8050 Bodega Avenue
Sebastopol, CA 95472Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.frenchgardenrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7078242030x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: Wed - Saturday 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
DINNER: Wed - Sunday 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm
BRUNCH: Sunday 10:00 am-2:00 pm
HAPPY HOUR: Wed-Fri 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Arturo Guzman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: If you are looking for a private space for that birthday party, wedding rehearsal dinner, reception or business meeting. We have just the place for you. Whether your party is 20 or 150, whether you want a buffet or a five course meal, we are ready to serve you. The party has just begun, so join us when you can for a treat you won’t forget.
- Private Party Contact: Debbie 7078242035x
- Entertainment: Some of the finest musicians in Sonoma County perform in the Bistro Bar every Friday and Saturday, 7-10 pm (and sometimes other nights) with no cover charge.
- Special Events: Please check our website for concerts and special events!
A word from French Garden
French Garden Restaurant features farm-to-plate dining in both elegant & casual settings. Executive Chef Arturo Guzman creates French-inspired seasonal menus using daily harvested produce, herbs and culinary flowers from French Garden Farm, and the finest local meats, cheeses, and wild-caught fish. Enjoy beautiful patio dining, a private room for parties and special meetings, elegant dining areas for romantic dinners, as well as receptions, large parties, and weddings. The full bar offers a bistro menu, the finest local wines, beer, and signature drinks using fruits and herbs from our farm. There is also a cozy fireplace and live music on Friday and Saturday evenings with no cover charge.Continued
We look forward to serving you at French Garden.
We look forward to serving you at French Garden.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
French Garden - Best Restaurants in Sebastopol ›
French Garden reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (29)fit for foodies (22)special occasion (22)neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (17)great for brunch (17)romantic (17)great for lunch (15)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Nice brunchlove2eatDined on 10/19/2014Arrived for 10am brunch reservation. Opened doors at 10:05. Graciously seated and served. Eggs tasted farm fresh and bacon was flavorful and done to perfection. English muffin hardly toasted and marmalade very bitter. Potatoes and onions yummy. The espresso drinks, lattes, presented well, were not hot enough and the flavor dull and uninteresting. The atmosphere was serene and quiet....no clanging from kitchen, no obnoxious music....actually, no music, which I prefer, and our server was attentive and friendly. Great place for brunch if you like good food and a quiet, sane, atmosphere.Special Features:
- Worth the drive to SebastopolLove2EatDined on 10/17/2014The French Garden offers two distinct dining experiences - a casual bistro/bar setting, and a more formal restaurant. Four of us went on a Friday evening and wanted a more formal dining experience, so we opted for the restaurant, although the bistro had a steady buzz to it with live music and busy bar. We were seated in a more intimate part of the restaurant just behind glass doors to the bar area which allowed us to enjoy conversation, while still having the music in the background. The Old Fashioned and Mojito were excellent, Mussels and Crab Cake appetizers were plentiful. NY Steak, Duck and Quinoa w/ Zucchini were exquisitely prepared and presented. Last but not least the service was attentive, not hovering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now I know what VIP meansMaxwellVIPDined on 10/3/2014First, the food was very good and artfully presented. Also, the ambience is lovely. Then, one may ask, why a mediocre rating? Because the French Garden failed on "the little things" that matter a great deal. I am a Restaurant.com VIP customer whose reservation request indicated this was our 32nd anniversary celebration. All the outside seating was taken and we were seated in a table next to a wall separating us from the bar area. Second, there was no acknowledgement of our 32nd anniversary. This is also the first Restaurant.com restaurant that gave 0 points for dining there. So, no points, poor table and total lack of acknowledgement of our special occasion and I came to know what VIP with Restaurant.com means -- Virtually Ignored Party.Special Features:
- one great entree and one too toughSatisfiedVIPDined on 10/2/2014This is a lovely restaurant and we have enjoyed our meals here. However on the 2nd of October, my husband ordered the Duck and he couldn't believe how tough it was. He gave me a bite and I had to agree it was not at all what was expected. What we don't know is how is the chef to know this? My Pork tenderloin was melt in your mouth delicious.Special Features:
- A Gem in SebastopolgratontravelerDined on 9/27/2014Anyone looking for farm to table dining with a very high quality should not miss The French Garden in Sebastopol. The outside dining is superb if sometimes a bit noisy from street traffic, but the large quiet dining room and the equally large and more lively bar dining area can accommodate any size group. There is regular weekly music in the bar (outside in summer) and there are often educational series in one of the side meeting rooms. It is a locals place so when in the wine country, you should give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the DriveAliciaBDined on 9/26/2014Worth the drive through downtown Sebastopol on a Friday night. The foods were amazing although wait time was a bit longer than most others but overall a stellar dinner.Special Features:
- Lovely ambience and great foodsunshineDined on 9/13/2014I took my assistant to the Renaissance Fair in Sebastopol and to dinner to celebrate her second year in college. She has been doing so well that I wanted to treat her to something special. My mother joined us- so it was three ladies out on a Saturday evening. It was very nice. The ambience was big, showy but comfortable- so it was perfect as a treat to make my assistant feel important. The food was absolutely top notch- I got the duck, she the halibut and my mom got the pork chop. Everyone was very happy. We did not order a drink, but the wine list looked great. Service was excellent and with a smile. We all left happy!Special Features:
- 4divasDined on 9/13/2014MY guests and myself thoroughly enjoyed our visit at the French Garden and will be back hopefully many times. We were there for lunch so have no idea myself what the evening is like; however, my daughter was with my party and has been there several times. She actually recommended it to me and said it's just as lovely and fun in the evening. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OUTSTNDING ALL AROUND EXPERINCEBudMDined on 9/12/2014We dined here for the sixth time last Friday and as I left said to my wife---another great dinner --we must write a review. Here is the first one and we eat out quite a bit. The food, the ambiance and the service are outstanding. It is a complete menu, the food preparation is excellent and the quality is unmatched. Taste is subtle and exceptional. We have had the best service on every occasion . Several wait staff --at our initiation were delightful to engage in short conversation. We also attended a wedding anniversary dinner at the French Garden with a dozen guests and that was a masterpiece---each had their own appetizers main courses and desserts---flawless---unanimous opinion by all!Special Features:
- Great outdoor diningSquirrelVIPDined on 9/3/2014I love the patio at French Garden. Rosie always takes care of us. The service is amazing! Rosie even remembered what we ordered 6 months ago! Food always great. We ordered the Mussels. Seriously, you get a ton of Mussels for 14 bucks or so. Perfect lunch treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor BrunchdmillerzDined on 8/31/2014We went for the Brunch. It was beautiful outside on the day we went, so we ate on the patio. It was quite nice on the patio, but we did get a little too much road noise for our liking. No problems with auto exhaust, however, like I have seen in other patio venues. The service good and friendly. The things we ordered were okay, but nothing special. The mole with the Corn Beef Hash didn't go that well together IMHO, but if you are crazy about mole, it may suit you. The eggs Florentine had all the proper ingredients, but the proportions / executions was off. Overall, I am reconsidering taking my friends (who love organic & garden fresh food) to this place. We may try the Bistro to give the place a second chance before we plan a dinner for 4.Special Features:
- Mixed ExperienceJiminyDined on 8/22/2014Every vegetable dish was spot on! Less so other things, which seemed to have one ingredient more than needed. A bit too gussied up...perhaps they are trying to hard to be trendy. Waitress was very friendly and helpful to my beautifully-behaved 4-yr old date, but service very slow. (a large, somewhat noisy group in one private section, but only 3 or 4 tables in our section. Early dining should not really have taken nearly two hours for meal. Decor a bit strange, but not unpleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NJfoodiesVIPDined on 8/20/2014Had the Wednesday/ Thursday tasting menu. The food was excellent.Special Features:
- Locally grownJennyDined on 8/9/2014I especially live the fact they they have a farm that supplies their food, that's local! The service was exceptional! Beet salad was delish! Halibut tasted like it was plucked right out of the sea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Complete PackageSteveVIPDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I were very pleased with the overall quality of French Garden. Sat outside and had a lovely dinner. Would certainly recommend it for those in the area.Special Features:
- Perfect Garden SettingsedonaVIPDined on 8/2/2014French Garden is perfect for lunch or dinner. They have a beautiful patio to enjoy. The food is very good, and the presentation is exceptional. Been here quite a few times from Marin, and have never been disappointed. Will definitely return to enjoy their wonderful cuisine.Special Features:
- Consistently excellentBirdcallsVIPDined on 7/25/2014After suffering through previous poor ventures at this location and a rough start under the present ownership, The French Garden has hit its stride. For a couple of years now this establishment has consistently produced flavorful beautifully presented dishes at fair (for the Wine Country!) prices. The rooms are bright and open and uncrowded. The wait staff is attentive, friendly, and knowledgeable. The outdoor patio is comfortable and nicely landscaped so that the busy Hwy 12 out front is not a distraction. When the bar is in full swing, especially when a band is playing, it can get a bit noisy. We've got a lot of overblown pretentious expensive restaurants around here. At The French Garden you get good value for your dining dollar.Special Features:
- Good, but not exceptional.maddeningDined on 7/23/2014Our waitress was wonderful, though. yada yada yada. Is that 50 characters now?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerretiredoneDined on 7/18/2014There were 5 of us and we were treated so well. Service was wonderful and food beyond..Mussels, beet salad, Mac & cheese, New York Steak, Chacuterie plate, pork chops all delicious.....Drinks were great too. Compliments to all who work there. Definetly will return. Don't miss this one...Special Features:
- elegant casualShoshanaVIPDined on 7/16/2014This restaurant is elegant without a hint of stuffiness. It's relaxed and friendly, but so tasteful. I always enjoy the fresh salads and vegetables (try the fava bean soup and the goat cheese salad with halibut), but their burgers are delicious too (especially with bleu cheese)!Special Features:
- So glad we found this restaurant.lovestodineDined on 7/13/2014I have driven by here many times and missed a gem of a restaurant. Sitting outside on the terrace on a warm, balmy evening in Sebastopol makes for a most memorable evening. The goat cheese salad was nothing short of stunning. Every bite we tasted was a pleasure. Don't miss this one.Special Features:
- Fix Priced Menu does not disappointThursdayfixpriceDined on 7/10/2014Our dinners started with a wonderful garden salad with a lemon vinaigrette. Lots of variety in the garden ingredients, all very fresh. Our entree was marinated and seared tri-tip. Very tender and flavorful. The vegetable accompaniments we all very fresh and tasty. We especially liked the micro greens on the steak which had a anise flavor. The dessert was three fruit sorbets, just the right amount of sweet to finish the meal. We ordered a bottle of wine with our dinner which we enjoyed.Special Features:
- Who's in charge?MillValleyGuyDined on 7/5/2014We travelled about 75 minutes with friends to try this spot as we had seen it on a recent trip. Good parking, lots of space indoor and outdoor. Fun band in bar, where you dine if desired, but glass doors separated main dining room, good. All four entrees were excellent: pan trout special, risotto special, halibut, and duck. salads and tuna tartare v. Good as was chocolate desert. Only issue, when you arrive you tend to enter bar or dining area, but there is actually a front door where the hostess desk is, but you dont know that. We wandered around bar and dinig area for 5-7 minutes before finding someone to help with our reservations. And we had to ask. Wait staff very nice, but someone needs to manage this place. Seems no one is in charge.Special Features:
- ScrumptiousrubyellenDined on 7/4/2014Our dinner was wonderful. We ate at the Bistro because we wanted to hear music as well as eat. There were three of us each ordering different entrees and all three were hits. Ordered one French garden salad and divided it and it was really delicious. Presentation was really nice and seasonings perfect. Veggies so good, perfectly cooked and very fresh. So full we only ordered one dessert to share which was also good but hard to appreciate when so full. I have also had lunch in garden and it too was delicious. Really good service was also appreciated! I highly recommend.Special Features:
- The following 465 reviews are from the French Garden reviews archive.
- captain9Dined on 6/21/2014Our anniversary was outstanding! The service was excellent, from the front desk to the wine cellar. They had our favorite champagne at a very reasonable price. The ambience was inviting, calm, and welcoming. We'll be back here soon!Special Features:
- Ambiance trumps all1IntentionalTouristDined on 6/12/2014The vagaries of service, and food are upstaged by this lovely patio surrounded by greenery. It is a wonderful setting to create an intimate or festive occasion. Though good spirited and well intentioned, the service folks were off their mark. Missing place settings that required several requests, soup served without spoons. When our waitress was ready to leave she asked that we settle the tab, but encouraged us to stay as long as we liked. Which we did. She did not mention the restaurant would be shut down, so there was no access to the ladie's room. Touches like that peppered our luncheon...which, by the way, could have used some flavor. Still, for a delightful setting, I would return, hoping my knowledge would offset prior issues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful SettingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014My friend and I visited for a birthday lunch. The restaurant is beautiful. Our server was knowledgeable and helpful. Our food was amazing especially the fresh vegetable quesadilla. The vegetables are all fresh, organic, and locally grown. And of course, we had dessert. The dark chocolate cream pie with the orange reduction was heavenly, rich and perfect way to end a wonderful meal. I will be back and bring other friends!Special Features:
- lovely brunchCaroleCDined on 6/8/2014A group of 5 of us went to the Sweetpea Fest and brunched at French Garden. The food was great. The waitress did not know what an Aqua Fresca was and brought me a big bottle of water. We waited a long time for our food. Worth the wait and the others who had wine and ice tea were very pleased. Also, We originally arranged for 1PM but arrived 45 minutes early and that was handled very well! We will be back.Special Features:
- Lived up to reputationLorenzoDined on 5/31/2014Special occasion for a special person was the reason to try this Sonoma County Eatery. The somewhat heavy handed decor was the only reason for my not rating this solid restaurant an across the board 5 star rating. The preparation, presentation and service were excellent and made for a wonderful celebratory meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CyranoDined on 5/30/2014I love the place and they have some very interesting music in the bar which does not intrude into the dining area.Special Features:
- Lovely Ambiance - Good FoodLaHabraCookieVIPDined on 5/29/2014First time visit. Had a nice meal and good wine. The dining area is pretty, and though we did not go into the bar, it was quite busy and looked as though it would be a very pleasant place to get together with friends. The restaurant was also quieter than most places seem to be these days. Nice for a change.Special Features:
- Love this place!SusanVIPDined on 5/23/2014Beautiful garden type indoor/outdoor setting....wood bar, fireplace, live jazz/blues when we were there...and excellent food. Service can be a bit slow, but no biggy. Fresh produce from a local organic garden used largely... Overall great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French Garden has improved 100%DonnaPDined on 5/23/2014We have not eaten here for a couple of years and thought it was just ok back then. Now in the past month (on the recommendation of our daughter) we have eaten here twice, and both times it was outstanding. Great food and wonderful service. Both times we were a table of four and we all had a different dish. Everyone raved about their meals. 8 dishes and 8 thumbs up:-)Special Features:
- Our Sonoma Cty favjaz2020VIPDined on 5/23/2014We come often to Sonoma Cty and eat at FG more often than any other restaurant, ever since discovering it. Beautiful dining room, pleasant outdoor patios, great service--oh, and excellent food too! Skip the soups (except for the French Onion) and the cheese platter (skimpy). Concentrate on the salumi platter (generous and excellent) and fine salads. The burger here is one of our favs anywhere: the patty is properly salted, the bun is tender but doesn't fall apart, and adding Gruyere makes it perfect. It equals Hole In The Wall's lamb burger, and Vault 164/SMateo's flawless burger which is our gold standard (nothing in Oakland, alas, even comes close). Great place for lunch, brunch, or dinner--we've tried them all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining in SebastopolJimboDined on 5/16/2014We had a great dinner experience at this restaurant. They have their own farm, so the vegetables were right out of the garden. Accommodated both vegetarians and meat eaters nicely. Great presentation of the dishes. I had a terrific vegetarian risotto, others had shrimp cocktails, French onion soup, and another vegetarian entre. Nice wine selection by the glass and great service. Beautiful outside dining patio, but it's popular and often full, so mention outside seating in the reservation if you want that.Special Features:
- Happy Mothers Dayeatnow123Dined on 5/11/2014Beautiful building and grounds. The dining room was generous, not crowded tables all together. Outside however was too close to the street for me. I would prefer the outdoor sitting maybe on the other side of the building. Food was very well prepared and arranged on the plate like a work of art!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's DayDelciousDined on 5/11/2014Had a lovely delicious meal on Mother's Day. Our reservation was for 1:45p so the trays were a little empty when we went to dish up our meal and some of the desserts were gone by the time we got to that part of our brunch. The food was excellent - absolutely delicious and the variety was outstanding. Our table was right at the entrance to the buffet and it was very noisy and too many people swarming around, would have enjoyed a quieter location. For the cost, I was surprised a glass of champagne wasn't included. Will definitely look forward to dining there again. Thank you my mother was very pleased with her awesome salmon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dessertdivaVIPDined on 5/8/2014What a wonderful find! The food was excellent and beautifully presented. The service was outstanding. Unfortunately, it was raining, so we couldn't enjoy the beautiful patio. We will definitely visit again when we return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine diningMopyDined on 5/4/2014The food was very good and presented artfully. Service was excellent. So glad we finally got back here.Special Features:
- Great Eggs BenedictOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2014My husband loves Eggs Benedict made with real hollandaise, so this place hit the spot. I also love their special occasion brunch buffet. I wish they had that every weekend!Special Features: