French Market Grille
15717 Bernardo Heights Pkway
San Diego, CA 92128Neighborhood:
Poway / Rancho Bernardo
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
French Market Grille
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.frenchmarketgrille.com/
- Phone: (858) 485-8055
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:30pm: Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Invite us to your next dinner party, cocktail reception , or office luncheon. We’ll be there with our award-winning cuisine and a menu custom-designed for the occasion. Complete Catering Services available from 10 people to groups of 200. For more information regarding French Market Grille Catering, call Patrick at 858-485-8055
A word from French Market Grille
French Market Grille is an affordable, neighborhood restaurant where friends and families could gather several times a week for casual dining and good company.We invite you to sample our award-winning cuisine, to linger over a bottle of wine and enjoy our cozy atmosphere. We offer specials every day. Open Seven Days a week for Lunch and Dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
French Market Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (33)special occasion (28)fit for foodies (25)romantic (23)great for outdoor dining (19)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (8)great for brunch (4)good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Questionable?FrenchFoodieDined on 11/1/2014Dinner was not up to usual standards. Is there a new chef ? If so, he needs to bring it up a notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/31/2014Good food and service after a rocky start. Restaurant is looking aged. Music at times too loud and not appropriate for relaxed dining experience.Special Features:
- No chef, no brunchReadsAlotDined on 10/26/2014We had made reservations for an 11:30 AM brunch with friends. I had called before making the reservations to find out about what they served, and had been told that they added omelets and eggs benedict to the lunch menu. When we arrived we were told that the chef was not there yet, but we were seated in the lovely patio area. About a half hour later we were told he was there and we could place our order but only omelets would be made for those who wanted breakfast. They arrived very dry with nothing in them to hold the onions, mushrooms and bell peppers together. No sauce, no cheese. It was a rather unpleasant concoction. We were disappointed as we'd heard the restaurant served great meals.Special Features:
- We will returnRobGDined on 10/24/2014We enjoyed the lamb and sea bass entries. They were expertly prepared. The dining area was quiet enough for conversation without needing to raise our voices. Overall, an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FrenchyTomcat4130Dined on 10/21/2014Nice ambiance, very nice and classy but not to far as you need to wear a suit. Awesome place for date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome Back!davidVIPDined on 10/18/2014Please come back to here often. We enjoyed a family business dinner here. We come to enjoy the food and great service. Thanks.Special Features:
- A great find!foodaddict100Dined on 10/18/2014This is the first time I had been to this restaurant. A very pleasant surprise. I took a friend for lunch on a Saturday. We had the restaurant to ourselves. We ate on the open air patio. The service was superb and the food was excellent. The ambiance was quaint, with a French theme. I felt like I was at a European cafe. My friend had grilled eggplant, turkey and brie on grilled olive loaf bread. I had the grilled jumbo shrimp and spinach salad, both were delicious. Would definitely repeat. The only minor downside was that it is located in a strip mall type shopping center, but when you are inside the restaurant you forget all about that.Special Features:
- Had a great evening.FritzDined on 10/10/2014I took my wife here for our 5th wedding anniversary and it was the first time either one of us had eaten here. I am very glad we tried it. The food was very good and according to my wife (who spent a year college in France) was authentic. The service was very good, the ambience very pleasant and the price for the excellent quality of the meal was very reasonable. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Poor FoodNYfoodieGuyDined on 10/5/2014We went here and had a deal of Living Social for $100 worth of food. We had the tomato and mozzarella, crab cake and French oinion soup for apps, rack of lamb and shrimp scampi for our main course. Everything was bland and the sauce for the scampi was very pasty. The soup was also very dark and tasted like heavy wine and was not good and we love French onion soup. There was also only one waiter and he had a one assistant. However it was difficult for him to manage all nine tables at the time. Thank god we had the deal or I would have been very upset paying for a $130 meal of that poor quality. The only good part was the house wine glasses we ordered were a solid sized pour.Special Features:
- Baja Joe Goes FrenchBajaJoeDined on 10/3/2014This was my fifth or sixth time at the French Market Grille. I have never been disappointed. This time I ordered a Caesar salad and an entree consisting of short ribs accompanied by mashed garlic spuds and green beans. A glass of pinot noir complemented the entree which was cooked to perfection and served HOT (a pet peeve of mine). Presentation was very nice. Leisurely service allowed time to savor each course. Never felt rushed. Excellent - once again, a perfect 6-0 record. Highly recommend the FMG if you are looking for good food in the Rancho Bernardo vicinity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but...StephdDined on 10/2/2014They were out of my favorite dish, the braised short ribs at 5pm...do you mean you didn't make any that day? So disappointed.Special Features:
- Do overSmithdon31Dined on 10/1/2014Good food, great service, reasonable price. Definite repeatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencebananasplit5Dined on 9/29/2014I was reading reviews on the bad service and food, but it was not the case for me. It may have been because it was a slow night and they were not participating in restaurant week, but the service was pretty attentive, friendly, and helpful. The ambiance was nice. They have half bottles of wine which was nice. The food was most of the time good. The lamb and beef tenderloin were cooked perfectly. The au gratin potatoes & mashed potatoes were good. I loved the mix of vegetables but some were more cooked than what I liked. The escargot was good. The creme brulee was delicious but they need some work on not charring the top of it. I was slightly disappointed a little extra effort, like a candle, wasn't placed on our dessert (special occasion).Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServicecpadresVIPDined on 9/27/2014Top notch dining ! Great food choices ! Wonderful Ambiance ! Impecable Service !
- Great Food & ServiceChuckGDined on 9/25/2014We went for our anniversary dinner and enjoyed our visit. I had the Pate for an appetizer. It was good but did not come with any crackers only the bread on the table. My wife had salmon and I had the halibut and both were very well prepared and tasty. For desert we had the Crepe Suzette and the Chocolate Bombe and both were excellent. This would be a five star restaurant if the building had some fresh paint and was cleaned up. The service was very good.Special Features:
- Great PlaceLynneDined on 9/24/2014Once again, we came late,8PM and middle of the week. We were the only table after we were seated. That was fine for us. We sat in front of the fireplace which is one of our favorite table. The atmosphere is great. It was restaurant week and we took advantage of the menu. Two of us had escargot and our guest had the goat cheese salad. He said it was excellent. The escargot was good but a little tough. One of us had filet and I had swordfish as they were out of the sea bass. The swordfish was excellent. Our friend had the duck and said it was great. Next were the Desserts. They were out of the Apple Tart with ice cream. The lemon tart was very good. and the Crepes Suzette was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/24/2014It is over one year since my last visit which had a 'goon' as our server. This server had been there for years and his actions degraded from fair to terrible. I've seen him degrade people and always tried to make you feel stupid when you asked a question. The staff was new to me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great on our anniversary!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/20/2014We were disappointed by the service. Food was good however when told they had a vegetable soup for a starter it was not explained that it was heavily creamed and COLD. Needless to say I sent that dish back. I ordered the crab cake as a substitute appetizer but that never came. The saving grace was the bottle of white burgundy which my wife and I both appreciate We had had lunch there about a month ago and that was why we chose it for our anniversary dinner. Very disappointed.Special Features:
- Excellent food, great chef.LynneDined on 9/18/2014IT WAS A QUIET NIGHT. WE WERE THE LAST CUSTOMERS OF THE NIGHT AND THE ONLY ONE LEFT AFTER THE ONLY OTHER COUPLE LEFT. WE DIDN'T MIND , BECAUSE WE LIKE IT QUIET. OUR DINNER WAS AMAZING. I HAD THE FILET AND MY HUSBAND HAD THE PRIME RIB WITH BEARNAISE SAUCE. THERE WAS A NEW CHEF, AT LEAST TO US. APPARENTLY HE WAS THERE ABOUT THREE YEARS AGO AND IS NOW BACK. WE HOPE TO EAT THERE AGAIN SOON. WE SAT ON THE PATIO AND IT WAS VERY LOVELY.Special Features:
- Doesn't disappointMarySDined on 9/18/2014We went for a birthday. Food was wonderful. Our waiter even sang the first line of "Happy Birthday to You" in French.Special Features:
- A Wonderful GemtoatwayVIPDined on 9/13/2014I have read many of the reviews on Yelp and yes, many are correct but this restaurant is still my favorite and a real neighborhood gem. The food is consistently good and we have come to know all of the staff. Yes, when I take clients out we go to the high end restaurants with all the hobnobbery that goes with it but my friends I take to the French Market Grill which, I feel, is a breath of fresh air. If you give it time the French Market Grill will grow comfortable like an old sweater, if not, you are going to notice the holes in the elbows and the missing button.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointment!!JazzDined on 9/12/2014We have been dining at the French Market Grill for 20 years, we went there last Friday night for my husbands birthday, when we walked in we were surprised to see the restaurant nearly empty on a Friday evening, when we ordered our dinner they did not have any of the hors d'oeuvre's or soup we always have then when the waitress was taking our order the selections were minimal to the point of only a very few items were available on the menu. So, none of their Signature dishes were available, at that point we should have gotten up to leave but it was my husbands birthday we had the family with us and just made the best of it but there was no best of it, the food was not as usual the service was poor, we will not return!!!
- a short trip to ParisPrbayVIPDined on 9/11/2014We found this enjoyable restaurant for lunch and then returned with some friends for Dinner another night. The sauces are fantastic and delicious. Everything we all ordered was enjoyable. Between the food, the atmosphere, and the service you feel like to are in a quaint french bistro in Paris.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNotafoodieDined on 9/3/2014Waiter tried. There were 4 tables occupied, 1 waiter. Service was very poor, waited long time to order. Soup was warm not hot, crab cake a disaster. Looked like it had been run over, flattened and tasted burnt. Partner's fish looked much better. Didn't have two items listed on menu.Special Features:
- Great Food but…...diningduoDined on 8/28/2014The food at the French Market Grill is excellent, although the physical appearance of the dining area is showing its age and wear. Our first wine selections were unavailable, which also occurred during our last visit.Special Features:
- Lobster Sea Bass specialmlh2013VIPDined on 8/28/2014Went for the lobster tail and sea bass special. Sea bass was, as always, amazing. Lobster was undercooked but didn't want to send it back and wait. Service was outstanding-didn't have to ask for anything and waiter checked often but not intrusively often to see if we needed anything. Always enjoy dinner here-was just disappointed in the lobster.Special Features:
- A French experiencePrbayVIPDined on 8/27/2014While visiting Rancho Bernardo we came across this delightful restaurant. It was like having lunch in a French Cafe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our special "go to" restaurantSinger4HimDined on 8/23/2014We've been going to French Market Grill since the opened and it remains one of our very favorites. It's a lovely place to take guests or just a quiet meal for the 2 of us.Special Features:
- Not what it has beenStevoskiVIPDined on 8/23/2014Not like numerous past visits. Maybe a new chef, I know the owner Patrick is still owner. I started with the usual French onion soup. Came out warm at best. Less than halfway through it was totally cold. Then had my usual steamed clams, tough, old and three dead ones in the bowl along with a lot of sand, not cleaned very well. Had to send back and waiter tried making the excuse we cannot get all the sand out. I do not expect all the sand out but each of the three clams I ate were loaded with sand! Choked on it. Entrée was salmon. Fish good but tomato based sauce was stone cold as were the veg's.. Dates duck was excellent though, tender juicy and very good. Lemon tart was good also.
- First time at French Market GrilleJPaeroVIPDined on 8/22/2014I took my wife to the restaurant for a date night. At first there was some very loud noises coming from the kitchen so we loved seats to a quieter area. It hasa nice ambiance. After ordering we were served bread and butter but waited forever for our salad starters to arrive. Also, the butter was served chilled which makes spreading impossible. The salads did a rife and were tasty. We split the filet entree and it was very tasty but a little over cooked for medium. I don't think I will be using back as it seemed a little overpriced for the food you get.Special Features:
- Neighborhood FundavidVIPDined on 8/21/2014We come back for the great food and experience. We are happy to return to our local roots.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/16/2014worst Caesar salad dressing I've ever had, usually really good food here - hope it gets back to normal
- Good food, bad servicemrframVIPDined on 8/16/2014The food was pretty good but the service was so bad that it ruined the experience. The table also had a number of small flies, flying around (20+). My wine had collected three in the glass and I gave it to the waiter. The restaurant décor was tired and lacked energy.
- Great foodChuckGDined on 8/10/2014The sea bass was great. I loved the vegtables and sauce served with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No on Pureed PotsdinerWillyDined on 8/9/2014Love the restaurant, the food and the service. However, I am not fond of the pureed potatoes I had with the excellent salmon on the 9th of Aug. They were too thin and watery. Suggest regular mashed instead, or perhaps even thinly sliced roasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good fooderahDined on 8/9/2014food was good but not hot, just warm. was cold by the end of the meal
- Nothing SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014The service was fine, the food was fine, the atmosphere was fine, but nothing was special. With the pricepoints in the mid-$20's for most entrees, we don't see any reason to go out of our way for a return visit.
- The following 496 reviews are from the French Market Grille reviews archive.
- Great Nitev OutUTC2Dined on 7/26/2014We were a party of 4. Three of the orders were excellent. The fish on the fourth was over cooked but immediately replaced on request. The wait was wonderfully unobtrusive. The ambience was very pleasant. The new chef was good with his sauces. The desert crepes were great but I would have preferred an orange base sauce over the Grand Marinar.Special Features:
- GreatKarnakDined on 7/25/2014The food was cooked and presented just right.It was delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent eveningsmuckeyDined on 7/19/2014Our waiter (younger gentleman) was fantastic! He was able to accommodate our needs and was on top of everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.