Fresca - West Portal
24 West Portal Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94127Neighborhood:
Forest Hill / West Portal
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
Fresca - West Portal
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.frescasf.com/
- Phone: 415-759-8087
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Peruvian, Latin / Spanish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Non-Smoking Area, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for details.
A word from Fresca - West Portal
Only at Fresca will you find A Nouveau Peruvian Cuisine, a modernized style of Peruvian food crafted by Chef Jose Calvo-Perez, son of Julio and Zoila. We are proud to feature both traditional and A Nouveau Culinary styles in modernized presentations. We keep the Peruvian cuisine alive by keeping all traditional Peruvian ingredients and incorporating them into all our creationsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerPeruvian
Fresca - West Portal - Best Restaurants in Forest Hill / West Portal ›
Fresca - West Portal reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (44)fit for foodies (28)great for lunch (11)romantic (9)special occasion (9)kid-friendly (8)hot spot (7)great for brunch (6)good for groups (6)notable wine list (5)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Nice Lunch at FrescaOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/19/2014I entertained clients at Fresca for lunch. The restaurant wasn't too busy when we arrived at 11:30 on a Friday. The food was very good but the service was lacking. They could have been much more attentive, i felt like i had to ask for more water and also the check. The servers seemed disinterested. I recommend the ceviche loco, delicious!Special Features:
- Delicious FoodKJSFVIPDined on 9/1/2014I dine at this restaurant and the Noe Valley location a lot. I am a vegetarian and there are two dishes in particular that I love and get all the time. This was the first time I have eaten lunch there. The service was a bit lackadaisical (we had to flag the waitress to ask things like for a coffee refill or a box for leftovers)
- Popular PeruvianhungergamesVIPDined on 8/29/2014We've eaten here twice in the past 18 months - both times have been great! The dining room has been very busy both times, but the staff handled it with aplomb. Every menu item we've tired has been very flavorful, and the waiters and kitchen staff have gotten it out to our table efficiently. This is a real plus for us, with two youngish kids. The pork mole entree is outstanding. The salads are great too. A bartender and longer list of house cocktails would be a plus, but I'm not sure they have room for a proper bar in this small space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful PeruSmartmoviedogDined on 8/14/2014I love Peruvian food. Fresca is one of many SF Peruvian restaurants, each unique. What distinguishes Fresca is its subtle use of spices, savory and piquant. The entrees include two vegetarian items, the veggie quinoa and a hot spicy veggie tagine. The beer list includes two Peruvians and the attentive waitress knew what to recommend. It was just too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious...as usual.BethSFVIPDined on 8/10/2014I have never gone wrong here and we have been going to this restaurant for twenty years. It has gone through several transformations...from a casual wrap place to a "white table cloth place" from bread to chips to NEITHER ! The Peruvian dishes are mouth-wateringly delicious. One of my favorites stand-bys is the Toro salad with steak or chicken. It is perfect. The ceviche is outstanding. Try the sampler. I love Rocky, the lovely waiter with the warm smile, and the other people there too. Everyone is warm and friendly and the food is delicious. What more could you ask for? Oh drinks, you say ? How about some of their delicious sangria? And don't even get me going on the desserts...Oooooh they make delicious little cookies...Special Features:
- A Neighborhood GemBubbaDined on 8/9/2014Some of the best restaurants in SF are moderately priced neighborhood restaurants, with excellent food. This is one of them. Have had several meals at Fresca-West Portal. They have always been delicious. On our last visit, we were pressed for time and the restaurant accommodated our needs with prompt service, which we appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!MaureensfDined on 8/9/2014I love this restaurant! Every dish is masterfully prepared, presented, and delightful on the taste buds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to meet a friend for dinner!SFFoodieDined on 8/4/2014I met a friend I haven't been able to meet up with in a while so we got a table in the window which made catching up easier with regard to the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindKMacVIPDined on 7/24/2014We had never been to a Peruvian restaurant before. We're glad we came. We couldn't decide on a ceviche so we went with the 4 ceviche sampler and used the waiter's recommendations and we were glad we did. Each was unique and different from the Mexican style we were used to. My wife had one of the specials featuring ahi tuna -- cooked perfectly and well enhanced by the sauce & sides. I had a seafood combination featuring a whole fried fish and squid, shrimp and scallops in a tasty tomato sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeCDined on 7/21/2014Fresca's is an excellent restaurant for solid Peruvian type food. The appetizers are a bit overpriced and are not as generously proportioned as the main entres. I had the salmon over inked rice and the salmon was undercooked and the calamari in the rice was rubbery to my taste. That said, the entres are always large portions and you will not go away hungry! The Service is fantastic! Everyone from the hostess, the waiters and the bus boys were attentive and always ready to react to any of our needs. I have dined here before and the pork stew is out of this world! I definitely would recommend Fresca's to anyone visiting the West Portal area and looking for a great place to dine.Special Features:
- MisinformationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014A friend and I had been here before for weekend brunch. We tried to go a couple of weeks ago without a reservation. We confirmed on their website that they opened at 10a, but they weren't open. Made a reservation for Sunday at 11a. Website says "Weekend Brunch". We got seated right away (only customers). The menu is for Lunch, not Brunch. Tried flagging the waitress for many minutes (who still hadn't checked in to see what we wanted to drink). Waitress finally came over many minutes later, we asked about brunch. It turns out they had stopped all weekend brunch, months ago, but had still not updated their website. Since all their other menu items contain allergens for me, we again had to leave for another venue. We will not be returning.
- delicious dinnerfamilyof4Dined on 7/5/2014We had a lovely dinner to celebrate my son's birthday. My other son doesn't eat much seafood but there were enough choices for him as well. We all loved our dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food never failslucaselpelucasDined on 6/28/2014The West Portal Fresca is particularly noisy and cramped but the food, especially all manner of seafood, is top notch. The whole fried fish (pescado a lo macho) was a particular standout. Between apps and main courses we waited what seemed like a very long time (probably had to do with the table of 12 next to us) and since we had brought in one bottle of wine and ordered another I thought it would have been a really nice gesture to waive the corkage. No dice. The wine list here is an afterthought but the prices are reasonable (a straight 100% markup). $18 corkage. We'll be back but maybe early or late on a weeknight. Prime time weekend is way too noisy.Special Features:
- Excellent place.kesslerVIPDined on 6/21/2014One of the best restaurants in San Francisco: small & friendly informal atmosphere, fascinating food, interesting wines, good neighborhood, easy to reach, nice people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another pleasant experience FrescaGregoryDined on 6/17/2014Thank you for the great food and perfect service. Will see you soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014Went for a Sunday lunch and food was good but not as good as when I went during the weekday. The service on a busy Sunday afternoon was terrible. Only 2 waiters who busing the tables, taking phone orders, serving the food, taking orders and bagging leftovers. Took 15 minutes to get our check and our waters were never refilled. For a Zagat rated restaurant, please make sure you have enough staff especially on the weekends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable!Senior1Dined on 6/7/2014Went to Fresca on Fillmore a couple of times. West Portal location is so much better. Better service and food. Didn't feel rush and enjoyed the El Toro Steak (salad) and Arroz Con Mariscos (paella). We ordered half of carafe of Sangria and was surprised they almost filled the pitcher to the top! Wonderful dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKfeedMeGoodFoodVIPDined on 6/6/2014I personally think the food is better at the Noe Valley location.
- The following 477 reviews are from the Fresca - West Portal reviews archive.
- tasty, light peruvian foodErikaVIPDined on 6/1/2014This our 2nd time to this location West Portal. The food is very flavorful, light and tasty. all the dish were good. this time the ceviche was a little to lemon-strong--last time was good. If we want to eat Peruvian food, we will go back again.Special Features:
- Taking us for granted?Bob32xyzDined on 5/23/2014Visited on a busy Friday night; thankful to get a reservation at exactly the time I wanted. Ceviche, a regular favorite was served without the usual plaintain chips or any other crisp. And no explanation... How odd. When I asked I was told they didn't have the plaintain chips tonight. Even more odd for a Peruvian restaurant, don't' you think? Overall the food was still good, better than most places. With better service, I would have ordered an additional glass of wine, too. But the waitstaff never asked if I'd like another glass, so I decided to spend that 12-15$ elsewhere.Special Features:
- Never disappointsTurkophileDined on 5/18/2014I always enjoy the Peruvian slant to the food, even the crab and avocado sandwich, which rocks.Special Features:
- Delectable and CreativeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/9/2014Every dish surpassed the last. Peruvian tapas the way they should be made with creativity and inspiration. The Ceviches were perfect, especially the tuna with coconut milk.Special Features:
- Amazing Ceviche!!MPLSfoodieDined on 5/8/2014Starter: Ceviche w fish, shrimp, baby octopus, nicely spiced, a hint of tamarin plus a surprising bit of cooked sweet potato finishes off the best ceviche. Entree:perfectly seared ahi tuna, a bed of nicely seasoned, purple mashed potatoes. Finished w a complexly spiced, somewhat sweet & sour papaya salsa. Dessert: extremely dense flan, expertly caramelized sugar & tres leche ice cream -- the only thing missing was something to sop up the remaining caramelized sugar and ice cream from the plate. Nice shopping neighborhood gem, steps from train-stop easy to downtown. From bar, saw beautifully plated braised chicken, ripe plantains, bouillabaisse & other Peruvian favorites, a teaser for my next trip.Special Features:
- BchowDined on 5/4/2014The food was really nicely presented, but nothing extremely special about the quality or taste of the dishes. I remembered the food being more flavorful. The service was disappointing. There seemed to be a decent number of waiters, but it took forever for any one of them to come by to get our orders and once our food came, they never came back to see if we wanted anything else.Special Features:
- Great food!PVfoodloverDined on 5/2/2014We love Fresca. Terrific Peruvian food. Wonderful ceviche (many kinds) and great fish dishes. It gets pretty loud (as most places are) so not great for a large group if you want to talk with each other.Special Features:
- Reliable choice for a casual dinnerdevedr1Dined on 4/12/2014The ceviche mixto was very tasty and overall the dinner very pleasant.Special Features:
- Fresca Restaurant at West PortalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/11/2014Food was good but the service was poor, the waiter was not courteous and was away most of the time even though the restaurant was not crowded. Not a single smile or friendly gesture came out of him.
