French Meadow Cafe & Bluestem Bar
2610 Lyndale Ave. S
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
French Meadow Cafe & Bluestem Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://bluestembarandtable.com/
- Phone: (612) 870-7855
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Thursday: 6:30am - 2:00pm
Breakfast: Friday- Sunday: 6:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Executive Chef: George Lohr
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from French Meadow Cafe & Bluestem Bar
Extended patio now open! We are an urban watering hole where carnivores, vegans, & vegetarians can free range together serving wine with a conscience, 16 local craft taps, artisan & organic food pairings. We offer a range of innovative dessert & pastry items that are traditional, gluten free, & vegan.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
French Meadow Cafe & Bluestem Bar - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
French Meadow Cafe & Bluestem Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)fit for foodies (48)great for brunch (29)special occasion (24)good for groups (23)great for lunch (23)romantic (18)great for outdoor dining (15)notable wine list (12)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (8)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great for a VeganstaceyVIPDined on 11/17/2014The food is amazing here and if you are health conscious, it's not difficult to find MANY different options on the menu. Great place and next time I'm going through Minneapolis, I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blue StemMPLSdinerDined on 11/16/2014Food was good as expected. Service was fine. Music level/volume was off the charts - totally unacceptable. Our party of 5 could not hear each other across the table. We will not return for that reason. It was extremely irritating and not conducive to a relaxing Sunday morning brunch. We requested that the music be turned down and it was not. We like music and are not old fogies but it was not a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014The green curry was a snooze. Seemed like a random mix of vegetables and the sauce wasn't complex enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoyJoyDined on 11/8/2014French Meadow is a wonderful restaurant. Delicious local, sustainable foods and a great wine list. Ambiance+delightful service+great food=Fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy and beautifulSeekingreensDined on 10/27/2014In my experience it's challenging to find great dining with salad offerings that are large enough to satisfy my desire for lots of greens. After a hiatus from French Meadow for a long while because I thought they took my old favorite (a large Ceasar, over-the-counter) off the menu, I returned to celebrate my birthday. It was a wonderful surprise to be able to order a fancy, delicious sandwich, AND a side salad that was in fact quite large. The new ambiance (in the Blue Stem area), with curvy booths, was also a happy surprise. Just how lovely and beautiful it was, made me intend to return. The only improvement I'd like is even less noise and sound in the room. It's a priority to me to be able to talk and listen with voices easily audible.Special Features:
- French Meadow Cafe - MinneapolisDiningMPLSfromDSMDined on 10/25/2014The brunch menu was enticing with so many items that I want to go back and try more. Tough to make a choice. I ate like I hadn't eaten in a month! Everything was absolutely delicious. Loved the cinnamon roll, the breakfast croissant, the hashbrowns were perfect, the hot chocolate incredible, and the yogurt/granola/fruit parfait yummy. Atmoshphere was warm and attractive. Our waiter was attentive and fun. We really enjoyed our first experience at French Meadow!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Up to ParSlatsVIPDined on 10/24/2014Menu on OpenTable is not updated so the meal I wanted to order is no longer available. Same for the wine. Prices on wine have increased and they don't even provide a vintage for the bottles they do have. Our meals came while we were eating our appetizers and the mussel shells sat on the table while we ate our dinner. We always enjoyed French Meadow but it seems to be going downhill.
- Nice brunch spotTeamRachelDined on 10/18/2014Several reviews complain about giving your order at the counter and then having to find a seat. The Cafe has finessed this by having table service at the attached Bluestem Cafe. We had a booth and a great conversation, excellent service and very good food. Only disappointment was that the tomatoes in the special omelette were canned. Perhaps they have trouble getting organic fresh tomatoes, but it was mid October, and I would have thought they could still be had at the Farmers' Market. If not, why have them in the omelette? Use red peppers instead.Special Features:
- French Meadow on Friday 10/17psonnen33Dined on 10/17/2014We have been to French Meadow a few times and it is always good food and service. This is our first visit since they expanded. The new bar area is very comfortable and energetic. We try something new every visit. Food is good here but not spectacular but it is a good value. We ordered an appetizer that we did not get served. Service was very fast and we had plenty of food so we did not ask for it and it was not on our bill. They have some unique cocktails on their menu - the one I tried was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place.nicknameDined on 10/17/2014Blue Stem is the best combination of healthy, delicious, and has awesome portion sizes that actually fill you up. Dishes I've tried and loved so far: curry with chicken, the zen salad (maybe the best salad ever. not a wimpy salad), and I asked for the steak sandwich in a salad from with saurkraut it was so good. Love the atmosphere. Super cute, not too loud, not to quiet. Perfect for dates, family dinners, girls nights.Special Features:
- Will be backthatsemmsDined on 10/11/2014Group of 4 went for brunch on a Sunday morning. Quiche was pretty good. Egg benny can be better. Love the organic coffee. You can order from their bakery if you want.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- weekday lunchExplorer59Dined on 10/9/2014A good place for week day lunch. Not as crowded as during weekends. They also have a decent selection of glutin free food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect setting for usBubblesDined on 10/6/2014We were a small group of 5 and I was happy when we were seated at a round table with banquette seating. My vegan niece cleaned up her veggie burger. My husband is still raving about the duck although the trout had been his first choice; they didn't have trout that evening. 😟. My steak sandwich was good enough, but I think I'll have the walleye next time. The gin and tonic was weak and I should have said something. I am eager to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/4/2014Bluestem Bar and Table is vegetarian/vegan friendly. Several good options for meat-free dining on all parts of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow But Pretty GoodhgdinerVIPDined on 9/28/2014We've been to the French Meadow many times but this was the first time in the full-service restaurant and, I believe, the first time for dinner. My conclusion is that it's a better breakfast, brunch, lunch restaurant than dinner restaurant. The menu is a little contrived (although, of course, it's all about healthy and vegetarian offerings which they do quite well), the food was solid but not outstanding and the service was incredibly slow. Our server did a fine job and they did acknowledge the slow service by buying us dessert but we would have preferred simply having our food served in a more timely way - especially since we had salads, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014We went here for our anniversary and picked it because it was highly rated, it had several gluten free selections and outdoor seating. The waitress acted uninterested and dismissive. My husband really liked the "rachel" sandwich. I got chicken and it was tough, but edible. Great ambiance. Prices average. I might go again someday, but wouldn't rush back.
- Not what it use to beOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014We hadn't been to the French Meadow in a while & I must say it's not anything like what it use to be. The food was really disappointing. With the cheese plate being ok however we both had sandwiches & they were very mediocre at best. Although we had reservations & it was not very busy, they sat us way in the back where the serious was horrendous. All in all I would not run back here in that both the food & service was not good.
- UnderstaffedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014My server was exceptional, despite how clearly understaffed the restaurant was. The bartender, which I understood to also be very overworked, however, did not provide the quality of service my server later provided that I would have expected. I was having a drinking waiting for my table to be cleared and for my friend to join me. Not only did it take the bartender 25 minutes to ask me if I wanted anything to drink, he was flat and not very personable or interested in trying to meet my needs (to order 1 drink).Special Features:
- FunFavoriteVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food here is really good, not over priced and fun for a relaxed meal. I have been there for lunch and dinner. Also love the gluten free options especially for desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST brunch menurchrisVIPDined on 9/14/2014About 30 "breakfast" items on the menu! Noise level however very high when crowded plus they add background music that makes it worse.Special Features:
- Lovely Brunch ExperienceRomapuDined on 9/13/2014Making reservations for a brunch time on Saturday was easy and, despite the fact that there was a line out the door when we arrived, our table was promptly ready and waiting for us. The Blue Stem bar was lively but we were able to carry on a conversation without having to raise our voices and were seated comfortably in a round booth. We enjoyed our server who had a relaxed manner and all of our dishes were prepared beautifully. The wait time for food was about as long as it typically takes at other busy or upscale restaurants, and we enjoyed having a little extra time to talk. Overall, we enjoyed the food and experience at French Meadow in Minneapolis and would recommend to any group looking for a unique brunch.Special Features:
- Something for all appetitesAfoodiesincebirthVIPDined on 9/9/2014One of us was hungry, the other not so much. We both left satisfied. The caramelized brussels sprouts in particular were delicious--perfect for a late summer day that felt like fall.Special Features:
- Success with a difficult groupScientistDined on 8/31/2014Just celebrated my nieces birthday at brunch yesterday. I had called to increase size of reservation to 11 from the 8 I booked on Open Table. Of course, no record of the change - but they quickly came up with a game plan. Very helpful. Wonderful food. And a very private large table behind the wine bottles. Hostess, wait person, rest of staff were amazing. Thanks for putting up with us and making the birthday special.Special Features:
- fun place to celebratesherlockDined on 8/30/2014We had guests in from out-of-town who appreciate good food and look for vegetarian/local food options. This was a perfect fit. Wait staff was prompt, courteous and attentive. Only negative was that the background music (not live) was so loud as to make conversation a bit challenging. We asked that it be adjusted, and it was some.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Outdoor Spacecls2013VIPDined on 8/30/2014We very much enjoyed our experience at French Meadow/Bluestem. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BettyDined on 8/29/2014The beet salad was outstanding, the duck was good. The mussels where tasty, however, just to salty. Overall, it was a good experience.Special Features:
- Always great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014If your with a big group I definitely recommend getting reservations at Bluestem. Same menu as French Meadow, but you are guaranteed a table when you want to. French Meadow is order at the counter and seat yourself; can get very busy especially at peak breakfast/brunch time. Great food though, especially for people with food allergies/intollerances.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doesn't disapointOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/23/2014Great flavors. good portions, solid service. great bar and fantastic for dietary restrictions. This place is a consistent joy to visit.Special Features:
- What a night!scrbevDined on 8/21/2014My family and I had a wonderful dinner together here. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Service was great. I loved that I could go on line and make the reservation. see the menu for ingredients and prices. My daughter-in-law is allergic to all grains, and it was great to know that she could get grass feed meats, and many dishes without any grains.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food-and organic tooready4dinnerVIPDined on 8/17/2014Great menu and reasonable prices. Everything we had was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but slow service.MichaelDined on 8/17/2014My wife and I ate here for brunch. The food was absolutely delicious, but we sat for 20 minutes before talking to a waitor, and another 20 minutes before getting our drink order in. I finished my Blood Mary during the next hour that we waited for our meals. The ambience was unexpectedly loud. The waitress did apologize for the delay after she gave me the check. I will say that the food was absolutely scrumptious. I had Crab Cakes Benedict, a bagel with cream cheese and side of hash browns. However, there are so many choices for food with better atmosphere and service that we are unlikely to come back except in the hope that the kitchen was having an off day. There was a large take out line and I wonder if that delayed our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Meadow usually a favoriteFrMeadowregularDined on 8/16/2014We eat here a couple of times per month. It is our first choice for a nice dinner in the neighborhood The food is always excellent but the service is spotty. The waitstaff has very high turnover and when you get someone new the evening can be torturous. I wish this restaurant would focus on retaining wait staff and training the new ones for a longer time before they set them loose. Our waiter was not familiar with the menu, mixed up our order, and didn't even give us plates for appetizers. She needed lots of help. I don't think she has ever waited tables before.Special Features:
- Oh no!UrbandinerVIPDined on 8/15/2014This has always been my go to restaurant, but my last visits have me worried. We haven't been allowed to sit in the main dining room either time as they are "short staffed". The time before we had to ask for the bread basket, it was smaller and none of their fabulous crackers. This time they were out of bread, it's a BAKERY! I got my Niçoise salad without any potatoes. I brought this up to the server, and she said they were out of potatoes also! I unfortunately think this is a case of French Meadow over extending themselves with new business enterprises. I am sad.Special Features:
- Fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/2/2014I had been here many times before but was having a group get together to celebrate my birthday chose French Meadow because of proximity to my home and because I knew their food to be well done. My entire table LOVED their dishes. Most hadn't been there before and raved about their choices, the decor and the experience. The waitress was super friendly and even gave us a head's up that the kitchen was super busy and therefore, our orders might take awhile (I LOVE it when places say that up front instead of making excuses when the food isn't out 'on time'). I have loved this place and will definitely continue to go back.Special Features:
- The following 71 reviews are from the French Meadow Cafe & Bluestem Bar reviews archive.
- LilyDined on 7/27/2014All was lovely except that the sweet potato Gnocchi was dry and very unappealing. Gnocchi is really hard to make as it is often dry, like this was, or slimy due to too much or too little flour, potatoes, kneading, etc. Making Ggocchi is truly an art and this time they missed the mark. The Shrimp and grits were wonderful - almost like soft polenta. Yum. The seafood paella was fabulous and the fried chicken and waffles were so delightful I could have eaten another plateful........................if I wasn't so stuffed. Portions were very generous and presentation was beautiful, even for the ill-fated gnocchi. I look forward to bringing friends and relatives to this delicious restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fondafoodDined on 7/26/2014We ate at the outdoor area and although it was a bit noisy because of the traffic, it was pleasant, nonetheless. I had the Apple Bleu Salad, which was very good and the Butternut Squash Ravioli, which was EXCELLENT - one of the best pasta dishes I've ever had! Although I don't recall what my friend ordered, she did remark that the food was wonderful. Our server was very pleasant and attentive. All in all, a perfect dinner experience. We both look forward to dining there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday nightliketwodineoutVIPDined on 7/25/2014We have been eating at French Meadow for 15 years and have always found the food to be excellent. Friday was a different experience. I ordered the fish tacos which I have ordered many times. I hardly recognized them. They had very little fish or taste and the tortillas were soggy. The house salad was limp and warm sitting in the bowl next next to the tacos. Very disappointing. My husband had the steak sandwich which he said was very good.Special Features:
- AngelaDined on 7/23/2014French Meadow is my favorite restaurant in the Twin Cities. First, the food is outstanding and, equally important, it is sourced with care. Animal products come from local, small-scale organic farms that treat animals and the environment well. Great vegetarian/vegan options for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert! I have ordered the vegan special on several occasions and it was excellent each time. This restaurant is ahead of the curve in the Twin Cities and I hope others will follow their exemplary model.Special Features:
- French Meadow reviewgood4friendsDined on 7/20/2014Their menu has a very nice variety of choices. The prices are a bit high seeing that most items are ala carte. The patio on the side is very nice. Wait service was good.Special Features:
- DisappointedVegDinerDined on 7/19/2014Appetizers were great. But the organic tempeh cutlet dinner was bland, overcooked and poorly presented. Don't bother with reservations; the reserved dining area was small and noisy; the open seating area in the front of the restaurant has a much more appealing ambiance.Special Features: