French Market Bistro
16645 Highland Rd
Baton Rouge, LA 70810Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
French Market Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.frenchmarketbistro.com/
- Phone: 2257533500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Creole / Cajun / Southern, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Borivane Khemmanyvong
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Leave it all to us! Large or small, we can supply every detail of your next event. Lots of party friendly options are available including several of your favorite French Market Bistro menu items. We can also supply wine and liquor including full bar set up with supplies. Let our friendly staff tend to your guests while you enjoy your event.
- Private Party Facilities: French Market Bistro offers the perfect private setting for any gathering. Join us in our cozy wine room for a party of up to 12 guests or in our main dining room for a group of up to 75 guests. Additionally, our back dining room will accommodate up to 36 guests. Several dining packages are available to meet your needs. Ranging from formal sit down dinners to buffet style gatherings, or even cocktail receptions with passing hors d’oeuvres, French Market Bistro is sure to help you host your next event with ease. Reservations preferred.
- Private Party Contact: Bryan Bucari 2257533500
A word from French Market Bistro
French Market Bistro offers fine dining in an intimate casual setting. Signature menu favorites include our Eggplant Camelia, Santa Maria Crab Cakes, and our Chicken Caper just to name a few. Our Award-Winning soup, Cream of Brie and Crabmeat, is always a perfect start to any meal. Fresh grilled fish, sizzling USDA Prime Steaks, unique specials and salads are also common cravings amongst the guests at the Bistro. Let our in-house wine specialist help you choose the perfect bottle of wine from our extensive list of over 165 different wines including boutique wines and other rare finds. Or, cozy up to one of the most exclusive full service bars in town for a martini and dinner. You can also keep up with sporting events on one of 3 flat screen TVs throughout the restaurant. French Market Bistro is the perfect place for date night or family night, and is always kid-friendly. We look forward to providing you with an exceptional dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
French Market Bistro - Best Restaurants in Baton Rouge ›
French Market Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)romantic (12)special occasion (9)great for lunch (9)fit for foodies (8)good for groups (6)notable wine list (5)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A Long-time Favorite.wallyDined on 8/29/2014The Bistro continues the good work. The eggplant camelia is a fine appetizer, as are the egg rolls. The shrimp salad is huge and perfect every time. I had a small steak on the specials that was very good in spite of the fact that a lot less could have been going on on the plate, but that is an unfortunate trend in most Louisiana fine-dining restaurants these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceWineSnobDined on 8/9/2014My guest and I had an awesome experience. The food was great! Some of the best I've had there yet. I was shocked to find Caymus by the glass. That made my night.Special Features:
- Wowmgp1981VIPDined on 7/31/2014We were treated outstanding the entire visit! James is an awesome server. The steak lunch was phenomenal as well as the watermelon martini. My mom had the tennis special and it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, as alwaysMAFurnDined on 7/29/2014We enjoyed dinner a few nights ago with friends. As always, the food and service were wonderful. We enjoy dinner and lunch at French Bistro regularly because it is close to home and always very enjoyable.Special Features:
- AwesomBRdinerDined on 7/25/2014I never get tired of this place, great food, very creative menu and lovely atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014This was my second time at this place. It was absolutely delicious. I have already told my friends to go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timemgp1981VIPDined on 7/17/2014Loved the steak ! It was amazing! The bread pudding is too die for! I love the service, the food, and the wine options!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience.Foodie1VIPDined on 6/27/2014We were thrilled to see that they have finally updated their menu. My husband enjoyed the duck and quinoa soup. It was very good. I had the new Oyster Meadow Grouper entree. Beautiful presentation - so colorful - and it was delicious. My husband had the redfish with linguine. He was disappointed with that as it was a small portion of fish and there wasn't much seasoning on either the fish or the linguine. There was definitely a dramatic difference in the presentation of his entree compared to mine. The atmosphere was very pleasant and the service was great but we did feel like we were hurried along.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kidstoddlermomDined on 6/26/2014We take our kids here and don't feel too out of place, but we definitely get some looks from patrons as if to say "please doubt sit that family of four by me". They do have a good kid menu with several options that are very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not great!KatieVIPDined on 6/19/2014We had a good meal overall. We ordered the Shrimp & Pasta and the Lamb Chops. We thought they were both good but not great. Our server didn't even mention any specials that could have been ordered, as we heard other servers offering them. Overall....good but not great and also a little pricey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 66 reviews are from the French Market Bistro reviews archive.
- DandJVIPDined on 5/15/2014Very crowded for graduation with lots of large parties, so louder than usual. However, food was excellent (we all four had the fish special), and service was as well.Special Features:
- Not for familiesawesomeexperienceDined on 5/9/2014More of a bar for obnoxious older guys who tend to try to relive their youth rather trashy experience
- Great Girl's Nightmgp1981VIPDined on 4/26/2014James was wonderful as a server. He kept us entertained. We had a great time from food to drinks.Special Features:
- SpecialVicFromLouisianaVIPDined on 3/27/2014Their nightly specials are excellent and we really appreciate the creativity and variety. The blackened red snapper was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frech Market BistroeleanorrigbyDined on 3/26/2014This was my second time dining at The French Market Bistro and I liked it just as much as I did the first time. The food is yummy, the service was wonderful, and the lighting was comfortable. The menu gives you enough options to satisfy everyone.I recommend the grits; they were delicious!Special Features:
- so impressedtoddlermomDined on 3/21/2014My husband and I have dined here before and this time we were brave and brought our 3 and 2 year old children with us. The wait staff could not have been more enjoyable interacting with them and the kids menu had a lot of options. Our food was delicious as usual, and the atmosphere is intimate and lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome experiencemgp1981VIPDined on 3/15/2014Andrew was our server, he was a little busy but overall did a great job. We did have to wait a little long to order, but otherwise all was good. the food was outstanding. I ordered the steak special and my husband ordered the marinated seafood salad. We also started off with a salad a soup respectively. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal from the appetizer of sashimi tuna to the end my coffee. Would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Nuovo Louisiana RestaurantwallyDined on 3/6/2014Lunch for 6 at our favorite BR restaurant was predictably very good. Our friends were new to the Bistro and were very pleased. We ordered the bistro crabcakes and eggroll apetizers for the table, which everyone enjoyed. Some of the choices included the eggplant and crab magnolias, crawfish salad, and plank roasted redfish. The Bistro has consistently delivered excellent fare and great service since opening day. Keep it up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "Free" dessert for birthdayBRFoodieDined on 2/19/2014"Free" dessert for birthday celebration must have been old and microwaved but other than that, good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a predictable favoritewdkerekDined on 2/14/2014We had a great meal as usual.............always solid. This is our go to place for out of town guest!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The atmosphere is very relaxed,BRDINERDined on 1/17/2014The atmosphere is very relaxed, sort of rustic. The food was very good. Nice portions, well seasoned and very tasty. The only drawback I could see was the price. I've had similar meals in B.R. for less.
- Always up to the standardsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/16/2014We are always choosing this place when we have a special occasion or celebration for the last 4 years. And we always leave satisfied with the food, service and atmosphere. If you really want some good quality food and good service, this is a great place to find both. A bit more pricey, true, but it is worded.Special Features:
- Great for lunchCDM1Dined on 1/15/2014enjoyed the ambience and the food was great. Good selection and specials. The soup and salad was just right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fav SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/3/2014This is one of our favorite spots in Baton Rouge. Food and service is always excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eventboomer65Dined on 12/31/2013Always great food. Susan is a refreshing answer to average wait staff. My only issue was having to wait at the host station while the host took a phone in order. He was apologetic and seemed concerned that we had to wait but was out of his control. I feel that on New Years Eve night these orders should be taken at the bar, on line or not done at all.Special Features:
- Best kept secret in Baton Rouge ...Ivy1116Dined on 12/20/2013I absolutely love this restaurant. Everything on the menu is superb. Always. Great service. Great management Ambience. Everything you could ask for in a restaurant. So many good restaurants in Baton Rouge but I'd rather eat at the Bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Online reservation commentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/18/2013Food and dining experience was great. However, when we arrived a comment was made about how other places give poor seating for online reservations, presumably to give us the impression that we were being treated "special" despite this fact. It made me question not only the Open Table process, but also this and other restaurants' attitude toward it. There are always other places to dine . . .Special Features:
- Great foodGr8FoodDined on 11/26/2013By far the best steak in town. If you have enough room after your meal, the dessert is well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bistro for allJZBRDined on 10/25/2013We've really come to enjoy French Market Bistro. They have a great lunch menu offering some wonderful light (salad) options, and their steak and fish selections for dinner are exceptional. The wine list is great---ask for Bryan (one of the GMs) if you want some assistance with wines.Special Features:
- Food pretty good but service poorOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2013We had party of 6 - we were seated immediately and served water but it was awhile before server came to table - ordered drinks and were told about specials but were not brought menus so we asked for them - we didn't see waiter again for 20 minutes asked about drinks and menus - told bar was backed up - waited another 10 minutes and finally got drinks - 30 minutes from drink order to getting them - waiter started to ask if we were ready to order - we had to tell him we still did not have menus! Rest of the evening was ok - lots of crab shells in crab and Brie soup but food good otherwise - maybe would go back for lunch but not for nice evening out. Too frustrating.
- Awesome Timemgp1981VIPDined on 9/17/2013Great food and drinks! REally enjoyed the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Luncheon!lrkupermanDined on 8/26/201312 of us had a wonderful luncheon there. The food was very good and the service was great too. One of my favorite little gems in Baton Rouge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful visit!RetiredTeacherDined on 8/12/2013This was a group of retired teachers celebrating the first day of school. We really enjoyed the personality of our waiter (sorry I can't remember his name). He was attentive but not too much. He knew the menu and answered all our questered. The food was wonderful. Everyone loved their meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As usual, PERFECT...Ivy1116Dined on 8/6/2013Just love thus restaurant. Food is superb as is the service. Great location. Only bad thing is having to make a decision on what to order! Great menu, and the daily specials never fail to delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Bad Service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2013The food was absolutely amazing. Both my boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed everything we had including the ribeye, salmon, and oysters bienville. The only downside was that the service was extremely slow and inattentive. Luckily the food overshadowed this one bad point!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureHate2cookDined on 7/19/2013Enjoy dining there. It's not too big, you get a cozy intimate feeling about it. Food is good every time we have been there. This week was food week and had the filet. Marvelous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming restaurantAnnKVIPDined on 6/29/2013I had my granddaugter from Atlanta with me, and it was a perfect place to go. She had an enormous club sandwich, and I had a delicious canneloni stuffed with jumbo lump crabmeat. It was excellent and I would order that again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dismal food, but good servicedbenfieldVIPDined on 6/21/2013We tried this restaurant based on a few positive reviews, but were extremely disappointed. After ordering one of the restaurant's signature drinks, and sending it back because it taste like medicine, I was happy to see that our server was both helpful and friendly. However, that was the only highlight of the evening. My wife ordered the chef's special beef tenderloin and it seriously tasted like defrosted, 3-day-old ground beef. My lamb lollipops (claimed to be mid-rare) was medium, to mid-well, and came with so much mint jelly you'd think the chef had no palette at all. For apps, the crab and brie soup was meh, and the wedge salad was a waste. If you enjoy good food, find another place.
- Food and Ambiance Keep Us ComingfinefoodDined on 6/6/2013We celebrated my birthday at the Bistro and the evening did not disappoint. We were greeted at the door and shown to our table as soon as we arrived . Our waiter took our drink order and returned quickly with warm bread. He gave us a few minutes to look at the menu. We shared the crab cakes which were plump and delicious, all crab with no filler. Our salads were a bit disappointing. My husband ordered the Cesar Salad , it contained pecans but not the anchovy of the classic preparation. We both got the same dressing for two different salads. We both had fish entrees and the preparation was wonderful. Cooked perfectly it was moist and flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable!CajunarloDined on 5/29/2013The food was very tasty and our steaks were cooked perfectly. Our waitress took very good care of us. There was a good crowd eating this night but the restaurant was quiet so we could easily talk.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.