, the service was great but the food... was extremely bland except for the lobster bisque, which was very flavorful.Special Features:
- A Montclair FavoriteMontyDined on 5/14/2014I lways enjoy the friendly staff and good French bistro cooking here. Comfortable and reliable, a go to place for me in town.Special Features:
- Exceptional Local BistroOceanstar9Dined on 5/12/2014Consistently delicious food and EXCEPTIONAL service. Perfect for a casual night out or a special occasion, the staff is accommodating and friendly, the seating is comfortable. It's impossible to choose between the chocolate mousse and creme brûlée - get both! Super fresh pates. The mussels and macaroni are HUGE - definitely for sharing. The escargots bring me back to Paris. One of my favorite places to bring friends and family alike. No one is ever disappointed - all always leave smiling and full. Even the bread and butter is heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/11/2014Liked everything about this bistro except the food was just average but would probably give it another shot
- Cute!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014The venue is charming. The have a great selection of mussels, although they were not offering them when we were there. The server however was kind enough to give us the honest reason why they were not serving the mussels (received the wrong shipment of mussels that were below their standards for their customers). This was comforting to know that the restaurants put a lot of thought in provide fresh and quality ingredients. Expect savory dishes, but don't expect big american-sized serving.Special Features:
- Perfect Mother's DayTheKatalistDined on 5/11/2014So happy they changed their hours and opened early for Mother's Day. Not everyone can do skate and theirs was perfection. My daughter had the mushroom macaroni gratin and it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingFoodloverDined on 5/9/2014We were looking forward to eating some French food but already with the lobster bisque as appetizer we were disappointed. It had no flavor, the vegetables were undercooked and the only thing edible with no complains was the lobster. The main dishes were just thrown on the plate with no love. My husbands veal stew looked like collected from leftover dishes and thrown onto his dinner plate. The only positive comment for the night was my son's profiteroles. Our waiter was very friendly but had no clue how to wait the proper way. He definitely needs some training.
- Fantastic French Cuisine!SonnyaDined on 5/3/2014Food is amazing, service is great, ambiance is eclectic! The place is super small and it feels a bit tight, but it's totally worth the squeeze. I stongly recommend. PS- It's BYOB- don't forget your wine bottle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.