- Exceptional serviceArturoDined on 4/6/2014The staff is always right on top of things without being bothersome. Very polite, courteous & friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Found small pieces of plasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Found small pieces of plastic in my meal. The salad came with canned crab. Wish they would have stated that on the menu.
- We went to Fresca with a coupleKateDined on 3/22/2014We went to Fresca with a couple who we recently met. It was quiet in the beginning but got increasingly noisy. It was hard to hold a conversation. My husband loves chicken and usually orders it. He has had the half chicken three times and twice it came luke warm. Not a good idea for chicken. I had the Seared Ahi Tuna with Purple Potatoes and it was very good. Our friends liked their trout and seafood dishes .We will go back but won't order the chicken again:-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but crampedSFtravelerDined on 3/21/2014Four of us paid our first visit recently to Fresca. The woman at the door was friendly but asked for my name three times. I don't know if she understood English well but this was off-putting. We were seated at a window table which was nice. But the tables are so close together that it was difficult to get to our table. I ordered the steak salad with a cilantro dressing. The dish was very good. My companions liked their meals as well. I would return again but for the cramped setting.Special Features:
- Fresca rocks.danasbDined on 3/14/2014Had the ceviche quartro and the seared tuna, both fantastic. My friend had the trout and the diver scallops, both really liked there meals, and we all agreed we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple, but goodmegmeg029Dined on 3/13/2014Their food is a modern semi Italian twist on Peruvian food. They have delicious sangria as well! their meats are delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disapoint!!!QueenVIPDined on 3/11/2014We have been eating here for years and the food and services never disapoint. Generous portions and delicious food. The lamb chops are so....good!!! The Halibut is equally delicious too. In fact I have yet to find a dish that I did not like. The Staff is friendly and very helpful. I recommend you try this restaurant. Go out of your way, it is worth it. QueenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOod Peruvian FoodErikaVIPDined on 3/9/2014Everything we ordered was very fresh and tasty. It seems to be better than the one on the fillmore? we were not impressed there when we went. Ceviche was very good, all appetizers were well prepared. We will go back again.Special Features:
- Great seafood menuJqanDined on 2/28/2014Wonderful! Ceviche was great! The trio platter is remarkable! Must be coupled with sweet potato fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice find!flamingflaveDined on 2/21/2014We were 3 & on time for our reservation, and waited for 5 mins. for a table. But, my husband had to park blocks away, delaying us by several minutes. I was very happy that the two of us were seated immediately & the staff were pleasant & assured us there was no rush. As it turned out, within minutes every table was occupied! Wonderful, interesting menu & food presentation. Panco Crab Cakes appetizer was spicy, hot & perfect inside. We had the Fresh Bass on crusty Spinach Polenta. Excellent! Our guest had the steak tips, veggies & rice, also delicious. We had their Sangria which was not real sweet & had some nice pieces of fruit floating on top. Very good. Definitely will try it again, since every dish that passed by looked wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodPJDivaVIPDined on 2/16/2014Dinner was delicious. I had the sea bass on a risotto cake and my husband had the bouillabase. His son had the seafood stew. It was all delicious. It's noisy in the restaurant so don't expect a romantic time. We had to speak loudly to converse but the food was worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day massacreTditarantoDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I had reservations for dinner on Valentine's Day, after waiting for almost 45 minutes to be seated we were shown to a small table cramped in the corner. After sitting at our table for at least 10 minutes we were finally greeted. Our meals consisted of tough steak. With a small portion of rice, extremely disappointing experience overpriced would never recommend this place to someone I cared about.
- reservation for nothingDINEon211VIPDined on 2/11/2014although we made reservation, when we arrive, there was still no table, we had to wait another 30min so whats the point of making reservation?!I would recommend this to a friend.