Fresco Italian Cafe
1513 South 1500 East
Salt Lake City, UT 84105Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Fresco Italian Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.frescoitaliancafe.com/
- Phone: (801) 486-1300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Mikel Trapp
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
- Private Party Contact: Cherie Bartleson 8014861300x11
A word from Fresco Italian Cafe
Chef Logen Crew takes pride in creating innovative Italian food using fresh, seasonal, and local produce. We feature fresh house-made pastas, along with a nightly risotto that should not be missed. Join us on the candle lit patio, tucked back behind The King's English Bookstore, or dine with us inside in our intimate, cottage-like dining room. Browse the books at the bookstore before dinner, or have a glass of wine and wait in our garden where we grow and use some of our own produce. We do not take reservations for our patio, but we do our best to accommodate all requests. Due to the intimate size of our restaurant, parties of 5 or more should call the restaurant in order to make a reservation. We look forward to you dining with us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Fresco Italian Cafe - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Fresco Italian Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (38)romantic (33)special occasion (33)great for outdoor dining (31)fit for foodies (26)notable wine list (16)good for groups (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great food - but not a great experienceGee1Dined on 11/15/2014The ravioli was excellent, but that was the only good part of the meal. The server was very unfriendly and they turned off the heat in the restaurant while we were still finishing our meal. We had to put on our winter coats to finish our dessert and pay the bill!Special Features:
- Disappointed with specialmarycDined on 11/12/2014I hadn't visited Fresco in a number of years. The Salk Lake restaurant scene is very competitive. My husband and I both ordered the special Paella. It had way too much cheese on it and neither of us could finish it. The polenta starter was Ok. Not amazing. We went with another couple who seemed to enjoy the mussels and pasta. I doubt we will be back. There are some wonderful alternative in our area. Prices were reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So darlingCouplesFoodieDined on 10/29/2014We went here to celebrate a birthday, and it was lovely. The food was good, our server was nice, and the atmosphere was so romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014The service impeccable and the food was unique and fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is the placebrentVIPDined on 10/17/2014Fresco is my favorite restaurant in Salt Lake City. The food is always delicious, the service is always great and we always have a wonderful time eating here.Special Features:
- Not typical frescoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014Had an impromptu dinner here last Saturday and must say I was very disappointed. Typically fresco has been amazing. Not tonight. Food was iffy at best - had calamari appetizer and the squid was rubber. Sea bass special for main was incredibly oily and the fish was overcooked. I'm pretty sad about this since every other time I've been to fresco it was incredible. Also there was no music on so it was just an awkward dining room with a few tables trying not to talk to loud. Bummer.Special Features:
- Used to be amazing.nethercyclistDined on 10/10/2014Love this quaint neighborhood italian restaurant. Went for our 30th wedding anniversary and found it to be charming as ever, but just not the amazing food it used to be. Our polenta appetizer was five-star delicious. Knocked our socks off. But the salad, soup, and bread were surprisingly average and both our entrees arrived cold (we considered asking for them to be microwaved). Not only that, but the flavors were waaaaay rich and over-spiced. My pasta was like eating a giant sprig of rosemary. It was honestly hard to take more than a few bites of either entree. Only the wild mushroom polenta appetizer reminded us of the Fresco of days gone by when we fell in love with it. Hope it was a fluke. Our neighborhood needs a vibrant Fresco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extreme disappointmentnicknameVIPDined on 10/10/2014Server disappeared forever between appetizers and salads, wine glasses empty way too long, plates had to stack up on the center of the table. Main dishes were not good: fish overdone, pasta looked like it had ground beef in it and sauce tasted like water. Deserts came out and were laughable . . . tiny, tiny tiny. I think you can do better than Fresco.
- Fresh, delicious quality dining.ThorntonBDined on 10/2/2014This was my third time dining at Fresco. I took a date there for her Birthday. We shared two stellar appetizers (fresco polenta and a beet salad). Her chicken dish, Mary’s Chicken Involtini, was wonderfully prepared; a perfect mix of savory and peppery. I will order it for myself next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresco is excellent!Dine4FunVIPDined on 9/30/2014Wonderful quaint ambiance with food that is brilliant, offering tasty inventiveness. The grilled calamari is unsurpassed, fresh and delicious, whilst the entrées of pork and fettuccine were outstanding. Wine list is simple but has consistent, quality drops. Our first restaurant we at in SLC when we arrived 3 years ago, and our last. In between with many a visit it has always proven to be one of the best in the city and easily one of the most consistent.Special Features:
- Hidden GemCraigHVIPDined on 9/27/2014Once you discover Fresco in the small house behind and between two picturesque brick buildings you find a tiny, packed, meticulous little Italian restaurant with fantastic food, distinct entrees and impeccable service. Definitely worth the discovery.Special Features:
- ConsistentMikeBDined on 9/25/2014Fresco remains consistently delicious. Service, food, presentation, ambience are all top notch.Special Features:
- horribleserviceDined on 9/23/2014This is one of the best Italian places i visited in salt lake city. Nice food options and multiple options for wine lovers.Special Features:
- Never disappointedRossgrl12Dined on 9/20/2014Fresco is one of the best restaurants in Salt Lake! We have been going here for years. The food, wine, service and ambiance are absolutely wonderful. Bobbi is the best and we look forward to seeing her when we dine at Fresco. I'm looking forward to the next time we dine at Fresco...Special Features:
- Very genteel placeSusaVIPDined on 9/13/2014We always enjoy eating at this restaurant. Sometimes the service is a bit slow, but the food is good and seasonal. I recommend keeping some "normal" flavors of gelato and sorbet on the menu for those of us who enjoy classic eating. Lemon, vanilla, chocolate are always winners. Odd savory spices in gelato or sorbet are not so appealing. Very attractive atmosphere and friendly wait staff.Special Features:
- great ambianceslclocalDined on 9/5/2014It was my first time there and i went because i had heard they had nice outdoor dining.Great patio. Cute and quaint. Food was delicious. Only negative was having to flag down our waitress for more wine, but not really a big deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014We had the Smoked Mushroom Canneloni which was described in the menu as Heirloom Tomato, Goat Cheddar Fonduta, Chive. There were chives and 2-3 small pieces of tomato on top. The canneloni mushroom stuffing was very mushy and it and the fonduta were quite salty. While attractive, the dish was not particularly appealing to eat. The caesar salad was very good, but even the decaf french press coffee was very weak. I love the location and ambience, but was disappointed in the food.Special Features:
- Best food in salt lakeKkenny801VIPDined on 8/31/2014Everything is made to order so you get a real dining experience. All the food comes from local farmers and is made into creative and delicious dishes. The service is phenomenal as well as the atmosphere. They have a perfect sized patio for al fresco dining and inside is small and quaint. If you go on a busy night in the winter the converted house does get noisy but the food makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive but .....CarpeDiemVIPDined on 8/29/2014I ask for lemon for my water and it never came and yet the waiter kept coming back to see if we were ready to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GeorgeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/11/2014One of our favorite dinner spots in SLC . Decor can get facelift .Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014One of our favorite restaurants. Foood is always good.Special Features:
- One of our favoritesFoodieDined on 8/8/2014Overall wonderful dining experience every time. Varied and seasonal menu, knowledgeable chef and helpful front staff, ideal warm weather or winter setting. We will be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JadaDined on 8/8/2014Great food, great wine, great service, great patio!Special Features:
- OutstandingAnniversaryDinnerDined on 8/5/2014Perfect evening on the outdoor patio. Food was excellent with a strong summer menu. Wait staff experienced and unobtrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little restaurantWolfDined on 8/5/2014Fresco is tucked in to the corner of 15th and 15th and can be a little hard to spot at first. But it's well worth finding! Nice outdoor patio for dining that is covered in case it rains, which it did while I was there. The food is very good and presented nicely. Service was a touch slow but nothing to complain about. Worth a visit.Special Features:
- The Best In UtahJadaDined on 8/2/2014The quality and attention to detail in each plate is astounding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TerrificOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014My first time to Fresco and it met or exceeded all my expectations. Food was great, it is a very quiet and peaceful atmosphere, service was good, parking was easy and it was just a very good experience.Special Features:
- Dinner on the patio - August 1bobosatDined on 8/1/2014The patio was very crowded because of many too many tables placed in a small area. My chair was constantly being hit by the gentleman seated behind me. The tables are too small to accommodate four people. The chairs are uncomfortable. Mary's chicken was very dry and over-done and tasteless. The service was slow (perhaps a staffing problem) as the patio was totally occupied. The risotto was good, but the quantity was too much.
- The following 562 reviews are from the Fresco Italian Cafe reviews archive.
- One of our favoritesreoramaDined on 7/25/2014fell in love years ago and look forward to coming back every time. food is always fantastic would highly recommend this to allSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014First time. Inside - corner table by ourselves. Perfect. Great meal.Special Features:
- Fresco Italian Cafe -Yumsal56Dined on 7/8/2014Charming small restaurant with very good food. A must experience.Special Features:
- ReliableMerewetherVIPDined on 7/7/2014Professional in both food quality and service. Charming atmosphere, although would be a bit claustrophobic (and noisy) if full. Perhaps a reason to time one's visits to when one can comfortably sit out on the small but sheltered patio.Special Features:
- DisappointmentTrueFoodies2014Dined on 7/5/2014This restaurant used to be so tasty. I had the worst piece of meat I have had in 30 years of dining, it was tough and chewy with no flavor. I asked for it medium rare and got a hockey puck! Truly a real disappointment! All 4 of us had poor meals.
- Service A+, Food execution B-KathVIPDined on 7/1/2014This is one of our favorite spots in SLC so we took some business clients there. The menu and service were awesome. But surprisingly, the food execution was below par of what we've had over the years. The cheese plate was a bit boring (Pago's is better) and most dishes were a bit under cooked even for us who love al dente - carrot appetizer and pastas. The artichoke tortelli was swimming in butter/oil and a bit heavy. The fava bean agnoletti and lamb/sausage ragu past were both OK, but nothing I would repeat. It was Tuesday, so maybe the regular chef was out? The desserts were nice but again, nothing memorable. Ambiance and service were so good - sure wish meal had matched!Special Features:
- Stands the test of timeWootPDXDined on 6/30/2014After moving away from SLC, my wife & I went back to Fresco on a recent visit. The memories we had of a quaint, tucked-away restaurant with amazing food did not disappoint. We ate inside for old time's sake, and because of the summer weather sort of wish we would have opted for outside. That said, it was still great. The one piece of feedback I would give for something that may have been nicer was how the inside was decorated. Not that it needs big changes, but a change of curtains and a few frames on the walls would add some nicer touches to the overall ambience. None of that got in the way of a great walk down memory lane, and a spectacular dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Experiencenbc1VIPDined on 6/28/2014The food was great and the outside atmosphere was really good too. We definitely recommend the restaurant!Special Features:
- good, not great anymoreSaltgoodDined on 6/26/2014Fresco is good - but it isn't the top notch place it used to be. The food was fine, but not to the level you would expect for a high-end restaurant. My salad was fine, but quality was replaced by quantity. I had a pasta dish that was ok, but again, I got twice as much food as I needed, and it wasn't to the level I'd expect.Special Features:
- Lovely evening?WheezyDined on 6/19/2014What would have been a lovely evening go very good food, a well mixed cocktail and enjoyable company topped off by excellent service was greatly detracted by the most uncomfortable chairs on the planet! There has Got to be a better way to achieve patio seating! The only other complaint was not the Restirante's fault; why do people insist on bringing young and completely unruly children to an establishment like this for dinner? Between the two kids running around all through the dining area and their mothers chasing but not chastising them the night was nearly ruined!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Father's Day to RememberDandLDined on 6/15/2014Fresco brought us delicious food in a relaxed, home-like dining room. Seasoning was subtle and refined. Service was efficient, friendly, and attentive without intrusion. We'll come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemhotxbunDined on 6/14/2014You'll find a delicious meal at Fresco Italian Cafe with patio charm and terrific service on the side. The server was knowledgeable about the wine and the food and made a good recommendation for the chicken. The patio is small but I didn't notice a lot of noise. Nice. I certainly look forward to going back and trying it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.