Frere de Lys
1685 First Avenue
New York, NY 10128Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Frere de Lys
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.freredelysny.com/
- Phone: 6468612793
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am -5:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French American, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Cocktails, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Frere de Lys
Frere de Lys is a French restaurant, cocktail and wine bar, offering a rotating menu of small dishes, prepared with locally sourced, high quality ingredients. Long time dream of brothers, Thibaut and Alexis Piettre, veterans of the New York City restaurant business, Frere de Lys inherently represents a nod to their roots. Small versions of classic French dishes, including tartines, cheeses and charcuterie, complement a number of contemporary options, with seasonal, vegetarian, and gluten-free plates and desserts. Paying homage to the siblings’ Alsatian roots is the 50-bottle wine selection. Alsace is one of the top wine producing regions in the world, and the only region in France with mostly varietal wines. Frere de Lys embraces and incorporates this diversity by offering a broader international scope of wines from the United States, South America, Italy, and New Zealand. “New Yorkers are a tough and discerning crowd,” Alexis and Thibaut have said, “and we aim to please!”Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Frere de Lys reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (11)great for brunch (7)romantic (7)notable wine list (6)great for lunch (5)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)special occasion (1)good for groups (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Loved it!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/10/2014Loved the food, the service, even the background music!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place - I was expecting moreyvanDined on 10/7/2014The restaurant is very appealing with a menu that does not have much choice - this sounded great to me, as it meant less plates better prepared. The place was quite noisy despite being half empty. The service was nice and offered us to move to another table in the back of the restaurant. A few plates were not available but were replaced by great seasonal plates. For the entry I had a mushroom soup, which was good but a little bit fade. The tartare, I read many reviews praising it, was disappointing, as the meat did not look that fresh and appealing. So the overall experience was positive but not incredible, I was expecting more.Special Features:
- Good food, positive vibe .OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Brothers Thibault and Alex run a much needed neighborhood gem of a little restaurant. They combine solid, lite fare with killer cocktails and the friendliest, most energetic vibe I've seen in a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Foodie4lifeVIPDined on 10/4/2014Great food and the owner was super nice and made each table feel special!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable and satisfyingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/4/2014Decor, service, and food are simple, clean, and straightforward. Owners/hosts are friendly and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeighborhooddinerDined on 9/13/2014Was very disappointed. While the ambiance looks nice from outside, the floors are linoleum and the walls a bland green. The food was adequate; however, the first time the food came out, it was not cooked the way my friend and I had ordered it. All in all, it was disappointing as this neighborhood sorely needs some good restaurants.
- Great new French restaurantArlingtonVIPDined on 9/1/2014The fig salad was delicious as was the baked salmon. The service is excelent: friendly, professional and attentive. I will defintely go back and recommend it to neighbors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful French find!xoxoDined on 9/1/2014Delightful French restaurant with a style and neighborhood feel that makes it unique in NYC! The "frères" are charming, helpful and take very good care of their customers. The brunch plates are small and delicious and we particularly liked the fact that we could clearly hear each other at the table. Definitely recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Open at Time of ReservationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2014Made brunch reservation on OpenTable for 10:30am on Sunday. Arrived at restaurant (which advertises opening at 10am) to find the place completely closed. Not a very good first impression.
- Not greatUppereatssideVIPDined on 8/16/2014Fine, though overpriced meal. Felt like they we're operating a play restaurant though. Pick somewhere else for date night.
- Great neighborhood placePavZVIPDined on 8/2/2014Great food, personable service, very reasonable prices, good wine list all that you need for pleasant tasty mealSpecial Features:
- New Yorkville EateryUpperEastSiderVIPDined on 7/28/2014Great French restaurant. Food is excellent! Prices reasonable and food portions good. Owners friendly and helpful. A great addition to the neighborhood.Special Features:
- nylilliVIPDined on 7/27/2014Such a disappointment after hoping we were to have a decent French restaurant in the neighborhood. Busy for a Sunday evening, but a real turnoff were the flies streaming through the opened door. Mediocre food and service. And I had to return the next day to ask them to register my Open Table points.
- Remarkable !mczar15Dined on 7/25/2014Great addition to UES. Service was friendly and well executed. The staff wants you to have a great experience. Food was amazing and the drinks! Will definitely come back and also look forward to delivery. A must try!Special Features:
- Wish it was in my nabesmartyVIPDined on 7/24/2014A true neighborhood gem. The owners bend over backwards to please which is a nice change. Not your everyday wine list which was a treat with lots of interesting wines by the glass. Food is good not great but that wouldn't stop me from coming back. At an early hour they were out of one of our choices but we just moved on. Especially liked the asparagus salad. All in all, wish it was in my neighborhood. Reasonably priced and that included the wines. We will return as it is a nice place with good ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly FrenchDeensoVIPDined on 7/15/2014Warm and convivial greeting, pleasant (if slightly stark) atmosphere, most enjoyable meal and surprisingly reasonable prices! We're so happy to have this new French restaurant so close to home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like a home cooked mealDiningNYC2013Dined on 7/13/2014The food was very much like going over a friend's house and getting a home cooked meal, which was nice. Service was extremely friendly. May come back in the near future.Special Features:
- Charming Hosts and Fabulous DiningKSK10128VIPDined on 7/9/2014This place is going to get known, so drop by and make friends with the very charming hosts and hostesses NOW! They are incredibly warm and welcoming. And the food is very good (kudos on the salmon) and the wine list (while limited) is well thought. Food is served in the French fashion (slowly and with breaks in between dishes). Really enjoyed our time there.Special Features:
- French restaurantSunshineDined on 7/4/2014The main courses were very good. We had the lamb chops and the salmon. I did not care for the Cesar salad with shrimp. The shrimp were good although they were advertised as jumbo shrimp (not accurate at all) on top of a Cesaer salad. The lettuce in the Cesaer salad was wilted, not crunchy and the dressing tasted very commercial, not freshly made. For a $17 salad I expect more. My husband had the fig salad which. The owner was very friendly and gave us a complimentary drink which was extremely generous. The menu was also very limited.
- just newdonnymikeVIPDined on 7/3/2014first time there and it was excellent. spoke to one of the owners and he told of future plans. we definitely will go back!Special Features:
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2014Nice atmosphere and lovely service. Will go back for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, outstanding serviceblarghfooDined on 6/28/2014Came here for brunch, and we were impressed by both the charm and the service of this place. The iced coffee was tasty, and the smoked salmon eggs benedict was marvelous. I rarely write reviews, so that should tell you something! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- The following 0 reviews are from the Frere de Lys reviews archive.