Fresca - West Portal
24 West Portal Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94127Neighborhood:
Forest Hill / West Portal
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
Fresca - West Portal
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.frescasf.com/
- Phone: (415) 759-8087
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian, Latin / Spanish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for details.
A word from Fresca - West Portal
Only at Fresca will you find A Nouveau Peruvian Cuisine, a modernized style of Peruvian food crafted by Chef Jose Calvo-Perez, son of Julio and Zoila. We are proud to feature both traditional and A Nouveau Culinary styles in modernized presentations. We keep the Peruvian cuisine alive by keeping all traditional Peruvian ingredients and incorporating them into all our creationsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPeruvian
Fresca - West Portal - Best Restaurants in Forest Hill / West Portal ›
Fresca - West Portal reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)fit for foodies (31)hot spot (12)special occasion (11)great for lunch (11)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (8)romantic (7)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Will come backMike1MartyDined on 11/14/2014The food was good, the waiters were personable and friendly, unlike the Noe Valley Fresca, this branch knows how treat people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great slice of PeruBaconatorDined on 11/10/2014If this is how they eat in Peru, then take me there now...., Lomo Saltado is all you need to know, but also catch some of the wonderful appetizers and ceviche. Good Peruvian beer and delightful desserts make every aspect of a trip to Fresca special. There were 7 people in our party and they accommodated us quickly and easily. The food was fantastic from plantains to caesar salad to the Lomo Saltado, each done to perfection, and all in my party were very happy.Special Features:
- Delicious and a little differentAngeltobyDined on 11/3/2014Fantastic flavors. Highly recommend the ceviche. Fresh oysters. Empanadas. Great neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than a Neighborhood spotEXCELLENTDined on 11/1/2014With 3 locations in SF all of which are located in upscale neighborhoods, FRESCA retain neighborhood charm. Family owned and managed, the dinning experience reflects the Calvo Perez family values of personal service and individual attention. Menu changes but not too often. Reflect Peruvian influence in modern dining trends. Creative food offerings with some tradition. A must if visiting SF. Away from tourist area - real SF.Special Features:
- Always yummyfongarooDined on 10/29/2014I have been coming to this location for over 10 years and have always had consistent service and amazing food. It is sad, but we almost always order the same items as the last time because we crave it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RhmmpDined on 10/24/2014Great food!!! A terric find in a nice neighbourhood.Special Features:
- Excellent food!CesarVIPDined on 10/10/2014I've have gone to Frescas for a few years now and I got to say that the food is always excellent. Service has improve a lot and wine choices are very good.Special Features:
- Menu differenceMiddayDinerDined on 10/7/2014I went to the Fresca on West Portal and they have a different menu than the one posted on Open Table. It does NOT include the M-F special for $14.95 so be aware.
- CevicheslacDined on 10/5/2014Great Ceviche! All the dishes I've had our very well put together and presentedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peruvian in West PortalNativegalVIPDined on 10/4/2014My friend and I were not disappointed in our first visit to Fresca. We share the three ceviche starter along with a seafood fry; very tasty dishes both. The service could be more attentive; we waited a long time just to be given an opportunity to ask for water upon arrival. It was one of the hottest days of the year and the place was not crowded at 1:30 when we got there. Nonetheless, we would go back for the very delicious food!Special Features:
- A nice place for a nice night out.Dining4funDined on 10/3/2014We met another couple for dinner and were able to get an Open Table reservation within 3 hours of seating time. This was our 3rd time to Fresca. The food is always good, fresh and delicious. We were seated promptly. The restaurant got full and much of the passing foot traffic would peer in curiously. It's well located on West Portal near the metro station so easy to access. It was a rare warm SF evening and we were grateful for a table next to the open front window. Sangria was perfect! The staff was attentive, polite and cordial. If they were more friendly it would have made for a more memorable dining experience. Our server was good & efficient, but not warm. The price was also generally more than we'd spend for a casual dinner out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- small restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/3/2014This place has been in the neighborhood for a long time now. We always order the lomo saltado and sangria. But, this time the sangria had less chopped fruits in it. I tried a the lomo saltado salt free this time and do not recommend it. It's the soy sauce which gives it the nice flavor. The tables can be crowded together because the place is small. We like coming back here to dine from time to time.Special Features:
- A Lunch Restaurant with Good FoodeseleneDined on 10/3/2014Peruvian food is always good! There were two of us and we shared what we ordered. The crevice was nicely done and generous. We also shared a salmon and bacon sandwich. At first the bread/bun seemed to be too big; however it was light and crunchy, just perfect for the salmon which was served slightly pink. It was a perfect sandwich although, since I love bacon, I would have liked a little more. But, then that would have made it a bit unhealthy!?!?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Excellent seafood, very flavorful dishes. A positive dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and great servicemelody65Dined on 10/1/2014Food was delicious. Service was great. This restaurant consistently serves good food.Special Features:
- Awesome! The best ceviche ever!!!Drea52liveVIPDined on 9/30/2014A friend and I went for dinner specifically for their ceviche. We had the trio at the Fillmore location for lunch/brunch the first time. Now it is only served at dinner and the West Portal location is a half block from the station. We had a trio again and they were all better than remembered. We are going back in a few weeks when I get my Open Table check. Can't wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service needs workSFGiantsGirlDined on 9/27/2014Sangria is okay, seafood is delicious! It's weird that it is a Spanish restaurant that serves paella, and yet it is not on the menu as Paella. It's THAT kind of place. Pretentious menu, but the food is good, not plentiful, but yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Lunch at FrescaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/19/2014I entertained clients at Fresca for lunch. The restaurant wasn't too busy when we arrived at 11:30 on a Friday. The food was very good but the service was lacking. They could have been much more attentive, i felt like i had to ask for more water and also the check. The servers seemed disinterested. I recommend the ceviche loco, delicious!Special Features:
- Delicious FoodKJSFVIPDined on 9/1/2014I dine at this restaurant and the Noe Valley location a lot. I am a vegetarian and there are two dishes in particular that I love and get all the time. This was the first time I have eaten lunch there. The service was a bit lackadaisical (we had to flag the waitress to ask things like for a coffee refill or a box for leftovers)
- Popular PeruvianhungergamesVIPDined on 8/29/2014We've eaten here twice in the past 18 months - both times have been great! The dining room has been very busy both times, but the staff handled it with aplomb. Every menu item we've tired has been very flavorful, and the waiters and kitchen staff have gotten it out to our table efficiently. This is a real plus for us, with two youngish kids. The pork mole entree is outstanding. The salads are great too. A bartender and longer list of house cocktails would be a plus, but I'm not sure they have room for a proper bar in this small space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful PeruSmartmoviedogDined on 8/14/2014I love Peruvian food. Fresca is one of many SF Peruvian restaurants, each unique. What distinguishes Fresca is its subtle use of spices, savory and piquant. The entrees include two vegetarian items, the veggie quinoa and a hot spicy veggie tagine. The beer list includes two Peruvians and the attentive waitress knew what to recommend. It was just too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious...as usual.BethSFVIPDined on 8/10/2014I have never gone wrong here and we have been going to this restaurant for twenty years. It has gone through several transformations...from a casual wrap place to a "white table cloth place" from bread to chips to NEITHER ! The Peruvian dishes are mouth-wateringly delicious. One of my favorites stand-bys is the Toro salad with steak or chicken. It is perfect. The ceviche is outstanding. Try the sampler. I love Rocky, the lovely waiter with the warm smile, and the other people there too. Everyone is warm and friendly and the food is delicious. What more could you ask for? Oh drinks, you say ? How about some of their delicious sangria? And don't even get me going on the desserts...Oooooh they make delicious little cookies...Special Features:
- A Neighborhood GemBubbaDined on 8/9/2014Some of the best restaurants in SF are moderately priced neighborhood restaurants, with excellent food. This is one of them. Have had several meals at Fresca-West Portal. They have always been delicious. On our last visit, we were pressed for time and the restaurant accommodated our needs with prompt service, which we appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!MaureensfDined on 8/9/2014I love this restaurant! Every dish is masterfully prepared, presented, and delightful on the taste buds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to meet a friend for dinner!SFFoodieDined on 8/4/2014I met a friend I haven't been able to meet up with in a while so we got a table in the window which made catching up easier with regard to the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 487 reviews are from the Fresca - West Portal reviews archive.
- Great FindKMacVIPDined on 7/24/2014We had never been to a Peruvian restaurant before. We're glad we came. We couldn't decide on a ceviche so we went with the 4 ceviche sampler and used the waiter's recommendations and we were glad we did. Each was unique and different from the Mexican style we were used to. My wife had one of the specials featuring ahi tuna -- cooked perfectly and well enhanced by the sauce & sides. I had a seafood combination featuring a whole fried fish and squid, shrimp and scallops in a tasty tomato sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeCDined on 7/21/2014Fresca's is an excellent restaurant for solid Peruvian type food. The appetizers are a bit overpriced and are not as generously proportioned as the main entres. I had the salmon over inked rice and the salmon was undercooked and the calamari in the rice was rubbery to my taste. That said, the entres are always large portions and you will not go away hungry! The Service is fantastic! Everyone from the hostess, the waiters and the bus boys were attentive and always ready to react to any of our needs. I have dined here before and the pork stew is out of this world! I definitely would recommend Fresca's to anyone visiting the West Portal area and looking for a great place to dine.Special Features:
- MisinformationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014A friend and I had been here before for weekend brunch. We tried to go a couple of weeks ago without a reservation. We confirmed on their website that they opened at 10a, but they weren't open. Made a reservation for Sunday at 11a. Website says "Weekend Brunch". We got seated right away (only customers). The menu is for Lunch, not Brunch. Tried flagging the waitress for many minutes (who still hadn't checked in to see what we wanted to drink). Waitress finally came over many minutes later, we asked about brunch. It turns out they had stopped all weekend brunch, months ago, but had still not updated their website. Since all their other menu items contain allergens for me, we again had to leave for another venue. We will not be returning.
