French Meadow Cafe & Bluestem Bar
2610 Lyndale Ave. S
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
French Meadow Cafe & Bluestem Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bluestembarandtable.com/
- Phone: 6128707855
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 8:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Executive Chef: George Lohr
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from French Meadow Cafe & Bluestem Bar
Extended patio now open! We are an urban watering hole where carnivores, vegans, & vegetarians can free range together serving wine with a conscience, 16 local craft taps, artisan & organic food pairings. We offer a range of innovative dessert & pastry items that are traditional, gluten free, & vegan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
French Meadow Cafe & Bluestem Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (42)great for brunch (27)great for outdoor dining (26)great for lunch (25)romantic (21)good for groups (20)special occasion (18)kid-friendly (15)notable wine list (8)late-night find (6)hot spot (5)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- BEST brunch menurchrisVIPDined on 9/14/2014About 30 "breakfast" items on the menu! Noise level however very high when crowded plus they add background music that makes it worse.Special Features:
- Lovely Brunch ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Making reservations for a brunch time on Saturday was easy and, despite the fact that there was a line out the door when we arrived, our table was promptly ready and waiting for us. The Blue Stem bar was lively but we were able to carry on a conversation without having to raise our voices and were seated comfortably in a round booth. We enjoyed our server who had a relaxed manner and all of our dishes were prepared beautifully. The wait time for food was about as long as it typically takes at other busy or upscale restaurants, and we enjoyed having a little extra time to talk. Overall, we enjoyed the food and experience at French Meadow in Minneapolis and would recommend to any group looking for a unique brunch.Special Features:
- Something for all appetitesAfoodiesincebirthVIPDined on 9/9/2014One of us was hungry, the other not so much. We both left satisfied. The caramelized brussels sprouts in particular were delicious--perfect for a late summer day that felt like fall.Special Features:
- fun place to celebratesherlockDined on 8/30/2014We had guests in from out-of-town who appreciate good food and look for vegetarian/local food options. This was a perfect fit. Wait staff was prompt, courteous and attentive. Only negative was that the background music (not live) was so loud as to make conversation a bit challenging. We asked that it be adjusted, and it was some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Outdoor Spacecls2013VIPDined on 8/30/2014We very much enjoyed our experience at French Meadow/Bluestem. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BettyDined on 8/29/2014The beet salad was outstanding, the duck was good. The mussels where tasty, however, just to salty. Overall, it was a good experience.Special Features:
- Always great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014If your with a big group I definitely recommend getting reservations at Bluestem. Same menu as French Meadow, but you are guaranteed a table when you want to. French Meadow is order at the counter and seat yourself; can get very busy especially at peak breakfast/brunch time. Great food though, especially for people with food allergies/intollerances.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doesn't disapointOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Great flavors. good portions, solid service. great bar and fantastic for dietary restrictions. This place is a consistent joy to visit.Special Features:
- What a night!scrbevDined on 8/21/2014My family and I had a wonderful dinner together here. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Service was great. I loved that I could go on line and make the reservation. see the menu for ingredients and prices. My daughter-in-law is allergic to all grains, and it was great to know that she could get grass feed meats, and many dishes without any grains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food-and organic tooready4dinnerVIPDined on 8/17/2014Great menu and reasonable prices. Everything we had was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but slow service.MichaelDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I ate here for brunch. The food was absolutely delicious, but we sat for 20 minutes before talking to a waitor, and another 20 minutes before getting our drink order in. I finished my Blood Mary during the next hour that we waited for our meals. The ambience was unexpectedly loud. The waitress did apologize for the delay after she gave me the check. I will say that the food was absolutely scrumptious. I had Crab Cakes Benedict, a bagel with cream cheese and side of hash browns. However, there are so many choices for food with better atmosphere and service that we are unlikely to come back except in the hope that the kitchen was having an off day. There was a large take out line and I wonder if that delayed our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Meadow usually a favoriteFrMeadowregularDined on 8/16/2014We eat here a couple of times per month. It is our first choice for a nice dinner in the neighborhood The food is always excellent but the service is spotty. The waitstaff has very high turnover and when you get someone new the evening can be torturous. I wish this restaurant would focus on retaining wait staff and training the new ones for a longer time before they set them loose. Our waiter was not familiar with the menu, mixed up our order, and didn't even give us plates for appetizers. She needed lots of help. I don't think she has ever waited tables before.Special Features:
- Oh no!UrbandinerVIPDined on 8/15/2014This has always been my go to restaurant, but my last visits have me worried. We haven't been allowed to sit in the main dining room either time as they are "short staffed". The time before we had to ask for the bread basket, it was smaller and none of their fabulous crackers. This time they were out of bread, it's a BAKERY! I got my Niçoise salad without any potatoes. I brought this up to the server, and she said they were out of potatoes also! I unfortunately think this is a case of French Meadow over extending themselves with new business enterprises. I am sad.Special Features:
- Fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014I had been here many times before but was having a group get together to celebrate my birthday chose French Meadow because of proximity to my home and because I knew their food to be well done. My entire table LOVED their dishes. Most hadn't been there before and raved about their choices, the decor and the experience. The waitress was super friendly and even gave us a head's up that the kitchen was super busy and therefore, our orders might take awhile (I LOVE it when places say that up front instead of making excuses when the food isn't out 'on time'). I have loved this place and will definitely continue to go back.Special Features:
- LilyDined on 7/27/2014All was lovely except that the sweet potato Gnocchi was dry and very unappealing. Gnocchi is really hard to make as it is often dry, like this was, or slimy due to too much or too little flour, potatoes, kneading, etc. Making Ggocchi is truly an art and this time they missed the mark. The Shrimp and grits were wonderful - almost like soft polenta. Yum. The seafood paella was fabulous and the fried chicken and waffles were so delightful I could have eaten another plateful........................if I wasn't so stuffed. Portions were very generous and presentation was beautiful, even for the ill-fated gnocchi. I look forward to bringing friends and relatives to this delicious restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fondafoodDined on 7/26/2014We ate at the outdoor area and although it was a bit noisy because of the traffic, it was pleasant, nonetheless. I had the Apple Bleu Salad, which was very good and the Butternut Squash Ravioli, which was EXCELLENT - one of the best pasta dishes I've ever had! Although I don't recall what my friend ordered, she did remark that the food was wonderful. Our server was very pleasant and attentive. All in all, a perfect dinner experience. We both look forward to dining there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday nightliketwodineoutVIPDined on 7/25/2014We have been eating at French Meadow for 15 years and have always found the food to be excellent. Friday was a different experience. I ordered the fish tacos which I have ordered many times. I hardly recognized them. They had very little fish or taste and the tortillas were soggy. The house salad was limp and warm sitting in the bowl next next to the tacos. Very disappointing. My husband had the steak sandwich which he said was very good.Special Features:
- AngelaDined on 7/23/2014French Meadow is my favorite restaurant in the Twin Cities. First, the food is outstanding and, equally important, it is sourced with care. Animal products come from local, small-scale organic farms that treat animals and the environment well. Great vegetarian/vegan options for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert! I have ordered the vegan special on several occasions and it was excellent each time. This restaurant is ahead of the curve in the Twin Cities and I hope others will follow their exemplary model.Special Features:
- French Meadow reviewgood4friendsDined on 7/20/2014Their menu has a very nice variety of choices. The prices are a bit high seeing that most items are ala carte. The patio on the side is very nice. Wait service was good.Special Features:
- DisappointedVegDinerDined on 7/19/2014Appetizers were great. But the organic tempeh cutlet dinner was bland, overcooked and poorly presented. Don't bother with reservations; the reserved dining area was small and noisy; the open seating area in the front of the restaurant has a much more appealing ambiance.Special Features:
- DeliciousAudyGodwechDined on 7/19/2014Wanted to show off the great uptown to my friends visiting, they loved this place and the food! I had the cajun hashbrowns that I split with a friend who ordered the Belgian waffle, perfect combo!Special Features:
- lovely brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/5/2014bluestem makes all the deliciousness of frenchmeadow available with a waiter .... I love the French meadow but hate the line.. now I can sit down and order great food.. I wish it was a little more bustling.. and the service could be a little more crisp.. but the food was great.. and it was wonderful to have a reservation and not have to wait or fight for a table....Special Features:
- Where'd she go?LindsayDined on 6/21/2014This was my first time to French Meadow since the revamp. The space inside is beautiful. The seating outside is tucked back in a corner enough that you don't hear the Lyndale traffic. Our waitress was ok at the beginning but then she disappeared for at least 20 minutes. My burger had interesting ingredients (St Pete's bleu, red onion marmalade) but the flavors were really strong. The highlights were the cocktails (pricy but tasty), the fries and the aioli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Locally grown, lovingly preparedDeeLishDined on 6/15/2014The food is obviously locally grown - absolutely delicious, creatively flavoured and beautifully presented. Coffee was a little weak but the desserts made up for that. We had several servers which was a little confusing but they were all very friendly. Even servers who weren't responsible for us made eye contact and smiled when we walked through the restaurant. The TV above the bar was a little jarring - the restaurant has a rustic yet sophisticated feel to it and the TV seemed out of place. Next time we'll sit somewhere where we can't see the TV; it's a creatively laid out restaurant with a variety of seating options. We'll definitely eat there again, as there are many vegetarian items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night outGoodfoodDined on 6/13/2014Couldn't have picked a better place for a reunion with some high school friends. Servers were friendly and accommodating. Food was delicious and the ambiance was perfect for good conversation. It wasn't too noisy and it wasn't too quiet- a good balance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location was perfect.KathyDined on 6/13/2014The food was very good, the outdoor patio was very relaxing but the service was averageSpecial Features:
- Short of expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/7/2014Our waiter helped us select our dinner, and among three choices that sounded good, he recommended pad Thai. Unfortunately, the dish did not deliver. The sauce was much too thick and we all felt we had better pad Thai at the Big Bowl. My son ordered something different, but he too could not finish his pasta dish because the sauce was like paste. Very disappointed.
- An energetic spottable4twoDined on 5/31/2014We had a late dinner here on a trip to Minneapolis. We sat in the Bluestem Bar area which is a separate room from the French Meadow Cafe. Food and service were very good and the place had a very energetic atmosphere. We saw 2 tables request to have a table in the cafe area instead, but we liked the high tables in the Bluestem better- there are also booths around the perimeter. We would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 57 reviews are from the French Meadow Cafe & Bluestem Bar reviews archive.
- lovelykjsnackDined on 5/31/2014Great ambience and wonderful food with many flavors but great for any pallete. Really great service and whimsical decorSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Graduation DinnerKdobs09Dined on 5/17/2014We were so pleased with our evening at French Meadow Cafe & Bluestem Bar! We had to wait 20 minutes after our reservation, but it was well worth it! We were seated in the lovely detached tasting room with just one other table! It was beyond our expectations and we had a great time meeting the darling owner who was eating next to us! We will most definitely be returning for future family and friends' celebrations!Special Features:
- Great for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/8/2014Been to Bluestem 4 times now, that in itself is a vote of confidence! Like it a lot more for dinner than lunch. Lunch was basically just the original French Meadow listings, but with tap beer. Dinner, however, has a really great assortment - good apps, good sandwiches, great entrees like chicken & waffles and tempeh options. This last visit they had a new cocktail program and we particularly loved the meta-hattan. Great vibe too, fits Lyndale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great option!JerseyRegVIPDined on 4/12/2014Love the space and the food was great. Looking forward to the full bar option coming soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - tepid serviceDaisyVIPDined on 4/5/2014Really good food, and a lovely room - huge bar, nice roomy booths big enough for 4. All food choices were very tasty - chicken and waffles might be better elsewhere, but all other items were delicious. Nice selection of tap beers, wine by the glass, carafe and bottle. With the creeping price of wine by the glass, having the choice of a little more in a carafe is helpful to the wallet. Service was very lukewarm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!HappycamperDined on 3/26/2014We recently went to Bluestem with a group of 6 people and had a great experience! The atmosphere was great and the food was even better! I would highly recommend the wild acres turkey burger topped with homemade guacamole and bacon as well as the fish tacos. Their menu features a lot of fresh local ingredients and they get a lot of their meat from local farms. This place is also a great place to go with a friend or significant other and belly up to the bar for dinner. They always have fun new beer specials and the bartenders are very friendly! Love this new neighborhood gem by French Meadow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm atmosphereVeggingoutDined on 3/24/2014The food was great and service attentive. The server kept my water glass refilled without being asked which always scores big points with me. The decor is warm and inviting. The music was too loud for conversation, though. I asked the server if it could be turned down. He said he would ask, but I didn't notice any change. I was there with friends from California whom I rarely see, so conversation was especially important. Do restaurants really expect diners to just sit and look at one another? It should be background music, not the main feature.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently solidwilliwawspaDined on 3/22/2014Food was above average. Site enjoyable. Staff competent. Seared scallops were the best thing to come to the table with shrimp and grits and fried chicken on a waffle that were both satisfying. An appropriate place for an anniversary, wouldn't be surprised if we end up there next year as well ( my wife's favorite spot). Having a full bar will be a significant addition..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't Ask For Anything MorefindyourgrooveDined on 3/22/2014Bluestem has the perfect balance of great food and tasteful options. We normally go there for brunch but tried the dinner menu for the first time. We were not disappointed. Everything down to the house dressing on the side salad was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Liked the ambiance, good foodMIchelleDined on 3/22/2014Nice variety of white flights; I told our server I like pinot grigios, and she suggested the Spanish whites, which for $12 provided a good taste of 3 wines, which I liked. I had the blackened fish (tilapia) tacos, which were good and came with a small side salad in a yummy dressing. My dining companion had the turkey risotto, which seemed kind of heavy. The dried cranberries were a needed sweet contrast to the meet and risotto, but he thought it needed a vegetable on the side or on top. (I ate the leftovers, and I thought it was pretty good.) We liked the atmosphere and the bar area. There is a more private back area which could be good for a group or small event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan gourmet treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/14/2014My daughter is going to Japan for 4 months and wanted to go somewhere that had good beer and vegan food. Everything was excellent. The tofu, potato, Brussel sprout special was divine! My boyfriend enjoyed the beer flight and I enjoyed the white wine. This place is at the top of our favorite places in the Twin Cities!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was awful, food was greatHarrietDined on 3/11/2014The lesson here is to stick with French Meadow for breakfast and lunch. Bluestem - the evening version - can't seem to handle the service aspect. The food was great, the bartender was great, but the server was mostly absent and unhelpful.Special Features: