French Market Grille
15717 Bernardo Heights Pkway
San Diego, CA 92128Neighborhood:
Poway / Rancho Bernardo
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
French Market Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.frenchmarketgrille.com/
- Phone: 858-485-8055
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:30pm: Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Invite us to your next dinner party, cocktail reception , or office luncheon. We’ll be there with our award-winning cuisine and a menu custom-designed for the occasion. Complete Catering Services available from 10 people to groups of 200. For more information regarding French Market Grille Catering, call Patrick at 858-485-8055
A word from French Market Grille
French Market Grille is an affordable, neighborhood restaurant where friends and families could gather several times a week for casual dining and good company.We invite you to sample our award-winning cuisine, to linger over a bottle of wine and enjoy our cozy atmosphere. We offer specials every day. Open Seven Days a week for Lunch and Dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
French Market Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (26)romantic (24)great for outdoor dining (20)fit for foodies (20)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (5)good for groups (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- A Wonderful GemtoatwayVIPDined on 9/13/2014I have read many of the reviews on Yelp and yes, many are correct but this restaurant is still my favorite and a real neighborhood gem. The food is consistently good and we have come to know all of the staff. Yes, when I take clients out we go to the high end restaurants with all the hobnobbery that goes with it but my friends I take to the French Market Grill which, I feel, is a breath of fresh air. If you give it time the French Market Grill will grow comfortable like an old sweater, if not, you are going to notice the holes in the elbows and the missing button.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointment!!JazzDined on 9/12/2014We have been dining at the French Market Grill for 20 years, we went there last Friday night for my husbands birthday, when we walked in we were surprised to see the restaurant nearly empty on a Friday evening, when we ordered our dinner they did not have any of the hors d'oeuvre's or soup we always have then when the waitress was taking our order the selections were minimal to the point of only a very few items were available on the menu. So, none of their Signature dishes were available, at that point we should have gotten up to leave but it was my husbands birthday we had the family with us and just made the best of it but there was no best of it, the food was not as usual the service was poor, we will not return!!!
- a short trip to ParisPrbayVIPDined on 9/11/2014We found this enjoyable restaurant for lunch and then returned with some friends for Dinner another night. The sauces are fantastic and delicious. Everything we all ordered was enjoyable. Between the food, the atmosphere, and the service you feel like to are in a quaint french bistro in Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNotafoodieDined on 9/3/2014Waiter tried. There were 4 tables occupied, 1 waiter. Service was very poor, waited long time to order. Soup was warm not hot, crab cake a disaster. Looked like it had been run over, flattened and tasted burnt. Partner's fish looked much better. Didn't have two items listed on menu.Special Features:
- Great Food but…...diningduoDined on 8/28/2014The food at the French Market Grill is excellent, although the physical appearance of the dining area is showing its age and wear. Our first wine selections were unavailable, which also occurred during our last visit.Special Features:
- Lobster Sea Bass specialmlh2013VIPDined on 8/28/2014Went for the lobster tail and sea bass special. Sea bass was, as always, amazing. Lobster was undercooked but didn't want to send it back and wait. Service was outstanding-didn't have to ask for anything and waiter checked often but not intrusively often to see if we needed anything. Always enjoy dinner here-was just disappointed in the lobster.Special Features:
- A French experiencePrbayVIPDined on 8/27/2014While visiting Rancho Bernardo we came across this delightful restaurant. It was like having lunch in a French Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our special "go to" restaurantSinger4HimDined on 8/23/2014We've been going to French Market Grill since the opened and it remains one of our very favorites. It's a lovely place to take guests or just a quiet meal for the 2 of us.Special Features:
- Not what it has beenStevoskiVIPDined on 8/23/2014Not like numerous past visits. Maybe a new chef, I know the owner Patrick is still owner. I started with the usual French onion soup. Came out warm at best. Less than halfway through it was totally cold. Then had my usual steamed clams, tough, old and three dead ones in the bowl along with a lot of sand, not cleaned very well. Had to send back and waiter tried making the excuse we cannot get all the sand out. I do not expect all the sand out but each of the three clams I ate were loaded with sand! Choked on it. Entrée was salmon. Fish good but tomato based sauce was stone cold as were the veg's.. Dates duck was excellent though, tender juicy and very good. Lemon tart was good also.
- First time at French Market GrilleJPaeroDined on 8/22/2014I took my wife to the restaurant for a date night. At first there was some very loud noises coming from the kitchen so we loved seats to a quieter area. It hasa nice ambiance. After ordering we were served bread and butter but waited forever for our salad starters to arrive. Also, the butter was served chilled which makes spreading impossible. The salads did a rife and were tasty. We split the filet entree and it was very tasty but a little over cooked for medium. I don't think I will be using back as it seemed a little overpriced for the food you get.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/16/2014worst Caesar salad dressing I've ever had, usually really good food here - hope it gets back to normal
- Good food, bad servicemrframVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food was pretty good but the service was so bad that it ruined the experience. The table also had a number of small flies, flying around (20+). My wine had collected three in the glass and I gave it to the waiter. The restaurant décor was tired and lacked energy.
- Great foodChuckGDined on 8/10/2014The sea bass was great. I loved the vegtables and sauce served with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No on Pureed PotsdinerWillyDined on 8/9/2014Love the restaurant, the food and the service. However, I am not fond of the pureed potatoes I had with the excellent salmon on the 9th of Aug. They were too thin and watery. Suggest regular mashed instead, or perhaps even thinly sliced roasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good fooderahDined on 8/9/2014food was good but not hot, just warm. was cold by the end of the meal
- Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014The service was fine, the food was fine, the atmosphere was fine, but nothing was special. With the pricepoints in the mid-$20's for most entrees, we don't see any reason to go out of our way for a return visit.
- Great Nitev OutUTC2Dined on 7/26/2014We were a party of 4. Three of the orders were excellent. The fish on the fourth was over cooked but immediately replaced on request. The wait was wonderfully unobtrusive. The ambience was very pleasant. The new chef was good with his sauces. The desert crepes were great but I would have preferred an orange base sauce over the Grand Marinar.Special Features:
- GreatKarnakDined on 7/25/2014The food was cooked and presented just right.It was delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent eveningsmuckeyDined on 7/19/2014Our waiter (younger gentleman) was fantastic! He was able to accommodate our needs and was on top of everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat. July 19 specialOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The tournedos of beef special was excellent right down to the last vegetable.Special Features:
- Great foodEnjLveDined on 7/18/2014I loved food here. We had filet mignon, steamed claim and sea bass for our dinner. The beef was good! I loved the seafood the most. The quality and the way prepared by the chef! I prefer food here over Bernard-O, La Bastide Bistro, Blue Boheme....Special Features:
- great Bastille daykenkneeDined on 7/14/2014Dinner with friends to celebrate Bastille day. Great food for a celebratory day. Best Co Au Vin I've had there so far, must be the chef. Too bad its not on the daily dinner menu. Overall great dinner and vino.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An enjoyable neighborhood bistroluvgoodfoodDined on 7/9/2014This was our third time to French Market Grille and we have come to understand that it is a very nice, neighborhood bistro. The menu is a bit limited, but the food is good. They are always out of something - last time it was lemons and no one wanted to walk the 100 feet to Sprouts to buy more - but that is what you come to expect at this otherwise fine restaurant.The wine list is more limited than most, but the wines are reasonably priced and corkage ($20) is a bit steep for this venue considering that the stemware is of fairly low quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/4/2014We were there on the evening of the 4th of July the service,food and ambience were very good.An unexpecred treat was that we could view the fire works from our table which made for a great finish to our evening.Special Features:
- En français s'il vous plaîtpaulineg1955Dined on 7/4/2014Nous avons eu la chance d'être servi par un serveur qui parlait français. De plus, le propriétaire était présent et il s'est adressé à nous en français. Ce fût très apprécié.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/4/2014The food was pretty good but the service was so awful that it ruined the experience. The waiter was condescending initially, then virtually unavailable.
- Great RestaurantLynneDined on 7/3/2014We eat here at least every 2-3 months. It's always nice, sometimes great. It can be more than quiet depending how big the crowd. We like it quiet rather than loud so try to come a little later. Two of us had the bean with bacon soup of the day and it was excellent. All of the entrees were very good. One had scallops and thought it was very good. Two of us had the steak with bearnaise and it was very good. The atmosphere was very good and condusive to good conversation. The wine was very nice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scallops were to die for!Susan1484VIPDined on 6/29/2014Great preparation of food from a knowledgeable chef. Everything is prepared as you watch, fresh, unique in its sauces, and tasty. Great for those who enjoy a good French touch!Special Features:
- could be gooddsdinerDined on 6/27/2014This restaurant could be good, but it is outdated. The service is consistently terrible. The entire wait crew needs some good training. Our drink order was never taken. Our dishes were mis-matched. A saucer plate was a bread and butter plate. We were missing silverware. Please please train these people.
- Rude service, great foodGreat2findDined on 6/26/2014Food by far surpasses the wait staff and the decor, but it was odd to have my steak served in a huge bowl, i asked the cook before i was leaving and he apologized and said that they had run out of plates and he would address that to the owner. Sad to say will not be back for a while till the dump the waiters and buy some plates for peet sakes , too bad because some of our dishes were way better than their competitors near by.Special Features:
- Not the same as it used to be...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Very disappointing. This restaurant used to be a neighborhood gem, and sadly this is no longer the case. At 7:00pm on a Friday night - there was no mgmt, no host, no bartender, and just 3 servers and a cook running the show, and each server only had two tables each. Our first impression was that the restaurant might be closing - and after our experience we're certain it will be. The service was ATROCIOUS, their "signature" onion soup was the most tasteless we have ever had - we couldn't understand how something so dark and attractive could taste so bad. None of us (4) could eat it, and when our server took the bowls away, didn't even ask why we didn't eat it. No drink refills without begging and don't even ask for a glass of water!
- Neighborhood findGaGaMaDined on 6/16/2014The French Market Grill is tucked away in a small shopping center. It is worth looking for. The atmosphere is romantic and the food is delicious - everything from escargot to short ribs and duck. Prices are good also.Special Features:
- Good Food/Service Just OKmikeVIPDined on 6/15/2014I always like the food at this restaurant however; during more crowded times......Fridays, Saturdays, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Valentines the service is just not there.....too slow too cumbersome especially if you have a slightly larger partySpecial Features:
- BethVIPDined on 6/13/2014We had taken a break after some disappointing meals. There is a new chef who knows how to cook. Speed has picked up over the past few weeks and we have not been disappointed this time!Special Features:
- Really has changed for the betterEathereoften2Dined on 6/10/2014This time around was the best experience I have had at this restaurant yet, the menu has been reduced a little a few of my favorites are gone but the waiter told me he would ask the chef if he could make me a tortilla cheese sandwich, the chef said yes but I decided to try the Cobb salad, best I have ever had everything was fresher than normal, chicken hot, lettuce crisp, and the dressing just right. Wow what a change if they keep it up I'll be here every week. Thanks french marketSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service awesomeGreat2findDined on 6/10/2014Omg short ribs were soooooo good crispy on the outside , moist and so tender on the inside, the sauce!!! Wow perfect, the ravioli were just ok I think they defiantly we're not homemade so ahhhhh. But who cares wine was perfect Miguel our waiter suggested a bottle of chateau bizard off the list it was delicious, he was so attentive and great! The only thing was the bread wasn't hot but when I mentioned it the corrected it right away. Also the chocolate bomb he suggested was out of this world, apple tart was great but would have been better with caramel sauce. But over all what a excellent place, but my only really complaint was the chips of paint falling off the air ducts grossSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisedoves2cookDined on 6/8/2014Have eaten here many times, always a wonderful experience. This last visit did not meet our expectations. They were out of three items we ordered. Three of the entrees were very good, one was terrible over salted. The waiter seemed indifferent at best. I would however go back as I am hoping this was just an off night and not a sign of things to come.Special Features:
- Overall a delightful experiencePRVNDined on 5/30/2014Only issue was that a greeter needed to present, especially on a Friday night. Had to wait at least 10 minutes before someone acknowledged that we had walked in and were standing at the entrance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & ServiceFireandRainVIPDined on 5/25/2014We loved our dinner at the French Market Grille on Sunday night. We had almost teh place to ourselves and were seated in the patio near a fountain. Food and service were great...a very good French experience.Special Features:
- not what I expectedJeffTVIPDined on 5/24/2014Though they noted having several "classics", we tried a few including the French onion soup (bitter tasting), escargot (all garlic), and the scallops, which were good. We decided to go to another french place down the road which was much better, for our main course.
- The following 472 reviews are from the French Market Grille reviews archive.