- delicious dinnerfamilyof4Dined on 7/5/2014We had a lovely dinner to celebrate my son's birthday. My other son doesn't eat much seafood but there were enough choices for him as well. We all loved our dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food never failslucaselpelucasDined on 6/28/2014The West Portal Fresca is particularly noisy and cramped but the food, especially all manner of seafood, is top notch. The whole fried fish (pescado a lo macho) was a particular standout. Between apps and main courses we waited what seemed like a very long time (probably had to do with the table of 12 next to us) and since we had brought in one bottle of wine and ordered another I thought it would have been a really nice gesture to waive the corkage. No dice. The wine list here is an afterthought but the prices are reasonable (a straight 100% markup). $18 corkage. We'll be back but maybe early or late on a weeknight. Prime time weekend is way too noisy.Special Features:
- Excellent place.kesslerVIPDined on 6/21/2014One of the best restaurants in San Francisco: small & friendly informal atmosphere, fascinating food, interesting wines, good neighborhood, easy to reach, nice people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another pleasant experience FrescaGregoryDined on 6/17/2014Thank you for the great food and perfect service. Will see you soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014Went for a Sunday lunch and food was good but not as good as when I went during the weekday. The service on a busy Sunday afternoon was terrible. Only 2 waiters who busing the tables, taking phone orders, serving the food, taking orders and bagging leftovers. Took 15 minutes to get our check and our waters were never refilled. For a Zagat rated restaurant, please make sure you have enough staff especially on the weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable!Senior1Dined on 6/7/2014Went to Fresca on Fillmore a couple of times. West Portal location is so much better. Better service and food. Didn't feel rush and enjoyed the El Toro Steak (salad) and Arroz Con Mariscos (paella). We ordered half of carafe of Sangria and was surprised they almost filled the pitcher to the top! Wonderful dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKfeedMeGoodFoodVIPDined on 6/6/2014I personally think the food is better at the Noe Valley location.
- tasty, light peruvian foodErikaVIPDined on 6/1/2014This our 2nd time to this location West Portal. The food is very flavorful, light and tasty. all the dish were good. this time the ceviche was a little to lemon-strong--last time was good. If we want to eat Peruvian food, we will go back again.Special Features:
- Taking us for granted?Bob32xyzDined on 5/23/2014Visited on a busy Friday night; thankful to get a reservation at exactly the time I wanted. Ceviche, a regular favorite was served without the usual plaintain chips or any other crisp. And no explanation... How odd. When I asked I was told they didn't have the plaintain chips tonight. Even more odd for a Peruvian restaurant, don't' you think? Overall the food was still good, better than most places. With better service, I would have ordered an additional glass of wine, too. But the waitstaff never asked if I'd like another glass, so I decided to spend that 12-15$ elsewhere.Special Features:
- Never disappointsTurkophileDined on 5/18/2014I always enjoy the Peruvian slant to the food, even the crab and avocado sandwich, which rocks.Special Features:
- Delectable and CreativeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/9/2014Every dish surpassed the last. Peruvian tapas the way they should be made with creativity and inspiration. The Ceviches were perfect, especially the tuna with coconut milk.Special Features:
- Amazing Ceviche!!MPLSfoodieDined on 5/8/2014Starter: Ceviche w fish, shrimp, baby octopus, nicely spiced, a hint of tamarin plus a surprising bit of cooked sweet potato finishes off the best ceviche. Entree:perfectly seared ahi tuna, a bed of nicely seasoned, purple mashed potatoes. Finished w a complexly spiced, somewhat sweet & sour papaya salsa. Dessert: extremely dense flan, expertly caramelized sugar & tres leche ice cream -- the only thing missing was something to sop up the remaining caramelized sugar and ice cream from the plate. Nice shopping neighborhood gem, steps from train-stop easy to downtown. From bar, saw beautifully plated braised chicken, ripe plantains, bouillabaisse & other Peruvian favorites, a teaser for my next trip.Special Features: