French Quarter Cafe
unit 100 - 1005 Cougar Creek Dr
Canmore, AB T1W 1E1Neighborhood:
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: CAN$30 and under
French Quarter Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.frenchquartercafe.ca/
- Phone: 4036783612
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Tuesday - Saturday: 7:00am - 11:00am, Sunday: 8:00am - 12:00pm.
Lunch: Tuesday: 11:00am - 5:00pm. Wednesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 9:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm.
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm.
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Cajun, Creole
- Executive Chef: Michael Rasso
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Contact Michael for further details.
- Private Party Facilities: Book out the whole restaurant up to 60 people for your private function.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Rasso 4036783612
- Entertainment: Live Local Jazz every second Saturday, reservations recommended.
A word from French Quarter Cafe
The French Quarter Café in Canmore is a jazzy little bistro that's big on food inspired by the Deep South. Chef & Owner, Michael Raso loves cooking and is a regular visitor to New Orleans. He can't get enough of the ambiance, the music and the special Cajun and Creole food that is associated with The Big Easy. He always comes back to Canmore from these jaunts with fresh ideas, recipes and new menu options for his great little restaurant in the Rockies. If you are looking for excellent food that is a bit out of the ordinary in these parts, try The French Quarter Cafe in Canmore. While you're at it, say hello to the Chef ...Michael loves to talk about the food, the jazz, and his special spin on New Orleans-inspired recipes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
French Quarter Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (11)scenic view (7)fit for foodies (6)great for outdoor dining (5)special occasion (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (2)romantic (2)good for groups (2)Show More
- It is just okOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/29/2014Nothing special at this place, food and service so-so. Nothing compared to the places in NOLA, but then we are in Canmore. I think the place could use some improvements.
- DisappointedtsmaddogDined on 7/16/2014Dined at the French Quarter July 16th, was just disappointed. We ordered 2 salads and 2 Jambalaya's, the order was misinterpreted and we ended getting 1 salad and 1 Jambalaya, so we had to wait on the next order. The 1st order of Jambalaya was cold. Overall it tasted as if the food was a day old, not fresh tasting at all. We felt as if this restaurant was going out of business and they were getting rid of leftover food before they close the doors. The service was great, attentive, other than the order mix up.
- What happened?HoustonVIPDined on 7/4/2014This may have been the worse restaurant meal I've ever had. The fried oyster appetizer - the oysters were huge, the breading burned, and sitting on top of a smathering of cold salsa. The catfish, after much confused analysis, we believe had been frozen already breaded, and then when we arrived, removed from the freezer and plopped into boiling oil, resulting in catfish that was mushy and watery coated with a strange smelling breading that was thoroughly disgusting. The sides were sliced carrots and zucchini, asparagus and white sticky rice. None of the vegetables were fresh and in a Cajun restaurant you expect dirty rice. If this is the norm here, the chef/owner seems to have lost his passion for cooking.
- Suprisingly SpectacularHuffyDined on 6/27/2014We entered an empty restaurant and immediately we were hesitant to continue eith our dining experience. However, we were greeted by a remarkable and friendly server/hostess that ushered us in to a table with a great view overlooking the mountains. We ordered a number of appetizers to first see how the food would fare, again still he cautious. To our delight the apps were outstanding and we quickly ordered several entres. All the food was outstanding but we especially liked the Jambalaya, popcorn shrimp, pevan encrusted catfish and the kids meals were also well recieved. Overall, this was an outstanding dining expierence hidden away in a quiet neighborhood of Canmore that shouldnt be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Canmore SupriseGarycabDined on 5/31/2014We chose to visit the French Quarter on a Saturday afternoon after touring downtown. The FQ Restaurant was quiet and relaxing. The food was greatt and Chef Michael took the time to share the restaurants story and his wonderful food with us, super host!. My favorite was the oyster appetizer and the Burbon Street Sampler, my wife had the chicken, both great. The Bread Pudding with Wiskey sauce was a perfect way to top off a fun and reasonable dining experience. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Excellent FindLG6942Dined on 5/28/2014Although not in the centre of Canmore, this is a great place to try. The owner-operator is friendly and understand humour. He also catered to both the vegetarian and non-vegetarian. Great food.Special Features:
- The following 77 reviews are from the French Quarter Cafe reviews archive.
- We were alone in the restaurantoutandaboutVIPDined on 5/3/2014The place seemed cozy and set up was nice nice but it was empty on a Saturday. My guest and I felt a little awkward because we had the whole place to ourselves for dinner. It was snowing so they said they had cancellations.. but no one walked in the whole time we were there. The food was good, so that's something.
- not New Orleans but still very goodNickDVIPDined on 3/15/2014We had just come back from a trip to New Orleans where we were treated to some excellent NOLA cuisine and wanted to see how the French Quarter did in replicating the tastes. The answer is that it did a fine job. Obviously, Canmore doesn't have access to the ingredients the way the restaurants in NO do but having said that, the shrimp creole that I had at the French Quarter was as good as any I had. The crab cakes were nicely done and the Louisiana style oysters were crispy on the outsida and nice and moist inside. All in all a very good meal that we all enjoyed; we'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly AtmosphereKrinkleBugDined on 2/15/2014Made a reservation online for a Saturday night although it probably wasn't necessary. The atmosphere is friendly and reasonably casual. The service was great, our waiter was very helpful and personable. The menu was a great take on Bourbon Street and there would good options. I had pecan encrusted shrimp for my entree and Southern Fried Chicken as a main. I found the food to be good quality and would compare it to a good home cooked meal. The homemade ice cream and creme brûlée were very good. An overall good experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Quarter FailFielderfoodinistaDined on 2/14/2014This restaurant lacks all that a local hot spot should be. I will be strait to the point on this review...It was 10 min before a server of any kind greeted us or offered to take our beverage order.The first item we ordered (a bottle of San Pelligrino) they did not have. A review of the wine list had me almost fall off my chair when I saw a bottle of Little Penguin for $38.00! lol. To even list The Little Penguin on your wine list should have been a warning sign. Our meal itself took just over 2.5 hrs to arrive. The food overall was bland and lacked care. The jambalaya specifically was very disappointing. Overall I will never be returning to this establishment, nor will I be recommending it to any others. (F-) for The French Quarter Cafe.Special Features:
- Unhappy Valentine's DinnerFrequentDinerDined on 2/14/2014It was obvious the restaurant had overbooked big time.. We waited over 20 minutes for beverage service and an hour for our appetizer, which was just okay. We then waited a further hour for our main courses which were poor. Steak was overdone, vegetables were cold, jambalaya was so spicy it was uneatable. When we mentioned our disappointment to our server she gave us the chef/owner's card and suggested we call him. Since we had to sit beside the open kitchen area for dinner we chose to let the chef/owner know as we'd been watching him all night .. When we tried to engage he didn't make eye contact and shrugged his shoulders when we told him we were unhappy. Definitely would NOT return. Period. PS our clothes smelled of cooking odour!
- Always outstandingcoralbutterflyDined on 2/14/2014We choose the 3 course valentines day special for 41.99 each (which includes 5 items plus coffee/tea) and couldn't be happier. The wild mushroom tart with shaved fennel was perfect in size, texture and flavour (and I do not like mushrooms), the crawfish bisque was amazing with large chunks of crawfish. We ten had the scallop salad with three large scallops that melted like butter in your mouth with a honey citrus dressing. My main was a 1/2 pork tenderloin with a cranberry orange glaze, herbed mashed potatoes, and lots of grilled vegetables, the pork was super tender and had a nice mellow flavour. We finished with a molten chocolate cake with whipped cream light as clouds and mini cheesecakes that were rich and flavourful. Thanks again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying Something NewSarahDined on 1/25/2014I have been meaning to go there for some time, I've always wanted to try Cajun style food. It was my birthday so I wanted something special and within walking distance. It was great not to be rushed through the courses, cos you shouldn't rush good food. My overall experience was very pleasant. Good food, polite well informed staff, a place well worth a re visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Louisiana cuisine,MemanDined on 1/18/2014Authentic Louisiana cuisine, the best in southern Alberta from Calgary to Banff. Chef's impromptu creations are also delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not amazing, but pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/29/2013There were 6 of us and we had a good uninterrupted visit over the all day breakfast menu. The food was just fine, but not amazing.and the space is comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1000 pt disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/27/2013After driving in from out of town for a good meal we chose this cafe. New waitress was very inexperienced needed basic training from owner, it took 15 mins to get water and another 15 to get a glass of wine. Food was poorly prepared with raw rice on my plate and a relish made only of lemon rinds on the dry fish. We sent the fish back only to get another dry piece. Too bad a touch of New Orleans would be good in Canmore.
- Always excellentCanmoreregularDined on 11/30/2013I hate to give such a great review as I fear not getting a reservation next time as they could be too full. Service is beyond excellent and relaxed, you are encouraged to sit and relax and enjoy coffee after your meal. Everything we have tried has been excellent but whatever you do make sure to save room for the bread pudding, it is amazing (as is the home made cheesecake). Make sure you reserve and the live jazz they have on occasion is a welcome treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Cajun/Creole Spot in Canmorecherie0303VIPDined on 10/23/2013We went as a group of five (three kids), service was friendly and attentive and food was enjoyed by everyone in the group. We had a vegetarian at our table, and while there was no specific vegetarian dish on the menu, chef Michael Raso was quick to accommodate, which was nice. Reasonably priced wines. Nice, casual and comfortable ambience. I would recommend the crab cakes and sweet potato chicken, as well as the cajun jambalaya, and I've had the seafood gumbo before and it is delicious. Desserts are a standout here as well. We ordered 4 separate desserts and all were outstanding - my favourite being the pecan pie. There are gluten free options, including for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experience. Food wasmasslandDined on 10/5/2013Awesome experience. Food was amazing especially the scallops and crab cakes - wow! And I would go a long way tp be able to have the bread puddibg again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely place for dinnerteenie93Dined on 10/4/2013We went to the French Quarter cafe because we know of the owner from years ago. The food was amazing. The restaurant wasn't very busy as it was in off season that we went but the food was served quickly. Everything was amazing but the rice wasn't great. I had the blackened Red Snapper. Everything was perfect but the rice seemed old and had absolutely no flavor, no butter. Needs to be simple to be paired with spicy fish but it was a little too simple. Other than that, the service was great, the food was great, and dessert was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So that's a catfish?PriusDined on 10/2/2013Catfish was delightful surprise, delicate and nicely done although rather mild in flavor. Husband's southern chicken could have been the chicken tenders simply standing upright in the mound of buttery garlic mashed potatoes. Vegetable sides of zucchini and carrots left lots to be desired. Nice food overall in a freezing restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was Fantastic!IzzyDined on 9/28/2013We have been many time to the French Quarter Cafe. It's atmosphere is great for small groups and intimate dining. The food is well prepared with a great taste. We were a party of six and everyone was impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminicent of New OrleansAbuelalynDined on 9/14/2013We enjoyed a delicious dinner in a charming space with jazz playing in the background. Excellent service with the server having great knowledge of the menu. The pecan encrusted cat fish and Jambalaya were our choices and proved to be very good. The menu is varied and a special was offered. Give it a try! You won't be sorry.Special Features:
- food was ok, service was passable.HusbandandwifeDined on 8/3/2013food was ok, service was passable. seats are very hard and with the waiting for the food long and drawn out made for a long night.Special Features:
- YOU GOTTA TRY ITFoodieDined on 8/2/2013We love Cajain food so we wanted to try this place. The food was cooked perfectly with just the right amount of flavours. The cheif knows what he is doing. We arrived at the same time as a bus tour so it was busy. Yet, our server was friendly and personable. The best part of the meal was the bread pudding in a whiskey sauce with home made ice cream. Yummy! We willl be back... for more bread pudding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- False expectationsAwesomeVIPDined on 7/12/2013After reading the reviews we thought we were in for a good meal. I'll just leave it at that. Will not return.
- Once AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/4/2013We have never beenable to find fault with a meal at the French Quarter. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticYumyyumDined on 5/31/2013This place is a 10/10! Wonderful date night option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual eleganceTigerhouseTeamVIPDined on 5/18/2013Simple decor lends well to the rustic well prepared meals. The blackened seasoning was tasty and not overly spicy - so try it. The nutty crusting on the catfish was also wonderful. Nice light dish - not spicy at all - served with steamed veggies and rice. The Chef cooks in an open-concept style at the front counter -- great to see there are no 'secrets' --except in the spice rub. (love to know what's in there!) Casual place just off a residential main drag, into a quasi-commercial zone - might be hard to spot for some - we drove right past it -- also, update your GPS maps or plug in the address yourself, as the dining app we have on our Garmin had us go to their old location several blocks away. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Po boyPoboyDined on 5/12/2013Such amazing po boy sandwiches! Great authentic new Orleans food!Special Features:
- French Quarter Cafe?NotPleasedDined on 5/12/2013The restaurant was not busy, but still took 20 minutes just for our drinks and almost an hour to be served our meals . No offer for refills, even for coffee. Will not be going back.
- The music was loud the foodJohnnyVIPDined on 5/11/2013The music was loud the food ordinary the service slow. SHowed up early for a reservation and decided to sit on Patio from predinner drinks. Waited so long that I decided to go next door to the liquorstore to buy beer. My party texted me that the server finally came while i was at the liquorstore. The patio needs some work. Mostly cleaning. The trim, windows and dooors needs some cleaning. i shouldn't be looking up at dust and grime while trying to enjoy a beer that took 30 mins to come. Was really looking forward to dinner. So disapointed. Coconut shrimp appetizer was so greasy and flavourless. Blackened Snapper overdone and rubbery. The Beef Neptune was wonederful to be fair.Special Features:
- The food and service was fantastic!IzzyDined on 3/9/2013The food and service was fantastic! We happen to go on a night when there was entertainment and it was fantastic. The Jazz trio was very good and it added to the atmosphere.Special Features:
- We always enjoy our meal atOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2013We always enjoy our meal at French Quarter. The crab cakes are the best anywhere.Special Features:
- Great place for a relaxingAngieTDined on 3/2/2013Great place for a relaxing breakfast that's not too expensive. Great food. Love the jazz music as well.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner, esp. the chef'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/16/2013Lovely dinner, esp. the chef's specials, hit and miss service (first server was an idiot with food on her face, the one that took over was very good indeed).Special Features:
- Fabulous Valentine's Day offerings.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Fabulous Valentine's Day offerings. Well prepared food and very attentive service. Wines list was interesting and very reasonable.Special Features:
- the food is spectacular, theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/12/2013the food is spectacular, the service great, it's a terrific place to eat and enjoy a great night out.Special Features:
- Cozy, friendly place.VeniceVIPDined on 1/4/2013We had dinner on a Friday evening. Nice, warming food in a cozy environment. The server was friendly and casual but very professional. The food creole shrimp and jambalaya) was nice but not amazing in our humble opinion. Having said that, many of our neighbours love the food here so perhaps it is just our individual tastes.Special Features:
- New Years EveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Service was fantastic. Music was excellent. Food was good, but for $75 per person, there was nothing extraordinary.Special Features: