Fresco Trattoria & Bar
264 Carlsbad Village Dr
Carlsbad, CA 92009Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Fresco Trattoria & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.frescorestaurants.com/
- Phone: 7607203737
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 2:30pm - 9:30pm Saturday and Sunday open all day
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: Leone D'Arcangelo
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Might we, at Fresco, suggest that you plan your next home or office party with Fresco chef/owner Leone D'Archangelo. Pick a date, invite your guests, and let Leone and his staff do the rest. They will provide the Italian menu of your choice.
- Private Party Facilities: Consider Fresco for your next private event. Chef/Owner Leone would be happy to help you plan your party. The restaurant can accommodate your guests, from the smallest of family birthdays, to your next corporate holiday party. If you wish, the open-air patio can be reserved and your guests will experience the pleasure of alfresco dining as if they were in Italy. Call Leone and his staff today for reservations.
- Private Party Contact: Leone 7607203737
A word from Fresco Trattoria & Bar
Enjoy wonderfully authentic food and ambiance in the main dining room, casual bar, or the warm inviting patio. Leone D’Arcangelo and his family look forward to welcoming you to the restaurant. Fresco is one block from the sparkling blue Pacific and very similar to the village of Sperlonga where Leone was born. The romance of Italy is here in beautiful downtown Carlsbad. Visit Leone and his staff for lunch, dinner or perhaps a drink after work.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Fresco Trattoria & Bar - Best Restaurants in Carlsbad ›
Fresco Trattoria & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (12)romantic (11)great for outdoor dining (10)notable wine list (10)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (7)fit for foodies (5)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Fresco Carlsbad CABobBDined on 8/18/2014Delicious food, Great Service, beautiful decor, this restaurant has it all. Their pasta dishes with tomato sauces are the best ever because they use superior ingredients. The service is excellent. We were made to feel at home and treated like regulars who dined there often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealbakster21Dined on 7/27/2014Very impressed with the overall menu and experience at Fresco Trattoria - I can't wait to return and try other menu items! Had the salmon this trip - was excellent!Special Features:
- Excellent! Eat here!!!!!!Susan12Dined on 7/25/2014Great food, great service! Reasonably priced. Great for a romantic night out or for the family. I do recommend sitting outside. Tends to get a little noisy inside. Susan Hair WomensChoiceAward.comSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dining with friendsFoodieDined on 7/25/2014We recently moved to the San Diego area and met some friends for dinner here and loved it. We sat outside and enjoyed the great atmosphere and pretty much closed the place down. The wait staff was terrific and let us linger over dinner and dessert without rushing us out -- even though it was a Friday evening and they were busy. We ordered the fish and lamb specials and they were delicious. The food and wine were perfectly paired. And the dessert was mouth watering -- homemade and oh so good. I will most definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsvalpDined on 7/10/2014Wonderful evening spent at Fresco. We had a corner table that was private for our party of four. good food and great atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014Great Italian vibe, servers are prompt and have great knowledge of food and wine, worth every penny!!! Will be returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!ItalianfoodieDined on 7/5/2014We went to Fresco for our two year annivirsary and we had such a good time were already planning to go again. Our waiter was amazing, and very helpful with the menu. I had the goat cheese ravioli, calamari, and the creme bruele and everything was amazing. The portions arent so huge you feel like you need a nap after, so we really appreciated that. The place was very clean and a great atmosphere! We will for sure be coming back again.Special Features:
- 1st visitbakster21Dined on 6/22/2014Had an excellent overall 1st visit to Fresco Trattoria - we had a party of 7 plus a baby and had a great time. The food was amazing - portions were plentiful, and between all of us we sampled a large chunk of the menu. I sampled the salmon dish and was impressed with the flavor and overall presentation. I can't wait to return again and try something new!
- Good Italian foodArleneDined on 6/15/2014I took my son and family to dinner at Fresco's for father's day, 2014. I've eaten there numerous times before because it's across the street from the Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort where I have a time share so it's very convenient. I must say the experience did not live up to my usual high expectations. My son really enjoyed his dish, the lamb shank, but my ravioli was mediocre. The tiramisu wasn't nearly as good as I'd remembered. That was one reason we always went to eat at Fresco's. Service wasn't up to par either. It was busy but always is so that shouldn't account for the change in service. My decaf was served tepid and we had to ask for service.Special Features:
- Over pricedchuckDined on 6/14/2014Average food. Average service. Overpriced likely due to locationSpecial Features:
- Ride Up The CoastkvolDined on 6/6/2014Husband and I were just going for a ride up the 101 with no specific plans as to where we would stop for dinner. So glad we decided to stop here. The food was good, our server was very nice and someone you didn't mind coming over to the table to check. Very reasonably priced as well. If it wasn't so far from our house I would say we would have to visit all the time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionLjerryDined on 5/10/2014We brought visiting family on Saturday night and loved the Halibut special, the ambience, the service, and the location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 226 reviews are from the Fresco Trattoria & Bar reviews archive.
- Fresco Trattoria & BarSlvrbkDined on 4/12/2014Have visited Fresco's several times now and have adopted it as our go-to Italian restaurant. Food has always been first rate with an attentive staff although it can get a little noisy with a spirited groups. Outdoor dining is available and a good choice before sunset. Especially grateful for the wait staff and their ability to cater to the young ones quickly.Special Features:
- For shame!MikeDined on 4/4/2014Excellent service when greeted and during dinner which changed poor or "non-existent" after we settled our bill with waiter, Paris, who then ended his shift. After that we were ignored. Three requests for water acknowledged verbally and visually with the remaining server after Paris went unheeded. It was not until I approached this waiter in the prep/kitchen area that water was served! Terrible. Perhaps it wasn't his station, but such a simple request should have been heeded that we might finish celebrating a birthday dinner. Beware the pricey "specials" too!
- Anniversary dinnerHiszingDined on 3/3/2014Everything was great with Fresco. Went here for our anniversary dinner. Made reservations for 4:30 got there right on time, doors didn't open until 4:40 (hence why I gave 4 stars) we were the only ones in the restaurant and took the waiter a bit to get to us. No biggie, they just opened. I think I only got kind of annoyed cause we were on a time crunch to make it to our next destination. The waiter was great, very knowledgable on menu. Wine list was great. Prices were medium upscale but still affordable. Food was delicious and came out hot. Will definetly return in future and enjoy it more when I'm not in a rush. ;)Special Features:
- Excellent cuisine !!!KMACDined on 2/15/2014The restaurant was full and lively and was nice to be a part of the festivities. The staff were quick and responsive and extremely friendly. The specials were all fantastic .... We had the jumbo stuffed pork chop and the filet mignon with mushroom ravioli! We split a salad and my 7 year old daughter( who was with us) had the penne with marinara which was perfect! Can't wait to return to a consistently extraordinary Carlsbad delight!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Fresco AgainMaryVIPDined on 2/15/2014We chose Fresco for our Valentine's Saturday. We've enjoyed this location, and the same in Bonsall, before. The food is consistent and good. I love the lobster ravioli. There are always interesting specials, although we didn't choose one this time. There was a large group in the back of the restaurant and they took all of the parking spaces. This would have been a good time for a temporary valet as we parked three blocks away. Also, because of the large group, we felt that there was insufficient wait staff in the rest of the restaurant. We have not felt this way before so we believe it was an anomaly. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plentiful but not fabulouscarolkDined on 2/15/2014Fresco Trattoria came highly recommended to us. Our waitress was lovely but the restaurant was busy and sometimes service was slow. Four of us dined there. My husband had the pizza. The crust was less than wonderful. Tasted a little bit like something out of one of those Pillsbury pop up cans. My friends husband had the Lasagna. He loved it. My friend tasted the Lasagna and she said it was really good and she wished she had ordered it. My friend ordered the Rigatoni and I ordered the Linguine Bolognese. The sauce just wasn't good. I love Italian food and I am Italian and this sauce really wasn't good. My dish had little meatballs all over it and they tasted like the one's you buy at Costco in the frozen section.Special Features:
- not bad, but nothing specialAndyDined on 2/15/2014I really expected much more based on the reviews. Food was decent but not memorable. Certainly not bad for the price. But it didn't distinguish itself. The good news: friendly, courteous staff; The families with kids were very relaxed and comfortable. The wine list is pretty good - not a bargain -but decent choices and some unusual Italian selections to explore. Downsides: There was a big party there that night and our service was extremely slow - we had to chase down our waitress a few times. Listening to the specials - there were differences between three waitresses - ours never mentioned a fish special, another describe a different sauce. We had to ask for used plates and saucers to be removed - little things.Special Features:
- Best dinner of my lifeFun4allDined on 2/14/2014Let me start by saying I took my fiancé here for dinner for valentines day and the place was hopping busy which is to be expected on a holiday, The wait staff were running all over the place but at the same time they were attentive to each and every table they were making a very great effort to at least stop by each table and smile and make sure things were good and assure that the food was on its way, We are newbies to the wine world and had no clue what to order well our waitress grabbed the bar tender whom also is a wine expert for certain he picked the perfect wine for our dinner, The food was and is absolutely amazing it was so hard to choose what to eat so we ordered 2 dishes apiece agreed that it was the best dinner of our lives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014I have taken my wife for Valentines twice to this restaurant and it has been a good experience. Good food and nice ambiance.Special Features:
- Delicious food, and attentiveRSCohenDined on 2/14/2014Delicious food, and attentive service. A wonderful find for both a Valentine's & Birthday dinner so far from home. We'll be going back next time we get down to the Carlsbad area.Special Features:
- Wonderful Resturantdine2enjoyDined on 2/14/2014My husband and I love this place. The atmosphere is quaint, the service is outstanding and the food can't be beat. We've been there several times and have never been disappointed. We've also recommended it numerous times, everyone we have sent here has raved about it. The seafood pasta is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day SuccessSucker4specialsDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I had Valentine's Day dinner at Fresco and the experience lived up to expectations. Great ambiance, wonderful wine selection, and delicious meals... Not to mention it's a stone's throw from the beach in case you are interested in an after dinner stroll! Come prepared to sit close to fellow diners and do a little cross table socializing if you go on a busy night... It's an Italian restaurant after all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's day dinnerValetinesapprovedDined on 2/14/2014I decided on this place based on diner reviews, never ever really hearing of the place before. Needless to say I was very pleased. The service from the hostess to our server was great. Very friendly despite being very busy because of Valentine's day. My wife and I were seated imediately, our food was served promptly by our very Italian server. I had a prosciutto stuffed pork chop which was amazing. We were very happy with our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for a dateColmcilleDined on 2/14/2014This was our first visit to Fresco. Because it was St. Valentine's Day it was pretty busy and a little crowded. The service was outstanding. The ambiance is very romantic and inviting. The wine list is extensive. The wines I was familiar with were a little pricey in comparison to other restaurants. The food was good but nothing extraordinary. This could have also been because of the holiday rush. I might return in the future on a not so busy evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- V-day CatastropheSherpaDined on 2/14/2014We had a 7pm reservation on valentines night, that turned into us walking out of the restaurant. We put our drink and appetizer order in some time around 7:10 and did not receive either for 30 minutes. We put our entrée order in at 7:30 and had to ask about our drinks and appetizer order. With no entrée in sight it was now 8:30, so I asked our server and she said it would be out shortly, I am not sure if she realized it had been about an hour and fifteen minutes. I asked to speak to the manager he promptly came over and we asked for the check, he insisted that we stay. Manager was reluctant to let us go. thought we were going to have to stand up and leave, after almost causing a scene the check came and we choose In-n-out driver through.
- First TimerThunderhawkDined on 2/14/2014Although we've lived in Carlsbad for many years, and have eaten at many of the downtown restaurants, we had never eaten at Fresco Trattoria. We went there for a casual Valentine's Day dinner and had their Halibut special. It was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for Valentine'sMaggieDined on 2/14/2014We have eaten at the restaurant several times and the food and service is always good. The only issue we have with this visit to the restaurant is that because it was Valentines Day they crammed extra tables in the restaurant to try and accommodate everyone. With that it made it very tight and loud. Otherwise everything was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.DC13Dined on 2/14/2014We had a party of 7. Everyone was served at once and all the good was cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresco's/CarlsbadOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014All lunches we had(4) were very good-including fish dishes, eggplant parmesan, pear and gorgonzola salad etc. Service was fast but waiter was not intrusive. We had a very quiet and relaxing lunch on a Sunday and there was lots of empty tables. Prices were moderate for that area too!Special Features:
- Awesome experience!doc4teethDined on 2/6/2014I was a little skeptical initially but after the announcement of the specials...forget the menu! OMG was this a fabulous dinner. Had an awesome server and nice dinner. I would highly recommend this quaint find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticGoodEaterDined on 1/20/2014Not the usual Italo-Americano/canned Sysco bsgeddi sauce. This is the real thing. Marinara made from fresh plum tomatoes, bread baked on the premises, fresh meats and fishes done to perfection. The salads are works of art aesthetically and gastronomically. I highly recommend Fresco Trattoria for any occasion, a casual meal, fine dining, a cocktail after work in the bar and dancing on Saturday nights!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been here severalMaggieDined on 1/19/2014We have been here several times and we are never disappointed. The food, service and all are always perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentAussieguyDined on 1/18/2014Great Italian food, creamy sauces and great signature dishes, we had a birthday day there and the staff are very freindly and give excellent service. The desserts are to die for with great coffee. Highly recommend this place for personal and business dinners. EnjoySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect New Years Day choiceGreblitzDined on 1/1/2014My wife and I chose this restaurant for our away-from-home New Years dinner. The choice was made sight unseen online and in some measure because they had an opening at the early time we wanted. Because of that time we were almost the only diners there but that can be an advantage. The welcome and seating very courteous. We were joined by an excellent waitperson and she and the several others who helped during dinner continued a high level of service. An excellent martini, wide wine list, artichoke heart starter and lamb rack entree followed. All were excellent. For us this was a very fortunate choice.Special Features:
- Manga Manga!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Delicious! Foods are cooked perfectly from hot pans on stove/ oven to dish to table! My family and I adore this restaurant completely even though we have only been twice! We will definitely be back next time we come to town!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just missedSharenDined on 12/28/2013My husband and I took 2 of our Italian/wine guru friends to Frescos for dinner. I liked the ability to make our reservations online. The ambiance was good but the noise level made it difficult to enjoy. There was no problem bringing our favorite wine and the server was very pleasant about opening it for us. I ordered the lobster special which was dry and rubbery. On the plus side our server was great about taking it back and the ravioli side dish was very tasty.
- Nothing to brag about.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013Our meal was good. Not outstanding. Service was adequate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have eaten at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013We have eaten at this restaurant many times before. The food and ambiance is consistently good as is the service. It is good for business meetings, social meetings and romantic evenings out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.