Frescos Seafood Trattoria - Cape May
412 Bank Street
Cape May, NJ 08204Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Frescos Seafood Trattoria - Cape May
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.frescoscapemay.com/
- Phone: (609) 884-0366
- Hours of Operation:
Currently closed for the Season, will re-open May 2015
When in Season, Dinner served Nightly from 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Call for Larger Parties 609.884.0366 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Joseph Badger
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, BYO Liquor, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A private dining room can seat fifty guests. Small groups of twelve to sixteen guests can be accommodated in a semi-private area of the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Nancy Saign 6098848884x
A word from Frescos Seafood Trattoria - Cape May
In the heart of the Historic District, Frescos occupies an 1880 Victorian cottage. On the candlelit veranda, or in the coolness of the Mediteranean inspired dining rooms, you imagine yourself at a small trattoria in Tuscany, or sampling the finest of local seafood at a Mediterranean cafe. From the seafood and homemade pastas of the South to the elegant sauces, meats, and veal of the North, Frescos is a culinary adventure tour of Italy. Frescos' award-winning young Chef Joseph Badger takes as his palette the incredible variety of fresh local seafood, and bountiful local produce, bringing a richness and creativity to the menu-- a dazzling display of shrimp, lobster, seafoods and pastas, and desserts that make guests exclaim with delight. One of ZAGAT'S "Top Italian Restaurants in America," and Voted "Best Italian Restaurant in Southern New Jersey 2012," by NJ Monthly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Frescos Seafood Trattoria - Cape May - Best Restaurants in Cape May ›
Frescos Seafood Trattoria - Cape May reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (66)neighborhood gem (64)special occasion (46)romantic (44)good for groups (18)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (11)notable wine list (4)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great character, good eatsLiketoeatDined on 10/11/2014There are plenty of dining options in Cape May and we picked Frescos on a whim. It was a good choice. What a cool place, set in an old Victorian home. It is BYO which is always a fantastic find. The food was yummy, with both of our pasta dishes cooked to perfection. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the prices were reasonable. I would definitely recommend this dining experience to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Fall in Cape MayKarenKVIPDined on 10/11/2014We very much enjoyed our dinner at Fresco's. This is one of our favorite spots in Cape May. It is a BYOB and the food is delicious. You MUST get the fried olive appitizer....it may not sound good but if you like olives even e tiny bit you will love these!!!Special Features:
- A Cape May TreasurenpizzanoDined on 10/8/2014My wife and I have tried to dine out in nice places for our anniversaries, but this was the most memorable and best place we have found in our 10 years together. A charming little place tucked away in Cape May, NJ that awed us with one of the best prepared meals we have ever come across. Our appetizer of Fried Olives Veneziana sounded edgy but we tried it with an open mind and found it to be fantastic. Very lightly breaded and not over cooked. The Sea Scallops in the Pescatore were perfect. The local winery wine selection went well with the dinner as well. Hats off to the chef! I recommend trying this place for a nice little romantic dinner or with a group of friends the next time you are in Cape May, NJ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatLjcpDined on 10/7/2014We recently happened upon this great restaurant within walking distance of our bed and breakfast - the service was great and the food wonderful from the olives to our seafood dishes and open faced lasagna. Would definitely go back again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but...PetenMeDined on 10/2/2014The food was excellent. However, my husband is a typical man who likes a full plate. Though he didn't leave the restaurant hungry, he could have eaten twice as much of his shrimp and scallops pescatore. We will definately go back to Frescos because, even he agreed that the food was wonderful, but he will know ahead of time that the portions are "fine food" size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uninspired and undistinguishedGoodNeighborDined on 9/30/2014Having had a great meal at 410 Bank St last year, we were really looking forward to Frescos which shares the same ownership and is located next door. The restaurant is nice appointed and our server Andrew, was excellent. We were provided a complimentary appetizer of a scallop in butternut squash soup which was quite good. Unfortunately that was the highlight of the evening. The much anticipated fried olives were nothing special, as was the green salad. Both were over flavored with a very heavy balsamic dressing. My wife had the Premavera and is still looking for the vegetables. I had the very bland and forgettable Fra Diavolo. This is a nice restaurant, that needs to upgrade the quality of its food to match its pricing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014we really enjoyed our dinner it was excellent and the portions were perfect.The service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian SeafoodbeachloverDined on 9/27/2014Restaurant is located in a very cute small Victorian cottage. Tastefully decorated. Seating is close. Get there early in order to find parking. Our waitress was very pleasant and efficient. She even checked back with us to give us a heads up when our meals would be out. Entrees come with a bread basket. Soup or salad is extra. Although they do carry selections from a local winery, they are BYOB and I encourage the reader to do that. Ironically we had visited the local winery and noted the markup price per bottle on the restaurant's wine menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairly good.cheechviewDined on 9/26/2014When we arrived we were greeted courageously and directed to a liquor store as we had no wine. Our server was excellent. The bread and salad were delicious. I ordered a swordfish special.It was nicely cooked with a white wine sauce. However, my husband's pasta dish was bland and dull. If you go here, stick with the seafood. .Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/23/2014We had a wonderful relaxing dinner on the porch. Our server was terrific. Highly recommend the Salmon over corn risotto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at FrescosSilverDivaHagstrom66Dined on 9/22/2014Our server Ethan, was very attentive and knowledgeable with the menu. The wine was local and was expensive, but was not the focal point of the dinner. We enjoyed the customer appreciation week with a free dessert! It was a great ending to a nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Dining Experiencemudd19Dined on 9/22/2014The food was fabulous. The place was so charming and the service was superior.Special Features:
- Highly recommendedCapeMayNewbieDined on 9/20/2014Food was excellent, service was excellent, atmosphere was great! Although this wasn't a problem, if the restaurant could serve alcohol it would be nice. My only minor negative would be that even though we had a reservation, we still ended up having to wait about a half hour to be seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Server and mealJag3VIPDined on 9/19/2014Sat on porch which was quieter than the main dining area. Lisa was a great server. Will return again.Special Features:
- We weren't crazy about it...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014The food was good, and the tuna appetizer special was great. Our server was very nice and attentive. The prices were disappointing. I thought $204 for dinner, before tip, for three and a half people (we ordered a half serving for my son) was pretty high. Everything is a la carte. You do not get a salad with your meal, so if you want anything before the food comes, you have to pay extra for it (and even the salads are not cheap). That would be okay if the food was top notch. My daughter's fra diavlo was very good, but my husband's lamb special was good, but not great, for the $40 it cost. The pasta in my dish was homemade, but it wasn't freshly made for my dish - it was stuck together in places, although the sauce was tasty.
- Frescos, Cape May NJOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014We had an excellent dinner with efficient friendly service. It was such a relief to be able to hold a conversation without competing with a lot of noise.Special Features:
- Noisy but goodHarNickDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant was crowded on a rainy Saturday night. We were seated in a small alcove with two other parties, one of which was rather large and noisy. Combine that with the rest of the restaurant noise, and we could barely hear ourselves think, let alone talk. That said, the food was great. Salads were fresh and plentiful. Short ribs were very tender, a little fatty (as short ribs are) and deliciously flavored. Swordfish was properly cooked and very fresh. Open face lasagne was a cross between lasagne and a pizza, not really lasagne, with only one layer of pasta, but very tasty. Cheesecake and gelato for dessert were also very pleasant. Would definitely go back, just try for a quieter night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usualthursdineteamDined on 9/12/2014outstanding experience. The food was very good and served hot. Service was impeccable and servers knowledge of specials and entrees was very good. If you go and want to try something different for the table you gotta have the fried olives. (quite addictive). A fine dining experience that never seems to fail you. Our third trip this summer. Sorry to see them close in October.Special Features:
- Good, Not GreatFoodRulesDined on 9/12/2014This was a good meal, but not great. We consider ourselves "foodies" and we're looking forward to an excellent meal at Frescos. The Shrimp & Scallops Pescatore featured fresh, delicious seafood in a champagne cream sauce that was unremarkable. The Ravioli with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce was disappointing in its mild version of what might have been an amazing sauce. Wish we had tried the fried olive appetizer. It looked good! Service was excellent.
- a Cape May gemgraham29Dined on 9/12/2014First return since mid-June, and it's still a delight for Cape May. My first time with the clam chowder, with a few crisped clams added--excellent. Osso buco (reserve ahead!) and swordfish as good as always. The enclosed porch was quiet, and it's fun to watch the eager diners-to-be on Bank St. Only fault is that it closes too early in the fall for us, and opens too late in the spring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!DJM51Dined on 9/10/2014We enjoyed everything about this restaurant! Our waiter was extremely attentive and knowledgable and the food was outstanding! We will definitely return on our next trip to Cape May.Special Features:
- Simple elegance. Delicious food.DCtravelerDined on 9/8/2014My sister and I were on vacation in south Jersey shore. We were looking for something special but not too pricey. Lovely, warm, charming space (converted house) not far from a large public parking lot. Aesthetic presentation of food doesn't look like a lot but is! My sister had the salmon, and I had the tuna medallions. Fabulous! Capped with berry sorbet and coffee. We had the zucchini fritter appetizer too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- experience2capemayfoodDined on 9/7/2014It was GREAT !! It always is :) the food is always delicious no matter what we order. The waitstaff is always wonderful- friendly & knowledgeable & very politeSpecial Features:
- Good, not exceptionalMisterPert1Dined on 9/5/2014Fresco's is a good spot. Food was good, not exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointing mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/5/2014I've been coming to Frescos forseveral years as I make my annual trek to Cape May. Service is wonderful and the food can't be beat.Special Features:
- SweetTamesDined on 9/2/2014Everything is awesome. I'm a native of cape may and wouldn't go anywhere else when I want the best local food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eccellente!FabulousFrescosDined on 8/31/2014Outstanding service and delicious meal. Beautiful location, quiet and very romantic.Special Features:
- A pleasant experiencecathdavVIPDined on 8/31/2014Visited Frescos while in Cape May this past weekend and found it to be a lovely restaurant. The food was good but not spectacular....very common Italian. The ambiance was also nice.Special Features:
- Again!bldbeachVIPDined on 8/31/2014Already did this this season as we go to Fresco's a lot, but took guests on a Saturday evening over Labor Day weekend and had another great dinner! As already mentioned, wish they were open year round!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried olivesfinewineVIPDined on 8/30/2014Have ate here many times. You have to try the fried olives appetizer. Excellent. Short ribs are great as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Food!SadieDined on 8/29/2014Our dinner at Frescos was truly outstanding. In the true Itialian tradidtion, each course was made with the freshest ingredients. The waiter was knowledgeable and his recommendations were spot on. We will definately make this our go to restaurant every time we visit Cape May.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not pleasantly overwhelmed...ahasselVIPDined on 8/29/2014We have eaten here before and if you have two in your party you get on the front porch. I really prefer to dine inside the building. It's very cramped and sterile on the porch. Only tables of two and the person on every side of you is "close". Not very romantic or relaxing...Our food was okay--not great. Not sure we'll eat here again for awhile. Our server, Lisa, was awesome, but the rest of the meal was just okay.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/28/2014Although Frescos was mobbed (as it should be at the height of the season) the food was delicious and well prepared and the service was excellent. This is not always the case in high season at the shore.Special Features:
- More than ItalianmmcdVIPDined on 8/27/2014This is a very good restaurant with a wide selection of entrees
- Cape May must do...BondtraderDined on 8/26/2014Always great food....great service....nice ambiance..and the prices are reasonable...definitely recommend Frescos....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won over the first time1stTimeDined on 8/26/2014This was our first visit to Frescos. I was impressed with the quality of service and food. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentNJTaylorsDined on 8/25/2014Better ambiance than their sister restaurant next door ("410 Bank") plus the food and service is just as good. We would return to either place depending on what we felt like having. BYO (there's a liquor store a short block away) or you can buy local wine by the bottle on site.Special Features:
- Very GoodJohnnypaul26Dined on 8/25/2014My wife and I and our three kids, aged 4 - 6 had a wonderful meal here. Kids menu is great, from mac and cheese to filet mignon. I had the filet, (adult size) which was wonderful and the wife had a pasta dish she finished completely, which she almost never does. Wonderful wait staff, fast service and good table bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedanniegirlDined on 8/25/2014Was seated in a very tiny table on the front porch. Waitress was pleasant and knowledgeable. Ordered the "special" chipolte ribs - very fatty and tasteless. Sent back to the kitchen, manager was very responsive and took this entree off the bill. Second order of open face lasagna was almost inedible. We were the first diners in the restaurant that night and that entree was already dried out. The meatballs on the lasagna were dry and tasted sour. The noodle was hard and slightly burned on the edges. Sauce was sour. Not a pleasant experience.
- Very disappointed!!Beachgirl9999VIPDined on 8/24/2014We have been here before but this time was our last! The service was poor. Half the time we couldn't find our server and we overheard specials told to another table that we were not told. The short ribs consisted of 1 very fatty rib with a huge bone. The lamb chops were over cooked and tough. And the pasta dishes were not anything special! Half of the desserts on the menu were out. And the cappuccino was 3/4 froth with 2 sips of coffee . We couldn't find the server to get the check. And we were seated next to a huge table when there were plenty of other tables that were empty all night. All I can say us never again!! There are too many good restaurants in Cape May to choose from!Special Features: