Frescos Seafood Trattoria - Cape May
412 Bank Street
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Frescos Seafood Trattoria - Cape May
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.frescoscapemay.com/
- Phone: 609 884 0366x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Joseph Badger
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A private dining room can seat fifty guests. Small groups of twelve to sixteen guests can be accommodated in a semi-private area of the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Saign 6098848884x
A word from Frescos Seafood Trattoria - Cape May
In the heart of the Historic District, Frescos occupies an 1880 Victorian cottage. On the candlelit veranda, or in the coolness of the Mediteranean inspired dining rooms, you imagine yourself at a small trattoria in Tuscany, or sampling the finest of local seafood at a Mediterranean cafe. From the seafood and homemade pastas of the South to the elegant sauces, meats, and veal of the North, Frescos is a culinary adventure tour of Italy. Frescos' award-winning young Chef Joseph Badger takes as his palette the incredible variety of fresh local seafood, and bountiful local produce, bringing a richness and creativity to the menu-- a dazzling display of shrimp, lobster, seafoods and pastas, and desserts that make guests exclaim with delight. One of ZAGAT'S "Top Italian Restaurants in America," and Voted "Best Italian Restaurant in Southern New Jersey 2012," by NJ Monthly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Frescos Seafood Trattoria - Cape May - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
Frescos Seafood Trattoria - Cape May reviews from OpenTable diners
197 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (90)neighborhood gem (78)special occasion (73)romantic (71)good for groups (27)kid-friendly (21)hot spot (14)great for outdoor dining (10)scenic view (5)notable wine list (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Frescos, Cape May NJOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014We had an excellent dinner with efficient friendly service. It was such a relief to be able to hold a conversation without competing with a lot of noise.Special Features:
- Noisy but goodHarNickDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant was crowded on a rainy Saturday night. We were seated in a small alcove with two other parties, one of which was rather large and noisy. Combine that with the rest of the restaurant noise, and we could barely hear ourselves think, let alone talk. That said, the food was great. Salads were fresh and plentiful. Short ribs were very tender, a little fatty (as short ribs are) and deliciously flavored. Swordfish was properly cooked and very fresh. Open face lasagne was a cross between lasagne and a pizza, not really lasagne, with only one layer of pasta, but very tasty. Cheesecake and gelato for dessert were also very pleasant. Would definitely go back, just try for a quieter night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualthursdineteamDined on 9/12/2014outstanding experience. The food was very good and served hot. Service was impeccable and servers knowledge of specials and entrees was very good. If you go and want to try something different for the table you gotta have the fried olives. (quite addictive). A fine dining experience that never seems to fail you. Our third trip this summer. Sorry to see them close in October.Special Features:
- Good, Not GreatFoodRulesDined on 9/12/2014This was a good meal, but not great. We consider ourselves "foodies" and we're looking forward to an excellent meal at Frescos. The Shrimp & Scallops Pescatore featured fresh, delicious seafood in a champagne cream sauce that was unremarkable. The Ravioli with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce was disappointing in its mild version of what might have been an amazing sauce. Wish we had tried the fried olive appetizer. It looked good! Service was excellent.
- a Cape May gemgraham29Dined on 9/12/2014First return since mid-June, and it's still a delight for Cape May. My first time with the clam chowder, with a few crisped clams added--excellent. Osso buco (reserve ahead!) and swordfish as good as always. The enclosed porch was quiet, and it's fun to watch the eager diners-to-be on Bank St. Only fault is that it closes too early in the fall for us, and opens too late in the spring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DJM51Dined on 9/10/2014We enjoyed everything about this restaurant! Our waiter was extremely attentive and knowledgable and the food was outstanding! We will definitely return on our next trip to Cape May.Special Features:
- Simple elegance. Delicious food.DCtravelerDined on 9/8/2014My sister and I were on vacation in south Jersey shore. We were looking for something special but not too pricey. Lovely, warm, charming space (converted house) not far from a large public parking lot. Aesthetic presentation of food doesn't look like a lot but is! My sister had the salmon, and I had the tuna medallions. Fabulous! Capped with berry sorbet and coffee. We had the zucchini fritter appetizer too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- experience2capemayfoodDined on 9/7/2014It was GREAT !! It always is :) the food is always delicious no matter what we order. The waitstaff is always wonderful- friendly & knowledgeable & very politeSpecial Features:
- Good, not exceptionalMisterPert1Dined on 9/5/2014Fresco's is a good spot. Food was good, not exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointing mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014I've been coming to Frescos forseveral years as I make my annual trek to Cape May. Service is wonderful and the food can't be beat.Special Features:
- SweetTamesDined on 9/2/2014Everything is awesome. I'm a native of cape may and wouldn't go anywhere else when I want the best local food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eccellente!FabulousFrescosDined on 8/31/2014Outstanding service and delicious meal. Beautiful location, quiet and very romantic.Special Features:
- A pleasant experiencecathdavVIPDined on 8/31/2014Visited Frescos while in Cape May this past weekend and found it to be a lovely restaurant. The food was good but not spectacular....very common Italian. The ambiance was also nice.Special Features:
- Again!bldbeachVIPDined on 8/31/2014Already did this this season as we go to Fresco's a lot, but took guests on a Saturday evening over Labor Day weekend and had another great dinner! As already mentioned, wish they were open year round!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried olivesfinewineVIPDined on 8/30/2014Have ate here many times. You have to try the fried olives appetizer. Excellent. Short ribs are great as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food!SadieDined on 8/29/2014Our dinner at Frescos was truly outstanding. In the true Itialian tradidtion, each course was made with the freshest ingredients. The waiter was knowledgeable and his recommendations were spot on. We will definately make this our go to restaurant every time we visit Cape May.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not pleasantly overwhelmed...ahasselVIPDined on 8/29/2014We have eaten here before and if you have two in your party you get on the front porch. I really prefer to dine inside the building. It's very cramped and sterile on the porch. Only tables of two and the person on every side of you is "close". Not very romantic or relaxing...Our food was okay--not great. Not sure we'll eat here again for awhile. Our server, Lisa, was awesome, but the rest of the meal was just okay.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/28/2014Although Frescos was mobbed (as it should be at the height of the season) the food was delicious and well prepared and the service was excellent. This is not always the case in high season at the shore.Special Features:
- More than ItalianmmcdVIPDined on 8/27/2014This is a very good restaurant with a wide selection of entrees
- Cape May must do...BondtraderDined on 8/26/2014Always great food....great service....nice ambiance..and the prices are reasonable...definitely recommend Frescos....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won over the first time1stTimeDined on 8/26/2014This was our first visit to Frescos. I was impressed with the quality of service and food. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentNJTaylorsDined on 8/25/2014Better ambiance than their sister restaurant next door ("410 Bank") plus the food and service is just as good. We would return to either place depending on what we felt like having. BYO (there's a liquor store a short block away) or you can buy local wine by the bottle on site.Special Features:
- Very GoodJohnnypaul26Dined on 8/25/2014My wife and I and our three kids, aged 4 - 6 had a wonderful meal here. Kids menu is great, from mac and cheese to filet mignon. I had the filet, (adult size) which was wonderful and the wife had a pasta dish she finished completely, which she almost never does. Wonderful wait staff, fast service and good table bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedanniegirlDined on 8/25/2014Was seated in a very tiny table on the front porch. Waitress was pleasant and knowledgeable. Ordered the "special" chipolte ribs - very fatty and tasteless. Sent back to the kitchen, manager was very responsive and took this entree off the bill. Second order of open face lasagna was almost inedible. We were the first diners in the restaurant that night and that entree was already dried out. The meatballs on the lasagna were dry and tasted sour. The noodle was hard and slightly burned on the edges. Sauce was sour. Not a pleasant experience.
- Very disappointed!!Beachgirl9999Dined on 8/24/2014We have been here before but this time was our last! The service was poor. Half the time we couldn't find our server and we overheard specials told to another table that we were not told. The short ribs consisted of 1 very fatty rib with a huge bone. The lamb chops were over cooked and tough. And the pasta dishes were not anything special! Half of the desserts on the menu were out. And the cappuccino was 3/4 froth with 2 sips of coffee . We couldn't find the server to get the check. And we were seated next to a huge table when there were plenty of other tables that were empty all night. All I can say us never again!! There are too many good restaurants in Cape May to choose from!Special Features:
- Cute place.Dmc1113VIPDined on 8/23/2014Frescos is a cute neighborhood restuarant right near Washington Square. So great for a little shopping and then off the Square to dine. It's an old house with a lot of little rooms so it's very quaint and The fried olives were so good. Our dinners not so much,I had Spaghetti Omuntiacata, good but a little dry. My husband had OssoBuco, it didn't look very good, bland and boring. Looked very soupy over the risotto . He said it was the worse meal he's had in a long time! We each had Gelato for desert, our waiter made an exception with the coconut gelato since it wasn't part of the flavors on menu but on the side of another dessert. Pricey,three small scoops were $10.00 each. Overall a little pricey and not sure if we will return.Special Features:
- Good find in Cape May111514Dined on 8/22/2014The fried olives were delicious and a great start to a meal. The salmon was good- a tad overcooked and over seasoned but the presentation was pretty. My fiance had the beef tagliata and he enjoyed it. We did not have dessert but ordered a coffee and a cappuccino and they were great. Overall, it was a nice atmosphere- great for a romantic night out, family outing or just casual dining.Special Features:
- Fine FoodDavid04Dined on 8/21/2014We loved it! The food was high quality. Service was great the wait staff asked us at what pace we would like our food served not just rushed out to the table like a factory it made for a leisurely dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious! Teenagers loved it!costumemamaDined on 8/18/2014We were seated promptly, ambiance was so pleasant. Our server was terrific. Our teenagers ordered very adult dishes and loved them. Will return when we head back to Cape May!Special Features:
- JulesVIPDined on 8/18/2014Good food, very nice to our small kids. Server michael was the best part. Made us feel very at home! Would request him!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fine diningluvtoeatDined on 8/16/2014The service and food was very good! We really enjoyed ourselves. It is a little expensive but great for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2014Dinner at Frescos was wonderful. We went with our two young children. The waiter was extremely attentive and respectful of all of us. The food was very enjoyable, especially the fried olives. We would definitely return on our next visit to Cape May.Special Features:
- GreatJcaroDined on 8/14/2014Service was great, food was great. One of our favorites in cape may.
- Would not returnWolfNJDined on 8/14/2014Typical tourist rest.- average food with low level service. Poor staff attitude shown from the person at the front entrance , to the seater and waiter. Food was inconsistent ranging from insultingly small appetizers to under cooked meat to very good Seafood FraDiavolo. Would not consider returning. Too bad, given the excellent location and very charming Victorian .Special Features:
- FrescoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014We had fried olives as an appetizer, they were really good. Was something different we never had before. Open face lasagna was delicious . Very lite. Was different than typical lasagne. Excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTANDINGBonnieDined on 8/13/2014This restaurant never fails, it is fantastic and our waitress was wonderful, she knows her stuff and while telling us about the menu and the specials it made us even more hungry. Well done.Special Features:
- Delicious!KEITHHDined on 8/12/2014Fooda was unbelievable! Best Italian meal I've had in quite some time. A leaky vent dripped on my head, but I can overlook it because of the meal! You have to get the homemade sorbet for dessert.Special Features:
- creative and deliciousmdm9802Dined on 8/12/2014We enjoyed all of our three courses. They were all creative and inventive flavor combinations. We both had the dinner specials. The flour less chocolate cake was so light and delicate unlike many others I have tried. I especially enjoyed the Sacchetti Intossicato pasta appetizer. Little filled purses of pasta.Special Features:
- Interesting findEatoutDined on 8/11/2014Other than a mix up on the reservation, the service was attentive, menu options varied and food was above average for Cape May. I had the stuffed veal chop which was worth the $30 price tag. My wife had the seared tuna cooked perfectly. Kids are pasta and salmon both finished everything.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!dpk86Dined on 8/11/2014This was our 2nd time back to Fresco's, both times our meal was delicious! We arrived a bit early but we didn't have to wait long before our table was ready. Our server was friendly and greeted us right away. Our food was served in a timely manner, with just the right amount of time in between courses. Our only small complaint was that there was a large table next to us and with being on the 2nd floor with a peaked ceiling, it was at times too loud, so loud that we had to ask our server several times to repeat the specials. Other than that, fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.